Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I want to replace my front fork, need help.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 02:17 PM
passive jay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 14 Posts

genesis onyx 29'' cruiser. I want to replace the front folk with a springer style fork but I do not know what all the specs mean so I am having issues.

This fork says right on it that it will fit my bike with the conversion kit they sell for it, they even have a picture of it on my bike... but it is chrome and my bike is all bleck

https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...---chrome.html

this one is the color I want and seems to have the same stats? Would it work the same as the other one?

https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...k---black.html

Can I use that?

Here is my bike so far

Old 08-24-21, 06:47 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Your best bet is to contact them.

You might also want to post this question in the Beach Cruisers sub-forum.

John
Old 08-24-21, 07:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
nice bike. maybe just use bigger tires & run them with slightly lower pressure. save yourself the hassle & expense of swapping the fork
Old 08-25-21, 02:28 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by passive jay
genesis onyx 29'' cruiser. I want to replace the front folk with a springer style fork but I do not know what all the specs mean so I am having issues.

This fork says right on it that it will fit my bike with the conversion kit they sell for it, they even have a picture of it on my bike... but it is chrome and my bike is all bleck

https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...---chrome.html

this one is the color I want and seems to have the same stats? Would it work the same as the other one?

https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...k---black.html

Can I use that?

Here is my bike so far

Most likely it will. The 26" is the length of the fork.
Old 08-25-21, 02:35 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nice bike. maybe just use bigger tires & run them with slightly lower pressure. save yourself the hassle & expense of swapping the fork
That's not proper replacement for a suspension fork, the tires have a max pressure of 65psi, anything under 50 is practically running flat. The widest tire it can probably run is a 3.125. Not much hassle swapping a fork on a cruiser, and people like those more for the look, than the ride they give. Because customizing and modding bikes- which it seems he's doing, looking at the 2speed kickback hub, laced to that wheel.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 08-25-21, 06:47 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Any chance you could just paint/powder coat it ? That may be the route if the other fork is a no go. If you choose powder coat make sure they properly plug all the holes or you will have trouble with bolts etc. not going through. Also it would have to be baked to harden the coat. May affect the spring. Otherwise a quality paint may set you up.

Cool bike.
Old 08-25-21, 01:54 PM
passive jay

Oh I am not replacing it for comfort, I just like the way the springer fork looks
Old 08-25-21, 01:55 PM
passive jay

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
That's not proper replacement for a suspension fork, the tires have a max pressure of 65psi, anything under 50 is practically running flat. The widest tire it can probably run is a 3.125. Not much hassle swapping a fork on a cruiser, and people like those more for the look, than the ride they give. Because customizing and modding bikes- which it seems he's doing, looking at the 2speed kickback hub, laced to that wheel.
yup, i am just replacing the fork because I think it will look good on the bike. So far I have replaced the rear hub, added front rim brakes, replaced the seat, and changed the kickstand.
Old 08-25-21, 04:00 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
it is thread like this that brings out all the "non-daily" posters!
Old 08-26-21, 05:13 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by passive jay
yup, i am just replacing the fork because I think it will look good on the bike. So far I have replaced the rear hub, added front rim brakes, replaced the seat, and changed the kickstand.
I still kinda want one those Onyx. The saddle bags look pretty cool, too.
Old 08-26-21, 05:10 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
I've added Springers to several different bikes.
Assuming that the head is the standard 1" issue and the headsets are comparable. The only Spec to worry about is the steer tube length. You will need a springer fork with a steer tube at least 1/2" longer than what you have (allowing for the thickness of the upper spring bolt adjusting plate). A bit longer yet, is even ok since the extra space can be taken up by spacers or a light bracket, etc.
A springer for a 26" wheel has A Lot of room above the tire (2.5"+) and it makes the bike stand up a little bit. Many times the spring adjuster bolt won't be long enough to get it to lay back down. Its a balance of weight distribution and rider weight/seating position.
Also... A springer for a 24" tire frame bike, using a 26" tire will put the tire about an inch from the fork head. Some people balance the look that way.
There are also different rakes of forks.
Looking at the bikes head angle and seat position, depending on the rake of fork, it may not spring very much.
Also, if it does spring well you will notice that active suspension bikes are harder to pedal since the springing action absorbs a lot of forward motion.
Springers are for what you are after though, they are just for looks.

Last edited by macstuff; 08-26-21 at 05:14 PM.
Likes For macstuff: