Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Allant becomes Allan T. Brown

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek Allant becomes Allan T. Brown

Old 10-22-21, 06:01 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
Oh man this silly bike has been an adventure, but I think it’s finally settling in to its fate. Changed shifters, rear derailleur and 9 speed cassette by robbing them from a perfectly finely functioning Trek Multitrack 700, and installing some mid 90’s era LX cranks. The last bit of the puzzle came in the form of a microshift front derailleur with a bottom clamp from the collective. Otherwise the lower bottle bolt on the seat tube was in the way. At long last this thing shifts like a Shimano bike should!

After seeing some sweet front baskets on bikes here on BF, I decided I needed one too. A cheap mini rack, a cheap kitchen basket from Walmart and some zip ties and I was in business. But something was missing, so I made a pattern, watched some YouTube videos, and spent some time in the sewing room to make a cheerful basket liner:

There’s even a pocket inside to carry my phone! I think the copper coloring on the basket adds a little class…
I may put my other rack back on because it looks so much nicer in black. Or maybe just paint this one with a spray bomb.
It actually rides really nice, and has moved up in my favor among the ranks. Think I’ll keep it around a while, maybe build a dynamo wheel for it… it never ends!

Thanks for looking!
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 10-23-21, 06:35 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
A cheap mini rack...
Is that the Sunlite rack you can get on Amazon for about $19? I have it in my bike parts wish list...and can never seem to pull the trigger on it. It looks like it'd do well for someone like you or me wanting to use it for a very specific purpose.
Old 10-23-21, 08:02 AM
Smokinapankake

The very same. I think mine came from Nashbar but.... You can find them under several different brand names but I suspect they all come out of the same factory.
Old 11-07-21, 10:08 AM
Smokinapankake

Mudflaps!

With the weather starting to turn, and my poochy weight trending upward, I decided I need to be more diligent in commuting by bike. Although the Allant already has some sweet fenders, additional coverage is always welcomed. I took a little more care with the front since my feet are directly in the line of fire, but both flaps turned out nice. The front hangs about an inch above ground; 3-1/2” wide at the bottom. I used a piece of textured rubber I got from work, about 1/8” thick. Should be sufficiently sturdy. What do you guys think?
Old 11-08-21, 11:39 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Those should work great. I have a similar flap I made to extend my SKS MTB guard on my MTB-turned-hybrid. I used cork gasket-making material.

Redline Zander MTB Hybrid Conversion - Bike Forums

Yours extends a little further down than mine, which I like.
Old 01-06-22, 09:49 PM
Smokinapankake

The saga continues: I like the dynamo light on my Trek 7300 so much I decided to put another one on Allan T. Brown. Using a Panasonic hub ($22, same as the Sanyo H27)

and the original rim saved some dollars, which allowed me to splurge on the light, a Supernova E3 Pure3:

This seems like some very nice equipment, but the light has a long lead coming off the left (non-drive side) for attachment to a rear light. Most dynamo lights have this, but typically they are short leads with a separate, included wire extension. This E3 rear light lead is long, and the wire is stiff, so I’m having trouble with storing this wire neatly. I’m not planning to use a rear, dynamo powered light, favoring a battery blinky instead. I’m hesitant to cut it, but that appears to be the best solution. If I did cut it I’d add a connector to make adding an extension to power a rear light in the future easy. What are your thoughts?
Old 01-07-22, 12:36 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I like your bike.

Are there dynamo powered rear lights that blink?
Old 01-09-22, 11:27 AM
Smokinapankake

Thanks for the compliment. It’s been an interesting journey, this bike, but I think it’s settling into something that is really useful for me. I don’t know anything about dynamo powered tail lights - whether they are steady on, flashing, or selectable. Sorry.
Old 05-20-22, 07:44 PM
Smokinapankake

Latest iteration pics for posterity:

Mismatched front wheel.

Mismatched front wheel because I built up a dynamo wheel. I used the original 36 spoke rim, but have been having some difficulties finding a 36 hole, 135mm 9 speed non disc rear hub, in black, to build a matching rear wheel with at the collective. You wouldn’t think it would be that hard to find, and they’re not, really, if you look on eBay. But who wants to pay full pop?
Old 06-12-22, 10:54 AM
Smokinapankake

Mudflap v.2:

Version 1 was too floppy and the wind would blow it all around. So I used an old tried and trued solution: a milk jug cut to fit. A few bits of self adhesive Velcro and we’re in business!

Unfortunately, the Specialized Borough tires I had on it previously were too fat (45c) to fit under the factory fenders, so I had to scrounge around and find some smaller tires. They, too are mismatched so I thought it only appropriate since the front wheel is a mismatch as well…

Bikes are dumb….
Old 07-25-22, 10:09 AM
Vurtigo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 2014 24spd version of this bike and I love it for commuting. I still have the original seat though. I don't plan on changing the handlebars, do you think a Brooks B17 or a Brooks Flyer/B67 would be better for the upright position? I see you have a more aggressive seat than the original, is why I'm asking.
Old 07-25-22, 01:49 PM
Smokinapankake

I don't know much about Brooks seats other than that they seem loved (after a painful break in period) or hated, perhaps because of a not long enough break in period. I've never owned one, and probably never will just due to their expense, so I can't really answer your question.

The seat I do have is a Bell Dart 500, that was available at Wal-Mart several years ago, but sadly is no longer available. I stumbled on this model seat and liked it so much I ran out and bought 5 more for my other regularly ridden bikes.

Sorry if this isn't helpful... Good luck!
Old 07-25-22, 02:03 PM
Vurtigo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know much about Brooks seats other than that they seem loved (after a painful break in period) or hated, perhaps because of a not long enough break in period. I've never owned one, and probably never will just due to their expense, so I can't really answer your question.

The seat I do have is a Bell Dart 500, that was available at Wal-Mart several years ago, but sadly is no longer available. I stumbled on this model seat and liked it so much I ran out and bought 5 more for my other regularly ridden bikes.

Sorry if this isn't helpful... Good luck!
Thanks for that, I actually bit the bullet and ordered a brooks saddle and some VO fenders for it. this has been a great bike and I'm enjoying it.
Old 07-25-22, 04:52 PM
Smokinapankake

Sweet! Mine has been pretty good, considering what I have into it. I initially bought the thing for $20 from a kid on campus who was moving back home so downsizing, and I really only wanted the rack he had mounted on it (A Bontrager Back Rack Deluxe), but on looking a little closer I thought it could be something more than what met the eye... And here we are. It's a little heavy, but I've kept it in rotation with my other commuter bikes rather than hang it up on the ceiling, whatever that says about it....
Old 07-25-22, 04:59 PM
Vurtigo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet! Mine has been pretty good, considering what I have into it. I initially bought the thing for $20 from a kid on campus who was moving back home so downsizing, and I really only wanted the rack he had mounted on it (A Bontrager Back Rack Deluxe), but on looking a little closer I thought it could be something more than what met the eye... And here we are. It's a little heavy, but I've kept it in rotation with my other commuter bikes rather than hang it up on the ceiling, whatever that says about it....
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the Allant is over a minute faster on my 7 mile commute over my Specialized Diverge. Since I ordered the new fenders and brooks saddle today, I think it'll be my primary commuter.