Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tarmac SL7 Cockpit question?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-21, 06:58 AM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Recently picked up a 'new to me' Tarmac SL7 Pro w/SRAM Force Etap 1x12. 54cm. I am 5'-10" and I have only ever ridden 54cm bikes. Ride about 100-150 miles/week. Flat terrain.
Absolutely love the bike. However it feels a little long. The Aerofly bars swoop forward a couple cm, and the Sram hoods are for sure a little more out front then the Shimano hoods I had been used to. Currently the stock 100mm stem, and the stock 20mm offset seat post. I have the saddle a little forward of center but not much.
I am thinking about shortening the cockpit a little. Need some opinions... Would I be smarter to get a shorter stem- 90mm, or go with a zero offset seat post rather than the stock 20mm offset? Or is it an either or? The shorter stem pulls my arms back and the seatpost pulls my body forward.
The bike fit option i on the table too but not there yet. Thanks.
Old 03-28-21, 07:25 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I'd get your seat position sorted out first with the seatpost (or fore/aft placement of the saddle rails). If it's correct, then only the stem/bars would be changed.
Old 03-28-21, 08:13 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
Recently picked up a 'new to me' Tarmac SL7 Pro w/SRAM Force Etap 1x12. 54cm. I am 5'-10" and I have only ever ridden 54cm bikes. Ride about 100-150 miles/week. Flat terrain.
Absolutely love the bike. However it feels a little long. The Aerofly bars swoop forward a couple cm, and the Sram hoods are for sure a little more out front then the Shimano hoods I had been used to. Currently the stock 100mm stem, and the stock 20mm offset seat post. I have the saddle a little forward of center but not much.
I am thinking about shortening the cockpit a little. Need some opinions... Would I be smarter to get a shorter stem- 90mm, or go with a zero offset seat post rather than the stock 20mm offset? Or is it an either or? The shorter stem pulls my arms back and the seatpost pulls my body forward.
The bike fit option i on the table too but not there yet. Thanks.
The bike fit option should ALWAYS first on your list. Put it back on top

Your body will thank me later.
Old 03-29-21, 06:46 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Saddle should be set based on your fit and position relative to the bottom bracket. You do not move the saddle to adjust reach.

If you need shorter reach, try a shorter stem, or flip your stem up.
Old 03-29-21, 08:34 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Saddle should be set based on your fit and position relative to the bottom bracket. You do not move the saddle to adjust reach.

If you need shorter reach, try a shorter stem, or flip your stem up.
Hello knee pain
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-29-21, 10:17 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
The general recommendation for reach after the saddle is correct in relation to the BB is seated the bars should line up with the front axle while holding the hoods. That is just a general starting point so as a sanity check this is where I start. The body left enough time will adjust as necessary to just about anything so it my be you are tweaked. But in a good way.