Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Old 12-09-21, 10:27 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
Unfortunately, the 750 has been moved on, as has the 950. I found a 1990 Cannondale ST1000 and sold the two Treks to offset some of the cost. My Voyageur SP is next on the auction block. That ST1000 didn't come cheap, but I love it!
Old 12-10-21, 06:51 PM
goodwrench84

Bikes: Trek 4300, Schwinn Le Tour, Specialized Allez, Trek 700 Multitrack & more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Greetings all,

So much good information & pictures and great thread, I had to join. I just picked up a 1993 700 that looks like it had very limited use that still had the original tires. Looks to have been stored in a basement or garage most of its life. Tires were easy to identify from previous post and good pictures, what a great resource for identifying components and upgrade possibilities and give me reasons to support my LBS.
Likes For goodwrench84:
Old 12-27-21, 06:34 PM
goodwrench84

Bikes: Trek 4300, Schwinn Le Tour, Specialized Allez, Trek 700 Multitrack & more

xaztec, very nice.
Old 01-07-22, 10:18 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
Very much like this! I converted my 750 to drop bars, but I'm headed to something looking like this soon.

Originally Posted by xaztec
My 1992 Trek 790. I upgraded this quite a bit from stock. replaced the headset with a sealed cartridge bearing headset from Velo and a quill adapter so I could use threadless stems. Added a stem and Salsa Bend Deluxe bars from my Salsa Marrakesh when I upgraded that to Surly Moloko bars. swapped out the shifters and brakes for XTR dual controls and V-Brakes. Built these wheels from XT 9-speed hubs and DT Swiss TK540 rims. Terra Speed 40 mm tires. XT 9-speed cassette and RD. Brooks B67. Only stock parts are the seat post, FD and crankset.
Old 01-15-22, 04:02 PM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
Pretty excited... I purchased a 750 and it arrived last night. Today, I put it together and took it for a test ride. Smooth as silk. Anyways... i took some pics with the other Multitrack. The green 720 was purchased back in 05 or 06 for my wife, for about 75 dollars, if I remember right. Seat is low bc my 9 yr old son has been messing with it.

Just wanted to share.
Old 01-16-22, 04:35 PM
goodwrench84

This is my multitrack I purchased from marketplace from someone who was flipping thrift store bikes with his father. After comparing pictures on a previous post here, the tire’s look original with a rattle can paint job covering the disintegrated gum walls and overspray on wheels for good measure. This bike looks minimally used and unmolested in its past life with some updates on the horizon. I already have 40’s on it and I am looking to change the handle bars and stem to achieve a mountain bike geometry feel like my trek 4300. I’m leaning towards a gravel hybrid build and will most likely let my favorite LBS do the work. I am really enjoying all the postings of some great looking builds on this thread and look forward and welcome to any members ideas for my project.

Before any modifications.
Likes For goodwrench84:
Old 01-21-22, 11:04 AM
theMotoMan

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Just recently moved and the areas for me to ride have changed, so I converted my 1992 drop bar Trek 750 over to riser bars. Picked up a SRAM GX 10-Speed trigger shifter, a pair of Tektro Eclipse MT 3.0 brake levers (can be switched to/from cantilever and linear/v-brake pull), and a new brake cable set and I was good to go. I already had bars, grips, stem, and bar ends. After riding it a bit, I decided I needed a bit lower gearing, so I picked up a cheap 104 BCD crank and a narrow/wide 32T oval chainring to finish it out.

Likes For theMotoMan:
Old 01-21-22, 11:09 AM
theMotoMan

I found a diamond in the rough on FB Marketplace and picked it up for my wife. It is a 1996 730, 17". It appears to have been ridden very little and was in storage for many years, although the paint did fade a little. Paid $100 for it.

This is the photo from the FB ad, but I will get it cleaned up and make a few mods to it and will repost some photos.
Likes For theMotoMan:
Old 02-04-22, 12:33 PM
xaztec

Bikes: 1992 Trek 790, 1976/2020 Schwinn Superior, 2000 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Lemond Sarthe, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, 2017 Salsa Marrakesh,

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
theMotoMan, Looks like you put new wheels on it too. Those aren't original are they?
Old 02-05-22, 07:52 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by theMotoMan
I found a diamond in the rough on FB Marketplace and picked it up for my wife. It is a 1996 730, 17". It appears to have been ridden very little and was in storage for many years, although the paint did fade a little. Paid $100 for it.

This is the photo from the FB ad, but I will get it cleaned up and make a few mods to it and will repost some photos.
Nice bike, neat color. BTW, your crank might have been recalled in 97. The 95 730 had the recalled FC-MC12; I'm not sure if 96 also had that crank, a quick look for a serial number will settle it.

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 02-05-22, 08:56 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
BTW, your crank might have been recalled in 97. The 95 730 had the recalled FC-MC12; I'm not sure if 96 also had that crank, a quick look for a serial number will settle it.
Good call on checking to see if the crank arms are the FC-MC12 ones!

For my '95 730, I purchased a used FC-MC16 crankset, then installed my (still pretty good) original chainrings on the newer crank arms.
Old 02-05-22, 12:06 PM
John Valuk

Originally Posted by theMotoMan
Great buy! That looks very, very nice.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 02-06-22, 07:49 PM
theMotoMan

Originally Posted by xaztec
theMotoMan, Looks like you put new wheels on it too. Those aren't original are they?
Yeah, those are definitely upgraded wheels. This pair of Ksyriums I bought used a few years ago for $75, which is a steal.
Old 02-06-22, 07:56 PM
theMotoMan

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Nice bike, neat color. BTW, your crank might have been recalled in 97. The 95 730 had the recalled FC-MC12; I'm not sure if 96 also had that crank, a quick look for a serial number will settle it.

I will take a look at the crank to see if it is the same one. Coincidentally, I have replaced the crank already, but will look anyway. I put a 170mm 104BCD external bearing crankset on it with a 30T chainring. Traded wheels with another Trek that I have and made this into a 1 x 8 for my wife. She doesn't go very fast and just concentrating on one shifter is a win for her.
Old 02-10-22, 10:22 AM
theMotoMan

Hey guys, I posted a picture of my wife's 1996 Trek 730 the other day and I have been busy upgrading a few things, one of which is the brakes. I am upgrading to V-Brakes from the old cantilevers. the front went fine, but I ran into a snag on the back. Instead of having a cable housing holder brazed to the back of the top tube, it has a metal tube brazed to the frame, which allows the cable to bend around the seat tube and connect to the cantilever V cable. In order to install V-brakes, I need something to hold one end of the cable housing and then the normal cable housing to brake noodle, like it is designed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by theMotoMan; 02-10-22 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 02-10-22, 10:51 AM
theMotoMan

I did find a solution on YouTube and that is to install a cable stop clamp on the top tube.

Here is a link to the video:

Here is a link to the adapter on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BICYCLE-PRO...S/391667166809

I also found it on Amazon for cheaper, so I bought it there. I got the double 28.6mm one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by theMotoMan; 02-10-22 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Add another link to needed adapter
Likes For theMotoMan:
Old 02-11-22, 09:39 AM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Out for a ride yesterday. It was a lovely 45 degrees F so I stopped at the elementary school to snap a pic:

The more I ride this bike the more I like it!
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 02-15-22, 05:10 PM
theMotoMan

Here is the finished upgrade from cantilever to v-brake on the wife's 730. Working well!

Likes For theMotoMan:
Old 02-15-22, 05:53 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Lookin good! I used that exact same piece on my Raleigh Peak MTB where the cable housing stop broke off on the rear of the top tube. Has been there for years now. Good piece of kit. Nice looking 730, too. I love the color!
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 02-15-22, 07:26 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I used the silver single stop version on my 750 to convert to linear pull...and it's been a solid component -- no slipping, no chipping, no fading...it's a good part that'll be there as long as you care to have it there. Nice job with the conversion!

What tires are those? Gravel Kings? WTB Byways or siblings? They look nice on there.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 02-21-22, 09:43 AM
theMotoMan

The tires are American Classic and I bought them on Amazon. $35 each. They are 40mm wide, but measured about 38mm or so.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Likes For theMotoMan:
Old 03-25-22, 03:52 PM
StumblingCorgi

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Found a 700 in the garbage. Excited to see the love for this bike.

Hello, I actually just made the count to post in this thread specifically. I’ve been a big fan of retro bikes on YouTube and been keeping my eye out in the free section on craigslist hoping to find someone giving old the bikes away. Just the other night someone posted they saw some decent looking bikes in the garbage at the curb so I took the gamble and drove 30 minutes picking up all three. There was a child’s trek learning bike, A Royce Union, and everyone’s beloved trek seven series specifically the 700 in forest green. I’m afraid I couldn’t tell you the year if you know of a place I can look on the bike and online to figure it out it would be much appreciated. Figuring the track was the better of the two adult bikes I started looking for ideas on what I could do with this. I am very excited to come across this thread and see that it’s still somewhat active. I figured the safest thing to upgrade right off the bat without scouring this thread was to upgrade the rotten tires to panaracer gravel kings. I didn’t change the size because I wasn’t sure how it works but now that I see some of your posts maybe I should’ve gotten a wider tire. Well live in learn I’ll ride these for a bit.

I plan on learning bike maintenance by doing a small tear down and cleaning its existing parts. Everything seems to be working if not a little gummed up and definitely in need of some grease. I’ll be sure to post updates here for those interested in my beginner experience and love seeing all the work you’ve all done to the series of bike.

keep being awesome.
Likes For StumblingCorgi:
Old 03-25-22, 04:06 PM
John Valuk

Originally Posted by StumblingCorgi
and everyone’s beloved trek seven series specifically the 700 in forest green. I’m afraid I couldn’t tell you the year if you know of a place I can look on the bike and online to figure it out it would be much appreciated.
Check out Vintage Trek.

There is some information there on years / colors. They also have scanned copies of some Trek brochures and technical manuals.
Old 03-26-22, 03:57 PM
StumblingCorgi

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John Valuk
Check out (redacted because i can’t post links)

There is some information there on years / colors. They also have scanned copies of some (redacted because apparently I’m too new to post links).
thanks too you i was able to find my model. It’s a 1995 black and “ice blue” with OCLV Carbon bar ends from the same year. I Don’t Know why i thought it was “forest green “ must have been the dark playing tricks on me.

fun fact! I did not know new tires only came in packs of one. So my Panaracer tire looks great… the crumbling rear not so much. Oh well like i said, beginner bike for a beginner wannabe bike mechanic. We’re a perfect match for each other.
Old 04-06-22, 03:26 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I’ve always kind of wanted one of these, and found this the other day at a thrift shop for twenty bucks. wheels are beat to crap, can’t believe I got them as strait as I did. Put some different brakes on as the originals plastic had cracked and they couldn’t be adjusted. 26.4 seat post I had seems to work well in place of the original. I’ve changed the stem and bar cause it was just impossible riding up some of the steep hills where I live. The original grip shift was pretty nasty so found some better ones in my parts bin.
just rode it twenty some miles to town and back, and I don’t know if I like it. Might have to get the stem lower and find a different saddle. Might put a butterfly bar on it. Have enough bikes with drop’s already.
It rides smooth, very comfortable on the flats.
I even like this drivetrain, it just works well.
Likes For shipwreck:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.