Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for an endurance/all-road bike with new Ultegra 12 speed groupset

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Suggestions for an endurance/all-road bike with new Ultegra 12 speed groupset

Old 07-08-22, 04:48 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir

Canyon Endurace probably one of the most economical way to get R8100 groupset with a bike.
All round, this looks to be a quite good comparative value given the wheels and carbon cockpit. Cheaper options out there with wheels and other stuff you may find yourself wanting to replace.
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...aero/3367.html
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-08-22, 05:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Stack and reach implicitly reference the ground, as the ground is directly linked to the direction[s] of stack and reach measurements.
Exactly. I too was initially stuck on the truth that the bottom bracket axis and the top of the head tube axis are two fixed points with a constant straight-line distance between them which is not affected by the orientation of either flip chip. But the angle of that straight line does affect reach and stack.
Old 07-08-22, 05:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
All round, this looks to be a quite good comparative value given the wheels and carbon cockpit. Cheaper options out there with wheels and other stuff you may find yourself wanting to replace.
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...aero/3367.html
I actually prefer the cheaper, regular, non-aero version:

Endurace CF SL 8 Disc Di2 | CANYON US

I prefer the 50/34 cranks and I can spend the difference on wheels myself, unless I also need to spend some of that replacing the integrated handlebar and stem:

Canyon warns consumers, teams to stop riding the new Aeroad following van der Poel handlebar incident - VeloNews.com

I have no bike handling skills to speak of; I can just about manage to ride in a straight line most of the time.
Old 07-08-22, 07:55 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Now if it could just be purchased without any brand on the downtube since 'Yoeleo' is...well I really dont know what that is.
It's a brand name, much like Trek, Specialized, Cervelo, Pinarello, etc. Don't be a brand name snob. You'd be surprised at how many "name brands" are actually Chinese framesets with expensive paint jobs and decals on them.
Yoeleo, ICAN, Winspace, Elves are just some of the Chinese carbon framesets that would stack up against any of the "snob" names. I built up a bike with an ICAN frame and fork, Ultegra Di2, Boyd carbon wheels, Ritchey handlebars with internal wiring, and a few other goodies. It cost much less than a similarly equipped "brand name". I bet if you could somehow ride it blindfolded so you wouldn't be distracted by the decals on the downtube, you'd love it.
Old 07-08-22, 09:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
It's a brand name, much like Trek, Specialized, Cervelo, Pinarello, etc. Don't be a brand name snob. You'd be surprised at how many "name brands" are actually Chinese framesets with expensive paint jobs and decals on them.
Yoeleo, ICAN, Winspace, Elves are just some of the Chinese carbon framesets that would stack up against any of the "snob" names. I built up a bike with an ICAN frame and fork, Ultegra Di2, Boyd carbon wheels, Ritchey handlebars with internal wiring, and a few other goodies. It cost much less than a similarly equipped "brand name". I bet if you could somehow ride it blindfolded so you wouldn't be distracted by the decals on the downtube, you'd love it.
Ha, my main road bike has my name on it, my backup road bike is a quality steel frame built in '89 by an unknown contract manufacturer for REI, my gravel frame is from Fairlight, my old gravel frame thsts now commuter duty is from Black Mountain, and I just built a Brand X frame from wiggle for my oldest daughter.

I am hardly a name brand snob- most people wouldn't recognize any of those brands and I am quite comfortable with it.

I simply dislike the name 'yoeleo'. I am aware of how contract frame manufacturing works in the bike industry. I am aware some companies build for large brands and also have a marketed house brand.
None of that changes the fact that I just don't like that name. I don't know how to pronounce it and it means nothing to me. It's apparently a reference to the guy who started the company, named Leo. Name it Leostar or whatever else that's easier to pronounce.

Anyways, you missed the mark badly here. I have no issue with it being a brand from a contract manufacturer, I am hardly a popular name brand snob, and you picked the one negative comment I had out of a post that is otherwise very positive and supportive and ranted about that comment.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-08-22, 09:57 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
I simply dislike the name 'yoeleo'. I am aware of how contract frame manufacturing works in the bike industry. I am aware some companies build for large brands and also have a marketed house brand. None of that changes the fact that I just don't like that name. I don't know how to pronounce it and it means nothing to me. It's apparently a reference to the guy who started the company, named Leo. Name it Leostar or whatever else that's easier to pronounce.
"Yoeleo" translates to "Turbo Asparagus" -- who doesn't like that?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-09-22, 05:25 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Now if it could just be purchased without any brand on the downtube since 'Yoeleo' is...well I really dont know what that is how to pronounce it.
See? That could have been much easier.
Old 07-09-22, 05:44 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
There are two videos on the Yoeleo R12 on YouTube. Oz pronounces it yoleo. I got my frame in 9 days after ordering. The paint job is fantastic. The red is a highly metallic.

https://www.yoeleobike.com.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 07-25-22 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-09-22, 09:04 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
There are two videos on the Yoeleo R12 on YouTube.
Definitely not a frame for weight weenies: 1250g for the frame without the fork, seat post, or bars.
Old 07-09-22, 12:06 PM
DaveSSS 

Mine weighed 1050 for the frame and 396 for the full length fork.
Old 07-09-22, 01:35 PM
tomato coupe

Mine weighed 1050 for the frame and 396 for the full length fork.
Yep, and that's a lot for a size 47 road frame.
Old 07-09-22, 02:01 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Yep, and that's a lot for a size 47 road frame.
Some allowance for being a somewhat aero frame? If this is correct(?) a Madone SL frameset is 2.12kg:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rCode=bluedark
Old 07-09-22, 02:25 PM
DaveSSS 

Mine weighed 1050 for the frame and 396 for the full length fork. The bars weigh 400 since they are the H9 V2. H10 would weigh about 320. My regular choice is Easton ec-90 bars and zipp stem, that weigh 325, but they also cost $420 rather than $215. You shouldn't expect the lightest bike when you pay $1215 instead of $5500. I make up for it, weighing 133-135.

I've looked closely at the interior of the frame and it looks excellent. The BB386 bores were plenty tight on wheels manufacturing thread together BB. The cranks spin effortlessly.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 07-24-22 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-09-22, 04:37 PM
tomato coupe

Some allowance for being a somewhat aero frame? If this is correct(?) a Madone SL frameset is 2.12kg:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rCode=bluedark
Yeah, that Madone is also pretty portly. (At least the 2.12kg weight is for a size 56 and includes the seat mast.) The new Madone SLR is under 1000g (size 54 including seat mast), however, so it’s considerably lighter.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 07-09-22 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-10-22, 07:01 AM
DaveSSS 

The Trek website lists the new Madone frameset weight at 1.97 kg for $4200. It's not clear if that includes a seat post. Apparently aero trumps light weight these days. My frameset and post weigh 1753g with the headset bearings. The post weighs 247. The price without the integrated bars was $1000 delivered. The bars are $215.

​​​​​​
​​​​https://www.trekbikes.com
Old 07-10-22, 09:45 AM
tomato coupe

The Trek website lists the new Madone frameset weight at 1.97 kg for $4200
1.97 kg is the frame weight of the previous generation Madone, not the newest generation. The latest generation still isn't a weight weenie bike, but it has shed a lot of weight.

My frameset and post weigh 1753g with the headset bearings.
Again, that's pretty heavy for a size 47 road frame. But, weight isn't everything.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-10-22, 01:58 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
If we're talking money north of $6000-$7000, I'd want to test ride it. Not so much for the groupset since that's a known quantity, but to see how the frame feels, tradeoff between tracking stability and cornering feel, feel on imperfect road surfaces, and what is a major factor for me: power transfer... when you push on the pedal, does it GO? Basically, how does it feel actually riding it. If you can't tell any difference, then the answer is simple: buy whatever you get a good deal on, or like the paintjob if price is all the same.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 07-10-22, 02:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

The Trek website lists the new Madone frameset weight at 1.97 kg for $4200. It's not clear if that includes a seat post. Apparently aero trumps light weight these days. My frameset and post weigh 1753g with the headset bearings. The post weighs 247. The price without the integrated bars was $1000 delivered. The bars are $215.

​​​​​​
​​​​https://www.trekbikes.com
Interesting bikes at Yoeleo, but strange that all of their complete Di2 offerings are still only 11 speed -- at least the couple bikes I looked at.
Old 07-10-22, 02:14 PM
DaveSSS 

Interesting bikes at Yoeleo, but strange that all of their complete Di2 offerings are still only 11 speed -- at least the couple bikes I looked at.
I haven't bought a prebuilt bike in 30 years. You can always email an inquiry to see what might be possible. I'd build my own.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 07-10-22, 02:21 PM
DaveSSS 

1.97 kg is the frame weight of the previous generation Madone, not the newest generation. The latest generation still isn't a weight weenie bike, but it has shed a lot of weight.

Again, that's pretty heavy for a size 47 road frame. But, weight isn't everything.
In other words, trek just started selling frames that might be lighter than a cheap Chinese bike for 4-5 times the price?
​Get some facts on the new model and post that. Do you know that trek weight includes a seat post?

The top of the line Madone gen7 costs $13,200 and weighs 7.36 kg.

The Madone gen6 with sram rival weighs 8.03kg compared to my yoeleo at 7.95kg (with a hefty smp stratos saddle) and 200g more than my 2017 cinelli superstar bikes that each cost less than half as much.

Using rival FD and RD only adds 19 grams compared to force. I just swapped those parts on one of my bikes.

​​​​​

Last edited by DaveSSS; 07-10-22 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-10-22, 02:26 PM
tomato coupe

Yeah, the pricing on their complete builds isn't great. They list $5650 for a road bike with 11-speed Ultregra Di2, but you can get a Canyon with 12-speed Ultegra Di2 and a power meter for $6100. Their frames are pretty cheap, though.
Old 07-10-22, 02:52 PM
tomato coupe

In other words, trek just started selling frames that might be lighter than a cheap Chinese bike for 4-5 times the price?
​​​​
No, Trek has been producing lightweight frames for years. The Madone just hasn't fallen in that category for quite a while.

The top of the line Madone gen7 costs $13,200 and weighs 7.36 kg.
As previously stated, neither the Madone nor the Yoeleo are weight weenie bikes.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 07-10-22 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-12-22, 01:20 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Lots of great options in this thread. If I were going to spend that much, I would seriously consider a custom bike builder. Resale may not be as great, but you should get exactly what you want.
Old 07-19-22, 06:11 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
OP here... ended up getting a BMC Roadmachine THREE

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/intl...machine-three/

Best bang for the buck IMO...
Old 07-19-22, 06:47 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
OP here... ended up getting a BMC Roadmachine THREE

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/intl...machine-three/

Best bang for the buck IMO...
Nice!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.