Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Advice and Suggestions for Massage Therapy

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-16, 07:56 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Asking a question to people who get massages on a regular basis.
just recently while on a Cruise by Carnival I visited the Spa area. Did a massage for the first time ever. Of course it was professional, lol
Anyways the one I had done was a deep tissue full body with the focus on neck, shoulders, back. I often would get knots there. usually i do a daily stretches which helps, but always comes and goes. I dont think i really have any health issues, just daily stuff. as i do spend time at a computer.

Now after doing this service. IT was amazing. All knots cleared up and i have not had any stiffness or anything in almost 2 weeks. Amazing. I know it will come back again eventually. but it was a great experience, almost better then what i am able to do myself

Now question is. I feel i might and should i consider doing this massage thing on a regular basis.
What would you recommend and how often to get one done? once a month good? or should i do once a week? i know it can be pricey? but maybe insurance can cover on this.
I am in Ontario, Canada. What should I look for when choosing a professional massage person?
I think all i need is a massage person vs Chiro. of course.

More less on neck and shoulders , back but also being athletic, cyclists everywhere else is probably good idea as well.

How often do any of you do a massage service?
any feedback on this as well
this is coming from a male of course, since i said it was my first time in a Spa on a cruiseship
Thanks
Old 11-06-16, 01:18 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I have a massage every few months and would have one every day if I could afford it. I have found it very interesting that even if no soreness is detectable, a therapist would find knotted up areas indicating tension. A similar effect is present when using a Fitstick to roll out muscles after a long ride. Even with no evident muscle soreness, the rolling out will encounter areas on legs that obviously knotted up and hurt plenty being rolled out. While the rolling out helps, there are areas that are difficult to reach and a massage by a pro is way better and effective. There is also the healing touch thing. A full body massage by a pro and a person you find compatible adds to the experience. I have found I respond better, for unknown reasons, to some therapists than to others.

Last edited by berner; 11-07-16 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-06-16, 03:03 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i would agree on this
Old 11-06-16, 05:46 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
Asking a question to people who get massages on a regular basis.
just recently while on a Cruise by Carnival I visited the Spa area. Did a massage for the first time ever. Of course it was professional, lol
Anyways the one I had done was a deep tissue full body with the focus on neck, shoulders, back. I often would get knots there. usually i do a daily stretches which helps, but always comes and goes. I dont think i really have any health issues, just daily stuff. as i do spend time at a computer.

Now after doing this service. IT was amazing. All knots cleared up and i have not had any stiffness or anything in almost 2 weeks. Amazing. I know it will come back again eventually. but it was a great experience, almost better then what i am able to do myself

Now question is. I feel i might and should i consider doing this massage thing on a regular basis.
What would you recommend and how often to get one done? once a month good? or should i do once a week? i know it can be pricey? but maybe insurance can cover on this.
I am in Ontario, Canada. What should I look for when choosing a professional massage person?
I think all i need is a massage person vs Chiro. of course.

More less on neck and shoulders , back but also being athletic, cyclists everywhere else is probably good idea as well.

How often do any of you do a massage service?
any feedback on this as well
this is coming from a male of course, since i said it was my first time in a Spa on a cruiseship
Thanks
I got trained to do body work, did deep muscle on about a dozen people during my training but found it too time consuming and outright fatiguing. During that time I was getting massages regularly, some with cash some in trades. It's a great time, but it gets expensive and you really have a hard time keep it up given work and family schedules.

So, great idea, but impracticable for most, outright addicting for some. I met some people that could seriously not function unless they had a massage every week, and that was somewhat scary.

I think training, style, experience are somewhat over-rated. Find someone you click with, and listens to you, and you're good; you can spend $100 for an hour massage and get hurt, or $25 for 20 minutes and be walking on air.
Old 11-06-16, 06:58 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Just something else to think about. I used to get a massage, primarily on my legs, once a month. Then a buddy turned me onto a Chiropractor who specializes in sports therapy. He does work for several members of the local pro sports teams. He charges $130 for a 15-30 minute visit, but he has been more benefit to my cycling than the masseuse ever was. He does what he calls active release procedures which really opens things up, will mix in shock wave treatment and even some direct acupuncture. Of course, results may vary.
Old 02-24-22, 12:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I used to go, every month or two. I'd go twice a week if I could afford it. if you can get a tiny person to kneel on your back, it's pretty amazing
Old 02-26-22, 01:45 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
I've never done massage, but I always feel 100% better when I do yoga regularly
Old 03-16-22, 03:36 PM
four20blackbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Massage is great! If you have time, you can check out foam rolling and myofascial release. I have a little lacrosse ball that I use to help with the tight knots in my legs. Second the other commenters about yoga!
Old 03-17-22, 10:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
fwiw - used my long handled massager on my sore shoulder recently. the whole area had a kinds of uncomfortable feeling due to an injury & some rehab exercises. it worked really well, almost surprisingly well. I often use it on just my lower back. I got it a long time ago as a gift & it still works even tho I had to replace the wire. I bought a new one but I like the old one better. this is the closest I could find to the original (my older unit is not heated)

HoMedics Compact Percussion Handheld Heated Massager

I think this might be the new one I have since stored away

HoMedics Percussion Action Massager with Heat

anyway, this is easy to handle & I have found it very helpful

similar older used units can be found on ebay like this one

HoMedics Dual Head Percussion Action Plus Massager