Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava- anybody else find it creepy/intrusive?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-01-21, 12:04 PM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts

Just 'signed up' at Strava a couple of weeks ago. I 'had to do it' to see a ride a friend had done.

Does anybody except me find it 'creepy' when Strava announces:

Your Friends Are On Strava

And then they list people I do know......
Exactly how do they know that info?
It's the same reason I don't like FaceBook.
Too old, I guess..still value my privacy and 'have issues' with surveillance capitalism.
Likes For VicBC_Biker:
Old 06-01-21, 01:00 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Presumably at some point you gave it access to your Facebook profile or some other list of contacts.
Old 06-01-21, 01:00 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
Just 'signed up' at Strava a couple of weeks ago. I 'had to do it' to see a ride a friend had done.

Too old, I guess..still value my privacy and 'have issues' with surveillance capitalism.
i would assume strava knows becasue you are either following them or they you.
Old 06-01-21, 01:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

I find it no more or less creepy than all the other social network platform apps that do the same thing.
Old 06-01-21, 01:23 PM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by guachi
Presumably at some point you gave it access to your Facebook profile or some other list of contacts.
My FaceBook profile is as anonymous as possible - email is about the only info they have been given (knowingly) by me. I have zero 'friends' on Facebook, and never use Facebook to 'Sign In' to other sites.

I guess I'm wondering whether Strava/FaceBook are harvesting email address books or email contacts??
Old 06-01-21, 02:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts

I don't find 'anything creepy' about it. It's how 'social media sites' operate. It helps put the 'social' into it. If you don't like it, I'm guessing you can 'deny Strava access' to your 'contacts.'
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-01-21, 02:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Is this thread a pitch for the redux of Encino Man? “Caveman thaws from block of ice to discover bizarre new world… He’s proof evolution is not an exact science.”
Old 06-01-21, 02:20 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Old 06-01-21, 02:28 PM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by Koyote
If you don't like it, I'm guessing you can 'deny Strava access' to your 'contacts.'
How did Strava 'get' those 'contacts' ? And I don't believe that even if I could 'deny' Strava access, that it would stop them from grabbing the data anyway.
Old 06-01-21, 02:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
There are a bunch of privacy and notification options. Takes awhile to sort through them. Or just don't use it....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-01-21, 02:35 PM
VicBC_Biker

Here's a 'real world' analogy:
You go into a bike shop for the first time. You don't know anybody there. When they are getting the invoice ready, they ask for your phone number.
As soon as you give it to them, they start reciting a list of your friends from the past 20 years, and showing you their pictures.

Would that be 'normal'? 'welcome'?

I wouldn't be comfortable in a place where my name and address was displayed on a large roadside screen if I crossed against the amber light, but that happens, too.....

Anyway, I didn't think Strava advertised itself as a 'social media' site.

Would folks here be happy if BikeForum harvested their email contacts (and sold them)?
Likes For VicBC_Biker:
Old 06-01-21, 02:37 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
If you really didn't follow anyone on Strava, then you need to do a better job managing cookies on your browser. I imagine Facebook will sell anything they know about you. Between google and facebook, they are very good at figuring out your contacts. Are you an android user?
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-01-21, 02:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
How did Strava 'get' those 'contacts' ? And I don't believe that even if I could 'deny' Strava access, that it would stop them from grabbing the data anyway.
I can’t ‘answer’ those ‘questions.’ But I’ll bet Strava ‘has’ a page with that ‘info.’

Or perhaps Strava is ‘not’ for you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-01-21, 02:44 PM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
There are a bunch of privacy and notification options. Takes awhile to sort through them. Or just don't use it....
Do you mean at:
https://www.strava.com/settings/privacy

I don't see a setting for "Don't allow Strava to harvest your personal data from your computer and sell it without informing you."

And I certainly didn't see a warning when I was forced to 'Register' at Strava before I could open the link a friend sent me.

It would be 'bad for business' if Strava let users know what they were doing with their data.

The old adage is true: "If you aren't paying for an online product, you are the product". Except that now, even paying probably (definitely) doesn't insure your privacy.

In a culture where millions of people pay to have monitoring microphones in their homes, I'm a definite 'outlier'.

I'll quit ranting on this topic, for now!
Likes For VicBC_Biker:
Old 06-01-21, 03:12 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
George Orwell would be shocked at the extent to which modern people surveil themselves and willfully consent to giving up their privacy.

All this to simply because so many people have strong need to flex in sight of an audience and gain affirmation for their efforts.
Old 06-01-21, 04:23 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
On the phone app go to Settings .. Contacts .. and disable the "Access to contacts" there. That will stop them harvesting your contacts.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 06-01-21, 04:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Here's a 'real world' analogy:
You go into a bike shop for the first time. You don't know anybody there. When they are getting the invoice ready, they ask for your phone number.
As soon as you give it to them, they start reciting a list of your friends from the past 20 years, and showing you their pictures.
Would that be 'normal'? 'welcome'?
I wouldn't be comfortable in a place where my name and address was displayed on a large roadside screen if I crossed against the amber light, but that happens, too.....
Anyway, I didn't think Strava advertised itself as a 'social media' site.
Would folks here be happy if BikeForum harvested their email contacts (and sold them)?
worse could be; You walk into the random lbs to go look & potentially buy a new bicycle. The clerk has on the counter a tube, some random hardware, & an invoice. You walk up to them to ask if they could assist you, but before you could ask, they hand you that invoice to which is for the tube & hardware to repair your broken bicycle at home since the lbs calculated your thoughts before you could & figured out that you couldn't see paying the price tag for the bicycle that you were about to look at & want after asking for assistance.
Old 06-01-21, 05:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Or perhaps Strava is ‘not’ for you.
Yep, 'end of thread.'
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-01-21, 05:16 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Do you mean at:
https://www.strava.com/settings/privacy

I don't see a setting for "Don't allow Strava to harvest your personal data from your computer and sell it without informing you."
It likely occurred when you initially registered. Lots of sites make it 'easy' to register by using your credentials from Facebook, Google or Apple. This eliminates the need to create an email based account (and remember another password) but it also generally comes with the price of sharing your contacts. If you sign up with an email address they shouldn't have access to your contacts.
Old 06-01-21, 05:17 PM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
On the phone app go to Settings .. Contacts .. and disable the "Access to contacts" there. That will stop them harvesting your contacts.
??
Phone- that thing on the wall? I don't think it has apps...
Or the little one I keep charged up 'for emergencies'? It's around here someplace...lemme see....
Old 06-01-21, 05:18 PM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by gregf83
If you sign up with an email address they shouldn't have access to your contacts.
Correct.
Likes For VicBC_Biker:
Old 06-01-21, 07:11 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
They get your email address from friends' contacts and friends lists. If you value your privacy, don't use the same email address or phone number that you give those who don't care if Strava or other online platforms access their data.
Likes For surak:
Old 06-01-21, 07:12 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Those people that feel this current trend of apps being used for everything is not a big deal seem fully ignorant of the power and capabilities corporations gain from data harvesting. The info they gain from having people use their apps exponentially increases their abilities to manipulate us and serves to make it harder to create a shared reality between people. What is being sold as a connecting force is really being used as a tool for spying, controlling and dividing.

The modern use of cell phones to surveil and collect data is reshaping the world in ways that will soon not just eliminate any sense of privacy but also be able to curtail freedoms by limiting access to areas and events.
Old 06-01-21, 07:58 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
George Orwell would be shocked at the extent to which modern people surveil themselves and willfully consent to giving up their privacy.

All this to simply because so many people have strong need to flex in sight of an audience and gain affirmation for their efforts.
Yes! A I the only one without a smartphone?
Old 06-01-21, 08:26 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
My two cents, it’s an AI or machine learning routine, maybe an unsupervised learning algo. It doesn’t really need emails or contacts, per se. It looks for people on Stava doing similar things at similar times to you and suggests them based on a big data correlation.

To use your bike store analogy, you go in a buy several items over several trips. The data base for the bike store has a list of what people bought similar or correlated items and in what order. They can then use that to predict what you’ll like or buy next. Amazon and Netflix use similar algorithms for things or movies, Strava is using it for people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.