Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

components for late 90's Merlin

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 04-16-22, 11:46 AM
PDXZach

Bikes: Merlin Odyssey, Marin Fairfax 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my original post click here
hello, I could use some help or pointers for going to singlespeed on my Merlin see above link.
cheers
Old 04-16-22, 12:34 PM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 59 Posts
- What does the drop out look like? If it's vertical then you will need a single speed tensioner (or use the existing rear mech as low budget alternative)
- If it's a semi-horizontal dropout then you should be able to adjust the chain tension through it without need for a tensioner
- What kind of hub is on the rear? If it's a free hub then all you need to do is to choose your gearing of choice, add spacers onto it and line it up straight with the front chain ring.
- If its a screw on freewheel then you might need to change out the bottom bracket with a long or shorter spindle to accommodate a straight chain line with the rear wheel
- If you're going to be using the existing crankset/chain ring then you'll need to choose from the three chain rings to run (im assuming it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 53/42/37) and get single speed chain ring bolts to cut the slack

Last edited by acoustophile; 04-16-22 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-16-22, 05:27 PM
PDXZach

Bikes: Merlin Odyssey, Marin Fairfax 2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
acoustophile thanks for the tips, ill have to look into those suggestions/items you mentioned.. its more of a semi vertical drop out for the back wheel. rear hub is the Spinergy spox you can see ill need to add spacers to line up with the front chain rings or keep the rear cassette how it is and just pick one that lines up with the front. perhaps i should bring it into a shop for more help/motivation

Old 04-16-22, 08:45 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
If using the rear derailleur for the chain tensioner, can the H and L limit screws be adjusted such that the chain line can be further out from perfect alignment?