Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Adjusting assist levels down

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-22, 09:39 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts

Put a 36v e assist on my recumbent trike and even on level 1 assist, the thing has too much ooomph for me to keep up pedaling even in my highest gear (88 gear inches). Apparently this can be adjusted in the software settings. I'd like to be able to provide some of my own watt hours on flats, with just a tiny bit of assist and be able to ride in middling gearing, like ~60-65 gear inches without spinning pointlessly. Then I'd like level 2 to provide enough assist to take gentle rolling hills. Level 3-5 can be at the power level they are at now, I will hardly ever use them, and if I do it will be because I'm not really pedaling. The guy who installed my system is going to walk me through changing the software but I was wondering if anyone had tips on what percentages or power would get me the results I want in 1st and 2d level. I don't want to keep having to call the guy to help me reset it over and over until it's where I want it, so would be nice to come close on first try. Any suggestions? If it matters, it's a triple with 11-28 cassette.
Likes For linberl:
Old 04-26-22, 10:15 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Put a 36v e assist on my recumbent trike and even on level 1 assist, the thing has too much ooomph for me to keep up pedaling even in my highest gear (88 gear inches). Apparently this can be adjusted in the software settings. I'd like to be able to provide some of my own watt hours on flats, with just a tiny bit of assist and be able to ride in middling gearing, like ~60-65 gear inches without spinning pointlessly. Then I'd like level 2 to provide enough assist to take gentle rolling hills. Level 3-5 can be at the power level they are at now, I will hardly ever use them, and if I do it will be because I'm not really pedaling. The guy who installed my system is going to walk me through changing the software but I was wondering if anyone had tips on what percentages or power would get me the results I want in 1st and 2d level. I don't want to keep having to call the guy to help me reset it over and over until it's where I want it, so would be nice to come close on first try. Any suggestions? If it matters, it's a triple with 11-28 cassette.
Might be easier to use the first four for the "low assist" and just five for "very easy". You should be able to bracket all the possible options in four levels, like 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, something very easy%.
Old 04-26-22, 10:20 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by 2old
Might be easier to use the first four for the "low assist" and just five for "very easy". You should be able to bracket all the possible options in four levels, like 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, something very easy%.
That makes sense. I don't know what % level 1 currently gives but I'm thinking about half that to start. It feels okay if i'm going up a slope or hill but 80% of my riding is on flats and I want to get some exercise and cardio out of it, lol.
Old 04-26-22, 02:54 PM
linberl

Adjusted it down about 30% and that works much better. You can't set individual levels on this one but just overall. Since I never use the top end speeds, this works out just fine. Happy camper. Now I just gotta get those "bent" legs.
Likes For linberl:
Old 04-30-22, 08:09 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
My Qualisports Dolphin has the annoying trait of being the type of ebike that has a motor/controller that goes to its max speed at any setting, but has different amounts of torque getting there. Hopefully you have a display/controller that allows you system to be adjusted better than what my bike can do. I'm planning on upgrading the display to a better model made by the maker of the company that manufacturers the system on my bike, so I'll have the ability to tweak this thing correctly.
Old 04-30-22, 08:59 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by tds101
My Qualisports Dolphin has the annoying trait of being the type of ebike that has a motor/controller that goes to its max speed at any setting, but has different amounts of torque getting there. Hopefully you have a display/controller that allows you system to be adjusted better than what my bike can do. I'm planning on upgrading the display to a better model made by the maker of the company that manufacturers the system on my bike, so I'll have the ability to tweak this thing correctly.
Still playing with mine. There are 2 settings to tweak - the total assist % and also the % of motor assist to PAS. This is my display. https://electricbiketricks.com/how-d...r-2-min-guide/
I'm going to set C3 to zero today and see what it does. If it makes level 1 almost no assist and the assist amount increases as i go up PAS levels, that would be ideal. But it may affect all levels the same. Makes me
miss my Onemotor friction system which really did work as a true assist, and let me get plenty of exercise with resistance based on the level I set. If it turns out I can't get this to work that way, I'll probably just start using
the throttle - although that will be really annoying - but it can add just a tiny bit of assist (as long as i don't hit a bump and push it suddenly). I wonder. if it's possible to change out the sensor? This one doesn't give a cadence
stat on the display which makes me think it just senses it you are pedaling or not but doesn't even sense how fast (obviously not a torque sensor) like some systems do.

Last edited by linberl; 04-30-22 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-30-22, 09:12 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
I'm looking at this display myself, as its supposed to allow a bit more adjustment. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264141765547
Hopefully you'll find a way to get yours to work. Did you check YouTube to see if there's a video that can help?
Old 04-30-22, 01:05 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
It's expensive (all their stuff is), but Grin's Cycle Analyst might be compatible with your systems. It has a myriad of functions. They respond to phone calls and emails.
Old 04-30-22, 04:20 PM
linberl

I adjusted C3 to zero. . Set the PAS to level 1 and I can "just" pedal in my top gear (88 inches) without spinining out or clunking. I'm just able to keep it smooth on flats. If there's a little bit of incline it does offer resistance and I can down shift and pedal and it feels like a good balance. So after one ride, it looks promising. On flats where the path slopes even a tiny bit down, I put PAS on zero to turn off the motor. Still need to explore other settings to see if I can impact things more, but at least now I don't hate the way it works. I don't want a moped. I want to add 100Wh of my own, at least.
Cycle analyst might be a last resort, right now I've spent a chunk of $ and don't want to spend more if I can help it
Old 04-30-22, 06:50 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Ahhh, you have the KT LCD3? I have them on our ebikes. To knock the power down, look at the C5 parameter,
C5=10 100% current
C5= 03 50% current
C5 =05 75% current
and the intervening values of C5 give intermediate values of current. You should see it respond immediately after change in the watt display, I'm not sure if this impacts throttle.

I set the C5 value so I can stay in PAS 1 and ride at a slower pace so I don't outrun my wife.We have similar bikes, but my controller puts out 20% more current so I have to even that up.

Another parameter is C14, the pedal assist strength.
1 = weak
2 = normal
3 = strong

Full manual here>
https://www.bizobike.com/uploads/5/7...ke-kt-lcd3.pdf

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 04-30-22 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-30-22, 09:00 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Ahhh, you have the KT LCD3? I have them on our ebikes. To knock the power down, look at the C5 parameter,
C5=10 100% current
C5= 03 50% current
C5 =05 75% current
and the intervening values of C5 give intermediate values of current. You should see it respond immediately after change in the watt display, I'm not sure if this impacts throttle.

I set the C5 value so I can stay in PAS 1 and ride at a slower pace so I don't outrun my wife.We have similar bikes, but my controller puts out 20% more current so I have to even that up.

Another parameter is C14, the pedal assist strength.
1 = weak
2 = normal
3 = strong

Full manual here>
https://www.bizobike.com/uploads/5/7...ke-kt-lcd3.pdf
Ok, now I am confused. All the changes affect everything, right? You can't change power for just one Pas level. The manual doesn't show a C14 (but thanks for that link!). Assuming i do have a c14 on my display, does "strong" mean the assist kicks in more and "weak" means therei is less assist? And somehow I screwed up the time on my main display, lol - I did not notice how to change it. Any idea? I'd just like to set the system so it gives a very minimal assist on level 1 and then more assist as i move up thru to 5. Otherwise, I'll never use anything but "1" and I might as well just have an on/off switch period, lol.
Oh, and if I adjust C5 current down, should that result in increased range? THX

Last edited by linberl; 04-30-22 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-30-22, 09:08 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Ooops. That link has an older copy of the LCD3 manual. Here's the one I use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EBO_KT-LCD3_USER_MANUAL.pdf (5.96 MB, 9 views)
Old 05-01-22, 09:47 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Ooops. That link has an older copy of the LCD3 manual. Here's the one I use.
oh, thanks! I will try setting 5 and C14 today and see what happens. I think the guy who installed my system already had me take C5 down to level 3, but I will double check. If he did, I can state that it made very little difference in requiring more effort, it just lowered the speed. Maybe C14 will do it.
Old 05-01-22, 04:50 PM
linberl

OK I set C5 @2, C14@1. It was a tiny bit better on the flats. But what I really noticed is when the battery drop from the high of 42v down to below 40v, that is felt exactly the way i wanted it to feel. It required more effort to pedal on the same assist level and provided more resistance.
I haven't taken the battery down below 39v yet, but it seems like the drop off in power is noticeable. With my friction drive system, it did not become noticeable until the very end, almost completely run out. it's fine if that's what happens, gives me a chance to actually go up a level in power assist as the battery depletes more.
Likes For linberl: