Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

As mechanics, are we ept?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

As mechanics, are we ept?

Old 03-06-22, 04:06 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You could probably work out of your own shop.

I bumped into TiCycles not long ago. I didn't get to see the shop, but I'm pretty sure it is basically a home shop. It certainly would be worth a tour.
Maybe if your home shop is world class and includes the capability to repair, fully design and build from scratch, most any type, style of bike, component and frame, any material, including Ti.

Old, new, cutting edge, fantastic retro, old school and everything in between.

There is very little Dave cannot do in house. He also fabricates and produces auto and motorcycle parts that many cannot.

A frame like this is not produced start to finish including paint in "basically a home shop".

Last edited by merziac; 03-06-22 at 04:13 AM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-06-22, 08:33 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Seen this remark a couple times at least in this thread, but don't understand its context. Can somebody shed some light on the difficulties of building a kid's bike?
Originally Posted by Andy_K
The quality of components is just awful.
The components of name brand kids bikes isn’t awful per se, but they can be challenging to set up compared to high end bikes. (Although modern Shimano road FDs are a perfect example of engineering something new just for the sake of it being new - I see zero benefit and only increased time to install and adjust.)

I can’t recall exactly what all I did wrong, but likely the seat was too high (I’m 6’2”, what can I say?), but he definitely grabbed the bars and spun them with the font wheel immobile and ended with, “Do it again.” He’s a tough love kind of guy, but he kept asking me to come back, so that says something, too.

He’s the kind of guy that, in the midst of a labor shortage, will fire a kid who is a no-show one day and is late and hung over the next. Unlike many shops, his lead mechanics are all as old as me. There are no guarantees in life, but I don’t worry about my LBS as much as I worry about others with kids wrenching and running the floor.

Oh, and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is a must read classic - I own two copies so I can give one away if needed.
Old 03-06-22, 08:43 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 537 Posts
A more recent iteration of “Zen” is “Shop Class as Soulcraft”. I HIGHLY recommend it for those that get satisfaction working on stuff.
Old 03-06-22, 09:52 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
I was a bike mechanic in the 90's in high school and early college. Loved it, I am still a decent mechanic and fixer of bikes with decent speed, but I have never been fast at building bikes or doing major overhauls. Or at least shop speed, I like to take my time and romance a bike when it is new. Get to know her a bit.
Old 03-06-22, 01:36 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 113 Posts
Hi folks,

Well, late to the party as usual.

I’ve been wrenching on bikes for a long, long time and consider myself a competent mechanic. Could I work in a bike shop environment? Maybe? Would I want to work there? At my age, no way! As other have said, I work at a leisurly pace, plus, get distracted easily.

In preparation for retirement, we became fulltime RVers in 2005. The bikes vintage bikes I kept went into storage at our home base and we took two all-rounders with us. In this mode I learned the value of co-ops since I no longer had a work place. Sometimes I volunteered, others just used their available work space.

After 11 years of the vagabond lifestyle & 5 years of full retirement, we settled back into a permanent residence. For the last 5 years, I’ve been volunteering at our local co-op doing primarily refurbs. Started with one 5 hour shift the 1st year & added a second one the second year. When the Covid restrictions were enacted, I took a short sabbatical. For the last 20 months I’ve been working from home doing about a bike a week. Alternating between road/city bikes and MTBs/ hybrids. During my on-site time, I mainly did department store “redos”. We got a lot of barely used donations that people had ridden for a short time & than parked because they were not assembled or adjusted properly. I could turn two of these per shift into safe, reliable, functioning bikes with minimum investment.

My volunteer time provides me with parts for my projects at a discount.

Several years ago, we were having a custom home built. I asked the contractor if there was anything I could help with? His reply was that it depended on my skill set and tools. He also commented that a hobbyist could often do as well as a professional, but took more time.

Cheers,

Van

Last edited by Senior Ryder 00; 03-06-22 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 03-06-22, 02:25 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 3,082 Times in 1,942 Posts
All I know is that NO mechanic can remove the front derailleur/bottom bracket mount without hurting their hands...

Ask how I know.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-06-22, 03:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
I have been a shop mechanic many times over many years. Most of the build posts I see here indicate to me that most of here in C&V are competent. I'm no longer fast at most bike jobs but there are a few that I'm super fast at. For instance, I can change a tube and put a bike back on the road before you can blink. I'm still fast at building and truing wheels as long as the components are old-school standard. One reason I'm slow is that my stuff isn't organized or neatly laid out, and my workshop is too small for the job. There are other reasons I probably don't need to list. (That's a straightman line. Have at me.)

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-06-22, 05:42 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
I'm fairly fast at wheel building and I used to work in a shop. Several actually but my skills are definitely for older bikes. When doing initial builds, which I did a lot, I got extremely fast but it greatly depends on the manufacturer.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-06-22, 07:00 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
It was evitable that everyone would understand.
A gruntling outlook.
Old 03-06-22, 07:02 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
A more recent iteration of “Zen” is “Shop Class as Soulcraft”. I HIGHLY recommend it for those that get satisfaction working on stuff.
I recently picked it up on someone's recommendation but haven't read it yet.
Old 03-06-22, 07:03 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I'm a technician doing mostly music electronics and mechanics. Rebuild Rhodes pianos, guitar amps, pro audio and high end home audio gear. Most of the skill set transfers over. So, mostly ept. A pro bike mechanic has experience and feel I won't. I'm pretty good, but my LBSs are extraordinary.
Likes For Ronsonic:
Old 03-06-22, 08:11 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
I can do in 8 hours what a good shop wrench can do in 2. It’s a gift.

Actually, when I was wrenching every day, I was better.

That’s how you get your bike to Carnegie Hall.

I currently wrench to lantern light. 8 D batteries last about 3 hours brightly, then, not.
I also have 2 X-Torches from Shark Tank. They are great.
I can sometimes clip them to the bike for direct light at a specific spot.

Not bad until you drop something.

This is with 2 lanterns and using a flash. It’s never this light.
Old 03-07-22, 08:45 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 45 Posts
If I was younger yeah I could do it and do it now when I'm needed. My first Bicycle Mechanics job started in 2008 when I turned 40yrs old and wasn't bad. I got to learn stuff almost everyday, show me once and I'm good. I now mostly rebuild used bikes and sell them out of the shop I was working at which I like doing. Our shop is in a tourist town full of Beach Cruisers & everything in between, we get lots of vintage low end bikes that we do work on! We don't get the latest & greatest bikes in great numbers but are equipped to work on them. I was a Small Engine/Power Equipment mechanic & had my own shop 12 yrs so I know how to move and work at a fast pace.

Glenn
Old 03-07-22, 10:02 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 972 Posts
My epitutde ranking is fine in the C&V realm, plus indexed drivetrains. Zero experience with frame building, carbon anything, discs, hydraulics, e-shifting. I feel like I'd figure it out. Not shop fast by any stretch but I always surprise myself how quickly I can do a full stripdown and rebuild, or lace up and true a wheel set. Wrenching is a happy place for me and I learned very early on to keep those things for myself and not try to make a living from them, lest they lose all their joy. Photography was another.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 03-07-22, 10:48 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
I just brought donuts to work.
I looked in the bag and found a new cable end cap.
The first thing that came to mind was not "what is it doing there?" but: "it looks like a shifter cable cap, not a brake cable cap. I need to hang onto this."

I also found a dongle for a wireless mouse.
No idea how either got in there, or even what mouse the dongle works with.
I'm a bit ept at computers, too.
Except Bitlocker.
I hate Bitlocker.
Old 03-07-22, 12:25 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,516 Times in 724 Posts
in·ept
/iˈnept/
adjective
  1. having or showing no skill; clumsy.
  2. BT's failure to troubleshoot ghost shifting

Last edited by BTinNYC; 03-07-22 at 01:16 PM.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-07-22, 01:18 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 107 Posts
I'm a heavy equipment mechanic by trade, at least until the end of June. Not many M5 screws to deal with during my workday. Bike wrenching is therapy.

A couple years ago, I did work weekends in a local shop because the owner knew of my experience on older bikes, especially SA hubs. I also have a background in modern IG hubs. Don't like them, but I can work on them. Could I keep up with the shop lead? No way. Work on a several thousand dollar full suspension mountain bike? Certainly, but I won't be fast. Diagnose a problem with a bike with E-shift. Maybe, but I'd rather slam my hand, repeatedly, in a car door. Because the shop lead and other wrenches were younger than my kids, they'd ask me about an older bike they'd be working on and I'd defer to them on the new stuff.

After closing time, splitting a 12 pack with the boss and the youngsters on the back steps was about the best part of the day.
Old 03-08-22, 02:45 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
I can do in 8 hours what a good shop wrench can do in 2. It’s a gift.

Actually, when I was wrenching every day, I was better.

That’s how you get your bike to Carnegie Hall.

I currently wrench to lantern light. 8 D batteries last about 3 hours brightly, then, not.
I also have 2 X-Torches from Shark Tank. They are great.
I can sometimes clip them to the bike for direct light at a specific spot.

Not bad until you drop something.
This is with 2 lanterns and using a flash. It’s never this light.
Almost can't overvalue good lighting. All kinds of stuff ends up hiding in plain sight without it.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 03-14-22, 07:25 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,516 Times in 724 Posts
/iˈnept/
adjective
  1. having or showing no skill; clumsy.
  2. BT's failure to troubleshoot ghost shifting
  3. Regularly bending derailleur hangar when attached to trainer
Old 03-14-22, 08:58 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
It seems to be an article of faith that most of us are better mechanics than the average mechanic down at the LBS. But are we, really? My guess is that a lot of us achieve excellent results by working at glacial speed. We can afford to be as careful as we want, and have "perfect" as our goal. The LBS can't. They've got move jobs through quickly, and recognize that "perfect" is just one point in the middle of the much wider "acceptable" zone. I consider myself to be an excellent mechanic, but if I went to work at a bike shop on Monday, I'm pretty sure they'd fire me by Friday.

Also, we're old, and have learned to seek advice when we need it. Your typical shop mechanic is a lot younger, and maybe more likely, when in doubt, to power ahead and hope for the best.

Who around here is, or has been, a professional shop mechanic? How good (or bad) are amateurs like us?
A few years ago I went to a local bike shop to get parts for my 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix restoration, cables, chain, tires, etc. The owner of the shop asked if I was a mechanic, I said no but that I had been restoring bikes for over 30 years. He then asked if I wanted a job in his shop. I don't need a job but was curious how much he would pay, he said $11.00 per hour under the table. I thanked him and said I'd think about it. At the time I was amused but slightly offended, but reading the above post made me realize that $11.00 for someone like me is a pretty good deal. I make much less than that meticulously restoring vintage bikes that I find and resell.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 03-14-22, 09:37 AM
cv350

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
Another vote for “Shop Class as Soulcraft”. I first read this book a decade ago and it really resonated with me. It still does.
Old 03-14-22, 12:55 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
A few years ago I went to a local bike shop to get parts for my 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix restoration, cables, chain, tires, etc. The owner of the shop asked if I was a mechanic, I said no but that I had been restoring bikes for over 30 years. He then asked if I wanted a job in his shop. I don't need a job but was curious how much he would pay, he said $11.00 per hour under the table. I thanked him and said I'd think about it. At the time I was amused but slightly offended, but reading the above post made me realize that $11.00 for someone like me is a pretty good deal. I make much less than that meticulously restoring vintage bikes that I find and resell.
Something to consider for anyone wondering why their local shop mechanics aren’t more experienced… you get what you pay for.
Old 03-14-22, 01:51 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
While my my day job isn't totally office bound on my last rotation back to the states I took a job at an AutoZone the job was NY minimum wage plus a couple of bucks, I worked a couple days a week and it was great. I stocked some shelves, helped the folks that needed old stuff or basic diagnostics i.e. a dude came in looking for points for a '58 Chevy truck or a guy that had bought a new carburetor and after installation had a high idle. The end state was my manager hired a guy who could deal with weird while he wasn't there, I got to do a job that kept me thinking without having to answer "what oil do I need for my '14 Camry, can you test my battery, I bought this wrong alternator 6 months ago and it blew up etc. and the best part of all of it I wasn't the boss. I'll rotate back to the states in 2024 after I get there I'll volunteer and a shop or co-op and do much of the same thing for bikes the money isn't the important thing it'll be cheaper to work on customers bike vs. my own and it should scratch the work on it itch.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 03-14-22, 01:54 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'm not ept much less quick but my labor is free.

Originally Posted by old's'cool
I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if it's been mentioned already; I do recommend reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for anyone seeking higher gratification for working on machines (or anything for that matter), or for an explanation of why it can be so gratifying.
This is... not enough. The part of the narrator that natters on about this stuff is not a complete person and lacking the exceptional part of his character. The other half of his bipolar character, suppressed by electroshock therapy and now escaping, rails at the self indulgence of it. The romantic side that looks outward to relationships with people is required to complete the character.

Part of why making things look good is important to sell them, when form fails to much follow function.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-14-22 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-14-22, 01:58 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 491 Posts
I'm not super speedy either, but I have enough skills to make myself useful at the LBS and I absolutely love volunteering at the co-op. The latter doesn't require extreme speed; I'm often teaching others how to do things, so they are slower than me. Volunteering at a co-op is a very worthy endeavor if you want to share your skills without the pressure of working at an LBS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.