Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting passed by Road Bikers while on a Hybrid

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Getting passed by Road Bikers while on a Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-22, 03:20 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
MUP = multi-use path
Thank you for that. I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with what that might stand for.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 07-08-22, 03:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Back when I was racing, I did a local training ride known for being fast as hell. The Simi Ride, they called it. It started with a straight shot down Los Angeles Avenue with a pack of 100+ riders going about 30mph on level ground. While I was getting the draft and still working my best to keep up, I noticed Tinker Juarez (world champion mountain biker) passing the entire pack on a downhill mountain bike. He had slick tires, but that's still a 30lb bike with an upright position! The point is, the bike only helps so much.
Old 07-08-22, 03:26 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipper_
Hi,
Are there Road and Gravel bikers who are slow, relatively unmotivated or even lazy? Or really old?
Yes. I belong to the SORTIE Cycling Club. That's Slow, Old, Relaxed, Taking It Easy. However, in my custom made SORTIE Cycling Club kit, I look really, really fast at the rest stops.

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 07-08-22, 03:28 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Here's a science-ish answer from the Kreuzotter Power & Speed calculator:

Thanks for this information. Maybe I am not such a 67 yo wimp. I have a big fat e bike with Maxxis Minion 26 X 4.8" tires at 12 psi, full 5" fenders, racks, full upright position with a backpack dog carrier on my back. Total weight tops 300 lbs. The bike is high rolling resistance and high windage. At 18 mph my battery draw is about 380-400 watts or about 270 watts or so to the drive train. According to this, I have to actually be doing something to sustain it. 18mph is a very normal riding speed for me on the road. It just seems like everyone else gets much better mileage than me.
Will I pass a roadie on my fat bike? Eventually but I like to give them their exercise by hanging back about a hundred yards or so. I have a fast cadence.
Old 07-08-22, 04:17 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Why the **** do people get so stressed out and butthurt about getting passed by another cyclists ??....It's definitely an ego thing
Ha... Ha... Well to be sure if you are ridding and I pass ya you better pause...

Or maybe its just a slow dance...
Old 07-08-22, 06:10 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
On the rare occasions that I pass someone, I ask if they are alright, mostly to make sure they are still alive.
Old 07-08-22, 08:59 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
You may be able to lease a faster bike.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-08-22, 09:27 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...you'd remember if you were bullied, no perhaps about it. I, too, get passed by an assortment of riders on e-bikes, many of which now resemble motorcycles, out on the MUP. Their common characteristics seem to be that the majority seem to be a little plump, they're all going 25 mph, and lately every darn one of them has one of those irritating little "ding" bells, that I can hardly hear. This is their substitute for a vocal announcement that they are passing me on a blind curve.

My solution so far has been to momentarily slow down, so they can get as far ahead of me as possible in the brief time we share the road together. YMMV
Some of the e-bikes are limited and don't have assist after 21mph. These riders may freak out if you get on their wheel. Also, if they are on a slight downhill you can blow right past them. They will pass you back on the next uphill.
I was climbing a dirt road and a guy on a Trek e-mtb came up and we chatted for a bit until he excused himself before taking off. I told him if I had my YZ490 I would roost him into the weeds.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-08-22, 09:35 PM
big john

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Back when I was racing, I did a local training ride known for being fast as hell. The Simi Ride, they called it. It started with a straight shot down Los Angeles Avenue with a pack of 100+ riders going about 30mph on level ground. While I was getting the draft and still working my best to keep up, I noticed Tinker Juarez (world champion mountain biker) passing the entire pack on a downhill mountain bike. He had slick tires, but that's still a 30lb bike with an upright position! The point is, the bike only helps so much.
I suspect it was a cross country race bike, probably under 23 pounds. I've seen him floating up Angeles Crest but always on a road bike. He just did RAAM on an 8 person team with people you might know.

There used to be a local Expert mtb racer who came to our Sunday rides on his cross country race bike. You may have seen him, or maybe it was during your hiatus. Anyway, he did the short Sunday ride with the racers and he could spin that mtb and hang with the group.
Old 07-08-22, 09:47 PM
big john

That's a great window into exactly what I'm getting at. It's all relative, but I sometimes think we're all racing, whether we realize it, accept it or like it. I actually think that's kind of the fun- good for that dude for going all out (I probably would have kept my Hybrid comments to myself) good for you for retaking him, good for both of you to be on the trail and getting after it. I'm 8 years and 5 surgeries past my earlier prime (am 51 now) but I actually can barely quantify the joy of being back out there- now on limestone as well as flowy MTB- it's amazing beyond words.
This post makes me happy. If you want to go faster with the bike you have the best thing you can do is get more aerodynamic.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-08-22, 09:51 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I suspect it was a cross country race bike, probably under 23 pounds. I've seen him floating up Angeles Crest but always on a road bike. He just did RAAM on an 8 person team with people you might know.

There used to be a local Expert mtb racer who came to our Sunday rides on his cross country race bike. You may have seen him, or maybe it was during your hiatus. Anyway, he did the short Sunday ride with the racers and he could spin that mtb and hang with the group.
It was a Super V, so full suspension back when he was still racing XC on front suspension bikes (1995). I did google it though, and the Super V only weighed 26lb. Forgot this was before downhill bikes got huge disc brakes and 6" of suspension, and that model eventually got an XC version, but I think long past 1995.

I do remember someone (probably Vic) telling me Tink did RAAM. He is an amazing athlete for sure.

Last edited by urbanknight; 07-08-22 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-08-22, 10:02 PM
big john

It was a Super V, so full suspension back when he was still racing XC on front suspension bikes (1995). I did google it though, and the Super V only weighed 26lb. Forgot this was before downhill bikes got huge disc brakes and 6" of suspension, and that model eventually got an XC version, but I think long past 1995.

I do remember someone (probably Vic) telling me Tink did RAAM. He is an amazing athlete for sure.
Yes he is. I think he's 61 now and still sponsored, or at least semi sponsored. He still wins cross country races against expert class racers.

For a time downhill bikes were close to 50 pounds but they have shed a bit. They don't have to climb, so nbd. And I think they are 8 inches of travel. I have an enduro type bike and it has 6+ inches of travel.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-08-22, 10:18 PM
big john

Here is a picture Ken took last month during RAAM.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-08-22, 10:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
Reminds me of the Seattle Tuesday night group rides back in my 30s/ Usually about 15-20 guys running at a fair clip trying to one-up on hill climbs and sprint points. A 50 attorney would join us on a full suspension, knobby tired mtb and would clean our clocks regularly. When we first met him, we thought, who is this guy on a mtb. He will be dropped in 5 minutes. Little did we know.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-09-22, 12:13 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
The engine...aka rider of the bike makes a huge difference for speed. My 34 lb Giant Sedona Comfot bike with its bolt upright position and cheap Kenda 2" semi knobby tires is quite probably the slowest bike in Giants fleet. I'm 65 and consider myself to be in average shape for a recrational cyclist. I would be very surprised if I traded bikes with a young athletic cyclist who was riding a decent road bike and he couldn't pass me on my own slow bike at will at any point in our ride.

Very much like cars and trucks, the engine makes a huge difference in performance. Consider the Chev Silverado RST Crew cab pick up. With a 5.5 sec 0- 60 thanks to the 6.2L V8 this big, bulky truck will leave most cars, including a bunch of so called performance cars eating dust in a drag race.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 07-09-22 at 04:11 PM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 07-09-22, 12:30 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Obviously, the OP is not R600DuraAce. Otherwise, he/she'd know what to do.
Old 07-09-22, 04:09 PM
big john

Originally Posted by seypat
He'd just dial it up to 400 watts, obviously.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-09-22, 04:21 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
On the rare occasions that I pass someone, I ask if they are alright, mostly to make sure they are still alive.
this made me laugh. thanks.
Likes For spelger:
Old 07-09-22, 05:09 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I get passed all the time by people on ebikes, e-scooters and uber eats.

Riding slowly helps avoid getting right or left-hooked sometimes.
Old 07-09-22, 05:16 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Originally Posted by big john
He'd just dial it up to 400 watts, obviously.
Ah, nostalgia. Let's not leave out drope the hamer. My favorite.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-09-22, 05:28 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
These days, this old guy likes to ride a mountain bike on the road. He will catch you, pass you, and disappear into the distance:

Dr. Eric Heiden

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-09-22, 05:51 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Hi,
I've noticed that I get passed by road bikers on my comfort bike and I'm pretty sure that when I used to ride a cheap Hybrid faster than I'm going now, they were passing me then as well.

Is this the lot in life for Hybrid riders, watching these hunched over, aerodynamic, well-kitted and quiet assassins overtake with seeming ease and then build separation on limestone trails, which are my favorite haunts for non-MTB related activities?

Can it be overcome by investing in items designed to make a Hybrid act like a road bike? Willpower to ride at the edge of Zone 5 and STAY THERE? A fitness margin over the average Road Biker? Going electric?

Are there Road and Gravel bikers who are slow, relatively unmotivated or even lazy? Or really old? I suppose there could be dozens of them not passing me and I wouldn't really know it. In any case, they aren't slow enough to be passed by me unless they have a relatively slow girlfriend, are a relatively slow boyfriend, are under 14, riding a fatbike, stretching by the trail, relieving themselves deep in the woods or riding with a large family.
Ask one of the passers by to swap bikes for a mile or so and see what happens?
Old 07-09-22, 05:58 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Obviously, it's time for an addition. I got rid of the 2013 (maybe 14) Sirrus Sport because it had ridiculous 700X28 tires and riding it was like getting punched constantly in the groin and hands by someone holding a bike. Thinking Sirrus X, Trek Dual Sport, maybe the Sirrus 3.0. Was considering a Trek Verve but I think that Specialized Crossroads covers the times when I want to be upright and don't mind twist shifting.

I'm a bit limited by some past overuse injuries and hip surgeries so I don't think a Road bike or Gravel bike profile is in the cards but I wouldn't mind reducing handlebar width and will certainly watch the mechanicals as you mentioned. I also think that gearing is important and big steps make it tough to really get into the right cadence, looking preferentially at bikes running narrower range cassettes, ideally something in the 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 range.
I've never experienced normal riding as getting punched in the groin and hands, but I've not had hip surgery, either. Have you tried wearing cycling pants with a chamois, or padded gloves? I've found they add a lot of comfort to rides.
Old 07-09-22, 05:59 PM
RichSPK

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
how about Sea Hunt? gosh TV was great back then
And McHale's Navy! TV used to be so nautical!
Likes For RichSPK:
Old 07-09-22, 08:55 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Recently did a mountain century on my 45 lb commuter bike with load. Sporting typical commuter features like fenders, racks, lights, pannier bag and slow puncture-proof tires while also wearing loose casual clothing. I even hauled a bag of cheap fruits and vegetables on the return trip.

I got passed by young riders left right on their weight weenie carbon bikes, wearing tight clothing. However, I actually caught up to them on the last 20 miles and passed them eventually. I was surprised and they were surprised as well. They slowed down quite a bit near the end doing less than 20 mph in the flats. I don't do centuries very often, more like only once or twice a month or none if there's no break in high summer temperatures.

Some of the riders I caught up with experienced tire troubles with their skinny tubeless/latex tubed race tires. It rained strongly the night before and some sections of the mountain roads were littered by sharp pebbles. So perhaps, the slow puncture-proof tires may not be slow at all if it's keeping you from flatting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.