Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Velocity Aileron Rims?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Velocity Aileron Rims?

Old 03-06-22, 12:18 PM
Bornco

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Velocity Aileron Rims?

Hi,

Is anyone using Aileron's on your tandem? We are considering purchasing them in 26" (559), but our wheel builder doesn't think they are strong enough for tandem usage. We are a 305lb team.

I contacted Velocity and they said they are fine for tandem usage. A search of this forum showed that some people are successfully using them, but there was one incident of a rim splitting. The post was several years old and I'm hoping for some updated info from users of any size.

Thanks,

Jack
Old 03-07-22, 11:31 AM
sdodd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Bornco
Is anyone using Aileron's on your tandem?
I contacted Velocity and they said they are fine for tandem usage.
It is interesting that Velocity OKs them for Tandem usage. When you click on their 'applications' tab and click on Tandem, the Aileron doesn't show up:
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/...cations/tandem
Though, it is interesting to note that the A23 shows up on the 'tandem' application page but not the 'Clydesdale' application page. I would think a tandem is almost always higher stress than a single heavier rider? Makes me wonder about the application page. And the Aileron 700c shows up on the Clydesdale page but not the touring page. (only the 26" is listed on touring)

I've never used the Aileron so I can't comment. I have used the Dyad and DaVinci V-23 (all 26") on our tandem without issue in 36 hole drillings & rim brakes. I typically build all of my wheels 3x with DT Swiss 14/15g double butted spokes. Tires on the tandem are Panaracer RibMo 26 x 1.25. We are a 350lb team but this is road only.

Are you looking for tubeless?

simon
Old 03-09-22, 03:06 PM
Bornco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I noticed the same thing regarding which rims are suited for which applications. I wondered if Clydesdale rims would work for tandems as well and then asked them this question. The reply was with the nearly infinite number of options, they don't list all possibilities. Velocity has been very helpful answering my questions, I have two sets of Velocity wheels and will soon be buying more. I'm probably going to go with the Atlas.
Old 03-09-22, 03:57 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You can get Ailerons with 40 holes. Have you already acquired your hubs?
Old 03-09-22, 05:31 PM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Did your wheelbuilder given any reason as to why they though the rims were not strong enough? It's not like they are an ultralight rim, and you are not a particularly heavy team.
You might also look at the Quills, we are using those in 650B/36 hole, and have no problems with them.
Old 03-09-22, 10:57 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by bwebel
You might also look at the Quills, we are using those in 650B/36 hole, and have no problems with them.
I tried building a set of quills for a 12yo road bike, wasn't that impressed and switched to the a23 instead which has worked well. Still have one of the rims floating around.

I'm running the Aileron on my gravel touring bike which isn't light even before its loaded down and especially with equipment. I'd bet me, the bike, and the equipment probably comes close to your team and bike combo and the rim has held up just fine with no complaints, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Old 05-05-22, 11:13 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Sorry for the late response, i dont grt on here as often as i used to. I beleive it comes down to a combination of tire selection, pressure and team weight. We have now had 5 ailerons self destruct on us. Velocity has replaced all under warranty. They told they have not run into this issue prior. Our first one came apart at a little over 1000 miles on the rear, 650b 32h running wtb horizon 47mm st @65psi. The second one was the front at about 1300 miles same tire.the third one was a replacement of #1 that went about 1500 miles woth a 42mm tire. The 4th was the front with the same 42mm tire. At that point the 650b rims where replaced with cliffhangers, much heavier, less aero but have lasted with no issue. The 5th one happened recently , 700c 40h 32mm schwalbe marathon supremes at @60psi. Made it @1800 miles. Failure mode has been the same on all and velocity says it is the wide tires putting pressure on the thin sidewalls.

Old 05-08-22, 11:49 AM
Bornco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, that's scary!! In the end, we decided to go with our wheel builders advice. We chose Velocity Atlas rims instead of Ailerons We have ridden Velocity Fusions and Dyads for years with no problems.
Old 05-08-22, 03:12 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Ryde Andra Rims are the absolute strongest and heaviest rims made.
Old 05-18-22, 10:46 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Many times the rims are not the problem. It's that the spokes are too heavy and not DB. We're running CX-Rays on our tandem, 36H, 285 lb. team, never a problem. Before the CX-Rays, we ran 14-15 DB.
Old 05-18-22, 04:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Our RANS tandem came new from Hostel Shoppe with Bontrager Mack and Clyde rims on Velocity hubs in 2010. Front rim cracked a few years later. Ended up having both wheels rebuilt by Velocity with Atlas rims (406Front/559Rear) on the original hubs. No problems since.