Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

should I change lubes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

should I change lubes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 06:36 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
should I change lubes?

been pretty happy with rock and role lube yellow in the summer blue in the winter. my commuters chain will dry while at work where I lube the chain. it keeps thy drivetrain clean and I only need to wipe the chain each time I Lupe and the jockey wheels. the problem is its portland and sometimes we have rain for days. my shop where I keep the bikes the bikes can stay wet for days. my commuter its not a issue as I ride it every day and the chain can dry to lube it. but our tandem the chain can rust sitting there wet for a couple of days and I don't know how well the rock and roll works if the chain is wet the nI apply it. I was using finish line wet the nI first got my commuter it was really messy. Any ideas pan a more suitable lube for such wet conditions?
Old 01-03-21, 06:42 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Learn the art of waxing. I currently live on the coast and until I started waxing the salty sea air was eating up my chains. It is much better with rain and water in general than most lubes that run off. Good luck
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 01-03-21, 06:44 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Bigbus
Learn the art of waxing. I currently live on the coast and until I started waxing the salty sea air was eating up my chains. It is much better with rain and water in general than most lubes that run off. Good luck
thats too much work and on a tandem a real pain. I wanted to try some of the liquid wax lubes but they take overnight drying and thats not usually possible. the chain may be wet or it is dark when we are done riding.
Old 01-03-21, 06:59 PM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Chain-L. Home Page Chain-L High Mileage Bicycle Chain Lubricant
Likes For dscheidt:
Old 01-03-21, 07:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
PTFE in Rock 'n' Roll lubes, Park CL-1, etc., is remarkably tenacious stuff. And Rock 'n' Roll lubes attract less grit and grime than others I've tried. I'd just keep using the RnR lubes, maybe apply a few drops more often. We don't get much rain here and I avoid riding in rain, but so far applying about 6-10 droplets with a needle dropper once a week, randomly around the chain, has been enough with RnR Gold.

Even after wiping down the external chain links with mineral spirits, alcohol, etc., until the oil from RnR Gold is mostly gone, the PTFE still leaves a slick coating.

My errand hybrid bike still uses Park CL-1 and it's been drenched in rain and puddles. So far I've never managed to completely wash out that lube. Besides the PTFE, the Park CL-1 tends to semi-dry and remain tacky, reminiscent of motorcycle chain lubes. But it does attract more grit and grime than the RnR Gold and Absolute Dry.
Old 01-03-21, 08:09 PM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
NFS(NixFrixShun) Ultimate lube, I was using Chain-L, still have some but switched to NFS.

​​​​​​NixFrixShun Bicycle Speed Shop

Last edited by calstar; 01-03-21 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-03-21, 08:18 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The 'art of waxing a chain'? Please. It's hardly an art form. If I were the OP and really wanted to try something else it would be ChainL.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-03-21, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Good another lube thread. I don't remember having one in a while. Do whatever as long as it is some sort of actual lubricant you are probably doing well. My favorite is Finish Line Ceramic Wax Lube but who knows what is best. Maybe Chain-L no.5 or NFS or Silca Super Secret is better maybe not? Those who use it probably swear by it, those who don't probably swear by something else. I like what I use it seems to keep things clean and quiet but again maybe something is better really don't know if I care enough to find out.

As far as waxing a chain, you clean it really well, then drop it in some melted wax (use an old crock pot), then take it out (use an old wire hanger) and let it dry. Then of course install it on the bike. Probably some good videos out there to help out as well.
Old 01-03-21, 09:32 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Good another lube thread. I don't remember having one in a while. Do whatever as long as it is some sort of actual lubricant you are probably doing well. My favorite is Finish Line Ceramic Wax Lube but who knows what is best. Maybe Chain-L no.5 or NFS or Silca Super Secret is better maybe not? Those who use it probably swear by it, those who don't probably swear by something else. I like what I use it seems to keep things clean and quiet but again maybe something is better really don't know if I care enough to find out.

As far as waxing a chain, you clean it really well, then drop it in some melted wax (use an old crock pot), then take it out (use an old wire hanger) and let it dry. Then of course install it on the bike. Probably some good videos out there to help out as well.
no I am not after a regular lube thread. I have a weird situation where my chain stays wet for days. it tends to rust a bit though when I put rock and roll on again it wipes off. I usually lube the chain before a ride because it can be dark when we get back or the chain may be wet. so I am looking for advice.
taking two chains off a tandem is a fair amount of work. I may have to loosen the bottom bracket and rotate it to get the chain tension loose enough to take it off. so removing a chain to wax it is way too much effort. I am not trying to find the magic lube just an idea what would work. I do have a bottle of muck off but I had not used it as it wants overnight to dry. thats then and part.
Old 01-04-21, 07:17 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
my shop where I keep the bikes the bikes can stay wet for days.
In what way does the shop keep them 'wet'? Is it open sided or does it lack sufficient ventilation? I was just wondering whether there was a way of storing them so they dry quicker?
Old 01-04-21, 08:13 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Geepig
In what way does the shop keep them 'wet'? Is it open sided or does it lack sufficient ventilation? I was just wondering whether there was a way of storing them so they dry quicker?
it is a stand alone garage. but when it is raining outside for days and humidity is 100% nothing out there dries.
Old 01-04-21, 08:15 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Do you know about those cheap vacuum cleaners you can buy from hardware stores that can also function as dust blowers?

When the motor has heated up real good, it will give you a powerful jet of hot air. Pretty sure, it will dry up your chain in a jiffy if you backpedal the chain over that jet.

You may need to have a towel behind the chain to catch all the muck blown off the chain by the jet.
that may be an idea. this is the first year with a tandem and a bike that does not get ridden every day because it gets dark and rains so much right now.
Old 01-04-21, 08:23 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
In Portland use wet lube. It's not messy, you are not applying correctly and you are not wiping it down correctly.
FInishline and Chain-L are both very good products.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 01-04-21, 08:30 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by trailangel
In Portland use wet lube. It's not messy, you are not applying correctly and you are not wiping it down correctly.
FInishline and Chain-L are both very good products.
when I mean messy it attracts dirt. I used welting on my first chain. that was all rain but on my commuter its easy to relate as needed so the rock and roll works well. I had to clean the whole drivetrain with the finish line. but with such wet conditions it may be needed.
Old 01-04-21, 08:37 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I think you are putting too much on. I notice in Oregon the cement on the roadways is different.... maybe it's coming off as sand on your roads and sticking to your bike.
Old 01-04-21, 08:43 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by trailangel
I think you are putting too much on. I notice in Oregon the cement on the roadways is different.... maybe it's coming off as sand on your roads and sticking to your bike.
I wipe it off well. but riding in the rain really picks up a lot of crap off the roads. the tandem seems to get dirtier chains then my commuter does even with just rock and roll in the summer I get more gunk on the jockey wheels. not a huge amount but some. I have a new bottle of muck off I will try. if we want to ride then we need to ride in the rain. it rained Thursday Friday and Saturday. with one nice day yesterday. so two rain rides then one nice day.
Old 01-04-21, 09:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Set a box fan nearby on low when it's wet. The constant air circulation will dry it quickly. And if you cycling shoes are wet, put them there too. They'll be dry in a short time. Even shorter time if you can remove the insoles.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-04-21, 10:39 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Set a box fan nearby on low when it's wet. The constant air circulation will dry it quickly. And if you cycling shoes are wet, put them there too. They'll be dry in a short time. Even shorter time if you can remove the insoles.
no power and blowing around 100% humility air wont do much. here is what my chain on my commuter looks like this morning after a rain ride and with rock and roll.

Old 01-04-21, 10:52 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Chainsaw bar oil diluted with mineral spirits.
Likes For davidad:
Old 01-04-21, 11:09 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
no power and blowing around 100% humility air wont do much. here is what my chain on my commuter looks like this morning after a rain ride and with rock and roll.

That looks pretty darn clean. just wipe off with rag and call it good.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 01-04-21, 12:07 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Bigbus
That looks pretty darn clean. just wipe off with rag and call it good.
ya but the tandem just does not dry out if it has been raining for days. plus the chain never stays that clean on it for some reason. but I may just hit it with my cordless leaf blower. I hate to switch lubes because it stays so clean. but if I ride in the rain I have to reapply it.,
Old 01-04-21, 12:44 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
I hate to switch lubes because it stays so clean. but if I ride in the rain I have to reapply it.,
Which do you hate more, a dirty chain that needs to be wiped off every couple days or a rusty chain?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-04-21, 01:07 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
I have a weird situation where my chain stays wet for days. it tends to rust a bit though when I put rock and roll on again it wipes off. I usually lube the chain before a ride because it can be dark when we get back or the chain may be wet. so I am looking for advice.
Have you considered Wippermann Sx chains (stainless/nickel)?
Old 01-04-21, 02:02 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Do you know about those cheap vacuum cleaners you can buy from hardware stores that can also function as dust blowers?

When the motor has heated up real good, it will give you a powerful jet of hot air. Pretty sure, it will dry up your chain in a jiffy if you backpedal the chain over that jet.
An even cheaper, and hotter, alternative is a cheap hair dryer.
Old 01-04-21, 02:11 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by gauvins
Have you considered Wippermann Sx chains (stainless/nickel)?
Humm may be an idea. I wonder how it would do with the extra torque on my mid drive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.