Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Six Months of Riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Six Months of Riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-21, 03:10 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Six Months of Riding

Six months ago to the day today, I (46M, married with kids, san francisco, 6’2) took my first ride on my first road bike. Today I played hooky from work in the morning to hit 3,000 miles on the bike. (not counting commutes etc)

March 26

Today, September 27

Mostly talking to myself here, a few things I’m reflecting on:
  1. I had no idea how satisfying it would be to cover ground on a road bike. My rides got progressively longer and longer, for now peaking around 80 miles in 5 hours or so. Few things in life are as enjoyable!
  2. I’ve never done anything that was so effective at burning so many calories. Despite eating more and more often, lost 15lb almost immediately. 200->185
  3. Bikes are really fun to work on, upgrade, fool around with. Mostly little changes so far, seat, stem, pedals, cranks, axle bolts, phone mount, etc. Most meaningful change has been the gearing, new front ring and rear cassette/driver. Wheels/Tires and cockpit changes next! The bike is around 750g lighter than when I brought it home, and should end up around 1,250g lighter after the next two changes.
  4. Gatorskin Hardshells are DURABLE. 3,000 mostly urban miles, no flats.
  5. GRX pads and rotors and chains are not. All replaced already.
  6. My limit without bringing hydration is two hours, or 35 miles.
  7. My limit without bringing food and/or stopping to eat is around 3 hours or 50 miles. Bonk is bad!!!
  8. With the right gearing, some experience, and a little training I don’t really NEED an ebike. My heart condition imposes a lot of limitations and I never would have been able to get into this on a normal bike. But now that I’ve done it for six months, I almost never use the motor. It’s for long (1,000+ or very steep (10%+) climbs. 57 miles and 2,700 feet this morning, zero assist. 😇 I’ve ordered a non-E road bike, but it won’t show up for months.
  9. no crashes yet, knock wood. fell over a few times due to unclip failures, resolved now with some lube on the cleats and experience. almost crashed several times, a necessary part of learning the limits of bike and rider, i think.
  10. an expensive bike fitting was well worth it!
  11. i still refuse to wear lycra.
  12. the bay area (and SF itself, especially!) is an amazing place to ride a bike. if only it wasn’t quite so windy…….
  13. bikeForums is great, lots of knowledge, although the ratio of snark/attitude to content is definitely higher than any forum i’ve participated in!
Old 09-27-21, 03:27 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Yep, it's great to discover all that, especially point #1. Something so fine about traveling so far under one's own power alone.
Likes For randallr:
Old 09-27-21, 04:02 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by randallr
Yep, it's great to discover all that, especially point #1. Something so fine about traveling so far under one's own power alone.
or in my case, 95% under my own power 😂😂😂
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-27-21, 04:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Sounds like you'll be able to ditch the motor when the new bike arrives! Kudos.
Old 09-27-21, 04:44 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Nice one!

That is one sleek looking eBike too. I didn't even notice the "motor bulge" at first.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-27-21, 05:54 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sounds like you'll be able to ditch the motor when the new bike arrives! Kudos.
i'll always keep this bike for very long rides with very big climbs! it's a really great bike for me, more the best of both worlds than the worst of both worlds
Old 09-27-21, 06:14 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Congratulations.

I will post some snark later, just to keep the tone consistent with other BF threads.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-27-21, 10:09 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
With the right gearing, some experience, and a little training I don’t really NEED an ebike. My heart condition imposes a lot of limitations and I never would have been able to get into this on a normal bike. But now that I’ve done it for six months, I almost never use the motor. It’s for long (1,000+ or very steep (10%+) climbs. 57 miles and 2,700 feet this morning, zero assist. 😇 I’ve ordered a non-E road bike, but it won’t show up for months.
You definitely don't need an ebike.

i'll always keep this bike for very long rides with very big climbs! it's a really great bike for me, more the best of both worlds than the worst of both worlds
​​​​​​​Cool. You still don't need it. Not at all.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-27-21, 10:30 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Congratulations on your new found love. Cycling really is wonderful.
Old 09-28-21, 04:21 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Six months ago to the day today, I (46M, married with kids, san francisco, 6’2) took my first ride on my first road bike. Today I played hooky from work in the morning to hit 3,000 miles on the bike. (not counting commutes etc)

March 26

Today, September 27

Mostly talking to myself here, a few things I’m reflecting on:
  1. I had no idea how satisfying it would be to cover ground on a road bike. My rides got progressively longer and longer, for now peaking around 80 miles in 5 hours or so. Few things in life are as enjoyable!
  2. I’ve never done anything that was so effective at burning so many calories. Despite eating more and more often, lost 15lb almost immediately. 200->185
  3. Bikes are really fun to work on, upgrade, fool around with. Mostly little changes so far, seat, stem, pedals, cranks, axle bolts, phone mount, etc. Most meaningful change has been the gearing, new front ring and rear cassette/driver. Wheels/Tires and cockpit changes next! The bike is around 750g lighter than when I brought it home, and should end up around 1,250g lighter after the next two changes.
  4. Gatorskin Hardshells are DURABLE. 3,000 mostly urban miles, no flats.
  5. GRX pads and rotors and chains are not. All replaced already.
  6. My limit without bringing hydration is two hours, or 35 miles.
  7. My limit without bringing food and/or stopping to eat is around 3 hours or 50 miles. Bonk is bad!!!
  8. With the right gearing, some experience, and a little training I don’t really NEED an ebike. My heart condition imposes a lot of limitations and I never would have been able to get into this on a normal bike. But now that I’ve done it for six months, I almost never use the motor. It’s for long (1,000+ or very steep (10%+) climbs. 57 miles and 2,700 feet this morning, zero assist. 😇 I’ve ordered a non-E road bike, but it won’t show up for months.
  9. no crashes yet, knock wood. fell over a few times due to unclip failures, resolved now with some lube on the cleats and experience. almost crashed several times, a necessary part of learning the limits of bike and rider, i think.
  10. an expensive bike fitting was well worth it!
  11. i still refuse to wear lycra.
  12. the bay area (and SF itself, especially!) is an amazing place to ride a bike. if only it wasn’t quite so windy…….
  13. bikeForums is great, lots of knowledge, although the ratio of snark/attitude to content is definitely higher than any forum i’ve participated in!
You made my day with your refusal to wear lycra.
Keep cycling and keep saying no to spandex overalls
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 09-28-21, 01:44 PM
rousseau

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
i still refuse to wear lycra.
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
You made my day with your refusal to wear lycra.
Keep cycling and keep saying no to spandex overalls
Is there a particular reason for not wanting to wear lycra? It's practically the first upgrade to a road bike you can make, as it feels awesome and improves the ride immeasurably in terms of comfort and performance. Why would you deny yourself for what sounds like a misguided matter of principle?
Likes For rousseau:
Old 09-28-21, 01:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
^^^ The jort posse is riding hard in this one. https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c....html:twitchy:
Old 09-28-21, 02:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10416 Post(s)
Liked 11,876 Times in 6,083 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
Is there a particular reason for not wanting to wear lycra? It's practically the first upgrade to a road bike you can make, as it feels awesome and improves the ride immeasurably in terms of comfort and performance. Why would you deny yourself for what sounds like a misguided matter of principle?
I can see not wearing lycra. I can't see making it a point of pride, any more than I make it a point of pride to wear it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-28-21, 02:40 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by genejockey
I can see not wearing lycra. I can't see making it a point of pride, any more than I make it a point of pride to wear it.
yeah, i just don’t like the way anything skin tight feels or looks. i’m totally 100% comfortable wearing what i wear, unsure what it’ll be like if/when it gets colder or rains, but for our mild climate i have no complaints yet and other than aerodynamics don’t really see any room for improvement on this one.
Old 09-28-21, 02:44 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
...and other than aerodynamics don’t really see any room for improvement on this one.
That's because you don't know what you don't know; there's a reason that the stuff exists.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-28-21, 02:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
or in my case, 95% under my own power 😂😂😂
The motor and battery are a lot of weight to carry up those steep hills, and the Gatorskins are slowing you down more than you know. So if you're doing 95% of 150% of the work, you deserve to be proud. 3k is a lot of miles in 6 months.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-28-21, 03:06 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

As for riding electric ..... no opinion. You are riding a bike with an assist, and you make good use of the assist, you are smart.
As for cycling-specific clothing---whatever.

A lot of people have image issues .... they want to identify with a group, they don't want to identify with a group---whatever. Imagine saying "I would never wear a green shirt because i am too cool to wear what those green-shirt-wearing people wear."

I wear lycra, I wear bike h=jerseys ... I prefer loose fit, but I really don't care so long as the jersey is comfortable and has pockets where I need them. After years of biking I finally tried padded shorts and found them more comfortable. Bibs are a bout six giant steps up that ladder. But .... some people will wear high-heeled shoes and complain non-stop about how they hurt, and still wear them, so I am not about to mess with whatever. There is a lot more than what the clothing actually does, involved here, and I don't do psychoanalysis for free any more.

I think your story is awesome.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-28-21, 03:15 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The motor and battery are a lot of weight to carry up those steep hills, and the Gatorskins are slowing you down more than you know. So if you're doing 95% of 150% of the work, you deserve to be proud. 3k is a lot of miles in 6 months.
yeah - i don’t really understand the physics. total weight, me and bike, is around 215lb. i test rode an aethos, total weight, me and bike, around 200lb… and it felt like WAY more than a 8% difference in hill climbing ability. way more. that, a better understanding of the gearing, and some small health progress and i’m pretty confident i’ll enjoy a non-electric bike even more for anything but the longest and hardest rides.

the rolling resistance on the gatorskin hardshells is ugly. can’t wait to try new wheels and tires, as soon as i figure out what i want. $!@?!$’ “road boost….”
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-28-21, 03:24 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's because you don't know what you don't know; there's a reason that the stuff exists.
that’s fair. it’s not like i’ve never put on such a garment, but what i wear seems completely comfortable to me, like it isn’t even there. i’m sure i’d get used to it but pockets behind the back seems less comfortable rather than more, but obviously aerodynamically superior. i wear padded “underwear” under my MTB shorts/pants, definitely wouldn’t go without that!

i’ll try some jerseys. there’s certainly a continuum from birkenstocks and shorts to pro team superhero skinsuit.
Old 09-28-21, 03:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

yeah, i just don’t like the way anything skin tight feels or looks. i’m totally 100% comfortable wearing what i wear, unsure what it’ll be like if/when it gets colder or rains, but for our mild climate i have no complaints yet and other than aerodynamics don’t really see any room for improvement on this one.
So much of where I ride (mid-Peninsula) is really windy, especially in the afternoons that the flapping noise from loose clothing bugs the crap outta me. I bought a jacket I really liked, till I wore it on a typically windy afternoon and the flapping was just too much. Luckily, I hadn't paid too much for it.

Old 09-28-21, 03:33 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by genejockey
So much of where I ride (mid-Peninsula) is really windy, especially in the afternoons that the flapping noise from loose clothing bugs the crap outta me. I bought a jacket I really liked, till I wore it on a typically windy afternoon and the flapping was just too much. Luckily, I hadn't paid too much for it.
yeah, that would seriously bug. i don’t wear anything loose enough to flap, perhaps a little high frequency flutter on a fast descent or those nasty bridge crosswinds.
Old 09-28-21, 03:58 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
With the right gearing, some experience, and a little training I don’t really NEED an ebike. My heart condition imposes a lot of limitations and I never would have been able to get into this on a normal bike. But now that I’ve done it for six months, I almost never use the motor. It’s for long (1,000+ or very steep (10%+) climbs. 57 miles and 2,700 feet this morning, zero assist. 😇 I’ve ordered a non-E road bike, but it won’t show up for months
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Cool. You still don't need it. Not at all.
I second this.

This past weekend I rode 103 miles with 6,200' of climbing (Denver Century) without an ebike, but I do also own an ebike, even though I don't NEED it, not at all.

I WANT to (not NEED to) use my ebike for utility rides such as errands and especially for commutes, so that I don't arrive at work late (ebikes are great for overcoming a stiff headwind that can really slow things down), as well as not showing up tired, or having to struggle riding home after work in the 95-100 F heat of the summer, and the ebike also lets me ride in a reasonable amount of time while my legs are still sore from the big weekend rides.

Anybody doing recreational rides of 50 miles with 1000's of feet in climbing, on their own, don't really NEED an ebike, but they sure are nice to ride. The same way nobody NEEDS a 300hp coupe to drive to work, but they sure are fun to drive.

Last edited by Riveting; 09-28-21 at 04:15 PM.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 09-28-21, 04:16 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Riveting
I second this.

Anybody doing recreational rides of 50 miles with 1000's of feet in climbing, on their own, don't really NEED an ebike, but they sure are nice to ride. The same way nobody NEEDS a 300hp coupe to drive to work, but they sure are fun to drive.
in theory that's true, in practice, with the requirement of keeping my heart rate below 130 with "normal" road bike gearing, it doesn't seem possible to do 1,000-2,000 foot climbs at anything more than 8% or so. it just takes more power than i could put out with getting my heart rate up.
Old 09-28-21, 04:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The counterpoint to 'You don't need an e-bike' would be that 2700 feet in 54 miles is not a big climbing day in the Bay Area - my Sunday ride is 55 miles and 3300 feet and I consider it 'rolling' at most because I AVOID any of the big climbs. If the OP wants to do climbs like the ones down the Peninsula, or up in Marin, and he has a heart condition that prevents him doing threshold HR for 30-45 minutes, an e-bike is probably a safer option. I don't know, I'm not a doctor, and particularly not HIS doctor.

But, yeah - after 6 months, that 54 miles is nothing to sneeze at. Kudos!

Old 09-28-21, 04:35 PM
Maelochs

Re: jerseys....I have a few quick-dri (or whatever trade name) T-shirts I bought for $5 at Walmart which work almost as well. The rear pockets are better for me .... not everyone.

As for the heart thing---I have a few friends, and myself have had heart issues. One guy's doctor says to keep his HR below 112---why get out of bed/

You are killing it. And not killing yourself. Seeme like a good combination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.