Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best route to sell high end road bike (S-Works Tarmac)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best route to sell high end road bike (S-Works Tarmac)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-21, 08:38 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
How much would you sell it for?
Old 11-21-21, 09:53 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
In 30 years it will be unridden NOS and may be the only one. Wait and sell it for double.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-22-21, 07:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
There have to be numerous people who would rather have this $15k bike than the "exact bike" they could have bought. Clearly, the OP isn't one of those people (which is fine).
That wasn't my point. It's all about opportunity cost. Not many people actually want to put $15k into a bike when they could use the cash for something else that they want more. It would be different if this was the dream bike that you would have bought had you won a $15k cash prize. But that would actually be quite a coincidence. Do you see what I mean?

It's like winning a car. If it's not the car you wanted or aspired to owning, then you would just sell it right?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-22-21, 07:24 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Please, let's remember that no buying or selling offers are allowed outside of the Marketplace.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-22-21, 08:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
You might see if there are any amateur cycling competition teams for very young adults and older teens and see if there are any in need of a good bike. Some youth and young adults really struggle to get good bikes since they don't have their careers yet to have a decent income.

Maybe ask at some of the bike shops if they know of any or check on the dreaded FB or what ever it is now.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-22-21, 08:42 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That wasn't my point. It's all about opportunity cost. Not many people actually want to put $15k into a bike when they could use the cash for something else that they want more. It would be different if this was the dream bike that you would have bought had you won a $15k cash prize.
??? He didn't put $15k into anything.

If it's such a problem winning the thing, why even take a chance?

Clearly, a $15k cash prize is more valuable but that wasn't the prize (so, it's irrelevant).

Giving a $15k bike away didn't cost Specialized $15k.

But that would actually be quite a coincidence. Do you see what I mean?
It the prize isn't what you want, don't enter the contest. You already know it's not your "dream bike".

It's like winning a car. If it's not the car you wanted or aspired to owning, then you would just sell it right?
No, not necessarily. Given that it's a free car (outside of taxes), many people might just keep it. Keeping what you win only if it's exactly what you want isn't the only option.

Cars are a different thing away since there is a well-established market for second hand ones.
​​​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-22-21 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-22-21, 08:50 AM
bvachon29

Bikes: Mongoose ATB/ Salsa Beargrease/ Orbea Occam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Hey all, thanks for the feedback thus far. To clear some things up, yes I will need to pay taxes on the bike. The bike is extremely cool but just isn't what fits my riding needs right now. Had I won the S-works epic that was in the sweepstakes, this might be a different conversation. My thought was if I'm not going to use it (although it looks really nice in my makeshift home office at the moment) why not give someone the opportunity to purchase it that would actually use it.
Likes For bvachon29:
Old 11-22-21, 09:00 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by bvachon29
Hey all, thanks for the feedback thus far. To clear some things up, yes I will need to pay taxes on the bike. The bike is extremely cool but just isn't what fits my riding needs right now. Had I won the S-works epic that was in the sweepstakes, this might be a different conversation. My thought was if I'm not going to use it (although it looks really nice in my makeshift home office at the moment) why not give someone the opportunity to purchase it that would actually use it.
Selling it is a reasonable option. The issue is that it's a PITA to do and you won't get close to $15k for it. If you can clear a significant amount over your cost (tax), then you might be doing OK. (One way of looking taking a loss on $15k but making money that you didn't have.)

As somebody suggested, ebay might be the best option.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-22-21, 09:06 AM
bvachon29

Selling it is a reasonable option. The issue is that it's a PITA to do and you won't get close to $15k for it. If you can clear a significant amount over your cost (tax), then you might be doing OK. (One way of looking taking a loss on $15k but making money that you didn't have.)

As somebody suggested, ebay might be the best option.
For sure. I got over the fact I'm not getting 15k pretty early on, as much as I'd like that to be the case. One thing I am curious about, if anyone works at a Spec dealer and is willing to share, what the dealer cost of this bike would be to use as a starting point as like it's been said, no one is probably going to pay retail for it.
Old 11-22-21, 09:20 AM
bvachon29

Originally Posted by TomM
How much would you sell it for?
PM sent.
Old 11-22-21, 09:24 AM
njkayaker

For sure. I got over the fact I'm not getting 15k pretty early on, as much as I'd like that to be the case. One thing I am curious about, if anyone works at a Spec dealer and is willing to share, what the dealer cost of this bike would be to use as a starting point as like it's been said, no one is probably going to pay retail for it.
I doubt you'll get that information. Supposedly, the markup for bikes is low. Maybe, assume it cost them $10k.

Obviously, the bike is going to be worth more to somebody looking for the "exact" bike but that person is going to be hard to connect to.

Your market is more the person who really wants a "blingy" $15k bike but can't really afford that much.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-22-21, 09:28 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Iride01
You might see if there are any amateur cycling competition teams for very young adults and older teens and see if there are any in need of a good bike. Some youth and young adults really struggle to get good bikes since they don't have their careers yet to have a decent income.

Maybe ask at some of the bike shops if they know of any or check on the dreaded FB or what ever it is now.
These people are likely to crash and trash the $15k bike. No amateur needs a $15k bike.

He should sell it instead.
Old 11-22-21, 09:43 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Put it on eBay with a Buy It Now price of $12-13,000 and it will sell very quickly.

Check out what used versions of this bike have sold for.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 11-22-21, 09:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

These people are likely to crash and trash the $15k bike. No amateur needs a $15k bike.

He should sell it instead.
I'm hoping the OP gives it away. It didn't cost them anything. Why not pass it on and make some other's day just like winning that bike must have made the OP's day.
Old 11-22-21, 09:54 AM
GhostRider62

I'm hoping the OP gives it away. It didn't cost them anything. Why not pass it on and make some other's day just like winning that bike must have made the OP's day.
Because he owes taxes on it. Depending on his tax bracket, it would be in the $3-5,000 range. So, it is not free.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 11-22-21, 09:58 AM
njkayaker

I suspect it would be kind of a curse for an amateur team (especially, if it’s kids). If the team managers had any sense, they’d sell it and put the money into something worthwhile.

The OP has to pay tax. So, it's gonna cost him something.

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-22-21 at 10:09 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-22-21, 10:24 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I certainly wouldn't give it away. Lottery winners never give their winnings away, and I suspect that if those suggesting that OP give the bike away won the lottery, they would not give the money away either. Easy to be "righteous" when it is not your money or property you want to give away.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-22-21, 10:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Because he owes taxes on it. Depending on his tax bracket, it would be in the $3-5,000 range. So, it is not free.
I suspect it would be kind of a curse for an amateur team (especially, if it’s kids). If the team managers had any sense, they’d sell it and put the money into something worthwhile.

The OP has to pay tax. So, it's gonna cost him something.
I guess I'm not as stingy as y'all. I have no idea what the OP's income and net worth is, but does everything have to have to be balanced by dollars in and dollars out? If taxes are a concern, then there are other places the bike can be donated to that will give the OP a more favorable tax position than just giving it away to just anyone.

But being like Scrooge counting every penny isn't going to make happiness.
Old 11-22-21, 10:29 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I certainly wouldn't give it away. Lottery winners never give their winnings away, and I suspect that if those suggesting that OP give the bike away won the lottery, they would not give the money away either. Easy to be "righteous" when it is not your money or property you want to give away.
Yes.

It would be different if giving it away would be useful/efficient.

If he really wanted to donate something, he should sell it to cover his tax cost and then donate the excess.

Donating the bike is like donating a Porsche to some one "in need" (it's bizarre).
Old 11-22-21, 10:30 AM
bvachon29

Anyway, I feel that this has gotten a bit off track. If anyone has some recommendations for facebook groups, other forums, shops, etc. to use as an outlet to sell or have had good luck selling through, just let me know!
Old 11-22-21, 10:35 AM
njkayaker

I guess I'm not as stingy as y'all. I have no idea what the OP's income and net worth is, but does everything have to have to be balanced by dollars in and dollars out? If taxes are a concern, then there are other places the bike can be donated to that will give the OP a more favorable tax position than just giving it away to just anyone.

But being like Scrooge counting every penny isn't going to make happiness.
The big problem is that it's a dumb thing to donate.

Your assumption that a $3000 tax bill is "counting every penny" is interesting.
Old 11-22-21, 10:37 AM
njkayaker

Anyway, I feel that this has gotten a bit off track. If anyone has some recommendations for facebook groups, other forums, shops, etc. to use as an outlet to sell or have had good luck selling through, just let me know!
Put it on ebay with a reserve** of $8500 (or whatever) and really test it.

The idea is to be able to possibly sell it for more than your minimum.

Ebay is a common place to sell bicycles.

Take care to note your ebay costs and the cost of packing and shipping it (make shipping costs extra).

With tax and shipping, the bike will end-up costing the buyer (at the reserve) of about $9,300.

People bidding for stuff are strange. You might get close to those numbers.

============

** The reserve indicates the lower limit for a winning bid. If no bids reach that number. the item doesn't sell.

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-22-21 at 10:42 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-22-21, 10:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Hey, is this one of the bikes that just got recalled?

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/Sp...Injury-Hazards
Old 11-22-21, 10:47 AM
GhostRider62

Trust me, your very best way to sell it is with a BIN on e-Bay. When a buyer does a buy it now, they have to pay immediately. If it does not sell at your price, you can lower the BIN price. Do not do a Best Offer. These have been selling for $12-13,500....lightly used.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 11-22-21, 10:49 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
best route. Sell it for half of what you think it's worth
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.