Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Plans in the works for a "Great Redwood Trail" from Willits to Eureka

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 08:46 AM
shotwellian

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

This is probably a long way off, but I think even the idea is really exciting:

Senator McGuire?s Great Redwood Trail Approved in Senate Committee ? Redheaded Blackbelt

Some background: There's a railroad route from the Bay Area to Eureka. It carried passengers until the '50s and then freight for a while longer but has been out of commission due to storm damage for several decades now. The public agency that owns it has been trying to find an economically viable way to restore freight service, but now State Sen. Mike McGuire of Healdsburg has proposed legislation that would transfer the section from Willits to Eureka to a new authority that would instead be tasked with transforming it into a bike trail.

On its way to Humboldt, the railroad passes through the Eel River canyon, which is so remote that there aren't even any public roads. So as a trail, this would mean cyclists could visit a part of the state that otherwise is totally inaccessible to anyone. Some photos from a brave soul who hiked the abandoned railroad here.

Farther north, the tracks parallel 101 in Humboldt and a trail along them could connect the various side routes and let bicyclists ride through Humboldt without getting on and off 101 all the time.
Old 04-25-18, 11:16 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
That would be really cool.

Although being completely inaccessible means there's no cops or ambulances for assistance... I get nervous about that kind of stuff these days.
Old 04-25-18, 12:37 PM
shotwellian

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
That's true that inaccessibility poses certain risks, and anyone riding through the Eel Canyon would want to take first aid, extra supplies, etc, but all remote wilderness trails, in CA and elsewhere, have the same issue.
Old 04-25-18, 11:22 PM
SanFranCyclist

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale CAADX 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to join, but I think it's above my level haha. On another note, I received my national and state licensure EMT. now it's just figuring out everything I need for my rides.
Old 04-26-18, 02:41 PM
poonkorama

Bikes: 2013 Felt Z85, Late 70's Univega Sportour, 1999 Kona Muni-Mula HT, 2018 Greenstar Ecoforce Bamboo Singlespeed/FG

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That would be really cool....like a cyclists' version of the Lost Coast. My only concern in that part of the state (aside from the lack of facilities) would be running through/into remote grow sites which are undoubtedly common up there.
Old 04-27-18, 11:36 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by poonkorama
That would be really cool....like a cyclists' version of the Lost Coast. My only concern in that part of the state (aside from the lack of facilities) would be running through/into remote grow sites which are undoubtedly common up there.
Now you've confused me. I cycle the Lost Coast regularly (it's on the way from my current home to my former home town full of relatives). I've always thought of the Lost Coast as the best part of that 750 mile ride. Sometimes I do mostly pavement, sometimes I stay on the unpaved roads (can't avoid Usul Rd, though, which is a pleasantly deserted 24 miles of dirt). In other words, the Lost Coast is a cyclists' version of the Lost Coast (not counting that little strip of tick-infested wilderness that's in the Lost Coast).
Old 04-28-18, 03:22 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Just do it already....

Like this https://www.mundabiddi.org.au/
Old 04-28-18, 07:16 AM
poonkorama

Bikes: 2013 Felt Z85, Late 70's Univega Sportour, 1999 Kona Muni-Mula HT, 2018 Greenstar Ecoforce Bamboo Singlespeed/FG

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Now you've confused me. I cycle the Lost Coast regularly (it's on the way from my current home to my former home town full of relatives). I've always thought of the Lost Coast as the best part of that 750 mile ride. Sometimes I do mostly pavement, sometimes I stay on the unpaved roads (can't avoid Usul Rd, though, which is a pleasantly deserted 24 miles of dirt). In other words, the Lost Coast is a cyclists' version of the Lost Coast (not counting that little strip of tick-infested wilderness that's in the Lost Coast).
Sorry for the confusion. I only meant it as a broad analogy of a remote and mostly non-car-dominated way of getting through the northern counties. Didn't mean the literal Lost Coast.
Old 05-09-18, 08:12 AM
2000m2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a rails to trails project.
It also reminds me of the John Wayne Pioneer Trail outside of Seattle that runs 300 miles across the state of Washington. (tried to post links, but I can't until I have 10 posts, haha)

Great idea!
Old 05-09-18, 08:19 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,221 Posts
Friends of the John Wayne Pioneer Trail - Friends of the John Wayne Pioneer Trail
Old 05-09-18, 11:41 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
This would be really cool, except it will probably not happen in our lifetimes, if ever, due to the BANANA problem in California - Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything. It will hit the CEQA wall and be stopped dead.
Old 05-09-18, 01:10 PM
shotwellian

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
CEQA will be an issue, but two things make me optimistic: a lot of the trail is way the heck out in the middle of nowhere rather than near anybody who might complain. And the environmental groups on the north coast have so far been supporting the idea because they were against restoration of freight rail service.
Old 05-09-18, 04:08 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I'm a member of the Humboldt Trails Council, and we wrote a letter of support, but speaking as a private citizen, HOT DANG! I may have squeed out loud when I first heard about this. Many, many people here in Humboldt have wanted this for many years. Here's a 20 or so minute radio show interview with Mike McGuire. Fortunately the North Coast Railroad Authority has finally acknowledged reality, and is cooperating with railbanking efforts after two decades of resistance and denial. Being up to their eyeballs in debt with no way out probably helped. As well as their own geologists laughing in their faces at the idea of going through the Eel River canyon.

As for the pot growers, there's no telling what will have changed by the time the Great Redwood Trail goes through. Everything is in upheaval now the state has legalized it.

ETA: @shotwellian, thanks for the link to the hiking blog; that was pretty awesome.
Old 05-11-18, 08:49 AM
shotwellian

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
@Korina, Thanks for your perspective as a local!

The challenges of the Eel Canyon that ultimately defeated the attempts to reopen the railroad will probably also mean that part of the trail won't be finished for decades, if ever. But even if the trail were only built through the more geologically gentle areas between, say, Eureka and Alderpoint (no major tunnels or trestles there), it would still be wonderful to be able to ride through that part of Humboldt without getting on and off 101 all the time. This trail will also connect right to the Humboldt Bay Trail at the south end of Eureka, which will be fantastic.

Last edited by shotwellian; 05-11-18 at 08:50 AM. Reason: adding something
Old 05-11-18, 03:02 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by shotwellian
@Korina, Thanks for your perspective as a local!

The challenges of the Eel Canyon that ultimately defeated the attempts to reopen the railroad will probably also mean that part of the trail won't be finished for decades, if ever. But even if the trail were only built through the more geologically gentle areas between, say, Eureka and Alderpoint (no major tunnels or trestles there), it would still be wonderful to be able to ride through that part of Humboldt without getting on and off 101 all the time. This trail will also connect right to the Humboldt Bay Trail at the south end of Eureka, which will be fantastic.
Good point about geology; hopefully they'll be able to find better routes as necessary. Also, Eureka is actively planning to extend the Waterfront Trail south to King Salmon on its way to College of the Redwoods. So cool.
Old 05-24-18, 04:10 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

@shotwellian, thanks again for that blog link; I passed it along to the rest of the Trails Council and everyone loved it.
Old 05-25-18, 01:08 PM
shotwellian

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Glad the group enjoyed the post!

Also, since you clearly know the biking situation in that area, I have a slightly off-topic question: My wife and I are planning a tour this summer, and we'll be riding into Arcata from Highway 96. Since it looks like 299 isn't that great to ride on, I've been looking at ways to get off the highway. It seems there's an abandoned "old 299" that goes west from Lord Ellis Summit most of the way down to Blue Lake. Do you happen to know anything about that route?
Old 05-25-18, 09:24 PM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bill was set for hearing today. Anyone know what happened?
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180SB1029
Old 05-28-18, 03:41 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Those pot farms will become tourist attractions with roadside "bakeries" lol.
Old 06-01-18, 10:05 AM
shotwellian

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Update: The bill was unanimously approved by the State Senate. Now on to the Assembly:

Great Redwood Trail bill unanimously approved by California Senate

This article also clarifies that the plan also, in theory anyway, provides for trail south from Willits to the Bay Area. The tracks south of Willits would be transferred to the Bay Area's SMART train agency, which would be tasked with building that part of the trail while keeping the tracks intact (rail with trail). North of Willits, the plan seems to be to remove the tracks (rail to trail).
Old 07-06-18, 02:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Hi all. This was adapted from an email by Mike Wilson, Humboldt County Supervisor. Please, please call. Time is running out.

We need your support to help move SB 1029 forward! A decision on this will be made soon. It is important to have our voice heard ASAP.Calls to the office of Governor Edmund G. Brown will be the most effective. His office will no longer accept emails. Phone: (916) 445-2841

The simplest message is: “Please support funding forconverting the NCRA to the Great Redwood Trail, SB 1029!”

Here are some talking points regarding SB 1029, the Great Redwood Trail Act. Please feel free to add anything personal about the vison of the Trail or the bill.

· I’m calling/writing from Humboldt County (or your place) to ask the Governor to support funding for Sen. McGuire’s SB 1029 - the bill that replaces the North Coast Railroad Authority with a 300 mile trail.

· NCRA will be bankrupt in a couple months, and we don’t want to lose this opportunity to create something positive after 30 years of turmoil and failure.

· We are asking the Governor to help find the funding needed to buy out the NCRA debts, and the freight contract, so we can build the trail.

· It’s urgent that we find the money and pass the bill this year, since it’s the first time in 30 years that all the battling parties are at the table. It will only cost more money next year, and the parties could be different and not want to settle.
Old 08-18-18, 12:42 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with the whole process, but it looks like SB 1029 passed the appropriations committee on Thursday;

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180SB1029

And that has to be a good thing, and mean that the bill is rolling along at the correct pace, right? It's been voted on 7 times, and is yet to get a No from anyone. I should qualify this by saying I'd never heard of this trail or anything associated with it until stumbling across this thread last night.
Old 09-16-18, 11:43 AM
shotwellian

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
If you're interested, check out my article on the Great Redwood Trail in today's SF Chronicle:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/a...o-13226917.php
Old 09-16-18, 06:45 PM
2000m2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great article! Enjoyable read this morning in my Sunday paper.
Old 09-17-18, 10:00 AM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by shotwellian
If you're interested, check out my article on the Great Redwood Trail in today's SF Chronicle:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/a...o-13226917.php
Thanks for a great section of the Chron. Informative/ realistic/ humorous articles!

-D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.