Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Best bike for a college student

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 07:08 AM
Mickeymann

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My son is an incoming freshman at Univ. of Oregon....pretty flat campus, lots of rain. I'm getting him a bike for high school graduation. He thinks he needs a single speed road bike to get around campus. Is a hybrid better? With the wet weather and parking outside, what is the right bike for this kid? $300 budget.
Old 04-13-15, 07:17 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
A new bike for college? Look for something used. Old, 90s or early 2000s era hybrid. Might even be a good thing if it looks a little beat up. College campuses are magnets for bike theft. Make sure you get him a decent lock as well.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 04-13-15, 07:51 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
I have had two in college and about to send a 3rd, so I have seen a few campus bike racks.

The bikes are going to be outside in the weather, and jammed in a cluster, so a new bike is not going to look that way for long. Look at the bikes in the racks when you go on a tour. You don't want something that stands out as a theft magnet. My ideal campus bike would be old and beat up, but mechanically sound. Single speed mechanical bits are easier to keep working than a fragile derailleur.

Check on where he has to park the bike, in relationship to where his classes are. My daughter stopped riding her bike because the time to put the bike in the rack didn't make it any faster than just walking.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-13-15, 08:08 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
My daughter stopped riding her bike because the time to put the bike in the rack didn't make it any faster than just walking.
Not to mention the social aspect of talking to friends (and dating prospects) as he's walking between classes may dissuade bike use.

I'd suggest something else for a nice graduation gift and shop craigslist for an ugly yet mechanically sound bike. Especially if you're near any large college and graduating seniors are unloading stuff.
Old 04-13-15, 09:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
my 2 cents, let him pick out his own bike, then let go of whether it's a good choice.

personally I wouldn't get a college kid a new bike cuz it will likely be vandalized or stolen, but that's my opinion
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-13-15, 01:32 PM
Mickeymann

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great advice, folks. I appreciate the insight.
Old 04-14-15, 10:15 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
If you can, or know somebody who can, true wheels and make other adjustments to a bike just out of the box...
Nashbar Hounder Single-Speed Road Bike

Nashbar Argyle Single-Speed Bike

www.nashbar.com

Follow the special discounts they offer. You can catch 20% off sales now and then, which can also be a great time to stock up on accessories. Another good time to stock up on "bike stuff" is during their "at least 72% off on 72 items for 72 hours" sales. Some reviewers said the saddles on the bikes above were uncomfortable, but you sometimes catch those for about $12 on sale at Nashbar.

As far as hybrids go, for example, second hand Treks from the '90s are pretty nice. Sometimes you catch them in excellent shape for $100+/-. Make sure the frame size is correct. The components and frame material are usually indicators of how good the overall quality is. Pretty decent new tires can be had online for about $30 a pair when on sale. BTW, heavier riders may do better with mountain bikes and wider tires. Include a helmet, lock and cable, patch kit, foot pump, multi-tool, and a spare inner tube or two with the bike.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 04-14-15 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-14-15, 10:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Spend a Lot on Strong Locks since College Bike racks are a bike thief's hunting grounds ..
Old 04-14-15, 02:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Is your kid here in Oregon yet?

Fixies and single speed (not quite the same) are popular , but I've never figured them out.

Eugene has a wonderful network of riverside and canal side bike paths which are flat and would be great for a fixie. To the north it is relatively flat. However, in all other directions it can be hilly (not so great for fixie bikes).

I'm not a MTB person, but there are some active local MTB groups and some trails for riding.

$300 is low for buying a good "road bike", although apparently there are quite a few good used ones listed on Craigslist in Southern California. You could buy an OK (cheap) fixie for that amount for getting around campus.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
my 2 cents, let him pick out his own bike, then let go of whether it's a good choice.
I agree, get him involved.

It might be a fun last family project to hunt down a good used bike on Craigslist. Tune it up in the garage, then send him off with it. Get exactly what he wants.

Or, perhaps send him up to Oregon with $300 in the pocket and have him buy a bike here, and thus you don't have to worry about shipping and transportation.

Eugene used to have a theft problem. I don't know what it is like now.

I rode a pretty nice Colnago road bike through my college years and never had a problem.

It was under the bed when in my Co-op. I think I had it often locked right outside the door at my quad (and usually walked the half mile to campus). But I also commuted the 8+ miles to campus from my parent's house on it. I might have been saved by the huge popularity of the MTBs at that time, but I was always very particular about locking my bike, and it was never left out on campus at night. I think when I would study late, I often brought it inside the building with me.
Old 06-25-20, 07:09 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I would suggest looking for a bike that does not have quick release wheels and saddle. They would be way to easy to steal.
Likes For jskash:
Old 09-22-20, 03:17 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Enswearry
Thank you for tips about safety and bike type, I am about to buy my first one on my own.
College student? Because I have to agree; beater bike that runs well. Bike theft is a cottage industry here, especially at Humboldt State University (aka Hills and Stairs University), so CraigsList or a bike co-op should have something for you. Also, if you go in knowing there's a chance your bike will be stolen, you won't be as shocked if it happens. Here's hoping it doesn't.
Old 04-28-21, 12:50 PM
l_Simmons000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Student bike

What rating do you use to choose the best bike for students? Is there some kind of scale of choice or is it all rather arbitrary and does not affect anything. After all, I can recommend several modern options. Of course, choosing them isn't as easy as continuing to college.
Old 04-28-21, 11:07 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
I like his idea of a single speed road bike.
Old 04-29-21, 07:45 AM
lateflyer 

Bikes: Giant Sedona CS

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Daughter's boyfriend has had two stolen on a campus you wouldn't have thought it would have been a big problem. I agree with others, cheap looking bike that works well and spend extra on a good lock.
Likes For lateflyer:
Old 04-29-21, 10:41 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
You MUST assume this bike is going to be stolen. This posture leads to a "no tears" situation. In fact, I'd say "you take this bike to school and if you make good marks, I'll get you a better one for off-campus use in the future." My high-school graduation present, a nice SLR camera, was ripped-off from my dorm room on the second day of freshman year - and I'm STILL bummed about it (don't ask). Get a used hard-tail mountain bike, wrap it with used inner-tubes, get a big U-lock/cable combo that isn't too easy to cut (they all are to some extent) and possibly invest a little to make the fit right. One day you just might get the call of "well, Dad, you were right. they stole it" and, as parent of two college students - you won't hear that "you were right" too often. I'd give them the bike as a "go get 'em" present, not as a graduation present.
Old 03-15-22, 01:03 PM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It sounds like he knows something about bikes. So just take him shopping at a bike store and let him pick. And get a good lock that can be secured to a rack.

My son changed careers and went back to school at UNC Chapel Hill with a nice mountain bike and a cheap lock. Bike was stolen within the first semester. The replacement had a much better lock and survived the rest of school.
Old 03-15-22, 02:39 PM
sande005

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm way past collage age, but the above tales ring true. Bought a real beater of a bike the summer after high school graduation, and spent a fair amount of $$ replacing/upgrading the components and making sure it was perfect mechanically. It looked horrible, but rode great. Included a very stout lock. Stolen 3 days after I arrived on campus! From then on, I didn't have a bike unless I was living somewhere where I could bring it inside.
He will be transporting things while riding, whether via backpack or strapped on to a rack - so have him test out his potential steed for such use.
Old 03-16-22, 06:36 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts

1971 Schwinn
My daughter rides a 1971 Schwinn for all her campus jaunts. It was cheap,($25.00) easy for her to maintain, and nobody "wants" it!!