Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need a 700x32 Tube

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Need a 700x32 Tube

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 06:10 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Need a 700x32 Tube

Hi All,

I just went TL on my bike, the Continental GP5000 in 700x32. I'm having trouble sourcing a lighter weight 700x32 tube (for backup purposes). The Continental Race 28 comes in a 700-28/32, but the tube itself is massive for most saddle bags. I was hoping to find something lighter / slimmer.

Any thoughts or am I going about this all wrong?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-20, 06:36 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Just carry a tube for a 25mm or similar. It will get you home. If you've ever pumped up a tube when looking for a leak, you'll know how much they can expand.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-25-20, 09:22 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Tubolito.

Or just carry a smaller tube and don't worry about it.
Old 08-25-20, 09:32 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

I've had a few people just say carry smaller tubes.

I have a bunch of 700x20/25 Conti Race 28s at home. Guess I'll just use those.
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 08-26-20, 06:43 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
I just went TL on my bike, the Continental GP5000 in 700x32.
TL = tubeless?

Assuming so, I'm running the same tires, same size, and tubeless this year and I am not carrying a spare tube. (I know, I run with scissors!) I got feedback from a different forum on what people are carrying in their seat packs when they run tubeless tires. The responses ranged radically... from people carrying several spare tubes to no tubes at all.

The Conti 5000 TL tires were so hard to get on my wheels that I realized there's no way I'd be able to get them off, add a tube, and get them back on at the side of the road without cursing-up-a-storm. Not to mention, putting in a tube will break the seal created by the tubeless sealant... and putting a tube into a tire that is full of sealant is a huge mess. (I know this because I've done it.)

When I think back to what caused the majority of punctures in my tires over the past 25+ years of riding, it was almost always small pinch-flats (which won't exist with tubeless tires) or small shards of metal (like a staple or glass) stuck in the tire. A tubeless setup ought to be able to seal those to types of leaks pretty easily. The only time one would need a tube would be if there was some kind of major tire failure, of which I feel the odds of that happening are so small that it's just not worth carrying a large 700x32c tube to deal with that situation... that kind of tire failure would resort in a phone call for a ride home in the rare event that it happens.

Obviously, where you ride and how much "risk tolerance" you have will dictate what tools you take on each ride.

My current tire repair now consists of:
  • Mini pump - Provides air as often as I need it, unlike CO2 that only works once.
  • Replacement valve core(s) + core tool - I've broken valve cores in the past, so having a spare or two weighs nearly nothing. I never would've thought valve cores can break so easily, until one did.
  • Small sealant bottle - I've discovered that tire sealant, like Stan's, can turn to water once all the latex has dried onto the inside of the tire. To avoid surprises like this while out on the road, I carry a portable bottle of sealant.
  • Mobile phone - 'Cause sometimes you can't be prepared enough no matter what you bring!
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 08-27-20, 06:31 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

While I agree it is very unlikely I'll end up ever using the tube, it is still good to have. I do ride with others and you never know, they may end up needing my tube, and at least then I can help.

I ended up picking up a VeloColour Dynamite Roll Bag. Love it, and it is made locally (in Toronto, Canada).
Old 08-28-20, 12:34 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I have 32c GP5000 TL's as well. I carry a spare race 28 tube, but I seriously doubt I could get the tires off the wheel for a roadside repair, so I'm not sure it matters.
I also carry dynaplugs, a patch kit (no idea what I'd do with that), a multi-tool, 3 tire levers (that will likely break), and 2 CO2 canisters/head.

Now that I think about it, I have no idea why I'm even running road tubeless. I suppose I've lowered my chances of getting a flat, but I've definitely increased my chances of needing a ride if that does happen.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-28-20, 03:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Now that I think about it, I have no idea why I'm even running road tubeless. I suppose I've lowered my chances of getting a flat, but I've definitely increased my chances of needing a ride if that does happen.
You wouldn't be the first to return to tubes for road sizes.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-29-20, 04:47 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

I never even intended to go Tubeless. When I bought the bike I asked to have the stock tires switched to the GP5000. My LBS called me and said "hey your wheels are Tubeless Ready, why not go Tubeless?"