Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sirrus 700c 6 bolt disc QR 17mm Replacement Front Wheel

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 01:01 AM
versicom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I unfortunately bent my front wheel on my Specialized Sirrus road bike and the shop says it's beyond repair. The bend isn't terrible and there are no cracks but the shop (who I trust) says it can't be trued straight again. Is there such a thing as a place online that I can send it to for truing surgery? I'm confident that someone with the right knowhow and tools can fix it.

Otherwise, I'd be super appreciative if someone can point me in the right direction for finding a new or used replacement online somewhere? I'm striking out and no one locally has a suitable replacement in-stock. Thank you!

My exact model:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/si...r=172538-65570
Old 07-08-21, 08:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Without looking at your wheel, I'll side with the shop. You are not likely to save any great amount of money trying to cheap out and attempt to salvage a wheel that's been said to be not worth any effort.

I suppose you might find some one that for some reason is feeling very gratuitous and they choose you to be the one they gift their time and patience to to give you a great deal. But how the heck will you find that person?

Completely built wheels are what I buy. Either from the LBS or online. Whichever has what I want at the time I need it. What did your shop offer to do for you? Not all shops maintain a wheel building facility. They might do truing and basic stuff, but just buy entire wheels for anything more than that. If your shop is like that, then maybe look for another that actually does wheel building and get their opinion of what can be done for your damaged wheel or what their solution is.

It's been awhile since I've needed to purchase wheels. Besides the LBS, I've bought wheels from these places:

https://www.jensonusa.com/

https://www.universalcycles.com/

Specialized sells wheels too:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...s#/perpage:500

Last edited by Iride01; 07-08-21 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-08-21, 11:22 AM
versicom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Without looking at your wheel, I'll side with the shop. You are not likely to save any great amount of money trying to cheap out and attempt to salvage a wheel that's been said to be not worth any effort.

I suppose you might find some one that for some reason is feeling very gratuitous and they choose you to be the one they gift their time and patience to to give you a great deal. But how the heck will you find that person?

Completely built wheels are what I buy. Either from the LBS or online. Whichever has what I want at the time I need it. What did your shop offer to do for you? Not all shops maintain a wheel building facility. They might do truing and basic stuff, but just buy entire wheels for anything more than that. If your shop is like that, then maybe look for another that actually does wheel building and get their opinion of what can be done for your damaged wheel or what their solution is.

It's been awhile since I've needed to purchase wheels. Besides the LBS, I've bought wheels from these places:

https://www.jensonusa.com/

https://www.universalcycles.com/

Specialized sells wheels too:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...s#/perpage:500
Thank you for the info. I’m thinking a used wheel would make sense considering the age of the bike and the high cost of new wheels. I’m also quite happy with my rear wheel still. Besides eBay is there a good used bike parts marketplace online you like?
Old 07-08-21, 11:38 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,991 Times in 2,664 Posts
If you are having issues with your old used wheel then replace it with something new, new disc wheels are fairly easy to come by (non-COVID) and would ensure a warranty should something happen and certainly a likelihood they have been built properly and trued at least somewhat before they landed on your bike.

I would not try to save the old wheel unless super valuable and while you have a decent bike those wheels aren't worth a ton.
Old 07-08-21, 01:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Most everything for bicycles used on eBay or craigslist is more than MSRP. If you have no experience with buying a wheel, decide if you want to be willing to pay the cost of tuition if you mess up or whether you'd rather let the LBS get you a wheel.

Unless you have to have the same brand markings on front and back then there is no reason to buy anything more than the wheel that's trashed.

If you want used, I'd trust TheProsCloset . I really wouldn't have an issue with eBay, but if you buy from a seller there, then google search on that same wheel description. There have been plenty of times where I find that same item being listed on the seller's website independent from eBay for less. You'll also be able to find other of the same wheels and compare prices to see if you are being ripped. Ebay and Amazon are seldom deals for bike stuff.

There is also the possibility that you can buy a rim and needed spokes using the same hub. If your shop didn't offer that option, then probably they don't build wheels themselves. Call others near by and see if they will put a new rim on that hub. Rims generally are cheap. Spokes add up quickly to the cost.

There should be a label on your rim telling most of the needed info. So snap a pic of it. The ISO/ETRTO size is the most important. If those are 700C or 29" wheels then the BSD will be 622 mm but you probably ought to get the same internal width as the current set. Also a shot of your brake disc so everyone will know what type attachment the disc uses.

Spacing of the front fork ends is something else you'll need to know along with whether it's a Thru-axle or skewer.

So any mistake when you order a wheel will again be your cost of tuition. Consider just letting it be the shop's headache.

Also, with inventory being scarce and prices being outrageous, I'd probably just get the cheapest thing that will work. Then when inventory and prices return to normal, replace it with what I'd really want to put on it.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-08-21 at 01:18 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-08-21, 02:43 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
velomine.com is a source of good wheels at good prices. They tend to show wheelsets on their website, so give them a call about a front wheel. Craigslist is a source for wheels that you can touch before you buy.

Your bike may be old, but consider the cost of a new wheel in the context of the cost of replacing your bike, if that's your alternative. My bike probably wouldn't garner $200 if I tried to sell it, but it's a lot cheaper to keep it going than to buy a new bike....
Old 07-08-21, 11:05 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc... It doesn't have to be exactly the same as your current wheel, just compatible with your bike. QR and 700C being the most important.
Old 07-20-21, 04:38 PM
versicom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found a replacement new wheel through my local bike shop for 70 bucks from Bontrager Connection. I had to check with three different bike shops and finally found one dude who was willing to give me a hand and help find one. Super stoked. Thank you for all the input!
Likes For versicom:
Old 07-21-21, 08:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by versicom
................I had to check with three different bike shops and finally found one dude who was willing ....................
Sadly I too sometimes find the people at the LBS a little standoffish at times when you'd think they'd want to be jumping up and down that you came in their almost empty shop. Sometimes they are just busier than you think. Just because there aren't customers at that time doesn't mean they aren't busy with other chores of maintaining their business. So sometimes, just leave and return later.

Making a regular visit to all the LBS's even if you don't buy anything seems to give them a chance to loosen up some and get to know you. Once that happens I find that they seem to go out of their way more to help when I really need them.