Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tips for Short Ride Prep

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tips for Short Ride Prep

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 04:02 PM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Tips for Short Ride Prep

What kind of tips or hack do people practice for short rides, to keep preparation (bike related, kit related, etc.) from being cumbersome? I'd like to get out more, but my guess is 30-40 minute rides is about the best I can do either right before work or after work. What can I do to streamline the "non-riding" activities to maximize my time on the bike?
Old 06-10-20, 04:07 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Attach saddlebags, frame bags, or whatever, enough to contain your pump, tools, tube, etc., and just leave 'em on the bike. Then your only prep time is checking the tires and airing them up if needed.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 06-10-20, 04:16 PM
am0n

What about kits? Do you just have several and wash them all at once later in the week? Or do you wash them daily?
Old 06-10-20, 04:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6952 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
1) Pump up tires once per week. Inflate them a little higher than you prefer, then they will lose air through the week.
2) Lube your chain after every couple rides. Do it in the garage when you get back from a ride, while you are cooling down. Also give the bike a look over for any problems.
3) Have at least 3x kits, organized somewhere so you can change quickly.
4) Know your route before you head out, avoid traffic, intersections with stoplights, etc.
5) Have a tolerant spouse.

On the weekend, spend a little more time on your bike: clean the chain, look for problems, do any necessary adjustments, etc.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-10-20, 04:28 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I ride early in the morning and always make sure I've got everything I need ready to rock the night before. That way I can roll out of bed, hit the espresso machine while getting dressed, and hop on my bike and ride. I usually fill up water bottles the night before and stick them in the fridge. I also make sure to plug in my Garmin and rechargable lights the night before so they're all charged up in the AM.

I keep a duffel bag stored next to my bike with things like my helmet, sunglasses, arm/leg warmers, extra socks, gloves, jacket, etc in it so I can grab those items as needed depending on temp.

I clean and lube my bike on the weekends, but not during the week. The only thing I do during the week is check tire pressure.
Old 06-10-20, 04:38 PM
BkSaGo

Bikes: CAAD9 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Most of my rides in the past few years have been the short after work rides the OP is talking about.
The most important thing is to not find an excuse not to go.

Koyote has a good list. I'd add:
  1. Don't talk yourself out of riding on the way home or after you get home
  2. Plan your route on the way home. Actually, it's more picking a ride from a set of pre-planned routes I do frequently ... I take into account weather, time, legs, traffic, etc,
  3. Don't plan on or do anything else when you get home ... get home, get ready and go!
I keep the bike ready to go in the garage so I can put my kit on, grab a water bottle, check the tires and go.
If you REALLY want to be efficient, lay out your kit, have a water bottle full in the fridge.
Old 06-10-20, 04:47 PM
am0n

Thanks.

How often do you guys clean your kits?

How often do you clean your bike/lube the chain? If I only ride 30 miles a week (3x10 mile rides) doing that weekly seems overkill, but maybe I am wrong?

Other tips are good. Sounds like in general I need to grab a few extra pairs of clothes and just find a place where I am plug in/organize everything to streamline it.
Old 06-10-20, 05:01 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I ride shorter rides most days. Probably 17-30 miles. You're doing 1/2 that. I run tubeless so my saddle bag consists of a mini-pump and a tri-spoke hex wrench. I carry a cell phone, some chews and a water bottle. that's it. I get up, put on my kit, pump up the tires (before every ride) and I'm off.
Old 06-10-20, 06:01 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by am0n
What about kits? Do you just have several and wash them all at once later in the week? Or do you wash them daily?
I have six "kits" and other misc. clothing items. I usually wash twice a week so I always have ample clean kits.
Old 06-10-20, 08:28 PM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Compared to many, I think I'm a real minimalist when it comes to these things. I pump up my tires maybe every 2 weeks, clean/lube the chain once a month, and no longer own any "kits". I just wear shorts and a tee shirt.

I used to spend a lot more time cleaning/lubing my chain and used to wear bike shorts and jerseys. Now I just ride. I do 4 or 5 10 mile rides per week.
Old 06-11-20, 09:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Big thing for me is to keep everything in a known place. It doesn't have to be all together, but wandering through four laps of the house looking for sunglasses, for example, takes way too much time. Back before WFH, the worst thing was trying to find my work IDs the day after I drove the car.
Old 06-11-20, 10:10 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Long or short, the only difference is the amount of water and food I carry.

I have a saddle bag with what I need to fix 90% of problems. Anything I can't handle, I have a smartphone with AAA and Uber.

All I do is add air and go. I maintain my bike every week ans it's always ready to ride.

I have 2 bibs and a number of jerseys and socks, so I wash everything once a week.
Old 06-11-20, 10:29 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
The most important thing is to prep all your gear the night before. I've found I actually enjoy getting everything prepared before bedtime. Bottles or hydration pack filled, bike lubed and checked, tires pumped, clothing laid out, etc.

Then, come ride time, not only are you ready to hit the road or trail, but you are FAR more likely not to blow-off a ride due to the phenomenon known as laziness. You think to yourself, "Well, already spent the time getting everything ready, might as well!". Then you head out and end up having a blast!

I absolutely loathe days when I forget to ready all my equipment, feels like it takes FOREVER to leave the house.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 06-11-20, 10:46 AM
leob1

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by am0n
Thanks.

How often do you guys clean your kits?

How often do you clean your bike/lube the chain? If I only ride 30 miles a week (3x10 mile rides) doing that weekly seems overkill, but maybe I am wrong?

Other tips are good. Sounds like in general I need to grab a few extra pairs of clothes and just find a place where I am plug in/organize everything to streamline it.
Since short, bibs, tights and knickers are ridden in commando, it's a one and done deal. Washed after every use. I also have enough jersevy to wash after every use.
If your chain makes noise, clean\lube it, it's up to you to do it on a regular schedule or not.