Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much of a road cyclist are you, strictly speaking?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: How much of a "serious" road cyclist are you?
Virtually all the time
49.65%
Most of the time, but I have other cycling interests
30.50%
Occasionally - half the time or less
12.06%
Rarely
6.38%
I don't even own a bike - I just like talking about them.
1.42%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

How much of a road cyclist are you, strictly speaking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-17, 11:27 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
100% roadbike and Lycra, even when commuting or going unpaved.
Old 07-08-17, 11:39 AM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe half the time- for the weekend group ride and some commuting (high wind days, days when I take the hilly route or don't want to be out in the sun at cruising speeds). The rest of the time I'm on some other commuter/errand bike. Variety is fun.
Old 07-08-17, 03:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Maybe your post crossed with my reply to @CliffordK....

Yes, it is self-selecting. That was kind of the point: to quantify expressed points of view within this forum.

Meanwhile, I think there's a huge difference between saying one prefers something above others to saying one likes it, which is why, even as enthusiastic as participants may be, "virtually all the time" does NOT account for more of the responses than the remaining ones combined. I rather expected "most of the time" to be the prevailing response, and "occasionally" to be nearly as common as "virtually all the time." Maybe it would have been if I'd worded things differently, right?
I'm not surprised there are a lot of serious roadies out there. Most of the ones I see on the road look very serious. Even those that I pass while commuting Not all the time, I get passed too, but I'll catch those serious guys from time to time.

But it is also difficult to capture. I have a friend here on BF that rides almost exclusively for exercise. Mostly on road bikes, although he will venture to a MTB on occasion. Yet, no advertisements on his shirts, no foot retention, and I don't believe he uses Strava much.

Our total miles are similar, and I might hit a 40 mile RT commute when he hits a 40 mile RT exercise/relaxation ride.
Old 07-08-17, 03:52 PM
VaBeachTennis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One gets an impression from the nature and tone of the discussions here, but I figured what the heck, why not just ask?

By "road cyclist, strictly speaking," I'm thinking involves wearing the uniform (lycra, cleated shoes), riding a bike with drop bars, narrow tires, front and rear derailleurs, riding for no specific practical function (e.g., commuting, running errands, etc) except to ride, with or without others, with or without any fitness or related goals.

And by "how much" I'm thinking: what proportion of all your rides are "training" rides, races, sportives, group rides, tours, run-of-the-mill out-and-back rides, etc.

So, when you are riding, how much of the time would others identify you as a "serious road cyclist?" Maybe every time you're on a bike you're fully kitted out, either training or racing or hanging out with your training and racing mates. Maybe you like to participate in sportives and train for them often, but ride around the neighborhood with your kids often, too. Maybe you commute by bike daily, or ride mountain bikes most of the time, and only occasionally join group rides or just go out for a 40 mile loop in the country to clear your head once in a while.....
I ride around 145 miles per week, I wear shorts with a chamois under regular shorts and a T shirt. I also use what I call "stirrup" pedals or clips. I wave to the TDF looking guys and some wave back.
Old 07-08-17, 10:29 PM
ricohman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
All the time. All my rides are training or gravel.
Unless I'm racing. Then I wear my fancy kit!
Old 07-09-17, 09:50 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
All of my bikes feature drop style handlebars, I wear lycra and I ride for pleasure and fitness. However, I have several bikes that feature 700x32 (or wider) tires, cantilever or disc brakes and I ride gravel roads and trails several times a month.

I consider all of my riding to be "road" cycling, but my idea of "road" includes gravel roads.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-09-17, 10:37 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oh, you just didn't like the way I described the options. That's a fair criticism, but sounds like you could have easily chosen "occasionally."

As for bias, well, the whole point was to gauge how serious the participants here are about the type of bikes and approaches to riding that this sub-forum is supposed to be about. I have no interest in how serious about road cycling people who don't participate here may be.

As far as confirmations go, so far the poll has disproved what I suspected instead. I suspected that most participants were only slightly more interested in "serious" road bikes and approaches to riding than other types, and that this forum is busy because it just happens to attract an enthusiastic contingent of general-purpose cyclists. It may get a lot of traffic on that account, but it's good to know that we're not ALL dabblers, and that there are plenty of folks who OUGHT to know what they're talking about here.
I bristle at the word "serious" in your descriptions. "Serious" looks like this:

I don't look like that when I ride bikes. I look like this:

I'm on a road bike in Lycra gong as fast and far as I can, but I'm not serious.
Old 07-09-17, 01:16 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Probably 70/30 road and mtn biking.

When I'm on the road bike, I'm in lycra and shoes with spd-sl cleats.
Old 07-09-17, 01:37 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Every once and a while I get kitted up and enjoy a sweaty hammerfest, especially in hot weather. More the rule is I am casually riding with friends, spouse, site-seeing or running errands. I try to be friendly to others when I ride, obey the law, ride safe, light & bell,

... obviously in no way a legit roadie...
Old 07-10-17, 06:27 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv

I consider all of my riding to be "road" cycling, but my idea of "road" includes gravel roads.
If all the roads around you are gravel - then of course.
If you give up pavement to ride on gravel, it is not road cycling.

I had a similar discussion with the insurance company. Seems taking the published fire trail roads over the mountain is off-road because there are nice paved ways to do the same thing. I mean, I did, and nothing happened, but there is a difference.
Old 07-10-17, 07:33 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
I don't have cleats, I wear a pair of short over my bib because it's too revealing when I walk my bike from my office to the parking, oh yeah, I mostly commute but I do take some rides with my wife just for the fun of it but at the speed we're going, just short and t-shirt is enough, so nope, not a roady. Exception is when I do group ride for charity.
Well, have cleats now so may be 10% more roady than before?
Old 07-10-17, 07:44 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13712 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 2,505 Posts
I'm rarely serious.
Old 07-10-17, 07:45 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by redfooj
I don't wave back at people. Does that answer your question?
Obvious very serious.
Old 07-10-17, 07:47 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by ph0rk
Road is what happens when I can't find gravel.
There are paved roads in Southern Appalachia?