Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

So different, so alike battle. Royal Super Record vs Peugeot PSV-10

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 01:29 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts

Gorgeous day for riding, though right off opening up the garage and I'm fighting over which of these near 40 year old bikes to ride.

Both are remarkably different, yet so alike. And my gosh, both are perfect to me in that they fit excellent though most would observe possibly on the ever slightest small fitment, in perspective of classic lightweights. But it's a feeling I desire for frame resilience due lighter tubing. I LOVE these two bikes!

Some basic stats -
Call it 55cm square for both bikes.

Made in France, 1983 Peugeot PSV-10, original pearl white finish with its share of patina and paint blems. Super Vitus 980 steel tubing, Super Vitus 980 fork, lugged, Simplex forged dropouts and ends. Handmade but shows rapid production.

Tubular wheelset with Dugast 700x20C. Weight as depicted 20.4 lbs

------

Made in Switzerland, 1982 Royal Super Record - team Wrangler livery, fine metallic blue finish with lots of race thrashed blems. Columbus SL steel, lugged with Cinelli bottom bracket, Campagnolo dropouts and ends.

Handmade but like above, not fine as a custom but built as a purpose racing tool and nothing more. I like its raw appeal, sans chrome that only complicates metallurgy.

Tubular wheelset with FMB 700x25C. Weight as depicted 20.3 lbs.

Both have highly regarded components of the day, plus some upgrades. And again, so different, yet so alike and they work brilliant.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 04-07-20, 01:42 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Safe to assume you went with the Peugeot as the Royal is still strapped up at the front?
Old 04-07-20, 01:46 PM
crank_addict
Banned

The French steed has CLB Professional brakes that are remarkably lightweight. NOS pads! I'm in awe how well they feel and very little effort while on the hoods. Dialed in baby! Now my fave vintage classic sidepull of all time for performance. Though to be fair, I've yet to try these pads in the rain. They're old but incredibly and somehow able to exceed expectations today. Simplistic pivot bearing design and stiff arms. Sexy levers.

The Swiss machine and it's brakes are off the charts. I will testify, all those reports on delta type brakes are not telling the truth. OK, so here's the scoop ~ this bike has its factory model name as Super Record, nothing to do with Campagnolo, though the 1 year only Wrangler and Campy sponsored were equipped full Super Record. Off to the parts bin go the average performing Campy Super Record sidepulls.

I received this brakeset, 'incorrectly' assembled and quite likely why they appear to never been used, including pads! This is the second pair of Swiss made Weinmann type 531 I've come across. These have no markings or casting identifications, possibly 1st gen or test brakeset.

Performance is outstanding, even with the smaller OEM pads. Modulation is very uniform with a little more feel of pull vs. the CLB Professional noted above. These Weinmann deltas are quite compact and very light. Remarkable, a single caliper with pads only weigh 3 grams more than the Campy Super Record sidepull. I'm most impressed with them, especially for the days when when narrow tire fitment was in as the go-fast. Awesome brakes with beautiful feel and power. Again, and like above though yet to try in the rain.

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-07-20 at 02:03 PM.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 04-07-20, 01:51 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
First world problem...no wrong choice there. I'd have opted for the Royal. Cool & unusual, plus the wider tires.
Old 04-07-20, 02:06 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Safe to assume you went with the Peugeot as the Royal is still strapped up at the front?
For today, yes!
Old 04-07-20, 02:24 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Cinelli cockpit on the Royal and the Phillipe - CTA on the Peugeot are similar size and weight. Both have some eye candy engraving. Close up pics needed- sorry.

Headsets are high zoot back when. I'll give the nod to Peugeot with its Stronglight (Spidel +) tapered roller bearing, hardened metal race set in nylon (Delrin) cup. Has that quirky cool parts surprise like in a Citroen car 'why not?'

The Royal with its Campagnolo Super Record, drilled out cups are pretty cool too and thousands of them still in use today. Top quality, superior ball bearings. Take care of them, and they'll take care of you.
Old 04-07-20, 02:36 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Saddles and seat post French vs Italy.

The Selle Italia Superleggera is a lightened saddle before the titanium rage. I'll look up my pic archives but on the scale, its very respectable at only 234 grams. Subjective as always, saddles may not work for one but another could be perfect. I'm happy with it. Seatpost is a Campagnolo Super Record with flutes, single bolt- a fave.

-----
The Peugeot PSV10 came stock with a Japan made Laprade seatpost. I swapped it out with a clever 2 bolt clamp type, fluted, made in France by JPR. Saddle is French made Perache model 027. Shape and size is near identical to the above Italian brand. Believe are very close in weight, though Perache offered an even lighter model, type 017. This 027 was acquired NOS. I prefer this suede vs smooth leather on the above.

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-07-20 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-07-20, 02:45 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
Someday, when you've got the Weinmann Delta's opened up for maintenance, please take some photos. I'm curious about the details.
Very surprising/interesting that they are essentially the same weight as sidepulls of the era. Wouldn't have expected that!

As for which bike to ride... what a silly question. Ride both!

Steve in Peoria (the Hetchins was taken out for today's ride. What a gorgeous day!)
Old 04-07-20, 03:53 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Someday, when you've got the Weinmann Delta's opened up for maintenance, please take some photos. I'm curious about the details.
Very surprising/interesting that they are essentially the same weight as sidepulls of the era. Wouldn't have expected that!

As for which bike to ride... what a silly question. Ride both!

Steve in Peoria (the Hetchins was taken out for today's ride. What a gorgeous day!)
Hey Steve, I'll trade you both bikes for your awesome Hetchins.

Will toss in team jersey. Hehe

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-07-20 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-07-20, 04:11 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Can never get enough of classic and svelte cranksets.... in silver please.

When drillium was done the Stronglight way. Factory equipped. Maillard CXP pedals.

Campagnolo Super Record (date code '81), Campagnolo bottom bracket but with Teledyne titanium spindle and bolts, Regina hollow pin chain, Superleggera pedals, Cinelli ally clips with Acacio Da Silva straps. The great rider from Portugal early career was with Royal-Wrangler.

Both have bottom feed derailleur cable routing.

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-08-20 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-07-20, 05:12 PM
crank_addict
Banned

The Peugeot's original Simplex 610 derailleur had a broken main spring, so I swapped it to a svelte Huret Jubilee. Cog group is from a NOS boxed set Maillard Professional, abundance of gear choices to mix and match, 5 speed. Obvious noting the one bailout.

Simplex friction shifters. Works like it should. Ugly and fracture prone nylon wingnut over metal hexbolt.

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-08-20 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-07-20, 05:36 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Campagnolo Super Record (pat date 1982) with factory titanium mount pivot bolts and standard Crapagnolo fracture jockey pulley.

Cassette / freewheel by Regina type Futura is super clever. Tool less quick change of cog blocks, within seconds. Nice race ratio assortment on hand.

Friction, Super Record shifters.... always work.

Call it a tie, I like both setups and they function with smooth action simplicity. Both are pretty svelte and high up on the podium. I'll always take Suntour as the fave from this era but these have merit and history. Neg's are the garbage Campy pulleys and the original Simplex 610 common failure main spring. Hoo-ray to Huret for the upgraded rear derailleur.

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-07-20 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-07-20, 06:55 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Non drive side pics

Old 04-07-20, 11:14 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
The French steed has CLB Professional brakes that are remarkably lightweight. NOS pads! I'm in awe how well they feel and very little effort while on the hoods. Dialed in baby! Now my fave vintage classic sidepull of all time for performance. Though to be fair, I've yet to try these pads in the rain. They're old but incredibly and somehow able to exceed expectations today. Simplistic pivot bearing design and stiff arms. Sexy levers.

The Swiss machine and it's brakes are off the charts. I will testify, all those reports on delta type brakes are not telling the truth. OK, so here's the scoop ~ this bike has its factory model name as Super Record, nothing to do with Campagnolo, though the 1 year only Wrangler and Campy sponsored were equipped full Super Record. Off to the parts bin go the average performing Campy Super Record sidepulls.

I received this brakeset, 'incorrectly' assembled and quite likely why they appear to never been used, including pads! This is the second pair of Swiss made Weinmann type 531 I've come across. These have no markings or casting identifications, possibly 1st gen or test brakeset.

Performance is outstanding, even with the smaller OEM pads. Modulation is very uniform with a little more feel of pull vs. the CLB Professional noted above. These Weinmann deltas are quite compact and very light. Remarkable, a single caliper with pads only weigh 3 grams more than the Campy Super Record sidepull. I'm most impressed with them, especially for the days when when narrow tire fitment was in as the go-fast. Awesome brakes with beautiful feel and power. Again, and like above though yet to try in the rain.

I have both brakesets on two of my bikes.
Don't bother with CLB's Dural brake cable sets as they compress too much and lessens the braking performance from the Compact Professional calipers significantly. As for the Weinmann Deltas, I'd think twice before using them on rides with steep, fast descents. Braking power is just adequate on the flats and the teensy tiny brake pads would definitely be something to worry about on steep descents.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 04-08-20, 09:51 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Peugeot with Maillard 700 Professional hubs, 36 spoke Union-Berg butted, Mavic GP4 anodized tubular rims. Not weight weenie but robust and proven.

The Royal with Campagnolo and bearings that seem to roll forever, 36 spoke Alpina, Formula Ambrosio anodized tubular rims. Again, not weight weenie but a dependable wheelset, hold true.

Lightened skewer, ally housings with exaggerated curved Campy lever.

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-08-20 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-08-20, 10:13 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by Chombi1
I have both brakesets on two of my bikes.
Don't bother with CLB's Dural brake cable sets as they compress too much and lessens the braking performance from the Compact Professional calipers significantly. As for the Weinmann Deltas, I'd think twice before using them on rides with steep, fast descents. Braking power is just adequate on the flats and the teensy tiny brake pads would definitely be something to worry about on steep descents.
Thanks for the tips. As for the Royal with Weinmann, I doubt this bike will see canyons but if it did, modern and maybe longer pads could be fitted. Likely far safer. Though right now, this brakeset functions and feels excellent. Interesting observation of these smaller pads, they have a single parallel deep cut groove. Curious why but perhaps to vent heat or maybe helps in the wet?

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-08-20 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-08-20, 12:11 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
crank_addict -

+1 on the CLB Professional brake set. Amazingly rigid and linear especially with modern lined cable and drawn stainless wires. Amazingly easy to center (and stay that way) with a unique and clever QR. One of the best single pivot sidepulls ever and virtually unknown over here in NA as they were never OEM on any new bike I ever saw offered here.
Old 04-08-20, 01:06 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Thanks for the tips. As for the Royal with Weinmann, I doubt this bike will see canyons but if it did, modern and maybe longer pads could be fitted. Likely far safer. Though right now, this brakeset functions and feels excellent. Interesting observation of these smaller pads, they have a single parallel deep cut groove. Curious why but perhaps to vent heat or maybe helps in the wet?
it is actually that deep single groove going all the way across the small brake pads that worries me most, as it significantly lessens the area of pads against the rims. A change to bigger, modern holders and pads would be a good idea.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 04-08-20, 02:23 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Thanks for this cool side-by-side. Both bikes look great, but that the Pug jumps out at me. Love that crankset, and adding it to my radar.
Old 04-09-20, 10:42 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
Hey Steve, I'll trade you both bikes for your awesome Hetchins.

Will toss in team jersey. Hehe

that is really impressive!
As a point of comparison, I pulled a rear Weinmann centerpull caliper (610mm version) out of the parts box and tossed it on the scale...

only 2 grams lighter than the Delta-ish version... and that may just be the weight of rubber worn off the pads!
Remarkable that with the Delta's extra parts and such, it still manages to weigh the same as the relatively simple centerpulls.

The complexity of Weinmann's delta design is noticeably less than Campy's design, if memory serves. I suppose the unquestionable sex appeal of the Campy design adds weight and complexity?? ....and profit too, I suppose.

Steve in Peoria
(no plans to trade the Hetchins, though.... )
Old 04-09-20, 12:35 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Schon gehort? Wrangler Zieh die gute Laune an (Have you heard? Wrangler - Put on the good mood)

Vergnuglich-Anzuglich Wrangler Zieh die gute Laune an (Pleasantly Pleasant -Wrangler- Put on the good mood)

Erich Machler / Royal-Wrangler wins stage 8

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-09-20 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-09-20, 01:25 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Pro look Pug PSV10 but....
'it smells of effort'

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-09-20 at 01:42 PM.