Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Shops Are Busy, So I'm Wrenching More...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 07:41 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts

My trusted Local Bike Shops' service departments are busy and back-logged so I'm doing a more wrenching than I used to.

Back in my 20s and 30s I did a lot of my own maintenance and repair including cleaning and repacking bearings. But when I entered my 40s (18 years ago) I started having my mechanics do more of the things I could do myself, as I didn't want to spend the time and effort, and because I have bike techs who know more and do a better job than I can, and can prevent future problems instead of causing them like me.

One exception was last fall when I converted my old MTB to drop bars myself to keep the cost down (along with using mostly used parts...~$80 total).

However, today I removed and replaced the pedals on my main commuter as the right pedal of a cheap pair I bought and had the LBS install last spring disintegrated. (It was metal and plastic and possibly hit a rock or curb, I don't remember, but it was enough to send it on a downward spiral. The new ones are all-metal Origin 8's)

Then I added in-line barrel adjusters to the brake cables on my old MTB. Four years ago I had the LBS replace the cantilever brakes with V-brakes. The new brakes had no trim adjustment. And when I converted from straight bars to drops last fall, the new long-pull drop-bar brake levers had no adjustment provision either. That worked out for the first year, but I just bought a second wheel set (used) to mount my studded snow tires, so I could more easily swap wheelsets instead of mounting and unmounting tires. Well, as careful as I was choosing wheels with similar rim widths, there is still a big enough difference to necessitate adjustment to the cable.

I was successful and was able to swap wheel sets in under 5 minutes as opposed to the 30 to 45 minutes it takes to change tires.

I enjoyed the sense of accomplishment and the money I saved by doing it myself, but I would still have prefered the shops to do it if it wasn't going to take a week or more for the turnaround.

How about you? Are you doing more of your own work these days?

Last edited by BobbyG; 08-29-20 at 07:45 PM.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-29-20, 07:52 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I have a stand and do what I can. Chains, cassettes, mechanical brakes and sometimes cables. I think a mechanic who wrenches on Force, Red, Ultegra and Dura Ace will know the nuances of how to tune it just right.
Old 08-29-20, 07:53 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I always do my own work.... I trust no one.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-29-20, 07:53 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
I'm like you. I can afford to have shops take care of my repairs and more advanced maintenance, and that is my preference. They can do much of it more quickly, more competently, and they already have the tools and other supplies. Also, when I find a good shop, I enjoy supporting them. It all leaves more time for me to ride my bikes.

With that said, routine tasks like chain and cassette replacement, overhauling hubs, dealing with tires and such? I'll do that myself just because its easier than running the bike to a shop.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-29-20, 08:04 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Yes, I'm doing more wrenching.

Though, I'm a relative noob to some things. It's been decades since I last did a full build-up. And other than a number of individual parts swaps and re-cabling jobs, there are a number of things I've never done. Don't have all of the tools, though I've got all of the basics. So, I have the shop do the couple of things I can't yet (for lack of tools, knowledge), and I do the rest. That is, when I can get the parts.
Old 08-29-20, 08:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I don't have time. The shop is so busy that my job takes care of most of my free time and the time I do have off I kind of usually want a little break from dealing with bikes.
Old 08-29-20, 10:47 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I always do my own work.... I trust no one.

Thats a nice collection of 4 cyl distributers !
Old 08-29-20, 11:32 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I do all of my own wrenching. It's not that I don't trust a mechanic, but a bike is such a simple machine, and doing my own maintenance greatly improves my enjoyment of riding. I don't have to spend time driving with my bike in a car, twice, to get basic work done.
Old 08-30-20, 01:12 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
The reason I do most of my own stuff is that most bike stuff is trivial, and it takes my bike offline for only an hour or something. Earlier this year I replaced the exhaust gasket on my truck, which was non trivial because it’s a turbo. Spilled coolant and oil everywhere, even though I drained it. It seemed like every time I undid a bolt it would let more air into the water lines and here comes some more antifreeze. Let me tell you, those of you who imagine leaking a few ounces of fluid out of your brakes or tubeless tires... holy crap. Some of the bolts were really blind and all the holes wouldn’t line up to put it back together. And it took me three weekends.
Old 08-30-20, 01:14 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
I have always done my own wrenching. Here is my shop today.

Old 08-30-20, 01:54 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
Nobody can or would show as much love to my bikes as I do.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-30-20, 06:23 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Thats a nice collection of 4 cyl distributers !
I restore them. VW, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Saab.

rsche
Old 08-30-20, 08:50 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Old news.
Always have and always will do my own work on my bikes. I enjoy it plus I can't afford bike shops.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 08-30-20, 08:52 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I taught myself how to do the basics back in fifth grade (circa 1973) and have pretty much done everything myself since then. And I’m riding old bikes that are super simple to work on.

Very glad at this point because it would seem silly to have to take a bike out of action for a couple of weeks for something simple and easy that I could actually do myself.

OTOH, I really haven’t worked on cars much since I got rid of the ‘73 Super Beetle in about 1990.

Otto
Old 08-30-20, 05:24 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I have nothing against bike shops or those that use them for repairs but for me personally the only time I would use a shop for repairs is if it required a very expensive tool that I didn't want to buy. Even then I might consider buying the tool. As others have said bikes are simple and I rather spend 30 minutes in my garage with my bike than taking it to a shop, leaving it there, and then going back and paying to do something I can do. To that end I have tools and many replacement parts and consumables.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 08-30-20, 06:01 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
For the 50+ years i've been cycling, I consider it part of the sport/hobby. Except , pressing on headset races, which I take to the LBS. Maybe 4-5 times in that span of time. If it aint on Youtube, , it doesn't happen KB.
Old 08-30-20, 07:48 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
I consider it part of the sport/hobby. Except , pressing on headset races, which I take to the LBS.
Same here, right down to headset races.

My day job is not mechanical in any way, and I like tinkering with things. Wrenching is usually kind of relaxing.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 08-30-20, 08:17 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Had as stuck SRAM Force 1 crankset. Self extracting bolt wouldn't budge, I would normally take it into a shop to break it. With some Blaster 16-PB penetrating catalyst , some pipe, some straps to bind the crankarm to the chainstay, and the usual tools I was finally able to get it free. That crack when it unlocked was a heavenly sound. The self extracting bolt was fine in the end.

Likes For GeneO:
Old 08-31-20, 05:13 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG

I've always done all my own work, because apart from wheel building that takes less time than dropping off and picking up a bicycle and tool costs the first time aren't out of line with labor charges.

Wheel building takes longer but guarantees the job is done right.

While building great wheels is not difficult, doing it fast enough for hourly profit comparable to other jobs takes a lot of practice which fewer mechanics have since the market moved to pre-built wheels. Most compromise and do a bad job fast.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-31-20 at 05:20 PM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 08-31-20, 05:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
I do almost no maintenance myself.
Old 08-31-20, 05:57 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
As someone else already pointed out, it's almost always cheaper to buy the parts & tools online and do the job yourself than it is to pay for parts & labor from the LBS. And you can return the tools for a full refund if you don't need them anymore. I don't know why LBSs are so scammy with their pricing structure, but it's the #1 reason why I won't go to a bike shop unless I've exhausted all other options.

If it weren't pandemic season, I would still be going to the local bicycle co-op to borrow tools and a workstand. The local bike shops have nothing of value to offer me, and I let them know by spending my money elsewhere.
Old 08-31-20, 06:14 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
all those distributors? its a 4 cylinder with rim brakes?
Old 08-31-20, 06:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
By my count it's a 292 cylinder engine. Guess 300 was too obvious...
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-01-20, 02:53 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I do all my own maintenance and repairs. I have most of the tools I need/want and it saves a lot of time going to the LBS, waiting until the repair is done (sometimes that can be days) and the cost. Labour here is in the $40.00+ range and a time per repair is not given.

I've had LBS make a mistake a couple of times that could have caused a serious accident. I don't trust others as much as I trust myself now to do the work.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 09-01-20, 04:12 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Only thing I can’t do well myself is true wheels — boy do I suck at that. But last time I took a wheel in for truing and to replace some bent spokes at the one remaining bike shop in this hick town, they installed a Velox rim tape without consulting me, adding like $15 to a bill that came to an amount exceeding what I’d originally paid for the wheel brand new. Really pi$$ed me off especially since I’d just purchased about $60 of Velox elsewhere so did not need that from them at all.

Apart from truing wheels, wouldn’t trust them to do anything else right at all. Senior and most experienced mechanic there (and I gather, recently retired) who was actually pretty great at building wheels, really screwed up the threaded headset and external bottom bracket installation on a new bike of mine. Have since learned to do those tasks myself, though must admit the cost of all the requisite equipment was kinda staggering. Anyway really appreciate having my own bike stand now, makes everything so much easier. With dedicated tools, knocking out old headsets and installing new races is a cinch (only tricky part is reinstalling the quill stem on threaded jobbies, which I won’t go into here.)

TL;DR: “If a job is worth doing, do it yourself.”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.