Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Hip pain

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 10:33 PM
Mosman12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hip pain

Hello! I noticed a pain in me left hip. It been for a while now maybe a month, it’s a full pain and happens at certain movements. Can anyone elaborate what causes hip pain (wrong fit)?
Old 05-25-21, 10:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Certain movements? Like every time your leg goes up and down on the pedals? Little more detail on that might help. There might be hundreds of things we could just randomly tell that cause a "full pain" whatever that means.

Could be saddle height. How did you set your saddle height? Have your tried changing it?

Do you push hard on the pedals? Though that tends to be felt in the knees more, but I've at times had some upper thigh and hip pains of a muscular nature from pedaling hard gears for a long time.
Old 05-26-21, 04:26 PM
Mosman12

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Certain movements? Like every time your leg goes up and down on the pedals? Little more detail on that might help. There might be hundreds of things we could just randomly tell that cause a "full pain" whatever that means.

Could be saddle height. How did you set your saddle height? Have your tried changing it?

Do you push hard on the pedals? Though that tends to be felt in the knees more, but I've at times had some upper thigh and hip pains of a muscular nature from pedaling hard gears for a long time.
ok I didn’t make it clear.

my saddle height is at 73.5 cm and my inseam is 81.5
I changed the saddle and waiting to try it

When I am on the bike there is no pain, I don’t pedal hard with my left leg. My left leg is the weaker and it is more like the helper leg.

the pain is there most of the time when I leave the bike, in certain movements, when I sit cross my legs it increases dramatically. Certain moves but even without moving its there but very dull. Can’t pin point it yet
Old 05-27-21, 09:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If this is a road bike, then I'd say your saddle is way too low. Unless you are measuring to the BB center. IMO, it makes it easier talking to others if the measurement is to the pedal when furthest away from the saddle. 5mm of crank arm difference is a big deal for some, so measuring to the pedal eliminates that.

Even if it is to the pedal, I think it's still too low. If that is to the pedal, then it might be a tad high.

What type bike is this and what type cycling do you do? Are you a leisurely rider or hard and intense?

Last edited by Iride01; 05-27-21 at 09:50 AM. Reason: ooops. bad math on my part. didn't convert mm to cm when subtracting from cm.
Old 05-30-21, 03:00 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I'm not an MD, but I can make some guesses based on my own hip pain: arthritis, bursitis. I could say more, but no matter what anyone here says, you probably need to consult an MD or DO to get a valid diagnosis.
Old 05-30-21, 03:02 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
My guess arthritis. I just had my left hip replaced and that was my problem. Riding it was fine but after I got off I had pain.
Old 06-02-21, 05:45 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Mosman12
... the pain is there most of the time when I leave the bike, in certain movements, when I sit cross my legs it increases dramatically. Certain moves but even without moving its there but very dull. Can’t pin point it yet
Hm.

Something I've dealt with for decades is muscle injuries in upper leg/groin area on one side. Unless I'm very flexible with the hip flexors, groin, hamstring and glute muscles, I can find that seemingly-modest activities will result in tightening-up of those muscles to the point I experience mild aches (even pain) when crossing my legs, attempting to stabilize my hips a certain way while sitting, etc. Unless I'm quite flexible in all of those muscles, too, I find it difficult to improve strength on many of them.

Might evaluate your flexibility in all of your hip and leg area muscles. It's possible you have some muscles in the area that are tight to the point of becoming strained during riding, such that you find aches with certain motions following your cycling activity.

No idea if this is it. But it's certainly something to look into as a solid possibility.
Old 06-02-21, 12:04 PM
Mosman12

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If this is a road bike, then I'd say your saddle is way too low. Unless you are measuring to the BB center. IMO, it makes it easier talking to others if the measurement is to the pedal when furthest away from the saddle. 5mm of crank arm difference is a big deal for some, so measuring to the pedal eliminates that.

Even if it is to the pedal, I think it's still too low. If that is to the pedal, then it might be a tad high.

What type bike is this and what type cycling do you do? Are you a leisurely rider or hard and intense?
it’s a Giant contend AR1 and the measurement of 73.5 from saddle top along the seat tube to center bb. Measurement to the top of the paddle from saddle top is 88.5 cm and my cranks are 165mm. I wouldn’t consider myself a leisure rider or an aggressive one, I’d say more in the middle, fitness/ endurance
Old 06-02-21, 12:08 PM
Mosman12

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Hm.

Something I've dealt with for decades is muscle injuries in upper leg/groin area on one side. Unless I'm very flexible with the hip flexors, groin, hamstring and glute muscles, I can find that seemingly-modest activities will result in tightening-up of those muscles to the point I experience mild aches (even pain) when crossing my legs, attempting to stabilize my hips a certain way while sitting, etc. Unless I'm quite flexible in all of those muscles, too, I find it difficult to improve strength on many of them.

Might evaluate your flexibility in all of your hip and leg area muscles. It's possible you have some muscles in the area that are tight to the point of becoming strained during riding, such that you find aches with certain motions following your cycling activity.

No idea if this is it. But it's certainly something to look into as a solid possibility.
thay definitely shed some light in an area I was suspecting.

actually the pain is in the left hip on the outside not anywhere near the groin. Like if I sit in the car for an hour driving and get out I feel so much pain but when walking, no pain at all.
Likes For Mosman12:
Old 06-02-21, 12:09 PM
Mosman12

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Double post , sorry
Old 06-02-21, 12:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

With an inseam of 81.5, Your saddle is right on the old rule of thumb of 109% of your inseam. However rules of thumb or adages are just a starting place to use for a first attempt. So that might still be too high for you. If you aren't a toe dipper, then you might be rocking your hips a lot.

I find I'm happier on rides with something more than 106% but less than 109%. My two current bikes are close to each other but still a cm different. Partly I think because one has me more upright and the other more aero.
Old 06-10-21, 10:37 AM
2bridges1bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mosman12
ok I didn’t make it clear.

my saddle height is at 73.5 cm and my inseam is 81.5
I changed the saddle and waiting to try it

When I am on the bike there is no pain, I don’t pedal hard with my left leg. My left leg is the weaker and it is more like the helper leg.

the pain is there most of the time when I leave the bike, in certain movements, when I sit cross my legs it increases dramatically. Certain moves but even without moving its there but very dull. Can’t pin point it yet
It’s always bad to give medical advice over the internet, and I am not doctor, but this sounds like me a few years ago. Went to orthopedist and got an mri, had a hip labral tear, which is a tear in the cartilage of the hip socket joint. The only true treatment for this type of thing is surgery. You should go see a Doctor.