Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Seat Angle At Older Age - Rant

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-30-22, 01:27 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts

At the age of 68 I have had to adjust all my bicycles seat angle down in the nose very slightly. About 3° tilt down in the nose. I have been using a level seat more than 55 years and I am really wondering if this is normal for geezerdom. Certainly my personal equipment down there is not getting any bigger so why is extra clearance needed... Ha

I guess it just goes along with all the other changes I have made over the years. Like having to lower my seat about a centimeter and raising my bars at least two. I also don't even think about using the drops anymore.

I slug along on my safe, no traffic, short local routes and sometimes I see riders older than me blasting by at full speed smiling... Bravo Youse Guys!
Old 04-30-22, 01:54 PM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
Interesting. I'm 69 and haven't felt the need to change my seat angle at all; the nose is still tilted slightly upward and has been for many years.
Likes For Route 66:
Old 04-30-22, 01:58 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Mine Stayed The Same

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 04-30-22, 02:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Yeah I'm not even near your age and I'd say I'm starting to realize some of the things most all the things you mention in your OP. <grin>

I did recently have to drop the nose of my saddle a tad, but I think it's just that when I increased the saddle height an inch that it just needed that or I might not have kept the same angle it was at prior. I do use my drops and I'm using them more and more. Being more aero just saves so much more energy on longer rides and it's evident to me.

I've been fighting all the other old age stuff though and doing some exercises more regularly. Push ups, sit ups and leg stretches like a ballerina on that bar. Even using those spring thingy's to strengthen my grip. Which has actually gotten rid of the numb feeling I just started getting by hour two of a ride. Haven't found out yet if it's just moved that to hour three!

Last edited by Iride01; 04-30-22 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-30-22, 04:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I slug along on my safe, no traffic, short local routes and sometimes I see riders older than me blasting by at full speed smiling... Bravo Youse Guys!
Bravo on You, for riding at Your pace, on Your chosen route, on a bike adjusted for You.
Riding at full speed (or maximum efficiency or some other "performance" or fitness metric) is not the be-all/end-all of cycling, despite what some compulsive types might think is necessary for a "real' ride. Don't let the smiling fool you, there are plenty of videos of smiling jackasses doing all sorts of stuff on YouTube
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 04-30-22, 05:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
67 next week, riding for 33 years, saddles are all set level. Im not seeing any need to change.
Old 04-30-22, 06:48 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I am 69 and have ridden a level saddle for a long time. I have not changed that, but I have had a need to lower the seat posts and shorten or change degrees, or both, to all my bikes. I am shorter than I used to be, and not as flexible. I am talking about relatively small changes. I have done that twice in the past 4 or 5 years. This spring, the fit seems to still fit. Last year was a change year. No rant here. If it keeps me comfortable, I am good with it.
Old 04-30-22, 06:57 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,880 Times in 1,645 Posts
Since few or none seem to be reporting a similar need to angle their saddle noses down, my guess is that your saddle has not yet been lowered sufficiently. At 70, I've had to lower my saddles a couple of times over the last several years, but once at the right height, they're level and comfortable.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-30-22, 07:45 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I dropped the nose on my saddle years ago, just dong like stuff in my junk. Tilting the saddle has little to do with performance and more about comfort. True old geezers would ride gel seat about the size of family pizzas, I do admit though that at +70 I'm not as fit or as fast as most of the crowd but I'm still having fun..
Old 04-30-22, 10:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Do what ever it takes to keep the boys happy. In my 40s developed prostatitis and have tried various angles, set-backs and seats with cutouts. Unfortunately the seats with the best cutouts which keep all the male bits the happiest don’t necessarily work the best for my sit bones which makes for an uncomfortable ride after 35 miles. Life is always a series of compromises at this age, so I will take some greater comfort doing my passion and some discomfort with bathroom urgency.

Old 05-01-22, 10:50 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
If the seat is higher than the handlebars my posture is going to put more pressure on my genitals and even with a cut-out style saddle I end up with a downward tilt of 3-4 degrees for maximum comfort. Part of the problem is less robust butt muscles and this was a problem when I first started doing 100 mile rides until they got in condition. If my seat is too far back by even a half an inch it also results in more of my weight on the front of the saddle.
Old 05-02-22, 04:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
At 64, I haven't lowered my saddles or tilted then nose down, but I have replaced some of my longer stems with 1 cm shorter versions, and I've gone from older handlebars with 85-90mm reach and 140mm drop to ones with 75mm reach and 120mm drop. They're still at the same height as before, though, and I find I can use the drops comfortably for longer.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-02-22, 10:51 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
...my guess is that your saddle has not yet been lowered sufficiently.
Took your advice and lowered my seat post just 5mm. That did it!

Such a small increment has made such a big change. My seat is back to level again. Thanks...
Old 05-03-22, 07:04 AM
couldwheels
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Nose down at least - 5 degrees to avoid lower back pain on harder efforts. If make saddle level or slightly nose up, I get lower back pain sometimes on harder efforts.
Old 05-03-22, 08:04 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
75 and still riding a level saddle.
Old 05-03-22, 03:39 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Still on racy type roadies, mostly. Couple of tourers.
Lowered seatposts. ~~1cm, quite a few years ago, actually.
Saddles: Newer styles basically flat, vintage leather generally tilted slightly and many w/ cutouts.
Handlebars: Narrower = 38s on almost all now, short & shallow on last Calfee modification build. Still in the drops regularly.
Cranks: Shorter, if being changed or 'upgraded' with newer.

Cycling shorts: Paddier!
Old 05-03-22, 07:43 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
76. I haven't really changed my bike's fit in 25 years. My saddle angle is the same it's always been, though I've been through maybe 20 different saddles in that time. I'm very particular about saddle fit and as my body changes with age, so does my saddle. Maybe 10 saddles out of that count are saddles I stuck with for more than a few weeks.
Old 05-03-22, 07:52 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
I'm 66 and still have a level saddle and at the same height.
I did change to a Spesh Power saddle nearly 2 years ago and much prefer the shorter nose. The cutout works very well and the width of the back is near perfect.
I've slowed down a bit since I was a senior 3, in the uscf days, but I can still drop fit people 30 years younger on climbs...did it Sunday on our 50 miler...it felt great.
If your not comfortable makes changes that restore comfort...along with the comfort comes a degree of better performance and efficiency because your body and mind are not trying to find a comfortable position.
Ride On to all us old mf'ers...
Old 05-05-22, 06:08 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I'll be the English teacher who says "upright bicycles have saddles, recumbents have seats." With that out of the way, my recumbent seats are set at around 22 degrees from horizontal. My lone upright's saddle is slightly nose-up. I'm 66.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-10-22, 07:54 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Still riding a level saddle, but I have lowered it around 1cm recently. I also now have compact bars on all bikes and only about a 2cm drop from saddle to bars. Since around age 50 it seems I have to make small adjustments every three or four years.
Old 05-11-22, 08:42 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I think that different seats will have different comfort positions for every (male) body. And, finding a good comfort position/adjustment can be tedious, and a very precise adjustment. I keep five different bikes operating…all with different seats. Generally I like my seat level. But on a couple of my seats, the butt end is flared up just a bit more than the others. If I put those seats level…I feel like I’m sliding off the front. Others have to be angled down on the nose or it’ll cause male discomfort. And…as other have indicated above…adjusting any discomfort out of a seat might not be a seat-leveling adjustment at all. Seat height, handlebar/brake hood height, and handlebar distance from the seat also can impact seat comfort.

Dan
Old 05-14-22, 12:04 AM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Do what you need to do to keep riding. I'll be 61 soon and I've been riding my old roadie with the exact same seat and handlebar position since the day I bought it in 1986. And I have no problems (yet) riding the drops.

Last edited by Gonzo Bob; 05-14-22 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-18-22, 07:24 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Do what ever it takes to keep the boys happy. In my 40s developed prostatitis and have tried various angles, set-backs and seats with cutouts. Unfortunately the seats with the best cutouts which keep all the male bits the happiest don’t necessarily work the best for my sit bones which makes for an uncomfortable ride after 35 miles. Life is always a series of compromises at this age, so I will take some greater comfort doing my passion and some discomfort with bathroom urgency.
Yes, keep the boys comfortable, but there's more to it. Dropping the nose tends to let gravity pull you down the now-sloped saddle, so you have to press forward with your hands to stop that slide. If you like being pulled forward, OK, but I don't.
Old 05-18-22, 08:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Yes, keep the boys comfortable, but there's more to it. Dropping the nose tends to let gravity pull you down the now-sloped saddle, so you have to press forward with your hands to stop that slide. If you like being pulled forward, OK, but I don't.
I sure don’t either, besides it hurts my shoulders when that happens.

Old 05-19-22, 07:39 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
71 y.o. here. About a year ago or so, at the beginning of "cycling season", my saddle adjustment on my road bike just didn't feel right, after riding it the same way for several years. Lowered the nose just the smallest bit, and that's all it took. I also ride off-road, and the saddle on my mtn bike (diff brand saddle) is slightly up and did not need changing. Maybe because the mtn.bike has a more upright rider position? Wouldn't it be nice if our bodies remained the same as we age. BUT-ain't gonna be that way!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.