Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ear protection when pumping tires

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ear protection when pumping tires

Old 07-07-22, 08:55 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I linked to it, and quoted you, in post No. 203.
Thanks. Somehow missed that post in the blazing speed this thread is going. That is indeed 145. Not sure which tire Larry is running, but I still wouldn't try to load such a skinny tire with so much weight. Those pressures work best on a nice, smooth velodrome.
Old 07-07-22, 08:56 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
I probably need an ear protection too but not for exploding tires. One person I live with always talk to me in very loud voice, it's starting to damage my eardrums and my brain.
Old 07-07-22, 09:00 AM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I have been pretesting new tubes for my 700c x 25c for many years with low pressure to screen defective tubes.
My last batch of Continental Race tubes 2 of 6 exploded which caused temporary hearing loss. First tubes that did this over all the years.
Now I wear eye and ear protection during test. Also noticed they have quality issues with valve cores not being tighten properly.
Likes For biker222:
Old 07-07-22, 09:02 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
The guy who thinks it's a "race" will feel pretty stupid when he looks back and sees the guy he thought he "dropped" has turned a corner and disappeared, totally unaware there was a race going on.
I doubt somebody who believes "It only takes 1 person to decide its a race" is really going to be bothered by this.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-07-22, 09:05 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
We all lose sometimes and I lost to heavy hitters. Heck after the ride yesterday I rode home with this gal Linda Jackson (cyclist) - Wikipedia. I mean sure she is lowkey old and washed up now but still, if she trained a bit shed probably smoke us on any race over 100 miles. Nothing wrong with losing to faster people. It makes you stronger
I didn’t realize this casual group ride included a “washed up” 63-year-old woman. That really puts your losing effort in perspective.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-07-22, 09:05 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by biker222
I have been pretesting new tubes for my 700c x 25c for many years with low pressure to screen defective tubes.
My last batch of Continental Race tubes 2 of 6 exploded which caused temporary hearing loss. First tubes that did this over all the years.
Now I wear eye and ear protection during test. Also noticed they have quality issues with valve cores not being tighten properly.
Gotta protect the ears... at work a few months ago I was filling a dewar with liquid nitrogen, and the only PPE I opted for was earmuffs (not required.) My manager happened to come outside and came up behind me and put a face shield on me and handed me the cryo gloves (very much required.) was kind of funny.
Old 07-07-22, 09:07 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I didn’t realize this casual group ride included a “washed up” 63-year-old woman. That really puts your losing effort in perspective.
Shes one of the best of her time... world class...
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
I doubt somebody who believes "It only takes 1 person to decide its a race" is really going to be bothered by this.
The solution is to never look back. That other guy might still be back there!
tomato coupe

Gotta protect the ears... at work a few months ago I was filling a dewar with liquid nitrogen, and the only PPE I opted for was earmuffs (not required.) My manager happened to come outside and came up behind me and put a face shield on me and handed me the cryo gloves (very much required.) was kind of funny.
Sounds hilarious.
Old 07-07-22, 09:08 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
This thread is like a rewrite of Alice in Wonderland.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-07-22, 09:08 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Larry is such a gift to this forum.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-07-22, 09:10 AM
tomato coupe

Shes one of the best of her time... world class...
But, an expert bike racer told us she was washed up …
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-07-22, 09:13 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Larry is such a gift to this forum.
Gift?

I'm trying to figure out why anyone reply's to him or CheGiant.
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-07-22, 09:25 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Actually, I've seen it happen. Yes, the manufacturers put a little buffer in there, but you're running right at that limit, and piling on more weight is going to increase that (what do you think happens to a tire's pressure when you put more weight onto it?). The cases I have seen claimed pressures between 130 and 150, and most of the time they heard the BANG! (hope you have your ear protection on while riding) and rolled to a stop and change their tube (those usually have huge tears over an inch long, BTW). One of them, on the other hand, was rounding a curve and ended up hitting the guardrail and woke up in the hospital later that day.
Do you suspect the tube started to poke through the tire and burst on the rim? Honestly people used to ride with high pressures (genejocky said he ran 140 on 23s and he is a big boy only like 40 lbs lighter than me.) Im skeptical that im unable to safely ride 23s or 25s at relatively high pressures. Like sure, the ride quality might suffer, I might even be slower if Big Gravel is right, but being inherently dangerous? There must be things I can do to lessen the chances of failure, even if im pushing the envelope on tire pressure. I was under the impression that once a wheel has been rolling for several miles I can assume the tire is seated properly and im ok to trust my equipment until the tire starts showing obvious wear.
Old 07-07-22, 09:25 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by prj71
Gift?

I'm trying to figure out why anyone reply's to him or CheGiant.
Same reason we respond to half the threads in this forum: to feel morally and intellectually superior to a bunch of strangers. Now to log off the forum and straighten the frames with my MA of Armchair Engineering and PhD in Social Media Psychology.
Old 07-07-22, 09:27 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
The guy who thinks it's a "race" will feel pretty stupid when he looks back and sees the guy he thought he "dropped" has turned a corner and disappeared, totally unaware there was a race going on.
Nah im just genuinely happy that they unwittingly pushed me to race, made my ride more interesting. Always a pleasure to have company on the commute even if they are a shadow behind/ahead that i never interact with
Old 07-07-22, 09:38 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Do you suspect the tube started to poke through the tire and burst on the rim? Honestly people used to ride with high pressures (genejocky said he ran 140 on 23s and he is a big boy only like 40 lbs lighter than me.) Im skeptical that im unable to safely ride 23s or 25s at relatively high pressures. Like sure, the ride quality might suffer, I might even be slower if Big Gravel is right, but being inherently dangerous? There must be things I can do to lessen the chances of failure, even if im pushing the envelope on tire pressure. I was under the impression that once a wheel has been rolling for several miles I can assume the tire is seated properly and im ok to trust my equipment until the tire starts showing obvious wear.
I actually liked Road Fan 's explanation about the tube creeping into a small gap (the tire can peel away slightly when cornering hard or hitting a bump).

I do remember when many people ran high pressure in their tires racing in the 90's (although they were lighter and didn't carry groceries), but that's also where I saw the big blowouts I mentioned earlier. So in all honestly, you'll probably be fine, but failures could happen. Then again, things could happen at any pressure, on any size tire, etc. My only tire failure related crash was after hitting an uneven crack on the pavement that managed to unseat both of my tires. I had no idea it happened until I took a turn and the bike just slid out from under me. I was running 23mm with 120 psi in them (this was back when I ran exactly what the max was on the sidewall) and weighed 125lb. Stuff happens.
Old 07-07-22, 09:39 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You have to give them The Look, then drope the hamer and dial it up to 400W (Any BF phrases I missed?)
Gotta go until your guads are screaming and/or until something made of crabon assplodes.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-07-22, 10:01 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

In response to your actual question, it would be fascinating to measure the decibel level of such a blowout. The closest I could find on the internet was a car tire which apparently is about 88dB from 50 feet away. Instant hearing loss occurs at about 130dB and a tire blowout is definitely not a sustained sound, so you'd need to reach that to have a true need for hearing protection.

Anybody got a decibel meter and want to purposely wreck some tubes?
Old 07-07-22, 10:27 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You think it's smart to run the experiment to determine just how large that "extra safety" is?
Experiment?

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Ever hear of metal fatigue? Just because you're getting away with it so far doesn't mean you aren't pushing towards failure.
So you must be riding those new fangled aluminum rims that don't experience metal fatigue? Can you turn me on to those?
Old 07-07-22, 10:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Lance never carried a spare tube

You aren't Lance. Actually, neither was Lance.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-07-22, 10:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Sounds like your employer's EHS department is not doing its job training workers in proper use of PPE.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-07-22, 10:50 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That was what I thought when you made it.

Of course. However, assuming you know what that factor is is a game for fools. Plus, it's not just the possibility of the rim blowing apart. They're also telling you that you can trust the hook to hold a bead up to that pressure. They're also telling you NOT to trust the hook to hold a bead above that pressure.
My point isn't about comparing the thickness of a bicycle rim to the thickness of a boiler (you'd be surprised how thin the metal is, relatively speaking), or about the relative pressures. Although that's all you guys seem able to focus on.

As I said, it's about the safety factors the manufactures build into their products. In the case of locomotive boilers, they were routinely proof-tested to four times their MAWP. So in the case of our steam locomotive, the calculated bursting pressure would be about 760 PSI. We never even get CLOSE to that pressure.

Do you really think a rim manufacturer is going to actually put the fail pressure on its rim? Would the lawyers allow that? Or do you think it's more likely that a company like Mavic (whose rims I use, and which did not have a "max" pressure sticker on them when manufactured), would maybe make their rim's failure pressure a little higher than the max? Maybe even 2 times, if not more?
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-07-22, 10:51 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Nah im just genuinely happy that they unwittingly pushed me to race, made my ride more interesting. Always a pleasure to have company on the commute even if they are a shadow behind/ahead that i never interact with
Most or all of use other riders for motivation - that guy 100 yards ahead, you speed up to try and catch him. But that's not racing, that's just motivating yourself. If you catch him and pass him, it proves nothing about the two of you. You can feel good about the extra effort you put in, but you didn't 'beat' him, you didn't 'win', anymore than an e-bike 'wins' when it passes you on a hill.

It's only a race if everyone agrees it's a race. I mean, for decades here we've made fun of riders who think they 'beat' some pro or other because they passed them one time when the pro might have been on a recovery ride.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-07-22, 10:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Experiment?

So you must be riding those new fangled aluminum rims that don't experience metal fatigue? Can you turn me on to those?

You're postulating a "safety" factor over the recommended max of some size. If you don't really know what that factor is (if indeed it does exist), any time you exceed the spec, you are testing that.

Missed the point on the metal fatigue thing, I see. You were claiming "so far, so good". My point is you really don't know that because you may be accelerating metal fatigue or creating some that wouldn't otherwise occur. Your answer to that is other things can cause metal fatigue, I guess, and that's a profoundly stupid answer.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to be near your steam engine, btw. What you write about running that over spec has the "famous last words" ring to it.
https://allthatsinteresting.com/gene...im%20instantly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.