Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Cleat too Narrow in Road Shoe?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 05-04-22, 03:17 PM
Ana_r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I've recently switched to my first road shoes (budget friendly, Spanish brand Spiuk Rodda, with SPD cleats). Unfortunately, my right foot is been hurting me on the outside. Seems like I'm putting my weight there, instead of the center. I did bike fitting few days ago and everything else is now working except for this issue.

I've discovered that I have very large hips and changed my saddle to the 168mm Specialized model (wow what a comfort!). Could it be that I need my feet to be in as wide position as my hips? Is it even possible to do that? Cleats are at maximum but I still feel discomfort and pain after an hour of ride or so. Would a wider shoe do the work? Any similar experience or advice? Much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by Homebrew01; 05-04-22 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Fixed Typos
Old 05-04-22, 04:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Are these Shimano SPD cleats? If so, move the cleat to one side so it's away from the side that is bothering you. If you bought these from a shop, they'll usually help you get them adjusted right over several attempts. At least until they get tired of seeing you! <grin>

Possibly moving the cleat forward or aft might help. The alignment should have your toes pretty much pointed straight ahead. But I've had to adjust one foot to be slightly heel in and it just barely misses the crank arm.

Not sure what you mean by "cleats are at maximum".

Welcome to BF!
Old 05-04-22, 04:24 PM
Ana_r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Are these Shimano SPD cleats? If so, move the cleat to one side so it's away from the side that is bothering you. If you bought these from a shop, they'll usually help you get them adjusted right over several attempts. At least until they get tired of seeing you! <grin>

Not sure what you mean by "cleats are at maximum".

Welcome to BF!
Thanks for answering! Yep, they are Shimano. What I've meant with maximum is that I've already moved the cleat to the opposite side as much as it could go and it still appears not good enough.
Old 05-05-22, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Might just be the shoes. Or it still might be the cleat adjustment. While usually pushing the cleat away from the pain works to a certain extent. You might still need to change the location to give your foot a different place over the pedal so the part of your foot that you want to push with has something to push against.

If you can't find any relief from moving the cleat, then maybe some sort of inserts to replace the inner sole of your shoe might help.

Maybe someone else that has had some big issues with this and solved the problem might yet respond to your question. But again, if you bought these at a local bike shop then go back to them. They've probably heard the same from others and might know better what to do.

Might also be that you just need to train your foot to push more with the side of your foot that your big toe is on.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-05-22 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-31-22, 05:40 PM
aPpYe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
same
Old 06-01-22, 02:38 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I think I had the same issue. I solved it by going with wide pinned, flat pedals - DMR V12s and Five Ten shoes. The width and the pins keep my foot planted where I put it, and the amount of surface area reduces the pressure my foot places on the pedal (lbs/square inch).
Old 06-01-22, 03:49 PM
Ana_r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone! I just both another pair of shoes, which offer wide(r) model and they are made of very soft material, so I hope this will solve my issue. It was a journey to find it, but fingers crossed! I really appreciate all the answers.
Btw the brend is Lake, if anyone else needs it. There are some European sites with lower prices, so if you're in EU, give it a try.
Old 06-01-22, 07:35 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Maybe try these?

BikeFit Pedal Extenders for Cycling
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-01-22, 07:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Ana_r
Thanks everyone! I just both another pair of shoes, which offer wide(r) model and they are made of very soft material, so I hope this will solve my issue. It was a journey to find it, but fingers crossed! I really appreciate all the answers.
Btw the brend is Lake, if anyone else needs it. There are some European sites with lower prices, so if you're in EU, give it a try.
Give those a try but I was thinking the opposite. That perhaps what you are feeling is the shoe deforming around the cleat and not supporting your foot. I wonder if a stiffer sole would separated the force from the cleat and transfer it to your whole foot, not just right at the cleat.
Old 06-01-22, 11:23 PM
Ana_r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Give those a try but I was thinking the opposite. That perhaps what you are feeling is the shoe deforming around the cleat and not supporting your foot. I wonder if a stiffer sole would separated the force from the cleat and transfer it to your whole foot, not just right at the cleat.
Hm yeah I get what you mean, this will definitely be my next step if shoes only don't solve it.
Old 06-07-22, 12:48 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
usually if the shoe is deforming due to soft soles, the hotspot would be somewhere under the cleat fastening.
Besides cleat rotation (which usually doesn;t factor into foot hotposts as much as knee and msucle issues), the really key areas to look at is your 'stance', affected by knee/lower leg angle and ankle pronation/supination... some techy stuff, like canting.
but to make it a bit simpler to address. Q factor - you'll want to look this up.
wider hips, with a too narrow Q, often means too much pressure on the outside of the foot, and can create ankle issues
This is not 'catch-all' - too many factors - but a good starting point.
Since your have 'road' shoes, you're likely on a 'road bike', which for some has a quite narrow Q as std... Try riding any mtb bike (even in normal sport shoes). If that feels 'better' , then you might be well served with some pedal extenders, as noted by Bald Paul.
There are a number of various pedal extenders on the market, in various extension lengths.
They're not all $50/pr, many are quite economical and allow 'experimentation' (check Amazon and internet) for variety
highly recommend for those with Q factor issues...
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 06-07-22 at 12:51 PM.