Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Wheelsets and Clydesdales

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Wheelsets and Clydesdales

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 06:40 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisp72
rifraf...I think a new hub will be in the cards for a new wheel. I like the idea of going 36 hole but I see so many 32 hole hubs available. I guess the majority of riders can use the 32s...

I hadn't thought of getting a disk brake setup on any bicycle. I had used disk brakes on a DeKerf mountain bike and I liked the stopping power, so it might be a good idea. That raises a whole new conversation or thread... I'm not thinking of changing the frameset yet but who knows...after I take my maiden voyage I'll know more about how the current brakes work on a good sized downhill heading to the campground. I'll see what's needed and judge accordingly.
In, I think 2011, I decided to do an extensive tour.

Realising my 20+ year old bikes wheels might not be up to the journey I had in mind, I bought a Sondelux dynohub (non-disk) and a Sram dual drive.
I ordered them built from US based Wheelbuilder.com who custom built them up for me and shipped them to Australia.

Funnily enough, I got the 406 (20") extrusion of the Dyad rim for those wheels which did a great job of that trip.

Realising that my bike lacked the luggage hauling capability and an inherent inability to tow a trailer well off road, I built up my current bike, a Surly Ogre, again with Dyads, dyno-hub and IGH hub.

If I'd put more thought into the Moultons dynohub purchase at the time, I'd have gotten a disk brake version, despite the 406 wheeled Moulton utilising v-brakes only.

When I sold the Moulton, I could have had a disk braked dyno-hub to add to my Ogre, instead of having to sell the Moulton with the Sondelux wheel and start again.

I wish someone had planted in my head at the time, the possibility that I might one day sell the Moulton, and to try to implement some elements of future proofing by purchasing hubs that I might consider swapping over to any new frame I might get (albeit with larger rims/spokes).

My intention by posting was not to tell you to buy a dyno-hub or disk brake, but to consider yourself whether such a purchase might have some merit, given I found out an expensive hard way, given I didn't know enough about such matters to seriously consider the possibilities.

Edit: The saving grace for me, was that the Sondelux of the Moultons wheels would not have been as suitable as my Ogres Son28 given the lower rotation of the larger wheels and thus lesser output of Sondelux. My extended waffle, again, is less about which model of componentary and more about future proofing your componentary to add to any newer bike you end up with.

Last edited by rifraf; 04-30-20 at 06:52 AM.
Likes For rifraf:
Old 04-30-20, 06:56 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
A quick note on disc setups, everything has to be designed for it, the fork especially, the wheels, the frame for the rear brake.... its never something that you can just add on.
Just to be clear, my suggestion of a disk hub is more about the potential to add it to a newer frame/fork should they ever decide on an upgrade.
They will still have their old wheels to put back on the older frame to maybe sell, whilst putting their newer wheel/wheels on the replacement.

You don't have to add a disk, simply because you have a compatible hub.
I added a disk brake compatible dyno-hub to my Extrawheel trailer which doesn't have any brakes due to wanting to future proof any bicycle part related purchases I make.
I simply didn't add a disk.

Last edited by rifraf; 04-30-20 at 07:05 AM.
Likes For rifraf:
Old 04-30-20, 07:07 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
Just to be clear, my suggestion of a disk hub is more about the potential to add it to a newer frame/fork should they ever decide on an upgrade.
They will still have their old wheels to put back on the older frame to maybe sell, whilst putting their newer wheel/wheels on the replacement.
oh absolutely, your comments were all a very good heads up to thinking to the future.

I was just making a general statement just in case the fellow thought he could easily convert his rim brake bike to disc.
Likes For djb: