Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does riding with cagers boost your adrenaline?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-21-20, 11:54 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts

Do you like it? Of course I'd prefer not to be around cars. But when I'm next to tons(literally and numerically) of cars during rush hour my senses are certainly heightened. Isn't that what happens when you take cocaine or meth?
Old 12-21-20, 11:56 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
"Cagers".

Last edited by Reflector Guy; 12-21-20 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-21-20, 11:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
Isn't that what happens when you take cocaine or meth?
Experience?
Old 12-21-20, 11:59 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I cringe every time I hear the word "cagers." using that term is a good indication that a cyclist is a self-martyring elitist. a vast majority of people outside of densely-packed cities also drive cars.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 12-21-20, 12:07 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I cringe every time I hear the word "cagers." using that term is a good indication that a cyclist is a self-martyring elitist. a vast majority of people outside of densely-packed cities also drive cars.
I apologize. I picked that up from this board about 2 months ago after I joined. Had to google it. Was trying fit in. Don't weave in and out. Though if there are no cars around I will make a left on a red arrow.
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Huh?

cager

Noun
cag·​er | \ ˈkājə(r) \
plural -s

Definition of cager

1a: a worker who loads and unloads cages and gives hoisting signals — called also cageman, cage tender, onsetter, skip tender

b: a mechanical apparatus for pushing cars on or off a cage
2: a basketball player
burritos

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Experience?
Curious, though never tried. That's why it's a question.
Old 12-21-20, 12:09 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Huh?

cager

Noun
cag·​er | \ ˈkājə(r) \
plural -s

Definition of cager

1a: a worker who loads and unloads cages and gives hoisting signals — called also cageman, cage tender, onsetter, skip tender

b: a mechanical apparatus for pushing cars on or off a cage
2: a basketball player
According to here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...hat-cager.html
Old 12-21-20, 12:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I went with Merriam Webster more reliable then some random Internet forum.

Just ride your bike and don't do drugs!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-21-20, 12:19 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I went with Merriam Webster more reliable then some random Internet forum.

Just ride your bike and don't do drugs!
Biking is my drug. Intensity and quality of experience varies with conditions, environment, location, etc...
Likes For burritos:
Old 12-21-20, 12:21 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Do you like it? Of course I'd prefer not to be around cars. But when I'm next to tons(literally and numerically) of cars during rush hour my senses are certainly heightened. Isn't that what happens when you take cocaine or meth?
Yes, but I find my tolerance keeps rising so I need ever increasing doses for the same high.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 12-21-20, 12:22 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts

Yes it does

Old 12-21-20, 03:59 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
I'd think a using a definition from the site you're on would be reasonable. I'm occasionally a cager, though I spend more time on my bike.

Back to the original question. Adrenaline? Not usually, I've been riding with other traffic long enough I'm mostly inured to it. There are a few exceptions, when I've hopped on the only road around only to find high volume, high speed traffic, and nowhere to run. That'll get my heart pumping!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-21-20, 06:36 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Am I more aware of my surroundings when my surroundings demand that I be more aware in order to be safe and survive?

Suddenly the question seems rather silly.

I mean, if I ma riding swiftly along an MUP with some piles of leaves, some blind turns, , a few issues with pavement ---- I am more aware and alert than when I am cruising down a wide straight MUP with perfect pavement where I can see for half a mile.

Almost as if cars were not a part of it at all ......

I have done decades of ugly urban commuting. I learned to coexist.

As for the comparison between riding with cars and doing drugs .... nothing related. Some guy who used to look just like I used to look back in the day tried everything and reports back that you shouldn't get confused so easily.

That's like saying sticking your hand under a heat lamp is just like being out in the sun in a hot day because both make your skin warm---and both a re basically like falling into a campfire .... it is like saying that all experiences in life are similar because you are breathing during all of them.

Don't do drugs. Ride your bike.

I was going to jump on you for the "cagers"remark, but nah. You meant well. You seem like a decent person who just hasn't done drugs ... which means you have a slightly narrower range of experience and a lot less avoidable damage. You are way ahead of the game.

Try qigong. Once I started practicing Falun Dafa I stopped smoking my daily two or three clove cigarettes, and in time stopped all extracurricular medication. There really are better ways to get high---takes more work but well worth it.
Old 12-22-20, 12:30 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,576 Times in 2,894 Posts
From the Urban Dictionary, since the more ahem, senior respondents were going to Webster’s:

cager
a popular word among motorcyclists and bicyclists for four wheeled motor vehicle drivers. The term is often used in a derogativesense, because the car body effectively forms a cage, isolating the said driver from having to interact with other road users.

The term was coined by motorcyclists.

Personally don’t have a problem with the word. So many words have morphed over time and made it into “legitimate” dictionaries, it’s probably just a matter of time. Hard to stop progress, even if it appears backwards. I first thought a cager was U.K. slang, maybe like a punter.

I used to commute out of downtown Seattle at rush hour in the thick of busses, taxis, motorcycles and countless cars cutting back and forth around stopped busses, avoiding idiots not paying attention and first responders on a tear. It was exciting with all senses at the max. Was it like any drugs I took? Nope, more like having 3 big cups of coffee.

I ride a two lane highway with a 55 limit with lots of semis and dump trucks. I can’t avoid it if I want to get home. It definitely motivates me to get off it as quickly as possible. The unfortunate thing is that it’s uphill. The only drug there is called fear.

Old 12-22-20, 07:07 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
So, laying aside the use of the word "cagers", the answer is yes. But it's not a low level continuous boost of adrenaline, which wouldn't be physiologically healthy at all (weight gain, heart and blood vessel deterioration, insomnia, etc.). I hope that this isn't what the OP is asking, because the question is imprecise.

Rather, the once-in-a-while encounters that cause you to veer, brake hard to avoid collision, or jump out of your skin because of a near death experience of some sort, these cause larger adrenaline dumps that last for a few minutes. My normal response is rage and feelings of fear, as when smaller prey escape sure death. Adrenaline is a good thing, but surely not in daily doses.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 12-22-20, 09:21 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Just curious, what offensive word do drivers refer to bikers with? Anyone?
Tim
Old 12-22-20, 09:31 AM
boilermaker1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Cager is outlaw biker talk. Biker is also outlaw biker talk--a biker being a particular type of motorcyclist, an outlaw type. This goes back to at least the 1960s when I became aware of the terms. It's odd to see bicyclists talking so.

Last edited by boilermaker1; 12-22-20 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-22-20, 09:36 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Is this thread about old-timey basketball players?
Old 12-22-20, 09:39 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by boilermaker1
Cager is outlaw biker talk. Biker is also outlaw biker talk--a biker being a particular type of motorcyclist, an outlaw type. This goes back to at least the 1960s when I became aware of the terms. It's odd to see bicyclists talking so.
Remember Twin Peaks bar in Waco? Now that was some outlaw biker action...

I don't see any cyclists in the group, though.
Old 12-22-20, 10:18 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Terminology aside, as I understand it, boosting your awareness and reflexes when you're in danger is the purpose of adrenaline, so I'd guess probably yes.

Do I enjoy seeking out this kind of adrenaline boost? No.
Old 12-22-20, 10:37 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I do not flinch from riding in traffic, and I sometimes enjoy it, but I don't particularly do it for the rush. In fact, if I get a rush from anything other than some good downhill speed or traffic flow, that's probably a bad thing. I'll see if I can dig out one of my downtown LA videos from when I commuted for a couple of years.

Edit: It took me forever to figure out "cagers" around here. The term does sometimes cross my mind when I'm riding in traffic, I'll admit. At least now I know where it comes from.
Old 12-22-20, 12:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,468 Times in 4,179 Posts
I dont think my adrenaline is higher when I ride in traffic. I am certainly more aware, but I definitely dont feel a burst of adrenaline just because cars are near me. That would be exhausting, actually as I wouldnt want the adrenaline crash afterwards.
Old 12-23-20, 08:19 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Just curious, what offensive word do drivers refer to bikers with? Anyone?
Tim
Yesterday a gentleman in a pickup truck yelled that I was an a _ _ h o l e for riding on the road.
Old 12-23-20, 09:40 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
It's not "you versus traffic"...You are traffic.

I bike commuted for 28 years and while there are still a few sudden, harrowing encounters, decades of experience has taught me what to anticipate, and what kinds of out-of-the-ordinary incidents can occur.

The three best things I ever bought were a "Take-A-Look" glasses-mounted mirror which provides exceptional rear vision from curb to curb as you move your head, an air horn, and a helmet-mounted action cam.

By being able to clearly see traffic approaching from the rear I am able to use hand signals to alert them to my intentions like my desire to change lanes or turn, or waving at them to move away and not get too close, or waving them on ahead. I like to think that signaling to the driver behind you alerts them to the fact that you are now interacting with them, and not just some inanimate obstacle. It doesn't always work, but there was this one intersection with a turn lane I had to cross where cars would come up behind me regularly at 40-45mph. Once I stated wearing a mirror and began holding my left arm out as if to hold back a car from trying to get in front of me, things seemed calmer.

About 1993 or 1994 I discovered the Air-Zound Airhorn, which you pump up with your bike pump. It is very comforting having a "voice" in traffic to announce, warn and yes, once in a while voice displeasure.

About 7 years ago I bought my first action cam in order to capture on video all the bad drivers out there and possibly report them. Well, it was really to document any serious incidents, but I was thrilled that I would be able to give those selfish, aggresive drivers their come-uppence. What I discovered though was my own anger, aggression and over-reactions. After the ride and after the adrenaline from riding had left my system I saw that most instances I perceived as imminent threats were not so...and that sometimes I remembered things out of order, or just plain wrong. Even on one of my last rides to work three weeks ago I had three incidence of a close pass, two by the same vehicle...so I thought. The video showed one close-ish pass, one not-even-close pass and a third incident that never happened. And not only were the vehicles not similar, the vehicle from the first pass was also different than what I remembered, just 25 minutes before.

But using video even further, I began reviewing "threatening" incidents and trying to learn what I could have done differently. In many cases just by slowing, or waiting myself, I could have avoided uncomfortable situations. I also had a chance to study where possible "outs" were in case of emergency. You should always be looking for "outs" or places to bail from traffic, whether it's a driveway, a low curb, a shoulder, a median, whatever.

Even with decades of bike commuting behind me there are still moments where imminent disaster suddenly flashes before you and there is that sharp bitter shot of adrenaline that fills your mouth and shocks your circulatory system...I HATE that, and want to avoid it at all costs.

On the other hand, there are adrenaline junkies who thrive on danger and peril.

I, and I suspect you, are not among them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.