Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Not really a unique idea, but...a full suspension gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Not really a unique idea, but...a full suspension gravel bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-21, 04:28 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Are fenders and mudguards the same thing?

I have seen pro riders using tiny extensions on the rear of their seats during rainy stages. I'm assuming they do this to try to keep their rear ends dry. Jan Heinie mentions UCI rules about fairings, so I'm not sure if full fenders would even be allowed. Regardless it seems like they would complicate wheel changes and in my experience these things tend to rattle and rub a lot if banged around. This seems like it would be problematic on cobblestones at speed.

Anyway - little butt guards... not sure why no one ran these at Paris Roubaix, but maybe that would've been a game changer:
Old 12-07-21, 06:35 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Fenders (mudguards) are banned by UCI rules.

Of course the reason is because if they weren't, someone would engineer fenders which are actually fairings and improve wheel aerodynamics (that wouldn't be even hard to do) and then everyone would run fenders on every race and that'd be kind of ridiculous. So no mudguards.

There's a long, long list of rules which shape road racing as it is.

Last edited by Branko D; 12-07-21 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-12-21, 03:21 PM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Are fenders and mudguards the same thing?

I have seen pro riders using tiny extensions on the rear of their seats during rainy stages. I'm assuming they do this to try to keep their rear ends dry. Jan Heinie mentions UCI rules about fairings, so I'm not sure if full fenders would even be allowed. Regardless it seems like they would complicate wheel changes and in my experience these things tend to rattle and rub a lot if banged around. This seems like it would be problematic on cobblestones at speed.

Anyway - little butt guards... not sure why no one ran these at Paris Roubaix, but maybe that would've been a game changer:
Ass Savers. It's a thing. I use one all the time. It's a life saver. If the ground is wet, but it's not raining, these are really great.
Likes For Hmmm: