Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fraudulent online vendor: bikedescent

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fraudulent online vendor: bikedescent

Old 07-22-21, 11:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Check the dictionary; "should" doesn't mean did or didn't, and I was aware they didn't; I'd have a new CC if they did that to me, and wouldn't stop trying to recover the funds. There must be a CC monitoring system.
He WASN'T protected. And if you read and think about the details as to why (and which bank is involved), it seems highly unlikely that the bank will change its decision.

Off to update the iggy list,
Old 07-22-21, 11:20 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I had a similar situation with a total scam, but was protected by PayPal (it was an ebay purchase and I believe they would have reimbursed me too or as a last resort, my CC). Don't know what the jerks got out of the deal unless a certain percentage of individuals don't bother to fight them. Assuming the OP used a CC, he should be protected. Lesson learned and will purchase only from trusted vendors from previous transactions.
I had an E-Bay purchase where I purchased bicycle brake cables, and got phone cables.

I assume it was an honest mistake (the number of phone cables matched the order). The vendor wanted me to pay for the phone cables, but I eventually got a full refund and bought my bake cables from another vendor.

How does one know "reputable" companies, Ribble, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Universal, bikediscount.de, etc? Some can be good one day, then vanish the next. Niagra?

I do buy Chinese direct from time to time E-Bay, Amazon, Alibaba, Aliexpress.

Aliexpress has a unique system where the payments are held in escrow until a week or so after shipment is received. So a dispute goes to Aliexpress (so far I've never had to do that). PayPal does something similar, especially with new vendors.

I might have bought from the OP's company, with the caveat that all the products appear to be cheap generic China imports. Some are good, some are not. I got one of those bicycle shaped multi-tools for Christmas. Cute tool, but chunks broke off with the first use.

Sometimes companies drop ship, so a shipment can come in more parts than one would otherwise expect.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-22-21, 11:34 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I had an E-Bay purchase where I purchased bicycle brake cables, and got phone cables.

I assume it was an honest mistake (the number of phone cables matched the order). The vendor wanted me to pay for the phone cables, but I eventually got a full refund and bought my bake cables from another vendor.

How does one know "reputable" companies, Ribble, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Universal, bikediscount.de, etc? Some can be good one day, then vanish the next. Niagra?

I do buy Chinese direct from time to time E-Bay, Amazon, Alibaba, Aliexpress.

Aliexpress has a unique system where the payments are held in escrow until a week or so after shipment is received. So a dispute goes to Aliexpress (so far I've never had to do that). PayPal does something similar, especially with new vendors.

I might have bought from the OP's company, with the caveat that all the products appear to be cheap generic China imports. Some are good, some are not. I got one of those bicycle shaped multi-tools for Christmas. Cute tool, but chunks broke off with the first use.

Sometimes companies drop ship, so a shipment can come in more parts than one would otherwise expect.
Thanks for the info. Good for me (now) means I've used them before successfully (like Amazon, Bell's Bike Shop on ebay or CRC) or reasonably expect them to be reputable even if I haven't used them (Wiggle). Realize I could still get burned, but one can only be so careful.
Old 07-22-21, 11:39 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
He WASN'T protected. And if you read and think about the details as to why (and which bank is involved), it seems highly unlikely that the bank will change its decision.

Off to update the iggy list,
As I stated above, and guess you still don't know the definition of should, I wouldn't have stopped there. You and the other individual who can't fathom simple sentences are heading to "ignore".
Likes For 2old:
Old 07-22-21, 11:39 AM
LDuncan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I missed this so much
Old 07-22-21, 12:01 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
Send your credit card info over to me and I'll see if I can't straighten this out for you.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 07-22-21, 12:22 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,909 Posts
As I stated above, and guess you still don't know the definition of should, I wouldn't have stopped there. You and the other individual who can't fathom simple sentences are heading to "ignore".
Oh please not your ignore list! *******.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-22-21, 12:33 PM
PeteHski

Obviously some have been around a long time and proven themselves to be reliable. If I buy from a new source I do a bit of background checking first. For example I bought a Garmin head unit from an online shop I didn't know. But a quick check showed that it was a small brick and mortar bike shop of long standing, just not a big online seller. I've also bought complete bikes from similar sites that are backed by actual bike shops. I tend to trust those. I tend to steer well clear of anonymous online sellers I've never heard of selling stuff very cheap. Sigma Sports is my go-to online retailer at the moment. They have quality stock, competitive prices, quick delivery and 2 actual bike shops in the UK. Of course they could go bust overnight, but you would have to be unlucky to get caught like that.
Old 07-22-21, 12:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Oh please not your ignore list! *******.
I earn a good living from my ability read, comprehend and write. Despite attempted insults, I still feel sorry for people who cannot admit when they slipped up. It happens much more (and too) frequently these days. Not sure why. Maybe it's Al Gore's fault fro inventing the Internet.
Old 07-22-21, 12:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Thanks for the info. Good for me (now) means I've used them before successfully (like Amazon, Bell's Bike Shop on ebay or CRC) or reasonably expect them to be reputable even if I haven't used them (Wiggle). Realize I could still get burned, but one can only be so careful.
Most reputable companies will try to fix their errors. Accidents happen, shipments get lost, inventory can be incorrect, etc... and they'll try to fix it.

Building a reputation is important, far better than quibbling about a few lost parts.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-22-21, 01:26 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Send your credit card info over to me and I'll see if I can't straighten this out for you.
You forgot the S.S. number.
Old 07-22-21, 06:45 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Most reputable companies will try to fix their errors. Accidents happen, shipments get lost, inventory can be incorrect, etc... and they'll try to fix it.

Building a reputation is important, far better than quibbling about a few lost parts.
warranties that don't have subscript fine print & are honored without the legwork speaks volumes for a company. Old Sears Craftsman hand tools was like that...............
Old 07-22-21, 10:52 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I earn a good living from my ability read, comprehend and write. Despite attempted insults, I still feel sorry for people who cannot admit when they slipped up. It happens much more (and too) frequently these days. Not sure why. Maybe it's Al Gore's fault fro inventing the Internet.
He didn't slip up. You just failed to understand English. I understood what he meant without issue.
Likes For guachi:
Old 07-23-21, 06:01 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
if the lbs orders it thru the risky online retailer, then the customer is safer going the lbs route.
But you better check the LBS return/order cancellation policy fine print for restocking fees if it comes in and you're not satisfied with the product.
Old 07-23-21, 07:20 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by guachi
He didn't slip up. You just failed to understand English. I understood what he meant without issue.
The clue was "assuming the OP used a CC" which strongly implied he didn't even bother to read the OPs very first post.
Likes For PeteHski: