Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket confusion - Seized bearing

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-24-19, 03:36 PM
SethB

Bikes: 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, bottom bracket bearing seized (I neglected its routine maintenance this year) and now I need a new one.

The bike is a Trek Fuel EX 5 29 2014. On the side of the frame is "BB-ALM92 Φ19". It is an FSA Gamma Drive crankset.

I was able to tap out the faulty bearing using a long bolt. I am trying to buy a new bearing but cannot seem to find what I need.

A LBS (one I have never been to) said they can't replace the bearing, they have to replace the whole thing? Why, I already have the bearing out, just press in the new one.

Obviously, I will replace both bearings, if I can find them.

In my Googling, I read that the FSA Gamma Drive is trash, and never to get one. TBH, I have never had any problems with it. I service it once a year (the whole bike, like take everything apart service) and never had problems. The thread OP said they went with a completely different crankset and BB. I would like to avoid this cause I don't have much money and would honestly see it as a pointless upgrade because what I have is perfectly okay.

Where can I find just the bearings for this? I don't need anything else, no cones, no tubes, just bearings....

Or, what are my options?

Thanks
Old 11-24-19, 04:05 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
A pic would be nice.
Measure the OD, ID and "thickness".
Likely Metric and a standard size if you were to search for whatever type bearing you have.
IF you look close, I'd expect a part# ON the bearing itself.
Old 11-24-19, 04:36 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by SethB
So, bottom bracket bearing seized (I neglected its routine maintenance this year) and now I need a new one.

The bike is a Trek Fuel EX 5 29 2014. On the side of the frame is "BB-ALM92 Φ19". It is an FSA Gamma Drive crankset.

I was able to tap out the faulty bearing using a long bolt. I am trying to buy a new bearing but cannot seem to find what I need.

A LBS (one I have never been to) said they can't replace the bearing, they have to replace the whole thing? Why, I already have the bearing out, just press in the new one.

Obviously, I will replace both bearings, if I can find them.

In my Googling, I read that the FSA Gamma Drive is trash, and never to get one. TBH, I have never had any problems with it. I service it once a year (the whole bike, like take everything apart service) and never had problems. The thread OP said they went with a completely different crankset and BB. I would like to avoid this cause I don't have much money and would honestly see it as a pointless upgrade because what I have is perfectly okay.

Where can I find just the bearings for this? I don't need anything else, no cones, no tubes, just bearings....

Or, what are my options?

Thanks
I think you need bearings like the ones here...https://wheelsmfg.com/enduro-24-x-37...d-bearing.html. 24mm ID for 24mm spindle on your crankset; 37mm OD; and 7mm thick.Are there any markings on the bearing seals? If not, do as Bill Kapaun advises.

You might also consider just replacing the whole unit as the LBS suggests since your BB comes with bearing preinstalled in cups that are pressed in to the shell as a unit.
Old 11-24-19, 05:18 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
The Gamma Drive cranksets use an uncommon 19mm spindle. Cartridge bottom brackets like that are not intended to have just the bearings replaced. The whole bottom bracket should be replaced. They cost about $35.
Old 11-24-19, 05:55 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
A pic would be nice.
Measure the OD, ID and "thickness".
Likely Metric and a standard size if you were to search for whatever type bearing you have.
IF you look close, I'd expect a part# ON the bearing itself.
Originally Posted by DOS
I think you need bearings like the ones here...https://wheelsmfg.com/enduro-24-x-37...d-bearing.html. 24mm ID for 24mm spindle on your crankset; 37mm OD; and 7mm thick.Are there any markings on the bearing seals? If not, do as Bill Kapaun advises.

You might also consider just replacing the whole unit as the LBS suggests since your BB comes with bearing preinstalled in cups that are pressed in to the shell as a unit.
Dimensions -
Inner: 19mm
Outer: 32m
Thickness: 7mm

Here is the picture of the bearing, there is stuff on it, hopefully I can find them.

Old 11-24-19, 05:57 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsaul
The Gamma Drive cranksets use an uncommon 19mm spindle. Cartridge bottom brackets like that are not intended to have just the bearings replaced. The whole bottom bracket should be replaced. They cost about $35.
I have no idea how the heck the rest of it comes out then.. It would be about 70 bucks for everything if they cost $35. They quoted me $30 for installation and removal. I'll give them a call tomorrow (the one I like to go to, not the one I called today) and see if they can set me up. Guys there are absolutely incredible.
Old 11-24-19, 06:34 PM
DOS

Dimensions -
Inner: 19mm
Outer: 32m
Thickness: 7mm

Here is the picture of the bearing, there is stuff on it, hopefully I can find them.

6804 is the bearing size. Just google that and you will find what you need. But banging out the cups and replacing the whole unit is the better option.
Old 11-24-19, 06:38 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DOS
6804 is the bearing size. Just google that and you will find what you need. But banging out the cups and replacing the whole unit is the better option.
Thank you. Quick search didn't yield anything promising. Gonna have to order from china to get some. I'll be contacting the LBS I like tomorrow, see what they can do. Thanks guys. I hate how stuff like this isn't fixable. Why can't you just pop new bearings in?
Old 11-24-19, 07:07 PM
DOS

Thank you. Quick search didn't yield anything promising. Gonna have to order from china to get some. I'll be contacting the LBS I like tomorrow, see what they can do. Thanks guys. I hate how stuff like this isn't fixable. Why can't you just pop new bearings in?
It is designed to be fixable, but you replace the cups with the bearings not just the bearings. The cups aren’t designed to have bearings banged in and out of so they can be deformed or otherwise damaged in the process, and bearings won’t seat correctly, causing short life and creaks. But it can work if you are determined to try. You won’t just be able to “pop” them in by hand. You need a press.

6804 bearings are pretty widely available, by the way — e.g. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=13357

Also look for 61804, which are the same size but just higher spec.
Old 11-25-19, 12:06 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

I just put the first 4 digits into Google and your exact bearing popped to the top before I was able to add the other digits.
How can you have that bad of search skills?
Old 11-25-19, 01:03 AM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DOS
It is designed to be fixable, but you replace the cups with the bearings not just the bearings. The cups aren’t designed to have bearings banged in and out of so they can be deformed or otherwise damaged in the process, and bearings won’t seat correctly, causing short life and creaks. But it can work if you are determined to try. You won’t just be able to “pop” them in by hand. You need a press.

6804 bearings are pretty widely available, by the way — e.g. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=13357

Also look for 61804, which are the same size but just higher spec.
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I just put the first 4 digits into Google and your exact bearing popped to the top before I was able to add the other digits.
How can you have that bad of search skills?
Yes. I have found them. However, some of them are not the right size. I did find ones in the right size but would take forever to get here. And I already miss my bike ha. So I am gonna call the LBS that I love tomorrow to see what they can do, and if they can't get anything soon, then I'll order a set of bearings and wait for them to get here.
Old 11-25-19, 01:14 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

I would check an "industrial supply" store in your area.
One that sells bearings, hydraulics etc. for trucking, saw mills or other manufacturing plants etc.
Old 11-25-19, 03:53 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-10-ball...243966968a8bf2

Same number as your picture, here in the US, 10 bearings for under $13 shipped

Old 11-25-19, 05:29 AM
DOS

Yes. I have found them. However, some of them are not the right size.
All 6804 and 61804 bearings are the same size.

You might also see bearings marked 7804 or 71804. These will be the same size as well but angular contact bearings. You might be able to use these as well if your cranks allow you to set preload.
Old 11-25-19, 05:52 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Have you checked out someone like Grainger.com or even Napaonline.com? Once out of the shell it is just a bearing, not necessarily related to anything in particular.
Old 11-25-19, 06:16 AM
DOS

Originally Posted by DOS

You might also see bearings marked 7804 or 71804. These will be the same size as well but angular contact bearings. You might be able to use these as well if your cranks allow you to set preload.

Ok, so correction.I just noticed earlier reference to the FSA cranks having a 19mm spindle, which doesn’t gibe with the standard 6804 bearing, which is confusing. I googled MR129, the other marking on the beaaring, and it equates to an FSA bearing with a tapered inner race. https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/mr129.html

Note in the above reference to the MR129 being specific to the nondrive side, meaning you might need a different size for the drive side.
Old 11-25-19, 09:09 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS

To be clear, this statement is correct wrt size. All 6804 and 61804 bearings should fit. But the "2RS" on your bearings means that they have two rubber seals, one on each side. You probably want to replace a sealed bearing with another sealed bearing.

I used angular contact bearings. Standard (deep groove radial) bearings have inner and outer races with slots cut and ground and polished into them. They support radial forces but not axial. Since no one has the muscle control to pedal perfectly and to avoid side (axial) forces, I prefer a bearing designed to handle this type of force. Angular contact bearings are someone akin to cup and cone. This means that 1) they resist axial force in one direction, and 2) they have to be installed with the proper orientation. And you have to preload the bearings first, meaning you use a little thumbwheel to tighten the NDS crank arm onto the spindle, then tighten the NDS crank pinch bolts.
Old 11-25-19, 09:39 AM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-10-ball...243966968a8bf2

Same number as your picture, here in the US, 10 bearings for under $13 shipped
But the dimensions are 20x32x7, not 19x32x7. I know its only 1mm but that is a lot of play inside the core spindle area..
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Have you checked out someone like Grainger.com or even Napaonline.com? Once out of the shell it is just a bearing, not necessarily related to anything in particular.
Yes, and they all have the 20x32x7 dimensions for the bearing unfortunately.

Originally Posted by DOS
Ok, so correction.I just noticed earlier reference to the FSA cranks having a 19mm spindle, which doesn’t gibe with the standard 6804 bearing, which is confusing. I googled MR129, the other marking on the beaaring, and it equates to an FSA bearing with a tapered inner race. https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/mr129.html

Note in the above reference to the MR129 being specific to the nondrive side, meaning you might need a different size for the drive side.
Thank you! This is what I was talking about when I said I can't find them. The dimensions on the ones that I am finding have an inner core diameter of 20mm not 19mm. Which I think would not be a good idea to use with the 19mm spindle.

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
To be clear, this statement is correct wrt size. All 6804 and 61804 bearings should fit. But the "2RS" on your bearings means that they have two rubber seals, one on each side. You probably want to replace a sealed bearing with another sealed bearing.

I used angular contact bearings. Standard (deep groove radial) bearings have inner and outer races with slots cut and ground and polished into them. They support radial forces but not axial. Since no one has the muscle control to pedal perfectly and to avoid side (axial) forces, I prefer a bearing designed to handle this type of force. Angular contact bearings are someone akin to cup and cone. This means that 1) they resist axial force in one direction, and 2) they have to be installed with the proper orientation. And you have to preload the bearings first, meaning you use a little thumbwheel to tighten the NDS crank arm onto the spindle, then tighten the NDS crank pinch bolts.
Yes, I was going to replace with the same type of bearing. I'm gonna go to the bike shop today, see what they can do.
Old 11-25-19, 10:36 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I looked at the FSA web site and they have no info on that crank or bottom bracket. Fine human beings.
Old 11-25-19, 10:41 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

But the dimensions are 20x32x7, not 19x32x7. I know its only 1mm but that is a lot of play inside the core spindle area. Yes, and they all have the 20x32x7 dimensions for the bearing unfortunately. Thank you! This is what I was talking about when I said I can't find them. The dimensions on the ones that I am finding have an inner core diameter of 20mm not 19mm. Which I think would not be a good idea to use with the 19mm spindle.
Yes, I was going to replace with the same type of bearing. I'm gonna go to the bike shop today, see what they can do.
It seems like FSA chose a 19mm spindle diameter to ensure a captive aftermarket. In my view, that's an unforgiveable sin: I would never buy FSA anything because of their decision to be so anti-consumer. Additionally, I view 19mm as inferior to the more standard, stronger, and stiffer 24mm.

Back to your problem. If you had 6804 bearings in the bike, then you were probably using the "wrong" bearings with that 19mm spindle. All 6804 bearings have a 20mm inside bore. There are no 19mm 6804 bearings. Using a 20mm bore with a 19mm spindle is not acceptable practice. You'll destroy your spindle. The proper size spec for bearings that are 32 x 19 x 7 bearings are 19BSW07. These seem pretty impossible to find at a retail level (as teh evil product manager jerks at FSA probably knew well). My understanding is that your Trek has a PF bottom bracket. If so , you want to find those 19BSW07 bearings. The following may work (write them and ask for bearing dimensions first!)

https://www.amazon.com/FSA-Cartridge-bearing-MegaExo-19-MR087/dp/B001GSSHPA/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=bearings+for+fsa+megaexo+19&qid=1574699793&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2

If I'm mistaken and you have a threaded BB, then this might work:

https://www.amazon.com/FSA-Mega-Bottom-Bracket-BB-1000/dp/B001GSSMCI?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001GSSMCI

Last, you might use 6804 bearings with a shim. Finding this size (20mm OD x 19mm bore x 7mm) is gonna be difficult if not impossible.
Old 11-25-19, 10:44 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by davidad
I looked at the FSA web site and they have no info on that crank or bottom bracket. Fine human beings.
My opinion as well. Make something very non-standard. Sell it. To heck with supporting it, so that the owner can't find parts.

Never, ever an FSA component on a bike I buy.
Old 11-25-19, 11:03 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
I have a local bearing supply source here called Tri State Bearing. I take the old one in and they match to an exact replacement. Smiles, MH
Old 11-25-19, 11:06 AM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidad
Now you see why I am confused and had to post lol. Hence the title of the thread

It seems like FSA chose a 19mm spindle diameter to ensure a captive aftermarket. In my view, that's an unforgiveable sin: I would never buy FSA anything because of their decision to be so anti-consumer. Additionally, I view 19mm as inferior to the more standard, stronger, and stiffer 24mm.

Back to your problem. If you had 6804 bearings in the bike, then you were probably using the "wrong" bearings with that 19mm spindle. All 6804 bearings have a 20mm inside bore. There are no 19mm 6804 bearings. Using a 20mm bore with a 19mm spindle is not acceptable practice. You'll destroy your spindle. The proper size spec for bearings that are 32 x 19 x 7 bearings are 19BSW07. These seem pretty impossible to find at a retail level (as teh evil product manager jerks at FSA probably knew well). My understanding is that your Trek has a PF bottom bracket. If so , you want to find those 19BSW07 bearings. The following may work (write them and ask for bearing dimensions first!)

https://www.amazon.com/FSA-Cartridge-bearing-MegaExo-19-MR087/dp/B001GSSHPA/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=bearings+for+fsa+megaexo+19&qid=1574699793&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2

If I'm mistaken and you have a threaded BB, then this might work:

https://www.amazon.com/FSA-Mega-Bottom-Bracket-BB-1000/dp/B001GSSMCI?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001GSSMCI

Last, you might use 6804 bearings with a shim. Finding this size (20mm OD x 19mm bore x 7mm) is gonna be difficult if not impossible.
The dimensions are listed (in inches) and are not going to work. I have been having trouble finding the proper dimensions, but did find them just from over sea suppliers, which in all honesty, I am in this situation because I neglected maintenance. Which is why I wasn't really wanting to "upgrade" the whole crankset with a more practical, stronger 24mm bottom bracket, the current one has been doing me well for almost 4 years now.

My opinion as well. Make something very non-standard. Sell it. To heck with supporting it, so that the owner can't find parts.

Never, ever an FSA component on a bike I buy.
Yeah.. typical marketing scheme TBH. I see it everywhere from appliances to auto to simple electronics. Things are designed to be replaced - not repaired.

Sadly I got the bike for a steal in 2016 - $700. I honestly love it and had zero issues with it but I was also keeping up with maintenance, where now I neglected it and paid the price.

I may just stick the bearing back in, ride it with a seized bearing, destroy the spindle, and then upgrade the whole thing later down the road. I don't think anything else will get ruined with a seized BB bearing.. But it all depends what the LBS can do for me.
Old 11-25-19, 11:15 AM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I have a local bearing supply source here called Tri State Bearing. I take the old one in and they match to an exact replacement. Smiles, MH
Just rub it in why don't ya haha
Old 11-25-19, 11:21 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
Not so much a rubbing salt into the wound, as an informational note to try for a local source. Search bearing suppliers in your area and you might be pleasantly surprised. Har,Har! Smiles, MH

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.