Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Zefal Frame Pump Question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 03:20 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts

I got a '91 Trek 1400 and I would like to get a full size frame pump for it. I like the Silca pump, but man oh man $165 for a pump. Not going to do it. The alternative is the Zefal HPX, which I'm considering. My question is; does the Zefal pump handle have a nest for the head tube pump peg?

If anybody has a alternate recommendation for a full size frame pump, I'm open to suggestions.
Old 05-11-20, 03:24 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzkill53120
I got a '91 Trek 1400 and I would like to get a full size frame pump for it. I like the Silca pump, but man oh man $165 for a pump. Not going to do it. The alternative is the Zefal HPX, which I'm considering. My question is; does the Zefal pump handle have a nest for the head tube pump peg?

If anybody has a alternate recommendation for a full size frame pump, I'm open to suggestions.
Lezyne Road drives are great pumps. Did a lot of research before pulling the trigger. I have the carbon model in the "small" size and it's excellent. I'm sure the larger, frame-size models are just as good.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 05-11-20, 03:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
My question is; does the Zefal pump handle have a nest for the head tube pump peg?
Yes, at least they did in the past. I have several but none newer than 15 years or so. FWIW, even properly sized, mine would not reliably stay attached below the top tube. I had to add a velcro strap which gave the thing a kluge look.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-11-20, 03:40 PM
Buzzkill53120

I looked Lezyne pumps but I didn't see a full size pump, only mini pumps.
Old 05-11-20, 03:45 PM
Buzzkill53120

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yes, at least they did in the past. I have several but none newer than 15 years or so. FWIW, even properly sized, mine would not reliably stay attached below the top tube. I had to add a velcro strap which gave the thing a kluge look.
Yeah in the same boat, haven't bought a frame pump in years. I remember when Silcas were made of plastic and you could easily paint them to color match the bike.
Old 05-11-20, 04:07 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I own 4 Zefal HPX frame pumps. Yes they have an indent for a pump peg. 2 of my bikes have pump pegs on the head tube and the correct length Zefal HPX fits nicely under the top tube of those bikes
Mine fit well enough that no strap is needed to keep them in place, you just have to have the correct length
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-11-20, 05:05 PM
Buzzkill53120

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I own 4 Zefal HPX frame pumps. Yes they have an indent for a pump peg. 2 of my bikes have pump pegs on the head tube and the correct length Zefal HPX fits nicely under the top tube of those bikes
Mine fit well enough that no strap is needed to keep them in place, you just have to have the correct length
Thanks for the feedback! I’ll pull the trigger on getting one.
Likes For Buzzkill53120:
Old 05-11-20, 06:56 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Mine has two nylon guides on the pump head, that fit the seatube/toptube junction and then the handle of the pump fits into the umbrella clip/cup.

Cheers
Old 05-11-20, 09:08 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I doing exactly the same thing happy with my frame mounted HPX on my Mid 80s Asian steel bike. I hardly know the pump is there when riding.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 05-11-20, 11:27 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts

Yes it has the nest or hole for a rear of head tube stud.

I am a full size frame pump fan. They pump up higher with less strokes. I use both Silcas and a Zefel HPX. The SIlcas are old (35+ years), but still work, but are now hard to find, unless you buy the new improved version. The old ones are plastic bodies and the new once are are aluminum. They work very, very well.

The Zefal also works very well. I use it on my new Bianchi, as the Silca from my older bike mounted against the seat tube and is a bit too long (new sloping Top Tubes shorten the seat tube). The Silcas do not have the lever on the chuck which I prefer, but the Zefal's is not a problem. I only use Presta valves, although the Zefal can be used for Schraeder valves also if that is an issue. THey are alleged to come in silver or blacx, but I have not seena silver one in years. Mine is black. The Zefal handle is contoured to the frame tubes if you want to mount on the seat tube. On the seat tube, it does not need a peg, and is easier to carry the bike, but you loose a water battle mount..

Measure carefully as the Zefal comes in 4 sizes.

My recommendation - Zefal, but if price is not an issue go Silca. I always take my pump with me if I park the bike, no matter which one it is.
Old 05-11-20, 11:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
... THey are alleged to come in silver or blacx, but I have not seena silver one in years. Mine is black. The Zefal handle is contoured to the frame tubes if you want to mount on the seat tube. On the seat tube, it does not need a peg, and is easier to carry the bike, but you loose a water battle mount..
Look for the Zephal "Classic" pump. Silver like the old HP but it is otherwise an HPX. HPX style handle for the headtube peg.
Old 05-12-20, 02:50 PM
Buzzkill53120

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Look for the Zephal "Classic" pump. Silver like the old HP but it is otherwise an HPX. HPX style handle for the headtube peg.
Zefal's website shows only black. Perhaps I can find one on ebay or a vintage site.
Old 05-12-20, 10:14 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Zefal's website shows only black. Perhaps I can find one on ebay or a vintage site.
All the reviews of the Classic HPX in Silver were from the 2011-2012 era. Unless you luck into true "New Old Stock" or NOS it will most likely be older. There is an older "Classic Lapize" model, but it is the type with a small hose. From experience that is a less than ideal situation, but some may like it.

I would go for the new black model. I know Rivendell has them.

This website may have older versions and possibly even some old Silcas, but not cheap. Call or email them first as they get stuff from many sources.. https://www.yellowjersey.org/hpx.html.

Zefals come in 4 sixes. If you get a size, get the largest one that will fit so it is compressed more and under more spring pressure and therefore more secure over bumps and road vibrations.
#1 - I could not find info on this one.
#2 - 40cm - 46cm (15.75" - 18.1")
#3 - 46cm - 51cm (18.1" - 20"
#4 - 51cm - 56cm (20" - 22")

Remember this is from the surface of the frame tubes (seat/head tubes or top/down tubes) where the pump contacts.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 05-12-20 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-13-20, 12:33 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I've got a Zefal REV88 on my Peugeot AO-8. It's got holes for pump pegs at both ends and is completely secure on the bike.
​​​​​​
Old 05-13-20, 02:29 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I have both Silca and Zefal pumps on my vintage racers. They are both good pumps but the Zefal is slightly better for getting tires to full pressure.
Old 05-13-20, 07:16 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
You won't go wrong with a Zefal. I'm not sure why Silca Impero pumps cost so much. I have 3 of them bought in the 1980s and every one of them has self destructed within five years. It was either the pump head that cracked or, on one pump, the body that the head attaches to cracked. Perhaps they've improved since then, but they would have to pump themselves for me to spend that much money. Some folks equate price with quality and the market exploits this.
Old 05-13-20, 08:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Zefal HPs

Somehow I've accumulated a few. They seem to be the two smaller sizes. The two smaller ones pump well, the larger ones not so much. Maybe cannibalize? Anyway, I'm happy to pass them along for cost of shipping. Apparently the umbrella clips, etc have been lost.

Old 05-13-20, 03:43 PM
Bill in VA

Originally Posted by ExPatTyke
I've got a Zefal REV88 on my Peugeot AO-8. It's got holes for pump pegs at both ends and is completely secure on the bike.
​​​​​​
Nice bike, I have that color in a UO-8. But that view and countryside is absolutely splendid.
Old 05-14-20, 02:22 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
You won't go wrong with a Zefal. I'm not sure why Silca Impero pumps cost so much. I have 3 of them bought in the 1980s and every one of them has self destructed within five years. It was either the pump head that cracked or, on one pump, the body that the head attaches to cracked. Perhaps they've improved since then, but they would have to pump themselves for me to spend that much money. Some folks equate price with quality and the market exploits this.
The new Silca Impero shares nothing with the 80s version except the leather piston. For something that was super cool and super light the old one was reasonably priced. Longevity? I use my Silca with a Campagnolo pump head that was purchased new in 1964, has always worked perfectly, is still using the original rubber gasket. It has been in continuous use all that time. The new pump is aimed at people who have $10,000 and more for a custom bike. No intention of selling a lot of them.

Correct, you will not go wrong with a Zefal.
Old 05-14-20, 06:15 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

How many bicycle pumps do you know of that can be run over by a car and still work or repaired to work for many years more?

I had a Zefal HP pump that had been run over and and partially flattened by a car. That was at a bike shop where the customer bought a new Zefal HP pump and told the shop to trash the damaged one. They gave it to me when I asked them for it. I took it home, got an appropriate diameter wood dowel and chamfered the end of. Then I lubricated the inside of the pump barrel and the outside of the dowel. I then tapped the dowel down into the barrel of the pump twisting and removing the dowel at intervals so it'd not get stuck. The next day I took that repaired Zefal pump back to the shop and showed it to them. They were absolutely amazed to see it brought back to life and working again. they even tested it to make sure it was functioning. I had that pump for years afterwards.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-14-20, 07:30 PM
Bill in VA

Originally Posted by Miele Man
How many bicycle pumps do you know of that can be run over by a car and still work or repaired to work for many years more?

I had a Zefal HP pump that had been run over and and partially flattened by a car. That was at a bike shop where the customer bought a new Zefal HP pump and told the shop to trash the damaged one. They gave it to me when I asked them for it. I took it home, got an appropriate diameter wood dowel and chamfered the end of. Then I lubricated the inside of the pump barrel and the outside of the dowel. I then tapped the dowel down into the barrel of the pump twisting and removing the dowel at intervals so it'd not get stuck. The next day I took that repaired Zefal pump back to the shop and showed it to them. They were absolutely amazed to see it brought back to life and working again. they even tested it to make sure it was functioning. I had that pump for years afterwards.

Cheers
I greatly applaud your ingenuity and rejection of the "disposable culture mentality.".
Old 05-14-20, 07:48 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I greatly applaud your ingenuity and rejection of the "disposable culture mentality.".
That was back in 1984 or 1985. I had bought a Miele Beta from the shop and had it in for a quick adjustment. I don't know of many other bicycle pumps that could be run over by a car and then made to work again.

I have a Zefal HP and a Zerfal HPX but I need the insides for the pump heads. I think Zefal still makes and sells those bits. I should really order them.

Cheers
Old 05-14-20, 08:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man

Cheers
You're no fun. You just told my story (except the part with the bike shop). My handle had a slight arc when I finished. Make for a really ergonomic pump stroke. That pump stayed on my commuter another 10 years. Forgot what happened to it but it wasn't failure. Oh, those were my no-floor-pump days. Those pumps weren't toys.

Ben
Old 05-16-20, 11:38 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
Lezyne Road drives are great pumps. Did a lot of research before pulling the trigger. I have the carbon model in the "small" size and it's excellent. I'm sure the larger, frame-size models are just as good.
Yes, but I have a 36 year old Zefal Frame pump that still works. I'd say that isn't too bad quality.