Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Headlight Mount That Attaches to a Vertical Tube?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-15-20, 02:47 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

I'm finding that all the light mounts I have are designed for mounting on a horizontal tube. I'm finding wasted space that could be used for lighting on the head tube, some of my longer stems, etc.

Has anyone discovered any headlight mount that may be affixed to a vertical tube?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-15-20, 04:30 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
if the tube is large enough this would work. I have this set:

https://www.niterider.com/collection...ybomb-35-combo

I can attach the headlight to pretty much anything because its just a rubber strap. I got it at my LBS and have been using it for years. Runs on AAA batteries.....

Not sure if this is what your looking for.
Old 08-15-20, 04:36 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I think you can get a fork crown mount for the B&M Ixon IQ lights.

You can probably mount DiNotte lights on the head tube as well with the right mounting parts.
Old 08-16-20, 12:23 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
The standard rubber band mount for the Light & Motion Urban lights will work in pretty much any position. I've mounted it on the headtube of my road bike and hybrid. It'll pivot vertically when mounted that way. Only glitch is the amber side visibility lights are now vertical. The L&M Urban series are typical round beam flashlights with a somewhat better dispersion than most flashlights, so orientation of the light barrel doesn't matter.

Ditto the NiteRider mount that comes with the Lumina Micro 850 and similar lights. It'll work fine on the headtube, and the pivot mount that usually swings side to side will pivot vertically. Only catch is the NiteRider lights have small overhanging "hoods" that help serve as a cutoff, which is sideways when mounted on the head tube. So the cutoff beam isn't quite right, but hasn't been a problem in actual use.

The heavy duty clamp mount with my NiteRider Lumina 1800 Dual could be used that way but it wouldn't make much sense with that light. The twin LEDs would be oriented vertically. It would be impossible to aim the light where it would be useful to see by without blinding oncoming traffic. However that mount could be used with other single LED NiteRider headlights.
Old 08-16-20, 04:26 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by canklecat
The standard rubber band mount for the Light & Motion Urban lights will work in pretty much any position. I've mounted it on the headtube of my road bike and hybrid. It'll pivot vertically when mounted that way. Only glitch is the amber side visibility lights are now vertical. The L&M Urban series are typical round beam flashlights with a somewhat better dispersion than most flashlights, so orientation of the light barrel doesn't matter.

Ditto the NiteRider mount that comes with the Lumina Micro 850 and similar lights. It'll work fine on the headtube, and the pivot mount that usually swings side to side will pivot vertically. Only catch is the NiteRider lights have small overhanging "hoods" that help serve as a cutoff, which is sideways when mounted on the head tube. So the cutoff beam isn't quite right, but hasn't been a problem in actual use.

The heavy duty clamp mount with my NiteRider Lumina 1800 Dual could be used that way but it wouldn't make much sense with that light. The twin LEDs would be oriented vertically. It would be impossible to aim the light where it would be useful to see by without blinding oncoming traffic. However that mount could be used with other single LED NiteRider headlights.
Yes. I own both L & M and Niteriders. Perhaps, I'm not being clear in my post. I'm seeking a "post" barrel, or cylinder that will mount around say, the head tube that will allow me to get one of my lights on there, straight out in front and forward, right side up facing.

Below is a photo of a bike that has a mount on the fork crown, and one mount acting as a ring below the stem.

On this particular bike, the Niterider mount is on the barrel/post mount that mounts on the stem. I typically mount my L & M on the fork crown barrel mount.
Likes For michaelm101:
Old 08-16-20, 09:35 PM
havighurst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take a look at the Topeak bar extender. It can mount vertically, but your lights will still mount horizontally. It is very versatile.
Old 08-17-20, 10:07 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
If you mount something that sticks out in front of your headtube or on the side, will your cables catch it when the bars turn to the side?
Old 08-17-20, 11:41 AM
havighurst

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have used the bad extender for over 10 years and never had a problem. It can be adjusted up and down. It also can move the lights in front of the handlebar. I tried to link a photo from the internet.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...F3wMJ1MMVqlPZQ
Old 08-17-20, 07:16 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you mount something that sticks out in front of your headtube or on the side, will your cables catch it when the bars turn to the side?
The cables are routed through a Topeak handlebar bag "quick" attachment accessory.
It looks like the Topeak mount as referenced in this thread will fit the bill!
Old 08-19-20, 01:53 AM
polyphrast

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
It seems you are using a kind of bar extender, which mounts as a spacer on the fork. So these models are probably not interesting. Besides the mentioned Topeak barxtender, Minoura has some nice bar extenders, look up "Minoura SpaceGrip" and "Minoura SwingGrip"
There is also a nice video showing how two BarXtenders can be combined to allow usage of a steerer bag (youtube.com/watch?v=mPudHGT86ec)
Old 08-20-20, 10:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Cool

this bracket goes in the spacer stack on your threadless headset steering tube

Nylon Headset Mount 1- 1/8"
for threadless headset
B&M471B11

Old 08-20-20, 10:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

this plastic clip takes Planet Bike * & their own B&M headlights . *(maybe others)

Old 08-21-20, 05:41 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts

Minoura CS-500 Headset Spacer Mount Accessory Holder

Old 08-21-20, 02:55 PM
michaelm101

Thanks. I have this on all my non-threaded headset stems. This thread was for the threaded, quill style stem on a tandem I recently acquired.
Old 08-24-20, 10:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Piece in # 11 bis made in 1" * as well as 1 1/8".

*for threaded headsets..
I have a hack using the 1" on my Bike Friday.. (Quill OD is 1" on threaded 1.125" forks)