Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rivendell Atlantis or Vintage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rivendell Atlantis or Vintage

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-22, 02:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
I use the smidsy weave on my bike a lot for many reasons. I use it to show pedestrians in crosswalks that I am actually going to yield to them, which they don't expect in New York City. I think the weave not only makes me more visible, it also makes it easier for people to judge my speed.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-21-22, 03:41 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I use the smidsy weave on my bike a lot for many reasons. I use it to show pedestrians in crosswalks that I am actually going to yield to them, which they don't expect in New York City. I think the weave not only makes me more visible, it also makes it easier for people to judge my speed.
I do the weave as well and while I'm not above the occasional curb protected bike lane (sidewalk) I always defer to pedestrians.
Old 04-21-22, 10:09 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by kehomer
In 2007, I bought a Surly LHT 54 cm frame/fork and built it into a pretty good, sturdy bike. Found out later the the dimensions on the LHT and the Atlantis are about identical.
I bought a 1986 Stumpjumper Sport frame a couple of years ago and just recently finished building it to my taste. It fits really well. As some of you have mentioned, the Stumpjumper does have a pretty high BB and the geometry is laid back but I am an old guy and not in too much of a hurry most of the time.
Pretty funny. I was wanting a Riv type bike. Picked up a Rockhopper and preceded to "Grant out" on it. Was about to hit the button on a demo Homer from Riv, when a low mileage, very nice Cross Check showed locally. Checked it out. Was very similar to the Homer for a bunch less. I'm good! Like the 700c wheels. Ride is very good. All day comfortable and rolls along well....... Still may have to buy a Riv, just to have owned one. Not too sure I'd actually feel any real gain , except mentally...

Likes For gorillimo:
Old 04-22-22, 12:15 AM
heytchap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ricebowl
I do the smidsy weave often on a motorcycle doesn't make it 100% solid advice for a bicycle.
disagree. It’s a very smart move to do when navigating intersections or facing the possibility of someone pulling into traffic from a strip mall who might be looking past you.
Old 04-22-22, 04:14 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
The weave comes in handy in the cell phone age, atmo.
Old 04-22-22, 07:55 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
Enjoyed reading through this thread. Grant does write well and I always liked reading his stuff. Saw several Atlantis Rivs around town when we lived in Olympia Washington. I looked into them but the price put me off, plus every one I saw seemed to be in the "Big Bike for a Big Guy" Category. I knew Rivendell made small frames too, still, I doubted such a heavy, durable, build was really necessary for a little guy like me(I weigh around (140-142 pounds).

So I went the Budget Vintage route: Started with a $10, 1969 Raleigh Super Course from Good Will. Stripped it to bare frame, got a $220 paint job from Acme of Portland, OR (prior to their fame). Searching eBay for parts, for $125 plus $75 shipping, I found a NIB, Ross Super Gran Tour, a hi-ten frame built with Shimano Arabesque group that included their high flanged hub wheels. I stripped it to build the Super Course into a beautiful bike, with Nervex Lugs, which checked off many of the Rivendell boxes. I'll post a pic after I get back to Oregon on May 1 as pics aren't in this laptop.

Meanwhile, here are pics of my 1973 Super Course from the 2017 Clunker 100 challenge built with a similar but "Velo-Cheapo" approach:
For $10, a Coffee Brown, 1973 Raleigh Super Course frameset with saddle, taped bars, Carlton white hooded brake levers and good headset but minus the bottom bracket, wheels, derailleurs, brake calipers, shift levers cables and sheaths. For $20, from the co-op, I got a complete Motobecane Super Mirage with a broken headtube. It provided: 2 wheels, 2 derailleurs, a crank set + pedals, a blinky light, 1 brake caliper, used cables and sheaths. Additional from co-op: SunTour down tube mounted, ratcheting power shifters $2, 1 Weinmann 750 center pull caliper $5, 1 new brake cable $4, a free used chain, 2 used tires with tubes $10, derailleur claw $ .50 cents. From my basement shop: bottom bracket $8, 2 plastic bar plugs $ .25 cents. Total cost $59.75

1973 Super Course

1976 S/C + Super Mirage Parts

White Carlton Hoods + fairly new bar tape

Capella Lugs

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 04-22-22 at 08:59 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 07-01-22, 07:47 AM
heytchap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
this is my MB4 that I’ve been having a lot of fun with lately. I’m waiting for an OEM rear derailleur and an upgraded 7s rear cassette to be shipped to me. I’ve installed a Selle Anatomica X1 on it, some vintage almost-bullmoose bars, VO Grand Cru brake levers, OEM biopace shimano crankset, and some other bits and bobs.

I love this bike, it rides like a dream and it makes me truly happy when I’m on it.

Likes For heytchap:
Old 07-01-22, 11:48 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I paid $75 for the MB-2. That's a pretty big cost difference adjustment.

One place there may be a significant difference between the MB-2 and Atlantis frame is bottom bracket height. I've never gotten around to comparing that spec between the two, but I've been meaning to for years. The large MB-2 frame is a road bike fit for me and I feel very tall in the saddle.
another Bridgestone enthusiast
Old 07-01-22, 02:38 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
I wanted a A Homer Hilsen, then I saw their other frames. I'm really not sure what the differences are between some of them. My wife wanted a Betty Foy but they no longer make them, and their custom built page is gone.
I bought a tandem frame from them, then it got flooded in the hurricane and the fork and other parts were thrown out by clean up workers. At some point the new fork and old frame will be painted the same color and I'll get it built.

I recently found out about a frame builder in England, Richard Hallett's hand-built cycles and wheels , it looks like they build some things I'd like.
Old 07-02-22, 10:02 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,054 Posts
I appreciate the aesthetic of Grant's vision, and have owned 3 Bridgestones:
1991 RB-T that I rode from LA to Boston. Currently my buddy uses it as his indoor trainer bike and for foul weather.
1990 RB-1 that I raced locally and my wife currently rides.
1990 MB-0 that I explored all sorts of trails in New England. Then used to pull my kids in a trailer when they were younger and we didn't have (or want) a second car.

I *loved* all of those bikes. And miss them all (well, my wife still rides my old RB-1). The Bridgestone catalogs of the era were exceptional, and still fun to read & informative 30 years later.

I think "peak Rivendell" was about 10 years ago, but they have jumped the shark since then, IMO. The new models all have such long chain stays that they are almost cargo bikes. And after reading how much better Grant thinks lugs are compared to tig welded frames, it is sad to see them move away from lugs.

I never bought into the double top tube frames -and I am a larger rider at 6'04" 220lbs. I rode a friend's beautiful Atlantis with double top tubes. It felt sluggish and heavy.

Their latest insistence that "rapid rise" low norm rear derailleurs are so great is just wrong. I had a rapid rise XTR rear der that I never go used to. I had it for almost 10 years and hated every shift.

Finally, it seems off that a typical "Rivendell build" will have super high end seat posts and stems, but the absolute cheapest rear derailleur and hubs. Seatposts and stems don't do anything, but the hubs and derailleurs are arguably the most complex moving parts on your bike.

The only frame they sell that still interests me is the Rodeo, but for $2800, I'd go custom. Or vintage.

I am glad they are still out there doing their thing. But in a lot of ways, Surly, Soma, Crust, etc are doing the same sort of thing: practical steel bikes. And way cheaper.
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 07-02-22, 10:19 AM
m.c. 

Rivendell had their lugs made in Taiwan. They have moved Atlantis production to Taiwan, I think all of their frames are made there now. I assumed everything would get lugs. I thought that was one of the things they were known for.
I didn't pay attention when I ordered the tandem frame, I was disappointed it is not lugged. I don't know if was for structural or cost reasons. I am also disappointed it has a modern type threadless steerer, again I don't know if there is a reason it needs to be this way. I'm still happy I bought it.
The newer designs they have don't interest me.
Old 07-03-22, 08:49 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by m.c.
I wanted a A Homer Hilsen, then I saw their other frames. I'm really not sure what the differences are between some of them. My wife wanted a Betty Foy but they no longer make them, and their custom built page is gone.
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
I think "peak Rivendell" was about 10 years ago, but they have jumped the shark since then, IMO. The new models all have such long chain stays that they are almost cargo bikes. And after reading how much better Grant thinks lugs are compared to tig welded frames, it is sad to see them move away from lugs.

Finally, it seems off that a typical "Rivendell build" will have super high end seat posts and stems, but the absolute cheapest rear derailleur and hubs. Seatposts and stems don't do anything, but the hubs and derailleurs are arguably the most complex moving parts on your bike.
Originally Posted by m.c.
The newer designs they have don't interest me.
It looks like I haven't posted in this thread in like 7 years (oddly enough- about the same time I was TRYING to buy a canti-Homer).

One of the things that's always struck me about bicycles is the *minute* differences that will make something desirable or hated. (or maybe it's the minute differences that give an excuse to love or hate something). The tubing, the weight, the color, the decals, the braze ons, the wheelbase length, the range of tire size, the type of brakes, the build, the name on it or attached to it... I think at that time, the Homer was a thinner tubed sport/touring geometry and made by Waterford. The Sam was pretty close to the same geometry, but with more stout tubes and made in Taiwan. I wanted a Homer. I had my "stout" and "long" bikes covered; so I wanted a beautiful, relatively light and nimble bike I could throw a rack and bags on. I wanted that aesthetic with the Craftsman-esque lettering and color scheme. And I wanted it built with the Rivendell lugs and paint, and put together almost literally just down the street from my house at Waterford. I think this is about the time the Grant was trying to move everything to Taiwan- I'm pretty sure I was talking to Grant about getting a bike when the "custom" page disappeared off the website- and everything fell through- I was waving a stack of cash in my hand begging for him to take my money- and he suggested I buy a custom from Waterford.

Most of my bikes are touring bikes- I believe in long wheelbases and long chainstays- but as beneficial as those features are, they come with tradeoffs. When the Clem first came out- the comically long chainstays looked out of balance with the bike. And then those comically long chainstays went on every other bike; the Homer used to be the most beautiful bike- and it's no longer graceful.

From what I see on FB and stuff, Rivendell seems to be doing OK with this design/manufacturing shift- and I'm glad. He's got great ideas, a lot of his ideas about cycling are fantastic, he knows more about bikes than I can even pretend to and he seems like a genuinely good, cool guy. It's just this current crop of bikes doesn't follow in my own particular... ... idiom.

It's always interesting to see what people interpret as the "Rivendell aesthetic" by making their "poor man's Rivendell." Whether it's a utilitarian build with racks and baskets or with several different colors of ratty cloth bar tapes and twine hanging off it and contrasting nail polish touch ups, or a beautiful bike with a modern yet retro-ish flair to it.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 07-03-22, 09:17 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
From: Atlantis - Our best selling touring bike - by Rivendell Bicycle Works

"The Atlantis used to be built by Toyo, in Japan. All new Atlantis frames are built in Wisconsin. Quality is the same, highest quality."

Can you point to these incidents?

From what I've read, he's said the frames need to be as heavy as they need to be.

"The Atlantis frame and fork weigh about a pound more (combined) than our A. Homer Hilsen, a road frame. The extra weight comes by means of stouter tubes and a wider fork crown, and pays for itself in the extra durability needed for rough riding and load-toting. A pound is hardly anything, when you consider the weight of your body and between 16 and 21 pounds of parts, wheels, racks, and fenders. So don't let that pound scare you. There isn't an ounce of fat on the Atlantis. It's just a rugged, strong bike, and one you'll likely have and ride for the rest of your life."

So have you met him? That's the question.
The Riv webpage says the Atlantis is made in Taiwan
Old 07-03-22, 09:21 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
The Riv webpage says the Atlantis is made in Taiwan
The information was accurate when it was posted 8 years ago. I think everything Riv offers is made in Taiwan now.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-03-22, 02:34 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 227 Posts
It looks like I haven't posted in this thread in like 7 years (oddly enough- about the same time I was TRYING to buy a canti-Homer).

One of the things that's always struck me about bicycles is the *minute* differences that will make something desirable or hated. (or maybe it's the minute differences that give an excuse to love or hate something). The tubing, the weight, the color, the decals, the braze ons, the wheelbase length, the range of tire size, the type of brakes, the build, the name on it or attached to it... I think at that time, the Homer was a thinner tubed sport/touring geometry and made by Waterford. The Sam was pretty close to the same geometry, but with more stout tubes and made in Taiwan. I wanted a Homer. I had my "stout" and "long" bikes covered; so I wanted a beautiful, relatively light and nimble bike I could throw a rack and bags on. I wanted that aesthetic with the Craftsman-esque lettering and color scheme. And I wanted it built with the Rivendell lugs and paint, and put together almost literally just down the street from my house at Waterford. I think this is about the time the Grant was trying to move everything to Taiwan- I'm pretty sure I was talking to Grant about getting a bike when the "custom" page disappeared off the website- and everything fell through- I was waving a stack of cash in my hand begging for him to take my money- and he suggested I buy a custom from Waterford.

Most of my bikes are touring bikes- I believe in long wheelbases and long chainstays- but as beneficial as those features are, they come with tradeoffs. When the Clem first came out- the comically long chainstays looked out of balance with the bike. And then those comically long chainstays went on every other bike; the Homer used to be the most beautiful bike- and it's no longer graceful.

From what I see on FB and stuff, Rivendell seems to be doing OK with this design/manufacturing shift- and I'm glad. He's got great ideas, a lot of his ideas about cycling are fantastic, he knows more about bikes than I can even pretend to and he seems like a genuinely good, cool guy. It's just this current crop of bikes doesn't follow in my own particular... ... idiom.

It's always interesting to see what people interpret as the "Rivendell aesthetic" by making their "poor man's Rivendell." Whether it's a utilitarian build with racks and baskets or with several different colors of ratty cloth bar tapes and twine hanging off it and contrasting nail polish touch ups, or a beautiful bike with a modern yet retro-ish flair to it.
My spouse uses a small frame size, and Riv Atlantis uses 26 inch wheels. I got a frame on sale when the economy tanked and it was a no brainer from there. I have a Long Haul Trucker and its like an Atlantis: Heavy and stiff, only a happy bike when fully loaded, and then its a gem. My only take on this is a love of not throwing things away. If I could find a Schwinn Voyager SP in 64 cm I could happily toss the Trucker. If a person can find a vintage ride, adapt it for their use and learn some skills too, we are all better off. People scoff at the 'value' of an older bike if not higher end. Well, go look at new bikes with enough decent features and you are at 800 minimum to start with. That buys a lot of really nice components to make an old frame happy again.
Old 07-03-22, 06:43 PM
corwin1968

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
This thread popped up in my e-mail feed, so I thought I would comment.

For me, a Rivendell is all about the ride and that means geometry, more than anything. The one 80's MTB I know of that I think nails the "poor man's Rivendell" is the 1983-85 Trek 8xx series MTB's. Instead of copying the Ritchey geometry, Trek modified their touring bike design into a 26" wheel MTB. If you look at the geometry of the 22" Treks and the original 56 cm Atlantis (26" wheels), they are so close they may as well be identical.

I was fortunate to finally get a 1984 Trek 830. My main bike is a Hunqapillar and I can say the 830 is spot on for the Rivendell ride. In fact, I probably prefer it to the Hunqapillar, solely because I run max width tires and fat tires and 26" wheels is just a better combination for my riding, than fat tires and 700c wheels.

Other 80's MTB's were completely different animals.

Old 07-04-22, 07:54 AM
m.c. 

That is the A Homer Hilsen I wanted as well. I still want one and plan to order one when their new inventory comes in. One thing that is disappointing is that the new ones will have downtube shifter bosses. I don't know if this is done in the US before paint, do they still use D&D for paint?, or in Taiwan. Perhaps They can leave them off mine if done in the US. Otherwise to get what I want I'll have to have them removed and repainted which will probably add another year to the project.