Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling influences your tastes in music?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 08:14 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts

Being a teen in the 80's, I loved good heavy metal. Stuff like Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. And then into the 90 with more metal, stuff like Soundgarden, Pantera. And then into the early 2000's with Slipknot, Disturbed and others.
While I rode a bit in my teens and twenty's, I really didn't start getting serious until my mid to late 30's. And I tried to listen to metal while riding. It just didn't seem to fit. It just..I dunno...not much of a motivator.

A few years ago, my daughters were into the anime/kpop scene. They offered to upload some of the more techno kpop stuff to my phone. I've always thought this stuff to be a bit cheesy. But being bored on a long ride and not wanting to listen to my metal tracks, I decided to pull up their playlist and...it wasn't that bad! Nice upbeat music, good steady beat, and it put me into a good mood. If anything, it was a good beat that seemed to fit much more nicely with cycling than guitars and screaming.
I do remember liking of the of the early EDM stuff, like Technotronic, Labouche, Snap!, etc. .These got uploaded to my playlists, and they fit nicely into my long rides too.
With the advent of streaming radio on smartphones, I've searched several stations. I've settled on one that always fits cycling, PulsRadio Dance.

Now, Ive read that as people age, their music tastes do too. And this might be the case. But for now, the upbeat EDM stuff seems to fit my cycling best, and that seems to be the genre I listen to most now, even on my drive to work.

TLDR:
Cycling made me find music more suited for this activity. and upbeat EDM type stuff has fit the bill to much that I now rarely listen to the stuff I did when I was younger.

Has cycling influenced anyone else's tastes in music as well?
Old 11-04-20, 08:23 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I don't listen to music while on a bike. My taste in music, and its importance in my life has changed over the years.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 11-04-20, 08:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
No, and I also do not listen to music while I ride.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-04-20, 08:36 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I don't listen to music when I ride, but as a piano/keyboard/synth player I sometimes have melodies running through my head. If I can sync them to the cyclic rhythm that comes from pedaling the bike, so much the better!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-04-20, 09:30 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I don't listen to music when i ride.

But i'm still finding Grateful Dead concerts i've not heard on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=grateful+dead
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-04-20, 09:33 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I’m in the “don’t listen to music when I’m riding” group (although if I’m doing that rare stationary ride I will). Yet, there seems to always be a song in my head, sometimes depending on where I am, I may sing it out loud. And it’s things that I pass during the ride that get the song in my head. I pass a street sign for “Schoolhouse Ln.” and I think of Alice Cooper’s song School’s Out . I pass a mailbox with the name “Tanner” on it and I think of Harry Chapin’s song “Mr. Tanner.” A Corvette Stingray or Jaguar XKE pass and I think of Jan and Dean’s Deadman’s Curve. And so it goes.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 11-04-20, 09:41 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I have tried but cannot really get comfortable listening to music while on my trainer and Zwift. Sometimes on a long rail trail ride with no traffic I will listen to some music but true confession it's really just background noise.
Old 11-04-20, 10:08 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
“Has cycling influenced anyone else's tastes in music as well?”

Riding has not changed my musical tastes, in or out of the saddle. Since I tend to ride three or four roads leading from my house over and over, and don’t ride with anyone now, I find listening with one ear nice. Depending on my mood, I will listen light classic rock, Pink Floyd, Cat Stevens, Tom Petty, etc. If I know I am going out to hammer, I amp it up considerably with my new favorites, German Industrial Metal, Rammstein, Eisbrucher and the like. But then I have a German background and find the language suits that genre.

Old 11-04-20, 10:11 AM
Cmichini

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Crossroad Sport Hybrid, 1998 Trek 800 MTB

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I play music via my cell phone's speakers (mounted to my handle bars), typically streaming Sirius XM radio, most often the 70's/80's pop station.
The music is reminiscent of my youth, with a good beat and upbeat/positive songs.
keeps a smile on my face, and my toes tapping.
Likes For Cmichini:
Old 11-04-20, 02:04 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
can't listen while riding but do while on the trainer. and yeah, i get the kpop stuff, my kids liked it a couple of years ago. its the beat that keeps me going. sometimes my cadence matches the beat quite well and when that happens riding on the trainer is so easy.
Likes For spelger:
Old 11-04-20, 02:35 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I usually listen to some podcast - most often in just one ear. Fun stories and comedy radio dramas. When I do listen to music on the bike, it's usually either happy music - well, what I find happy - including punk and opera - or very aggressive music. I have always had a very wide taste in music, so as long as it is something that fits the mood (i.e. I'm happy when I'm on my bike), I'm good to go.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-04-20 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-04-20, 02:55 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
With the advent of streaming radio on smartphones, I've searched several stations. I've settled on one that always fits cycling, PulsRadio Dance.

Now, Ive read that as people age, their music tastes do too. And this might be the case. But for now, the upbeat EDM stuff seems to fit my cycling best, and that seems to be the genre I listen to most now, even on my drive to work.

TLDR:
Cycling made me find music more suited for this activity. and upbeat EDM type stuff has fit the bill to much that I now rarely listen to the stuff I did when I was younger.

Has cycling influenced anyone else's tastes in music as well?
My musical tastes haven't changed much in the last 50 years; R&B/Soul then and now. The songs and music of few artists since the 70's have too much appeal for me other than Prince, Madonna, Michael Jackson, George Michael and Whitney Houston. I used to listen to R&B all the time (Cassette player, CD player then mp3 player) when riding, but for the last 15 years or so, I usually listen to audio books. Occasionally for a change of pace I listen to a playlist of soul/R&B on shuffle mode. The latest playlist is attached.

The two radio stations that I like to stream while at my computer on the weekend for their soulful and eclectic music are WWOZ from New Orleans and WFPK from Louisville. Outstanding variety.
Attached Files
Old 11-04-20, 03:00 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Just yesterday I was on a MUP and approaching a skateboarder. He was weaving side to side, as skateboarders do. I slowed down and called out... no response. So i called out again slowly getting closer. I called again and again finally I was barely going 5 mph and decided to pass. He was VERY surprised when he saw me and started yelling at me. I noticed he had earbuds in and I stopped and said "I called out 7 times. Maybe you should turn the music down and be less self absorbed."

Then he started swearing at me so i rode off.

I was tempted to circle around on the fire road and pass him again, but this time to know him on his a$$. But decided to be an adult and hope someone else does it.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-04-20, 03:46 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
\ I noticed he had earbuds in
To be young and naive again.
On a bike while riding an MUP, you gotta have some rear view mirror thing going on.
Old 11-04-20, 03:57 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by friday1970
To be young and naive again.
On a bike while riding an MUP, you gotta have some rear view mirror thing going on.
You need situational awareness.. whatever works. But you can be totally disconnected from the world around you.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-04-20, 05:16 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
No, not at all. If I had any it might.
Old 11-04-20, 05:55 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
No, can't say riding has changed my taste in music. I'm another who never listens to music while riding. Prefer to enjoy the moment.

I do get songs in my head when riding. Get songs when seeing certain objects as well. I sing out loud on the MUPS. Gets people's attention better than bells or on-the-left and usually makes them smile. Always a simple song, I don't have much dynamic range.
Old 11-04-20, 05:56 PM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
I think you’re chicken-egg’ing with pork and beans on your plate.

15-20yo me rode far better with AJFA or Pantera’s Official Live blasting into my clip-on earphones. That intro to “Blackened”?! Holy fekkin isht! “Five” “Minutes” “ALOOOONE!” Hell yeah!

I’m 36 now and mostly listen to either Zero7 & Urban Flora or Thelonius/Stephane Grapelli type music, whether I’m about to get on the bike sans headphones or I’m doing the dishes.

Sometimes I might put DK or Gorilla Biscuits on for ten or twenty minutes before riding and have it bouncing around my head while pedaling.

Sometimes I’ll do the same with Los Panchos or Buena Vista SC.

Sometimes it’ll be “The Bee Made Honey in the Lion’s Skull”.

The only thing that has real effect on my ride is how well I’ve slept and eaten.

home sick today I heard from the bathroom some talk show dude saying that he listens to gut wrenching ballads while working out. Air Supply and Toto?
Old 11-04-20, 06:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
sesame street & then Itchy & scratchy are the jams! 88 miles of that & you'll beat PR everytime. That's if you don't find a fast moving bus to frogger in front of..
Old 11-04-20, 06:50 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Back in my youth, 80s and some 90s, I used to just listen to the radio while biking. Pop and rock stations.

Nowadays, I enjoy listening to the Blues via YouTube or Amazon music via my phone. Enjoy live blues recordings even more with long jam sessions. I can get into the most meditative zones man.... No drugs or alcohol required.
Old 11-04-20, 06:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't listen to music while riding my bike, I find it annoying and distracting..
Old 11-04-20, 07:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
Also listen to podcasts about subjects which interest me. The miles go by faster that way. If I was riding new roads or exploring, then probably wouldn’t listen to anything but the sound of rubber on the pavement.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-04-20, 07:12 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Music while riding? Nah. Riding is time for silent prayer and meditation. If I want music, I'll sing to myself.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-04-20, 07:19 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Hard to play a cello while riding.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 11-04-20, 07:30 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I listen to podcasts at the end of my commute in both directions, once the bike paths diverge from the adjacent road, so I can use my phone's speaker while it's in a stem bag and still hear it. I occasionally listen to music, especially Goa or Psytrance, if I'm on a long climb with little to no traffic. I am looking at bone conduction headphones right now, so I can listen to podcasts on those cold winter commutes while leaving my ears open to road noise (I'm on dedicated bike paths all the way, though) and other ambient sounds for safety.

Here in Korea a lot of guys have bluetooth speakers, or just use their phones. Being stuck behind someone blaring trot, a local genre, can be excruciating. It's like a German Oompah band got drunk and sentimental and decided to play sad songs with Asian instruments, over a throbbing one-two beat with a schizophrenic saxophonist. It can be a very good workout, though, as you work to pass the trot, and then have to be mindful of the trot chasing you and keep a respectable interval. Older men used to decorate cheap bikes with tens to hundreds of lights--one such guy was my old mate "Lightship Larry"--as well as decorative tchotchkes like old Marine Corps or Army pins with their unit and service dates and blast trot while riding the Han river paths. I actually kind of miss those guys these days, their bikes were artworks as much as vehicles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.