Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Long life

Old 08-30-17, 11:30 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Long life

This post might as well be in training and nutrition but I think it will be appreciated more here. Jeanne Calment, World's Elder, Dies at 122 - The New York Times Madame Calment rode a bike up to about her 100th year or so. In the last few days, a report on research puts a large amount of blame on carbs for bad health and fats are viewed with a much kinder eye. The French are not shy about fats in the diet and they are generally long lived. It seems diet as well as lifestyle have far reaching consequences.
Old 08-30-17, 11:49 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Then again, the last oldest human to die was the last known survivor of the Holocaust and centenarians do a lot of the things the rest of us do - smoke, drink and eat stuff they say is bad or good for you depending on who needs to pay their bills at the time.

The final arbiter is fate.

Last edited by Rollfast; 08-30-17 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-30-17, 11:57 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Fun article, thanks for sharing even though they don't give much detail about her cycling. Sounds like she was quite a character in all aspects of life.

All good for her!

Rick / OCRR
Old 09-01-17, 07:49 AM
mapeiboy1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long life : for average Joe/Jane is the luck of the draw . Whereas the royals/very rich all over the world live a long life all because they don't have stress in their daily life .
Old 09-01-17, 07:58 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mapeiboy1
Long life : for average Joe/Jane is the luck of the draw . Whereas the royals/very rich all over the world live a long life all because they don't have stress in their daily life .
They do. The difference is, they thrive on it . . . . .
Old 09-01-17, 10:35 AM
jeromeoneil

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tass, Trek Crossrip 3, Miscellaneous Trek frames

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I dropped 50lbs by doing nothing other than regulating my carb intake, so I can vouch for that aspect of it's health benefits. I also never felt like I was denying myself good eating while I did it. I can eat meat, fish and green vegetables all day long and be completely happy. I'm not crashing on the carbs any more (whole grain breads, etc..) but I really don't eat the sugars that I used to. I'm due to have my cholesterol check soon (life insurance inspection coming up) and I'm curious to see what the increased fat intake means there.

I've still got some weight to lose, but I'm going to do that via increased physical activity, and keep drinking beer.
Old 09-01-17, 11:16 AM
berner

Madame Calment seems to have consumed quite a bit of chocolate. I don't know how important this may have been to her longevity but I just stocked up chocolate just to be on the safe side. She also was an advocate of the "don't worry, be happy' school. In the past we have been warned about the cholesterol in chocolate but I've decided not to worry about it.
Old 09-01-17, 11:18 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
They do. The difference is, they thrive on it . . . . .
Let's not forget about the best medical care and finest foods that they have.
Old 09-01-17, 12:00 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Madame Calment seems to have consumed quite a bit of chocolate. I don't know how important this may have been to her longevity but I just stocked up chocolate just to be on the safe side. She also was an advocate of the "don't worry, be happy' school. In the past we have been warned about the cholesterol in chocolate but I've decided not to worry about it.
In moderation, really dark chocolate (85-90% cacao, the stuff my wife and I eat at home) is good for you.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-01-17, 12:30 PM
jeromeoneil

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tass, Trek Crossrip 3, Miscellaneous Trek frames

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
In moderation, really dark chocolate (85-90% cacao, the stuff my wife and I eat at home) is good for you.
Yup. Rich in anti-oxidants. It's the sugar we add to "milk chocolate" that makes it delicious death candy.
Old 09-01-17, 06:24 PM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
longevity studies have always pointed out war time survivors lived the longest - it seems the less food you eat the the longer you live. I think maybe food clogs up our arteries......First world problem - it can be hard to eat just to live.....the rich don't necessarily live longer.....they sometimes eat too well.....
Old 09-02-17, 03:56 PM
chelvel

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machoman121
longevity studies have always pointed out war time survivors lived the longest
They just had a better health, that's why they had survived.
Old 09-02-17, 04:41 PM
atitagain

Bikes: caad 8 c'dale , trek madone 5.2

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machoman121
longevity studies have always pointed out war time survivors lived the longest - it seems the less food you eat the the longer you live. I think maybe food clogs up our arteries......First world problem - it can be hard to eat just to live.....the rich don't necessarily live longer.....they sometimes eat too well.....
war survivors definitely live the longest compared to the casualties . I have been whole food plant based vegan for 2 years . Feeling too good to even consider going back to a SAD diet . I'll let you know about the longevity issue when I'm done . Peace .
Old 09-02-17, 04:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5755 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Speaking of long life, the article the OP referenced is 20 years old.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-02-17, 05:59 PM
chelvel

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
she used to eat more than two pounds of chocolate a week and treat her skin with olive oil, rode a bicycle until she was 100, and only quit smoking five years ago.
It killed her.
Old 09-02-17, 06:35 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
There was a king reigned in the East:
There, when kings will sit to feast,
They get their fill before they think
With poisoned meat and poisoned drink.
He gathered all that springs to birth
From the many-venomed earth;
First a little, thence to more,
He sampled all her killing store;
And easy, smiling, seasoned sound,
Sate the king when healths went round.
They put arsenic in his meat
And stared aghast to watch him eat;
They poured strychnine in his cup
And shook to see him drink it up:
They shook, they stared as white's their shirt:
Them it was their poison hurt.

—I tell the tale that I heard told.
Mithridates, he died old.

https://www.shmoop.com/terence-this-...poem-text.html
Old 09-03-17, 04:32 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
What's this "moderation" of which you speak?

As the wise man said, everything in moderation, including moderation

My mum's in the 'small square of dark chocolate a day camp'... but us kids know how much she loves chocolate so maybe... Mind you, she's 87 so I'm not going to begrudge her any luxury she wants.
Old 09-03-17, 08:05 AM
Keith777

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO A lot of the a average Joes/ Janes have a boat load of stress. Unfortuealy they are more likely to consume mostly the garbage SAD diet that is thrown at them via the media. in many cases that's compounded by lack of time( sometimes 2-3 jobs) for decent exercise. BTW not knocking wealthy people at all. The world typically is better off for all when they factor in to the population. Just frustrated by how the crappiest food sells the most.
I've had good success ( lost 57 lbs) cutting out junk and carbs. Trying to take it to the next level now by cutting back on a lot of meats. We are most definitely on a tight budget but your $ goes a long way on fresh produce.
If I could market it I'd love to sell a diet called The No Ad Diet lol! It's simple. If it's advertised in the media DONT eat it lol!
Old 09-03-17, 12:38 PM
berner

Speaking of stress, I've recently read a book by two micro biologists which talk about telomeres and stress. It was confirmed in a number of studies that stress itself will cause telomeres at the cell level to shorten and shorter telomeres leads to poorer health and shorter lives. This explains the cause of post traumatic stress syndrome in soldiers or even in long term caretakers for a family member. It was noted in the article that Madame Calment had a relaxed attitude toward life and it's stresses. So did my grandmother and she lived to 102.

On Chocolate, I've been enjoying my recently aquired stash and I'm feeling better already.
Old 09-03-17, 01:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,495 Times in 3,342 Posts
I'm not sure about Jeanne Calment. But, Robert Marchand sounds like an interesting fellow, and at 105, he is still doing time trials

Is it all about the bike?

I suppose there have been more than a few cyclists that haven't reached 100.
Old 09-03-17, 03:21 PM
berner

What is it about those French? They eat with rich sauces, smoke, and live forever. That Monseur Marchaud led a full life and is still at it.
Old 09-07-17, 04:33 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Really, when you get right down to it genetics and outlook are the foundation - all kinds of extremes out there from smokers, eating meat, exercise fanatics, well, you name it but in today's world there is very definitely an increase in cancers due to a more toxic environment. The old saying that tells us "everything in moderation" is probably just about the best advice.

Plenty of health conscious people who stayed fit have died on the early side or succumbed to cancer, conversely I have come across older individuals in their 80s and even '90s who smoked although granted not smoking is the better option - makes you wonder how much better off they would be if they never smoked!

There is such a thing as overworking your body - I look at all of these guys bulking up and trying to look like they are all muscle these days and whatever they take to get there is probably not going to do their long term health any favors.

Last edited by VintageRide; 09-07-17 at 04:43 PM.