Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Summer glove suggestions

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Summer glove suggestions

Old 07-02-21, 05:09 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Summer glove suggestions

I typically don't use gloves and when I have, found that they tend to have stitching that irritates me. I'd like to try again with something fairly minimal...don't need a lot of padding, but mostly using for better grip when raining or sweaty. Any suggestion to weed through the millions of options would be helpful. Again, these are summer use primarily, so as vented as possible. Thanks!
Old 07-02-21, 05:23 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Something with no padding if you are typically a bare handed rider (as I am).
Old 07-02-21, 07:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
My favorite gloves are Supacaz SupaG. They’re unpadded and smartly constructed to be low-profile and form fitting. And, the palms are colorfast, so they don’t stain your bar tape, unlike some of the bigger brands offerings out there.

https://supacaz.com/product/supag-sh...ves-twisted-2/
Old 07-02-21, 07:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I don't like wearing gloves, either - I only wear them when it's cold - so I've worked on other ways to address the (lack of) grip problem.

Good tape is first and foremost - Bontrager Grippytack is awesome. It's got great grip without feeling gross and sticky, unlike those squeezy stress balls that invariably get coated in hair and dust. As a frame of reference, I find Grippytack to be more grippy than current Shimano hoods.

The other thing, that helps a lot, is sun sleeves. When the heat and humidity is high, I found that a lot of my hand sweat was actually arm sweat running down to my hands. The sun sleeves seem to do a better job of absorbing and then allowing the sweat to evaporate. I have adequate grip without the sun sleeves if I'm staying on the hoods or the drops, but I certainly notice the difference when I'm holding the untaped tops of my bars, which can get more slippery.
Old 07-02-21, 07:53 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Assos summer gloves are cool.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 07-02-21, 08:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I like having a colored glove for road riding because it makes any hand signals more apparent. I don't like spending a lot on gloves for cycling cuz they can take a beating & I don't treasure them. I got these work gloves at a gas station. the color is good. the leather palms offer excellent grip. however, since they are not cycling specific they don't have a cloth backside for sweat absorption. it's more of a nylon, tear resistant fabric. cloth would be an improvement

Old 07-02-21, 08:53 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts

Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-02-21, 01:12 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Assos RS Aero SF. No padding, just a palm grip surface that helps with chafing and prevents sweaty palms from slipping. Very lightweight breathable fabric elsewhere. I just got a replacement pair as my current ones are on their last leg.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 07-02-21, 11:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Giro Zero CS, if they're still available. Very thin, lightweight and breathable. Not as fragile as they look, although a seam has begun to peel apart on mine -- which I could repair if I dug out my sewing machine or just a needle and thread. Only downside for folks with beef mitts is the Zero CS are pull-on only, no Velcro strap opening, so they're pretty snug. They add a little grip and sweat control with almost no padding, just a bit of thin reinforcing fabric.

A few months ago I paid a whopping five bucks for a pair of Adidas cycling gloves that turned out to be really good. Almost as lightweight as the Giro Zero CS, but with a more conventional opening and Velcro closure. Also a big snug. I usually wear medium but large fits me best in this glove. They aren't listed on the Adidas website but are available online for around $15 and in some stores. I bought them at Ross or Marshalls, discount/closeout apparel and housewares stores.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-03-21, 06:53 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Assos summer gloves are cool.
I use these too. Really nice but so are others. Find what works for you, OP.
Old 07-05-21, 01:11 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I like minimalist full finger gloves with no padding and no velcro. I view gloves as essentially disposable and have lots of pairs on hand at any one time.

Some options I've tried:

Specialized SL Pro- probably my favorite road gloves. Very stretchy, minimalist and ultra-light. Cheap and clean looking. Downside: not very durable.
Handup Summer Gloves - I have probably five pairs of these at any given time. I use these for road, gravel, mtb etc. They're super lightweight and grippy. They have lots of ridiculous designs. They're cheap and durable. Downside: not very stretchy and can bind on your thumbs. Buy one size larger = problem solved
Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Aero - inexpensive, grippy and comfortable. Downsides: fall apart quickly, the cuff is weirdly long and they have very dated aesthetics
Supacaz SupaG Long - I really like these, but they're very similar to the Specialized at double the price.