Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Caden carbon wheels - cheap yet sweet

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Caden carbon wheels - cheap yet sweet

Old 08-01-19, 08:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
In general, there are better investments than bicycle wheels.

Maybe Zipp or Enve stock is a good investment. I don't know. But their wheels... no.

Buy them to ride, not to preserve wealth.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-01-19, 09:24 PM
gurk700

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
of course it is marketing, that is why the resell value is high, you can buy a used Zipp use for a year and not lose money selling it on eBay. Just try selling your Caden, prob would not get a single bid. So as an investment Zipp and Enve is just better, they keep their value down the road.
You are absolutely right that used value is better on those wheels.

Thing is I don't see myself ever selling them So kinda not a factor at all in my decision. Pretty sure a lot of people don't buy wheels just to sell them down the line... Maybe I'm wrong?
Likes For gurk700:
Old 08-02-19, 12:23 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Are there such things ?

"...$6k wheelsets,..."
Sorry, I was talking AU$6k. Didn't mean to say they're in the same league as Mielensteins. Is anything?
Old 08-02-19, 07:15 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Sorry, I was talking AU$6k. Didn't mean to say they're in the same league as Mielensteins. Is anything?
if you want your wheels to be aerodynamic, many wheelsets perform better.
Old 08-02-19, 07:38 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Oh yeah, those are like a totally old-school profile, aren't they.

Stiffness to weight, that's their forte, I'm led to believe
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 08-31-19, 06:18 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

So I finally got around to sticking my tyres on. At first I got a pair of Corsas in tan, which looked crap on my bike, too light. I futzed around having a go at dyeing them darker, which didn't work too well, so that pair are spares now. Got hold of another pair in anthracite, which looks the bomb. Should've been a little more patient in the first place...

So anyway, it turns out that peeling out the backing tape is far more painstaking than advertised. It's strong stuff, but it tends to start tearing from the edges, which is a bastard if you don't catch it straight away; you have to go slow and keep looking at both sides. Anyway, got the tyres on pretty straight (although it seems some degree of irregularity is inherent to tubulars). Now I have to figure out a neat way of curing the valve rattle. And wear in my pads a bit so I have a decent amount of gap; my old brakes are flat out opening far enough...

But damn, the bike is a weapon now. A bloody rocket ship. Haven't tried the aero since I still have to get hold of some lycra, but the acceleration is mental - it's like having another low gear or two. And the bike looks the effing tits.
Old 08-31-19, 06:25 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

6345g.
Old 08-31-19, 07:27 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Oh hey, I can't believe I forgot to mention the braking!

Way more bite than I was expecting. More than aluminum!

In fact, I'm wondering about less leverage on the front brake. (The rear is already a single-pivot.)
Old 09-01-19, 05:54 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by gurk700
You are absolutely right that used value is better on those wheels.

Thing is I don't see myself ever selling them So kinda not a factor at all in my decision. Pretty sure a lot of people don't buy wheels just to sell them down the line... Maybe I'm wrong?
If one were to sell their wheels, how do you make the bike go?
Old 09-01-19, 08:02 PM
gurk700

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Oh hey, I can't believe I forgot to mention the braking!

Way more bite than I was expecting. More than aluminum!

In fact, I'm wondering about less leverage on the front brake. (The rear is already a single-pivot.)
After a year or so on EE Brakes I installed my Decadence to my B-Bike (105 R7000 brakes. Nothing special).
They stop better than EE Brakes + aluminum wheels. No joke.

Duraace + Aluminum for me is always the ultimate combo but Caden wheels with their own pads are very impressive as far as braking goes.

Bike looks BADASS. Enjoy! I have a pair of Rovals lying around. Might sell them and get another pair of Decadence tubs with the money I get for them
Likes For gurk700:
Old 05-01-22, 10:11 AM
Jorgediaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am sorry to be the dissident voice, but I don’t believe these wheels deserve 5 stars for a sec, nor do I believe his claim that they are UCI tested. Caden has compromised quality and safety for weight gains as this has given him a niche in the market. My story: 50 mm profile tubular wheels bought only last year. Ridden in Belgian (relatively good) roads. Four tubulars have been burst in cracks/potholes in the road - the ones you can find anywhere, and in two occasions the rim was damaged needing repairs. UCI tested wheels should withstand rides in rough roads at times, wouldn’t they? No one riding in my club has experienced that issue. Just ask yourself a question before deciding buying them, why so light and why such amazing price savings on his website? Fellow riders, the only free cheese is in the mousetrap! Hope you learned from my horrible experience. Go for reliable brands. I rode FFWD tubular for 8 years without such issues. I have ordered my new pair of Shimano wheels. I am ditching Caden’s for good.
Likes For Jorgediaz:
Old 05-04-22, 06:40 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
I don't mind you reviving this thread as I am considering a pair of Decadence when moving my current sturdy but heavy Aeolus 35 over to the bike I am getting for my partner to replace her stock alu wheels. This would be tubeless not tubulars. The reviews out there are overwhelmingly positive but usually for clinchers/tubeless. I am also in Australia so prices compare even better than for you overseas people since we always pay a premium on anything coming in. That said, I am not too price sensitive if there are reasons to avoid.

Also, does anyone have anything to say about the decadence hubs that come with these wheels, I think they are 48 engagement. I can't find much about them.
Old 05-04-22, 11:54 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Strong first post from Jorgediaz there. Burst a tubular tyre hitting a pothole and blame it on the wheel? 🤔

I've got a deCADENce full-disc disc-brake clincher rear wheel. It's sweet as. Light and feels super fast. Thinking of getting a deep front wheel from them to match.
Old 05-05-22, 08:46 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by Jorgediaz
in two occasions the rim was damaged needing repairs.
You got the rim repaired? Any pics of the damage and/or repair?

And what do you weigh?
Old 05-05-22, 11:44 PM
Jorgediaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You got the rim repaired? Any pics of the damage and/or repair?

And what do you weigh?
hi,
i am 195 cm tall and weigh 88 kg. Within a year in four occasions the rear wheel burst 4 tubulars in 2 times the rim broke. Something really really structurally wrong with those wheels. Steer clear from them. Just got Shimano 9100 and it’s heaven. Have a pic however don’t know how to post it here.