Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best route to sell high end road bike (S-Works Tarmac)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best route to sell high end road bike (S-Works Tarmac)

Old 11-22-21, 10:56 AM
bvachon29

Bikes: Mongoose ATB/ Salsa Beargrease/ Orbea Occam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Hey, is this one of the bikes that just got recalled?

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/Sp...Injury-Hazards
Sure was. The recall fix was completed when the bike was built up.
Likes For bvachon29:
Old 11-22-21, 10:57 AM
tak2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
You might try listing it on Pinkbike.com. I have found it to be covered by higher quality bike enthusiasts.
Old 11-22-21, 10:57 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
If I were the OP I would also be considering selling it. I love bikes, and high-end race bikes are super cool, but yeah... this is way more bike than I would ever need. I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather spend that cash on.

As for how to sell it - this is a bit tricky. My first stop would be to talk to local shops and also reach out to local race teams. I'm in a big city so there's more options on this front, but not everyone is in that situation. Beyond that, I would get a quote from Pro's Closet. You'll pay a premium to them, but it's the most hassle-free option. If I didn't like the price they were offering, I'd consider Ebay, but honestly unless you're willing to pay a service to list it, or you're already an Ebay power user this seems like a longshot to attract serious buyers. I definitely would avoid CL and FB Marketplace - most people will assume it's a stolen bike and respond accordingly with skepticism and/or lowball offers.

If selling the complete bike doesn't get any bites, I'd consider parting it out. This would also allow me to keep parts that would be useful for me, and sell the rest.

Someone mentioned donating it and this seems like a really good option to me as well. There are several bike co-ops in my area that run shops and fund local youth race programs. Between them and associated race teams, I would assume they could sell a bike like this and use the proceeds to fund their mission.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 11-22-21, 11:01 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Hopefully you find someone local. Dealing with selling a bike on eBay or other solutions that will require you to ship the bike is likely going to be a pain. The Pro's Closet will be foolproof but they're likely to take a healthy cut.

I recommend just asking local cycling groups. This is a very desirable bike in a common size and it's an insane seller's market right now. I think you'll find that someone local will happily take it off your hands for close the retail. Have the bike shop put out the word. It's actually the perfect time for you to have this "problem". What a nice problem to have!
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 11-22-21, 11:01 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 421 Posts
I'm not a tax lawyer, but I bet you could make a good case for paying tax based on what you actually sold it for, instead of its 'supposed' value.

For a top-of-the-world bike, a world market is the place to sell it, meaning eBay, for the most exposure.

If you've ridden it at all yet, no harm in riding it some more in the meantime.
Old 11-22-21, 11:05 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'd consider Ebay, but honestly unless you're willing to pay a service to list it, or you're already an Ebay power user this seems like a longshot to attract serious buyers.
There is no risk to trying ebay (except a bit of time).

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I definitely would avoid CL and FB Marketplace - most people will assume it's a stolen bike and respond accordingly with skepticism and/or lowball offers.
CL (or facebook market place) would be a bad idea.
Old 11-22-21, 11:06 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I'm not a tax lawyer, but I bet you could make a good case for paying tax based on what you actually sold it for, instead of its 'supposed' value.
Usually winnings like this are taxed as income. You have to pay taxes based on the value of the prize you won.
Old 11-22-21, 11:09 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Hopefully you find someone local. Dealing with selling a bike on eBay or other solutions that will require you to ship the bike is likely going to be a pain. The Pro's Closet will be foolproof but they're likely to take a healthy cut.
Shipping the bike isn't that hard. People do it all the time on ebay. You might want to pay a shop to box it up for you. Shipping should cost about $150.

The Pro's Closet apparently already offered a low amount for it. So, it seems it would be worthwhile to try ebay first.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Have the bike shop put out the word.
The bike shop is going to put zero effort into selling somebody else's bike.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-22-21, 11:17 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
Turn this question around. "If I were looking for a bike like this, where would I look?" ... Ebay. Bought two great bikes on Ebay.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 11-22-21, 11:26 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker

The bike shop is going to put zero effort into selling somebody else's bike.
Though maybe OP could arrange some sort of consignment deal; put it on a Spesh dealer's floor for sale and they keep 30% or thereabouts. Since the bike was an award, I don't know how or what warranty coverage would apply though. If OP has a dated document of some sort (since there's no "receipt"), if he sells to another party, that person at least gets 2 years coverage.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-22-21, 01:35 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
??? He didn't put $15k into anything.

If it's such a problem winning the thing, why even take a chance?

Clearly, a $15k cash prize is more valuable but that wasn't the prize (so, it's irrelevant).

Giving a $15k bike away didn't cost Specialized $15k.

It the prize isn't what you want, don't enter the contest. You already know it's not your "dream bike".

No, not necessarily. Given that it's a free car (outside of taxes), many people might just keep it. Keeping what you win only if it's exactly what you want isn't the only option.

Cars are a different thing away since there is a well-established market for second hand ones.
​​​​​​
Why would you NOT enter a free, no obligation contest to win something of considerable value? I've entered all sorts of freebie competitions similar to this with no intention of keeping the prize. Of course he won't get the full $15k for it, but it's not exactly worthless. As you said he put nothing into it, but that doesn't make any difference whatsoever to his opportunity cost i.e. halo bike vs large pile of cash.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-22-21, 01:55 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Why would you NOT enter a free, no obligation contest to win something of considerable value? I've entered all sorts of freebie competitions similar to this with no intention of keeping the prize. Of course he won't get the full $15k for it, but it's not exactly worthless. As you said he put nothing into it, but that doesn't make any difference whatsoever to his opportunity cost i.e. halo bike vs large pile of cash.
???

No one said it was worthless.

Since he doesn’t want it, his options are to sell it or give it away. I don’t think giving it away makes sense.

So, the question is really how to sell it.

That wasn't my point. It's all about opportunity cost. Not many people actually want to put $15k into a bike when they could use the cash for something else that they want more. It would be different if this was the dream bike that you would have bought had you won a $15k cash prize.
You mentioned $15k as one "opportunity cost".

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-22-21 at 02:35 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-22-21, 02:17 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I would list the bike on ebay with a super-high BIN price, and also list it on my local CL at the actual price. A smart buyer will see the ebay listing and check CL for the seller's location. I know I've bought a few things that way to avoid the ebay fees, which would be real money on a bike like this. If I didn't get any interest on my local CL, I would create multiple listings for metros within driving distance. If that didn't work, I'd create listings for the top ~30 metros and ship it. It's not that hard or expensive to ship a bike.
Likes For kingston:
Old 11-22-21, 02:17 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
????

It looks like you replied to the wrong person.

(I think he should sell it and do whatever he wants with the proceeds.)
Apologies. Yes, my error. I screwed up. Should I delete it?

I was going to suggest FB Marketplace as a long shot. At least there are no fees.

It is really hard to get a high end bike right now, even in the off season. Parts are hard to get, too. I have been waiting forever for some SRAM parts, just like those on that bike. Personally, parting out is too much a pain for me. I have been following bikes like this on The Pros Closet and e-Bay. I'd love to have a bike like that in my size, they sell and at a decent price. I would be shocked if OP could not sell it easily.
Old 11-22-21, 02:30 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I was going to suggest FB Marketplace as a long shot. At least there are no fees.
All I've heard about FB marketplace (and CL) is terrible. Ebay might have fees but it filters out the low ballers.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-22-21, 02:50 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

All I've heard about FB marketplace (and CL) is terrible. Ebay might have fees but it filters out the low ballers.
I have bought and sold dozens of things on CL. Sure you get some lowballers, but it's not that hard to delete those emails. At the high-end people are usually fellow bike nerds. I still keep in touch with a few guys I bought bikes from years ago. I don't use anything facebook because it's a horrible company.
Old 11-22-21, 02:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I'm not sure what the bike shop markups are, but they'll be somewhere between 50% and 100%. So, a $15K bike will cost the shop $7.5K to $10K. They won't be interested in paying more (other than the COVID crunch). Having the history is good, but many shops also don't like buying used for the risk of acquiring stolen merchandise.
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
He could always donate it to a non-profit charity so they could raffle it off, and he could take the tax deduction!
Originally Posted by Iride01
You might see if there are any amateur cycling competition teams for very young adults and older teens and see if there are any in need of a good bike. Some youth and young adults really struggle to get good bikes since they don't have their careers yet to have a decent income.

Maybe ask at some of the bike shops if they know of any or check on the dreaded FB or what ever it is now.
If one can rationally do the donation, I like that. Or, perhaps offer it as a prize for a mid-summer local road race. I'm not sure what the current age classes are. It used to be Midgets, Juniors, Intermediates, etc.

But, offer it to the under 19 group?

Fastest under 19 INDEPENDENT rider that finishes on a STEEL bike?

So many of the big prizes are sucked up by the elite riders when it is really the young ones that would most cherish or benefit from the prize.
Old 11-22-21, 03:15 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
???

No one said it was worthless.

Since he doesn’t want it, his options are to sell it or give it away. I don’t think giving it away makes sense.

So, the question is really how to sell it.

You mentioned $15k as one "opportunity cost".
Okay so now I have to insert the exact value of the bike for my point about opportunity cost to be valid right? LOL.

Anyway, we appear to agree that he isn't nuts to be selling it. Which was my original point in response to some other poster.
Old 11-22-21, 03:44 PM
njkayaker

Okay so now I have to insert the exact value of the bike for my point about opportunity cost to be valid right? LOL.
No, it doesn't have to be exact. But you talked about $15k "cash". It certainly isn't $15k "cash" (it's clearly worth less than $15k except in a vanishingly-unlikely case). So talking about $15k as an "opportunity cost" is misleading.

Anyway, we appear to agree that he isn't nuts to be selling it. Which was my original point in response to some other poster.
Selling it is very reasonable.
Old 11-22-21, 03:48 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by kingston
I have bought and sold dozens of things on CL. Sure you get some lowballers, but it's not that hard to delete those emails. At the high-end people are usually fellow bike nerds. I still keep in touch with a few guys I bought bikes from years ago. I don't use anything facebook because it's a horrible company.
Expensive things?
Old 11-22-21, 03:51 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I'd love to have a bike like that in my size, they sell and at a decent price. I would be shocked if OP could not sell it easily.
What's a decent price for a bike like this? Clearly, it certainly wouldn't be hard to sell for something.
Old 11-22-21, 04:08 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Expensive things?
Yep, bought and sold both cars and motorcycles worth at least as much as that bike and more complicated because you have the title transfer to deal with. The most expensive bike I bought off CL was $3500, and it was a delightful experience for both of us. In fact, the nicer the stuff the better the transaction experience because you're dealing with people who know what they are buying/selling.
Old 11-22-21, 06:19 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I would not sell that bike. I'd keep it and enjoy many hours of glorious road rides.
If you insist on selling the bike, give pinkbike a try. They seem to be a good place to sell high end bikes.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 11-22-21, 07:08 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
There is no risk to trying ebay (except a bit of time).

CL (or facebook market place) would be a bad idea.
Sold my 2018 (Also a Tarmac S Works Di2 disc ) last year in December for 8k on marketplace. It sold in 2 days for my full asking price - difference is mine had a few miles on it - i never dreamed it would sell so quickly, it made me wonder if i should have asked for 9k --- but full bore retail on that particlar bike was maybe 12,500 -
Likes For DMC707:
Old 11-22-21, 08:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
It may be that if people find out the bike shop will sell them a bike maybe in 2023...
Then they'll jump on the opportunity to buy one now.

Winter is a hard season, but Christmas is coming soon, and Spring is just around the corner.
Likes For CliffordK:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.