Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pandemic is changing our bodies - a solution

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-22, 12:30 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts

My wife sent me a link to this article.

For those who have been working from home...
Posture screwed up
Eyes going bad from staring at a computer screen all day
Vitamin D deficiencies from lack of sunlight
Brain going soft from a hermitlike existance.

I texted my wife back. The answer for me is the same as always - ride a bike, preferrably with friends!

Last edited by gugie; 02-11-22 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-11-22, 01:59 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Or if you can't ride because of snow/ice/salt, try walking.
Likes For leftthread:
Old 02-11-22, 02:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
My wife sent me a link to this article.

For those who have been working from home...
Posture screwed up
Eyes going bad from staring at a computer screen all day
Vitamin D deficiencies from lack of sunlight
Brain going soft from a hermitlike existance.

I texted my wife back. The answer for me is the same as always - ride a bike, preferrably with friends!
Wait till you retire with this crap going on, a mountain of "to do", daily additions and urgent breakdowns that keep you from getting a handle on any of the backlog, nevermind the front and center projects you thought you were going to have time for and the riding.

I was riding at least about 2 hours, 17 mi. a day to work, I'm lucky to get 2hr a week now, ef me.

You are absolutely right about the fix, glad the weather is coming around, maybe that will help.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-11-22, 02:18 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Wait till you retire with this crap going on, a mountain of "to do", daily additions and urgent breakdowns that keep you from getting a handle on any of the backlog, nevermind the front and center projects you thought you were going to have time for and the riding.

I was riding at least about 2 hours, 17 mi. a day to work, I'm lucky to get 2hr a week now, ef me.

You are absolutely right about the fix, glad the weather is coming around, maybe that will help.
Maybe the solution is to take on a part time gig at an LBS about 10 miles away.
Old 02-11-22, 02:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by gugie
Maybe the solution is to take on a part time gig at an LBS about 10 miles away.
Maybe, not happenin, I play even less well with others than ever now. No shop has much use for a grumpy old C+V hack.

Just need to prioritize the riding more.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-11-22, 02:28 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
The virus is a brutal enemy and here now, doing its best to beat us. That seems to be a fact. We must adapt to the new lifestyle demanded by this dangerous reality.

I could not ride last summer, thanks to severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my hands (actually, only moderately severe in the left hand). With that in mind, I walked(can't run anymore with a knee that needs replacing). Walking is not as much fun as riding but it does work. I actually found something interesting while walking - birds.

While walking the cottage roads at the lake, I had more time to look around safely and guess what? I started seeing the birds. I found the incredible variety surprising and started taking the odd picture or two. Got a bit lucky and snagged a really poor shot of a rarely seen King Rail(sorry about the poor picture but felt that I needed some proof of what I was doing to take the place of riding my bikes)...
Old 02-11-22, 02:58 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Maybe, not happenin, I play even less well with others than ever now. No shop has much use for a grumpy old C+V hack.

Just need to prioritize the riding more.
one thing I do is use my 'throw a leg over and go" bike with rack on it for errands. about 95% of quick car rides can be replaced by such bike.... it is not a super hard or good workout, but it is out and pedaling.

good reason for n+1 or simple project

by current is a 80 SR Semi pro with a simple planet bike rack, I put velo orange postino bars and techtro city levers on, cork grips, and because I had some threw on some tektro dual pivots. It has 27in rim and 1 1/4 paselas....which feel much bigger.

totally get the lack of commute, I really have to block time and get out at lunch since my commute down the hall is about 10 feet

Maybe getting into a pattern..... ride in the morning, work on everything else the rest of the day?

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-11-22, 03:18 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have been trying to choose bike over auto for errands.
Today, Bank and grocery store.
a bit slower than car, but with the bank run, stop and get coffee on the way back, round trip as no parking lot to find a space, walk to car etc.
A total win.
But most here know that.
MY advantage? Southern California. Today, 79°F
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-11-22, 03:22 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by squirtdad
one thing I do is use my 'throw a leg over and go" bike with rack on it for errands. about 95% of quick car rides can be replaced by such bike.... it is not a super hard or good workout, but it is out and pedaling.

good reason for n+1 or simple project

by current is a 80 SR Semi pro with a simple planet bike rack, I put velo orange postino bars and techtro city levers on, cork grips, and because I had some threw on some tektro dual pivots. It has 27in rim and 1 1/4 paselas....which feel much bigger.

totally get the lack of commute, I really have to block time and get out at lunch since my commute down the hall is about 10 feet

Maybe getting into a pattern..... ride in the morning, work on everything else the rest of the day?
I do usually piggy back rides onto errands and visa versa when close doable, can't get past not riding my good ride for those though so security is a challenge often.

But you're right, I need to set up a dedicated errand bike that fills the C+V need so I can utilize that scenario more.
Old 02-11-22, 03:26 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

I do usually piggy back rides onto errands and visa versa when close doable, can't get past not riding my good ride for those though so security is a challenge often.

But you're right, I need to set up a dedicated errand bike that fills the C+V need so I can utilize that scenario more.
under stand that also, one thing that helps me for using the good bike and being able to do an last minute errand or carry some thing home is this Osprey back pack https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00RZV7Y...roduct_details

of course it seems that it gets used mostly when after a ride I stop at a brewpub to bring some home

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-11-22, 03:29 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Lots of shorter ones. 10mi. keeps me off the busiest roads.
Would be boring with only one or two bikes.
Always cardio value in the climb home.

Hopefully, earlier starts on weekends (as the days get longer) makes for more open roads.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-11-22 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-11-22, 03:30 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Yeah it has been a challenge that's for sure. Not only those injuries you mention above but also the feeling of being trapped with those co workers in the house . Was lucky enough last year to enjoy a wellness program for mental and physical health called - jump on your bike at every opportunity you can and just ride. Moving meditation is what I would call it and it felt great.

Much harder since the winter started but being able to ride on the trainer helps somewhat. I won't lie though, there are some dark days.
Old 02-11-22, 03:38 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
If you can't ride 'em, wrench 'em! Beats the couch and the computer screen. One can always pick up a so-called "pity bike" and make it useful again if servicing the fleet has been done.

Also, Randy's solution is a great one.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 02-11-22, 03:39 PM
merziac

under stand that also, one thing that helps me for using the good bike and being able to do an last minute errand or carry some thing home is this Osprey back pack https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00RZV7Y...roduct_details

of course it seems that it gets used mostly when after a ride I stop at a brewpub to bring some home
Yep, great minds, I have been carrying a packable Eddie B 20L in the saddle bag since Christmas and got a smaller one too, I can get a couple of non folding tires in the big one.

Just have to do it more.
Old 02-11-22, 03:45 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by BFisher
If you can't ride 'em, wrench 'em! Beats the couch and the computer screen. One can always pick up a so-called "pity bike" and make it useful again if servicing the fleet has been done.

Also, Randy's solution is a great one.
And therein lies the rub, a big part of the mountain of "to do" is bikes, too many not straight forward by any stretch.

But you're right, very satisfying to accomplish any part of it and move forward.
Guess I better get to work on the Escape that thieves poked a hole in the gas tank to steal the gas out of.

Never a dull moment.
Old 02-11-22, 03:57 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I could not ride last summer, thanks to severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my hands (actually, only moderately severe in the left hand). With that in mind, I walked(can't run anymore with a knee that needs replacing). Walking is not as much fun as riding but it does work. I actually found something interesting while walking - birds.
I had ulnar nerve damage that eventually required surgery at both wrist and elbow 20 years ago. The surgery helped somewhat, but my left hand still goes numb and the nerves in my elbow act up by 20 minutes into a ride. So I installed clamp-on aero bars on one bike and then all my bikes. Now I can ride as far as I want with little discomfort.
Old 02-11-22, 04:46 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I have been trying to choose bike over auto for errands.
Today, Bank and grocery store.
a bit slower than car, but with the bank run, stop and get coffee on the way back, round trip as no parking lot to find a space, walk to car etc.
A total win.
But most here know that.
MY advantage? Southern California. Today, 79°F
Ha - today at my place -17 degrees Celcius, windy as all get out and close to a foot of snow last night. Get my drift! Burrrrr, sh_t, pooey-stinko!
Old 02-11-22, 04:55 PM
squirtdad

And therein lies the rub, a big part of the mountain of "to do" is bikes, too many not straight forward by any stretch.

But you're right, very satisfying to accomplish any part of it and move forward.
Guess I better get to work on the Escape that thieves poked a hole in the gas tank to steal the gas out of.

Never a dull moment.
careful with brazing that.....not sure if you should use silver or brass

Old 02-11-22, 05:14 PM
merziac

careful with brazing that.....not sure if you should use silver or brass
Not there yet, gonna try to patch it first, I've had good luck with JB weld and a stainless "patch" stuck in place with it.

I have a guy if it comes to the other.

Lifelong mech/tech/hack, just glad I can do it myself.
Old 02-11-22, 05:22 PM
leftthread

Well, at least Randy is a fan of walking in the off-season.
Old 02-11-22, 05:29 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Between the Covid shut downs, some unusually cold weather for our location, wife having the Covid plague the last two weeks and Parkinson’s related issues my cycling has ceased to exist. I can fully relate to gugie posted article.

ollo_ollo had texted me for a day of riding almost two weeks back, that was the day the plague showed up at our door. Both my wife and I are fully vaccinated, still got us. At least she tested negative this morning. 😁👍😁

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 02-11-22, 05:30 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
As a a school teacher, last (school) year was so much worse than this (school) year. Last year, I was stuck on Zoom, with a big increase in screen time, inundated with tons more work, aching back, and no commute. This year, it feels so much better to be back to in-person school, even with safety measures and mask mandates. And I really enjoy my bike commute--only about 4 miles each way, but it includes about 700' of climbing on the way to work, plus lots of nice optional routes home.

Old 02-11-22, 05:39 PM
leftthread

Meeting a riding buddynwho is usually on a recumbent tomorrow to walk and photograp stuff. Another riding buddy, a black belt from my martial arts days, have been walking with his new puppy. What a cool dog.
Old 02-11-22, 05:39 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
Wait till you retire with this crap going on, a mountain of "to do", daily additions and urgent breakdowns that keep you from getting a handle on any of the backlog, never mind the front and center projects you thought you were going to have time for and the riding.
I'm heading into retirement and my wife is afraid I'll be riding every day. 6 months from now when she's tired of having me underfoot, she'll be saying, "Why don't you go riding?"
Likes For Straightblock:
Old 02-11-22, 05:42 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightblock
I'm heading into retirement and my wife is afraid I'll be riding every day. 6 months from now when she's tired of having me underfoot, she'll be saying, "Why don't you go riding?"
My wife already for me to be able to ride daily, and I only retired last November😏

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.