Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best S.F. Bay Area Bike Swap?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-02-18, 09:21 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts

I need to downsize and am too lazy to ship. Can anyone suggest a good bike swap in the S.F. Bay area to sell vintage stuff?

Thanks,

-D
Old 02-02-18, 10:04 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
i think they all sort of dried up. want to organize one?
Old 02-02-18, 10:13 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
The big Cow Palace expo/swap meet died just a couple of years ago....
Too bad cause I was able to buy a good number of decent C&V stuff for good prices, the few years I went to it....
Best buy was from the last time I went. A hardly used Roval tubular aero wheelset from the 80's! Paid something like 35 bucks for the set....
Must be the high cost to insure such venues that contributed to its demise.....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)

Last edited by Chombi1; 02-02-18 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 10:25 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 187 Posts
There used to be a wonderful little swap in the parking lot at Endless Cycles in Castro Valley. It was free to attend, free vendor spaces, and they served free food as well! I believe they closed last year, but I no longer live in the area - maybe someone here can confirm the store closure.
Old 02-02-18, 10:33 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Our club still has an annual swap meet the day after our Cinderella ride (the swap meet will be April 15th this year). As with the one above, it's free to both sellers and buyers and, if there's food left over from the Cinderella, that may be available as well. Details at:
Valley Spokesmen Bicycle Club - Bicycle Swap Meet
Old 02-02-18, 10:56 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
There's also one each spring at Cupertino Bike Shop. I sold there a few years ago but not many folks buying vintage stuff.
I like @jetboy's idea. Either organize our own or, maybe better still, chose an existing one and encourage all our C&V friends to attend. Maybe the one listed in the post by @prathmann would be a likely venue. Dublin is fairly close to the East Bay and SOuth Bay folks, a bit of a drive for those of us in the North Bay but I'm game if the rest of you are. We'll have a good time if nothing else.
Brent
Old 02-02-18, 11:44 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

If you guys are involved I will probably come home with more than I take. But hey, I am game for any of the above.

Originally Posted by obrentharris
There's also one each spring at Cupertino Bike Shop. I sold there a few years ago but not many folks buying vintage stuff.
I like @jetboy's idea. Either organize our own or, maybe better still, chose an existing one and encourage all our C&V friends to attend. Maybe the one listed in the post by @prathmann would be a likely venue. Dublin is fairly close to the East Bay and SOuth Bay folks, a bit of a drive for those of us in the North Bay but I'm game if the rest of you are. We'll have a good time if nothing else.
Brent
Old 02-03-18, 12:19 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
trailhead cyclery host one in San Jose it will be march 25 this year https://trailheadcyclery.com/event/spring-swap-meet/

I haven't been in a couple of years but it used to be really eclectic

Last edited by squirtdad; 02-03-18 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-03-18, 12:24 AM
Dougbloch 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I could be game for this! I’m in Alameda.
Old 02-03-18, 12:31 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Our club still has an annual swap meet the day after our Cinderella ride (the swap meet will be April 15th this year). As with the one above, it's free to both sellers and buyers and, if there's food left over from the Cinderella, that may be available as well. Details at:
I'm going to say that it's probably the best swap out there right now for buyers.
Old 02-03-18, 12:33 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 779 Posts
In Alameda there has been (and I hope again) a small one sponsored by the Changing Gears non-profit that also runs the repair/rebuild co-op to train the local youts. It's one of the easiest/cheapest buy-ins for selling but nothin' fancy. The only downside is their date sometimes coincides with the really BIG draw antiques sale that is nearby on the old Air Station Base and pulls in a HUGE crowd...meaning gridlock traffic to get on/off the island.
Old 02-03-18, 12:39 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Changing Gears bike shop in Alameda is looking for someone to run their swap... About Us
They attracted a lot of buyers and sellers in years past.
Old 02-03-18, 11:21 AM
Dougbloch 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like the Cupertino one is coming up too.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bd...482823129.html
Old 02-03-18, 07:23 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Man, we need one in the Peninsula or the City area. All these swaps are a drive for me.
Old 02-04-18, 12:25 AM
jetboy 

I could organize one at my co-op space at USF. but its not all that convenient... far from BART etc. but its in the city.

or.. how about emeryville? I have a contact at Color Wheel and they are right at Doyle st park. He might be interested in organizing if we had like 4 or 5 solid people planning to come and set up. I got a ton of stuff id let go for a song just to get the wheels turning.
Old 02-04-18, 02:08 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Hmmms...some interesting ideas, I sure would like to participate (either USF or Emeryville location) if the details all fall into place. Unfortunately my current workload leaves me zero time for any planning or organizing (wish I could). It will be all I can do to just show up on a weekend with a load of stuff to peddle.
Old 02-04-18, 09:14 AM
djkashuba 

S.F. or Oakland is as far south as I would want to go. Good number of vintage riders around there as well. Emeryville is pretty central for Bay Area riders.

Nothing in Marin? Seems the bike museum in Fairfax would be a good fit or the Marin Co. Bicycle Coalition ... I like to kick in money for non profits if they sponsor. Wasn't there a big sale in San Rafael back in the day?

Let's keep thinking about this and try to get something pegged for early spring? Pre-Erocia?

-D
Old 02-04-18, 10:32 AM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by djkashuba
S.F. or Oakland is as far south as I would want to go. Good number of vintage riders around there as well. Emeryville is pretty central for Bay Area riders.

Nothing in Marin? Seems the bike museum in Fairfax would be a good fit or the Marin Co. Bicycle Coalition ... I like to kick in money for non profits if they sponsor. Wasn't there a big sale in San Rafael back in the day?

Let's keep thinking about this and try to get something pegged for early spring? Pre-Erocia?

-D
Trips For Kids used to put on the big one at San Rafael and then at Mill Valley but they haven't done one in at least a decade. I could talk to the folks at the museum and at MCBC if you folks think that Fairfax is centrally enough located for the rest of the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by jetboy
I could organize one at my co-op space at USF. but its not all that convenient... far from BART etc. but its in the city.

or.. how about emeryville? I have a contact at Color Wheel and they are right at Doyle st park. He might be interested in organizing if we had like 4 or 5 solid people planning to come and set up. I got a ton of stuff id let go for a song just to get the wheels turning.
Emeryville is nicely located for most of us. Is there plentiful parking?

Originally Posted by curbtender
Changing Gears bike shop in Alameda is looking for someone to run their swap... About Us
They attracted a lot of buyers and sellers in years past.
Maybe this is a good option if we were willing to put it together using their location.

Regardless of where we land I am willing to bring a few bikes and some parts. I would also help organize but don't want to take the lead on this since I am one of the organizers of another (non-bicycle) event in late April.
Brent
Old 02-04-18, 10:39 AM
jetboy 

I will go ask at Color Wheel- last we talked he had indicated he was thinking about maybe getting a swap together- I think if I offered to help it would probably happen. We would have to ask the city if we could use the grassy area of the park but emeryville is pretty open to that sort of thing- I have seen various businesses use the area for events.

If its the weekend then there is lots of parking. emeryville is a 9-5pm weekday sort of town.
pic of park:

Old 02-04-18, 11:30 AM
obrentharris 

Thanks for moving forward on this @jetboy!
Brent
Old 02-04-18, 01:04 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

+1 and I'll be watching this thread for updates! The alternative swap that came up in Marin was a big one and a refreshing change since at the time Trips for Kids (bless her heart) had been turning theirs into a gouger-fest.
It's understood that such good-hearted non-profits needs to maximize the donations but TfK had really gone 'round the bend with fees, percentages, tiered (all high) admission prices and high set prices for their donated goods. It was a no-brainer that somebody came along who offered some respite and that swap immediately took off. Victim of it's own success as it grew too big for the organizer to keep it running even at 'break-even". Whoever that guy was (never caught his name) he's a hero who deserved a big "THANKS!". And TfK still hangs in there and does what they do, so the "alternative" did not knock them off.
Old 02-04-18, 04:30 PM
djkashuba 

The last swap I sold at was the Sacramento Bike Kitchen and the fee was 10.00. It was just as much a social event as a business opportunity. Good times ...

Thanks all for putting on your thinking caps.

-D

Originally Posted by unworthy1
+1 and I'll be watching this thread for updates! The alternative swap that came up in Marin was a big one and a refreshing change since at the time Trips for Kids (bless her heart) had been turning theirs into a gouger-fest.
It's understood that such good-hearted non-profits needs to maximize the donations but TfK had really gone 'round the bend with fees, percentages, tiered (all high) admission prices and high set prices for their donated goods. It was a no-brainer that somebody came along who offered some respite and that swap immediately took off. Victim of it's own success as it grew too big for the organizer to keep it running even at 'break-even". Whoever that guy was (never caught his name) he's a hero who deserved a big "THANKS!". And TfK still hangs in there and does what they do, so the "alternative" did not knock them off.
Old 02-04-18, 09:40 PM
curbtender

Originally Posted by jetboy
I will go ask at Color Wheel- last we talked he had indicated he was thinking about maybe getting a swap together- I think if I offered to help it would probably happen. We would have to ask the city if we could use the grassy area of the park but emeryville is pretty open to that sort of thing- I have seen various businesses use the area for events.

If its the weekend then there is lots of parking. emeryville is a 9-5pm weekday sort of town.
pic of park:

Old 02-05-18, 12:38 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann

The Valley Spokesmen have been doing the Cinderella Century followed by the swap meet for many years. Both are great events - I've helped the Dublin Cyclery crew with the pre-event repair station a number of times. Unfortunately, for the past three years, Cinderella weekend has coincided with Eroica California weekend. They coincide this year, too.
Old 02-05-18, 09:09 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender

Is the swap at The Pedaler still going? I'm ready to unload most everything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.