Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 01:11 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by SBUndefeated201
Thanks to Wens and Carleton. I wasn't sure if piece by piece upgrades were beneficial (more expensive but less spending at one time) or if just buying a whole new bike was the better way to go. Thanks for the valuable advice.
No problem. Glad to help.

Go to bike shops and try several on for size. Get them to take a photo of you from the side when you are in the drops. Take note of the sizes and look up the geometries when you get home. You can do this over several weeks/months as you save money. Keep a log of all of this. Nerd out on it

The most common mistake that newbies make is to buy a bike with a top tube that is too short. I did it. I even had a custom frame made with a top tube that was too short.

The mistake that a lot of people make is to pick a bike that is comfortable for riding around town in an upright position. But, when we race, we need to lay our backs down. Especially on the track. Being that the races are so short, for 1-15 minutes we can endure positions that would be uncomfortable during a 2hr road ride.

You don't have to be super aero. Just be sure not to be upright.
Old 01-12-15, 09:42 PM
SBUndefeated201

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

Go to bike shops and try several on for size. Get them to take a photo of you from the side when you are in the drops. Take note of the sizes and look up the geometries when you get home. You can do this over several weeks/months as you save money. Keep a log of all of this. Nerd out on it

The most common mistake that newbies make is to buy a bike with a top tube that is too short. I did it. I even had a custom frame made with a top tube that was too short.

The mistake that a lot of people make is to pick a bike that is comfortable for riding around town in an upright position. But, when we race, we need to lay our backs down. Especially on the track. Being that the races are so short, for 1-15 minutes we can endure positions that would be uncomfortable during a 2hr road ride.

Will do. Only been riding fixed and on the velodrome (and cycling in general) for 6 or 7 months. Constantly learning new things from you guys and experienced racers at the track.
Old 01-13-15, 07:06 AM
sergioflorez

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
im looking at a replacement crankset for my miche advanced. i'm considering the affordable omnium a length longer 172.5. i'm curious about the fsa isis track crankset. i don't mind bling.

not really a question tho.

anybody here use the fsa track crankset? what do you think about it?

Last edited by sergioflorez; 01-13-15 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-13-15, 07:41 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by sergioflorez
im looking at a replacement crankset for my miche advanced. i'm considering the affordable omnium a length longer 172.5. i'm curious about the fsa isis track crankset. i don't mind bling.
No one uses FSA track cranks. Not sure why, but those who had them replaced them.

If you don't mind bling, go for Dura Ace. They are the standard that all are compared to.
Old 01-13-15, 09:18 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DA cranks are so last season.

Is there a clever way to mount a garmin under the seat like the SRM? We can't race with them in front of us and its a bit annoying to have it in the pocket, so I would rather just throw it under the seat and forget about it.
Old 01-13-15, 10:09 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by gtrob
DA cranks are so last season.

Is there a clever way to mount a garmin under the seat like the SRM? We can't race with them in front of us and its a bit annoying to have it in the pocket, so I would rather just throw it under the seat and forget about it.
https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycl...dle-mount.html
Old 01-13-15, 12:35 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do I have my thinking totally backwards? On the road, crit riders and sprinter types usually go for smaller frames(I'm 6'2" and ride a 56 comfortably) for added stiffness and the likely non-existent aero benefits. On the track, they should maybe go up a size? I always thought they would follow similar logic
Old 01-13-15, 12:44 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Do I have my thinking totally backwards? On the road, crit riders and sprinter types usually go for smaller frames(I'm 6'2" and ride a 56 comfortably) for added stiffness and the likely non-existent aero benefits. On the track, they should maybe go up a size? I always thought they would follow similar logic
Yes, your thinking is backwards

1) You don't pick a frame size smaller to make it stiffer. You buy a stiffer frame that fits.
2) If you are 6'2", your bike is too small. Period. You should be on a 59 or 61cm, probably.

This is exactly why I suggested that you take pics of yourself on bikes of various sizes
Old 01-13-15, 01:30 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, your thinking is backwards

1) You don't pick a frame size smaller to make it stiffer. You buy a stiffer frame that fits.
2) If you are 6'2", your bike is too small. Period. You should be on a 59 or 61cm, probably.

This is exactly why I suggested that you take pics of yourself on bikes of various sizes
OK, still trying to wrap my head around this. What makes it not fit? If I can make power, it handles well, and doesn't make my neck/back hurt then I should be fine right?

For example on the road, Andre Greipel who's just over 6' rides a size small frame.
Old 01-13-15, 02:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
OK, still trying to wrap my head around this. What makes it not fit? If I can make power, it handles well, and doesn't make my neck/back hurt then I should be fine right?

For example on the road, Andre Greipel who's just over 6' rides a size small frame.
1) For every person you name that rides a frame that is too small, I can name 10 that are riding one that fits.

2) It's about balance, aerodynamics, handling.

3) Bikes come in 2cm increments for a reason. Think about that for a minute. Why do bikes not come in like 2 sizes instead of 5 or 6?

4) You are a taller human than most. It stands to reason that you'd ride a taller/longer bike.

5) Put your bike in a trainer or simply lean against a wall and take a photo of yourself in a sprint position. Compare that photo to track racers that you admire.
Old 01-13-15, 02:58 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) For every person you name that rides a frame that is too small, I can name 10 that are riding one that fits.

2) It's about balance, aerodynamics, handling.

3) Bikes come in 2cm increments for a reason. Think about that for a minute. Why do bikes not come in like 2 sizes instead of 5 or 6?

4) You are a taller human than most. It stands to reason that you'd ride a taller/longer bike.

5) Put your bike in a trainer or simply lean against a wall and take a photo of yourself in a sprint position. Compare that photo to track racers that you admire.
Thanks. Like I said, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this as I'm super new to the track and fairly new to racing bikes overall. I'll give the picture method a try and see how it looks.
Old 01-13-15, 06:45 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
crank

im looking at a replacement crankset for my miche advanced. i'm considering the affordable omnium a length longer 172.5.

i'm curious about the fsa isis track crankset.

What is wrong with your Miche? Don't like the BB?
https://www.philwood.com/products/bbpages/ssbb.php#
Bottom Bracket Axle Talent Titanium, bearings, spacer, cups

FSA Made 3 decent track cranksets.

Vigorelli
Carbon Pro Track
Carbon track

Lots of reasons trackkies do not use them...

carbon spider
isis bb
fitment
etc...
Old 01-13-15, 09:33 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Also these: Home - RaceWare Direct
Old 01-13-15, 11:28 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkWW
While perfect, Im getting sick of buying things for what feels like 10 times their worth. Even the kedge on the handle bar, they are like $45 here and are about $0.10 of material. At least make it carbon fiber if you want me to think its worth more than it is!
Old 01-14-15, 01:47 AM
carleton
Elitist

While perfect, Im getting sick of buying things for what feels like 10 times their worth. Even the kedge on the handle bar, they are like $45 here and are about $0.10 of material. At least make it carbon fiber if you want me to think its worth more than it is!
I'm sure you could rig something up using the bracket that came with it if you thought about it for a while.

Also, it doesn't have to be under the saddle. Just somewhere where you can't see it.

Maybe where the seat stays meet the seat tube.

Last edited by carleton; 01-14-15 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-14-15, 02:54 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I had the earlier model which came stock with my Fuji (RIP). Personally found them fine but hadn't ridden other track cranks to compare.

Only swapped out as I went with an SRM.

Old 01-14-15, 03:00 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Number of riders here just use a stem mount on the seat post = though that won't work with the Cervelo's aero post... Surely you could McGuyver something up? Perhaps a piece of plactic pipe with slots either end to fit across the saddle rails (held on with zip ties) and use the stem mount on that?
Old 01-14-15, 09:27 AM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think so, I haven't really attempted it yet. Ill post back what I come up with anyway
Old 01-14-15, 09:37 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Dalai
Number of riders here just use a stem mount on the seat post = though that won't work with the Cervelo's aero post... Surely you could McGuyver something up? Perhaps a piece of plactic pipe with slots either end to fit across the saddle rails (held on with zip ties) and use the stem mount on that?
I love projects like this.
Old 01-14-15, 12:28 PM
slindell

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
1" aluminum bar zip tied to the saddle rails. 2 cuts (angled to match rail angle) and some drilling for the zip ties - total about 10-15 minutes. I drill extra holes to allow zip tying the garmin mount to keep it more secure. Credit for the idea goes to Portland.
Old 01-14-15, 01:29 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is too simple, but I have found that electrical tape of any color across the screen of the Garmin makes the officials happy as clams.
Old 01-14-15, 02:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by rensho3
I know this is too simple, but I have found that electrical tape of any color across the screen of the Garmin makes the officials happy as clams.
I agree! I really think we are over-thinking this one.

As I mentioned in the thread linked above, a buddy of mine raced Masters Pan-Ams and Masters Worlds with tape over his SRM screen and wasn't hassled at those strict world-level UCI events.

Tip: Use Gaffer's Tape. It's easy to tear with fingers and doesn't leave glue behind like other tapes. Available at art supply stores.
Old 01-14-15, 07:27 PM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

put my kedge mount on my seat post. only because it wouldn't fit with the scattos otherwise it'd be on my handlebar.
Old 01-14-15, 08:50 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For an event that really should be enough, they would have to be a real pain to want to give issue with that. They are allowed to check your bike after too if they are worried you will pull it off.

Our new track is going to limit them in even training sessions, which to be honest is quite fine for me as the only time my data matters, im going to fast to see it clearly. So was looking for a permanent solution to just have it with me,
Old 01-14-15, 10:58 PM
carleton
Elitist

For an event that really should be enough, they would have to be a real pain to want to give issue with that. They are allowed to check your bike after too if they are worried you will pull it off.

Our new track is going to limit them in even training sessions, which to be honest is quite fine for me as the only time my data matters, im going to fast to see it clearly. So was looking for a permanent solution to just have it with me,
Why is your new track going to limit them in training??

The reason why they aren't allowed in comp is because they don't want people pacing off of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.