Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Difference in wheelbase (Canyon vs. Litespeed)

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 03:01 PM
ryan_g

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, I currently ride a size Small Canyon ultimate which has a 543mm TT and 385mm reach. I am looking to buy a Litespeed Ultimate, but seem stuck between size M and M/L. The size M Litespeed has a very similar TT at 541mm and reach at 380mm. This makes the Medium Litespeed seem like a perfect match. Where the Litespeed differs is in the wheelbase. My Canyon's wheelbase is 993mm while the Litespeed's is 972mm. So the Litespeed wheelbase is 2.1cm less. Also throwing me off is the Litespeed size chart which lists M as 5'5" - 5'8" and the M/L as 5'8" - 5'11". I am 5'9.5" and 32 in. inseam. I am definitely leaning towards the Medium since the reach and stack are very similar. Should the shorter wheelbase and sizechart be of concern?

Thank you everyone
Old 01-30-22, 03:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
My 60cm Scwhwinn Paramount had a way longer wheel base than my 59 cm Raleigh Competition G.S. The Raleigh felt way sportier to ride, the Paramount was more like a very stable luxury sedan going down the road.

They both fit me equally comfortable. But there are other things besides wheel base that affect the perception of how sporty or stable a bike is.

My current bike is a 56cm Tarmac and that is the lower of the two sizes I was between on the Specialized sizing charts. I wish I'd tried an even smaller 54cm in the same model that wasn't even in the recommended sizes. But the 56cm still fits me very well with just a stem change and narrower handlebars.

Should the shorter wheelbase and sizechart be of concern?
No.

Unless riding something that feels different than your other bike will make you uncomfortable. In that case you don't need to get anything but the exact same bike you had.
Old 01-30-22, 03:49 PM
ryan_g

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you! I guess what I am asking is if the wheelbase is only 2cm shorter, am I likely to notice a significant difference? I do understand this could make it more quicker handling.
Old 01-30-22, 04:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_g
Thank you! I guess what I am asking is if the wheelbase is only 2cm shorter, am I likely to notice a significant difference? I do understand this could make it more quicker handling.
Regardless of which one of the two you pick, either is probably going to feel different than what you rode previously.

Between the two sizes of the same model, it'll be insignificant. But if you could ride them both, you might describe the smaller wheel base bike as being sportier. But only in a very minute way. Not in a significant way just for that one reason of wheel base.
Old 01-30-22, 06:55 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Are you sure your Canyon's wheelbase is 993 mm? Geometry Geeks has it listed at 985 mm. Still a bit longer than the Litespeed, but more like 13 mm difference. Mainly due to the steeper head angle on the Litespeed. The Litespeed is going to be a bit quicker handling and slightly less stable. The M is definitely a closer match to your current bike in terms of fit.