Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me finish the Ochsner - What color for the cockpit

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 04:09 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts

I really want to finish this one today or tomorrow at the latest. When I got it the plan was to swap in silver wheels, silver seatpost, and silver stem. Then I'd finish it off with white housing cables, saddle and bar tape. But then I decided I really liked the dark, semi aero Campagnolo rims so I bought a black NItto Pearl stem to match the Nitto seatpost I had and then added the Some HWY One bars I had. Now I just can't visualize the rest. Part of the reason I went against the white also is that the decals are either yellowed or where originally more a cream color than white. I felt like the white cockpit would make the decals really look dingy.

So without spending anymore money I'd like to hear opinions on the following options. Bear in mind I only have enough housing on hand in white or black. I'm about a foot short on what red I have or that would be an option.

So do I leave this saddle, use black housing and then black bar tape? Or this combo with either red or white bar tape?

I could also put on a white saddle, white housing , and white bar tape anyway.

Then to throw another idea out. I have a brown Brooks Swift saddle that I could pair with some Fizik Brown bar tape I have. That would match up well to the dark brown sidewalls on the tires. But then would black or white housing even look good with these?

Anyway, here's how it's sitting right now as I keep staring at it and trying to decide. I really want to get this going so I can take it out. Got it last fall and haven't done any proper riding on it.

Looks like I need to level at saddle a bit....
Old 03-19-21, 04:17 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Black looks good, but I think a white bar tape, housing, and saddle combo would really class it up. White takes a bit of maintenance to keep clean. I use the Fizik bar tape because it cleans up pretty easily.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 03-19-21, 04:18 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Also, how do you like the Fabric saddle? I just ordered one in white.
Old 03-19-21, 04:21 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
White saddle and bar tape... but it'd be improved a lot with black cranks. Is that an option? Great looking bike.
Old 03-19-21, 04:24 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Black saddle and hoods, white bar tape, black or red finishing tape. Black housing.
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 03-19-21, 04:34 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by krakhaus
Also, how do you like the Fabric saddle? I just ordered one in white.
I like the flat version of them. I tried a Shallow one and could not get comfortable.
Old 03-19-21, 05:48 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Black saddle and hoods, white bar tape, black or red finishing tape. Black housing.
This is mainly were my thoughts are going also.
Old 03-19-21, 05:55 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
White saddle and bar tape... but it'd be improved a lot with black cranks. Is that an option? Great looking bike.
NO!! Don't even put such a thought in my head!

LOL, I actually considered that when I decided on the other black stuff and I remember seeing some of those black V.O. drillium cranks on sale. But when I looked a month or two ago I couldn't find any. Whew.
Old 03-19-21, 06:07 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
How about a black perforated bar tape with red showing through the openings? I know such tape exists, but I don't have any suggestions as to which would be a good choice...
Old 03-19-21, 06:37 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
How about a black perforated bar tape with red showing through the openings? I know such tape exists, but I don't have any suggestions as to which would be a good choice...
Actually that's what it came to me with, just not a very good wrap job and on some crazy sized bars.

Look at the drops on these!

I don't know what brand but there's no real give to this tape.

With the rough chipseal I ride daily I prefer cork or synthetic cork under my hands.
Old 03-19-21, 06:44 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
Don't worry about the crank, cuz then you'd notice the brake calipers, then the shifters...and on.

Is that the HWY1 bar?
Old 03-19-21, 07:51 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
jamesdak , the Ochsner is looking really good. IMO, a good quality tape, black with some kind of red design would look real good. When you say your are a foot short for red housing, is that for both brake and gear cables? I would take a look at using red for one and black for the other. I really want to know what those tires are. I cannot tell from the picture. I think they would look great on my Ochsner, a powder coating called Illusion Rootbeer. It's a sort of sparkly reddish brown, depending on the light. I know you are looking forward to getting in some miles on yours. They really are a nice ride. Please come back with a post ride report and picture.
Old 03-19-21, 09:34 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Don't worry about the crank, cuz then you'd notice the brake calipers, then the shifters...and on.

Is that the HWY1 bar?
Yep, it's a Soma bar.
Old 03-19-21, 09:37 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by delbiker1
jamesdak , the Ochsner is looking really good. IMO, a good quality tape, black with some kind of red design would look real good. When you say your are a foot short for red housing, is that for both brake and gear cables? I would take a look at using red for one and black for the other. I really want to know what those tires are. I cannot tell from the picture. I think they would look great on my Ochsner, a powder coating called Illusion Rootbeer. It's a sort of sparkly reddish brown, depending on the light. I know you are looking forward to getting in some miles on yours. They really are a nice ride. Please come back with a post ride report and picture.
Short for the brakes. I've got enough for the rear but the other section I have is too short for the front brake. I also have plenty of red shifter cable.

The tires are Continental Gran Prix Classics. I really dig the dark sidewalls of them.
Old 03-20-21, 06:13 PM
jamesdak 

Ok, other than minor adjustments and such I think it's done. Took me forever, I think this is the last bike I work on myself. I just cannot stay focused anymore. Where's the wrench, the pedals I just pulled out, my glasses, dang it, the scissors were just here. I am so scattered brain....One more concussion and I'll be drooling in my cereal.......

Anyway, I think it looks pretty good. Had some problems with one of the Dura Ace brake levers so I put these 105 ones on instead. No test ride on it though. It was mid 60's yesterday so of course it was raining and snow today. Gotta love Utah!

Finished at 20 lbs 6 ozs as in the pics below:

Not sure yet about the saddle yet.

This is how I finished off the tape tying in all three main colors.

Last edited by jamesdak; 03-20-21 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-20-21, 07:02 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

White saddle might be the way to go after all, though it looks damn sexy as it is. Red cable ends are a nice touch.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 03-20-21 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-21-21, 10:47 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
White saddle might be the way to go after all, though it looks damn sexy as it is. Red cable ends are a nice touch.
Actually, you were right with your first comments. I threw on one of my Fizik Kurve saddles and in my book it looks better.

Now as I got this one before deciding I had to downsize this one will probably wind up on the chopping block this summer. Then I'll keep this saddle as it's one of my favorites and give the buyer a choice over the black one or a brand new white Selle Italia.

If it warms up above 40 today I'll probably take this out on a test ride.

Think this is what I'm going to settle on.

Saddle I originally got to go on it.

The saddle change dropped off two more ozs, now it's 20 lbs 4 ozs. This ol beast is just one modern wheelset away from being a 19 1/2 lb bike. Pretty respectable for steel......not that it really matters, LOL!
Old 03-21-21, 07:46 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

That looks sweet. And fast. I look forward to not being able to afford it if you list it here this summer.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 03-27-21, 04:33 PM
jamesdak 

Well took it out this afternoon just for a little shakedown around the neighborhood. Had just gotten done doing a cold and windy 25 miles on the De Rosa and promptly swapped the bikes and took this one. Too short for any real opinion on this but I'll say that even after experience 25 miles on a wonderful De Rosa this Ochsner did not feel like a let down at all. In fact it felt pretty good under me. Ran it up to 20 mph for about 1/2 mile and all felt fine. Only did about 2 miles on it. Tomorrow plan is to take four of the "new to me" rides out on the same 6 mile route. See which one I like best.
Old 03-27-21, 07:11 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,902 Times in 1,137 Posts
James,
As a Royal build I would expect nothing less than a great feel in the ride. Othon took a lot of pride in the Swiss brand and followed through with this bike. I have enjoyed all three that I have owned, but getting older and shorter, has forced me to get a new smaller frame for the next one. Smiles, MH
Old 04-04-21, 11:32 AM
jamesdak 

Sooo.....in the pursuit of downsizing the collection I've snapped a bunch of new shots of this as I get ready to post it locally. Thought I'd share them here to show where the bike is right now. If enough other ones clear out I'll keep this and continue upgrading it as I had planned.

Looks pretty good with those tires on it.

Replacement pulleys have a nice red center.

Was going to replace this crank but then found out it's a quite good one

Shimano 600 indexing shifters. Previous owner got heavy-handed with the headset, sad.

The new Nitto Seatpost

New Pearl Stem

Good Shimano 600 Tricolor hubs back and front

The "aero" version of these rims.

Yeah, that saddle will be replaced with a different one if I sell it. I have a new one ready for it.

I like the details on the bars, nice to look at.
Old 04-04-21, 11:35 AM
jamesdak 

And a few more:

The original grey 600 levers were pretty tore up.

Dura Ace brakes, oh yeah!

Decals are in good shape but I wonder if they were originally white vs the cream color now.

I wish I could capture the fine metallic flake in the paint.

Swiss-made

This will go on it if this one does go.
Old 04-04-21, 12:38 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
jamesdak , the usual fantastic job. Have you been able to put any real miles on it? By the way, I am glad you appear to be back on a more even keel. and thanks for the reply.
Old 04-05-21, 06:02 PM
jamesdak 

Well, dang.....I feeling more and more like a bike flipper these days. Listed this locally Saturday and a young couple just came and got it. Birthday present for the wife and she seemed to really like it. In an odd way though maybe this is what my soul needs. Feels so good to have someone truly appreciate these old bikes I play around with.

Getting closer to a more manageable number or bikes and finally almost broke even on one.....almost.

I'm just three sales away from having a rack for all the bikes I do believe. Well....four actually because sometime this year that Guv'nor will be rolling in.
Old 04-05-21, 06:03 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by delbiker1
jamesdak , the usual fantastic job. Have you been able to put any real miles on it? By the way, I am glad you appear to be back on a more even keel. and thanks for the reply.
Just the little 5 mile shakedown ride Saturday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.