Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Who Will Be the Next Possible E-bike Rider?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Who Will Be the Next Possible E-bike Rider?

Old 12-07-21, 11:09 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Lightbulb Who Will Be the Next Possible E-bike Rider?

In recent years, the e-bike has become more and more popular in many European counties. With higher speeds and less effort needed, the e-bike considered as a promising alternative for transportation or car trips.

Obviously, different people use it for different reasons. According to the research made in Netherlands. The retired older leisure users accounts for the largest percent. They mainly use the e-bike for leisure and shopping purposes. The second represents the middle-aged full-time working people who use it mainly for commuting. The third are younger part-time working women with children. They use e-bikes for work-related trips as well as leisure and shopping purposes. Last but not least, students and pupils frequently use e-bikes for education-related purposes. Younger as they are, students and pupils are growing the fastest.

So we can see that the traditional image of the e-bike is shifting. Will you be the next possible e-bike rider?
Likes For AOSTIRMOTOR:
Old 12-07-21, 11:16 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by AOSTIRMOTOR
In recent years, the e-bike has become more and more popular in many European counties. With higher speeds and less effort needed, the e-bike considered as a promising alternative for transportation or car trips.

Obviously, different people use it for different reasons. According to the research made in Netherlands. The retired older leisure users accounts for the largest percent. They mainly use the e-bike for leisure and shopping purposes. The second represents the middle-aged full-time working people who use it mainly for commuting. The third are younger part-time working women with children. They use e-bikes for work-related trips as well as leisure and shopping purposes. Last but not least, students and pupils frequently use e-bikes for education-related purposes. Younger as they are, students and pupils are growing the fastest.

So we can see that the traditional image of the e-bike is shifting. Will you be the next possible e-bike rider?
The main issue I see with many of those uses is bike security when you get to a destination whether work, school or shopping. In the US or where I live, leaving a bike unattended is very risky. Maybe some secured bike parking every few blocks where one could leave a bike securely for a brief shopping trip or a work day would make it easier to just bike and park. Obviously, smaller shops and offices can't have such an arrangement but something more centralized if organized might be considered.

Just musing....
Likes For kahn:
Old 12-07-21, 11:21 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Abusolutely agree with you. Maybe now we should pay attention to the e-bike parking and regulating problems.
Old 12-08-21, 09:05 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
IMO, the "e", like all bikes, will be primarily a recreational vehicle in the US until there are safer roads and, as above more secured parking. I used to do all my errands by bike (later e-bike), but there's too much chance of becoming an automobile ornament in socal now.
Old 12-08-21, 10:41 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I think 50 yr olds with sore knees from roadie sprint training will be the next demographic for ebikes. At least that's true in my garage.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 12-08-21, 07:48 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Yeah, relavant parking areas and roads for ebikes should be arranged ASAP.
Old 12-08-21, 07:50 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

You're right. An e-bike for the 50 yr olds will be more convenient.
Old 12-08-21, 08:27 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Gangs of pre-teens riding through your neighborhood at 25+mph.
Making tic-tocs of boomers like us yelling at them, probably.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 12-08-21, 10:39 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts

Whew, I'm glad I don't fall into any of those categories.

Oh, yea. I use mine for mountain biking I used to do as a young lad. Along with several friends
Old 12-08-21, 11:54 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Maybe it's time to popularize the safety problems of e-bikes within these pre-teens
Old 12-08-21, 11:55 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

The awesome guy you are!!
Old 12-09-21, 08:17 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Depending on the infrastructures within the ebike users.
For majority of folks who live in rural areas that demand transport capable of higher speed & longer range,
most of the mentality will still remain for bikes & motorcycles to be toys, don't belong on the roads.
Only within cities with congestion, pollution & traffic problems and policies in place that ebike can offer better mobility to those who are capable & comfortable of operating a ebike or etrike among traffic.
Not many American people are willing to give up their car/truck obsession for pedaling while exposed to the elements.
Those who are willing would require some incentives & safety parameters that are beyond the benefit of just being an environmentalist or getting in shape.
Even electric cars are not ideal long term solution to the catastrophes we will face in the next 20-50 years.
Pedal while you can..
Old 12-09-21, 10:12 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Whew, I'm glad I don't fall into any of those categories.

Oh, yea. I use mine for mountain biking I used to do as a young lad. Along with several friends
Yes, I've seen plenty of e-bikes in and around the Dolomites. I love some of those switchback roads - amazing. But also saw them on paths and dirt roads. Actually, as I think back, those were probably the first e-bikes I had seen.
Old 12-09-21, 12:19 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

BTW, with this kind of pricing, I doubt many pre-teens are getting into high performance ebikes:

Old 12-09-21, 05:57 PM
Lastmohecken

Bikes: CB4 COGBURN FAT TIRE MOUNTAIN BIKE, with severe modifications

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I know I will probably end up with one. But I am not your typical biker. I am 64 years old, fairly active, in decent health but probably 50 lbs overweight, and while I do own a fat bike, it wears me out pretty quick, because I live in hilly country, dirt road and ride for exercise, but the problem is, I am either coasting down hill or straining my guts out trying to pedal up hill. I test rode a few ebikes yesterday. Most were pedal assist only, with 350 Kw to 650 Kw motors. They would have been ok for the street and paved bike trails around town. But for the money, I would not have been happy where I need to ride.

I did ride a fat bike, can't remember the brand but it was very similar to something like the Radrover 5, actually, I think it was a KOA brand. it had more power and a throttle and I had no problems pulling up a fairly steep hill in town, and it might work for me. I would still like to have a little more power for the roads I will ride. I want to give the Radrover 5 or 6 a test ride, when I can. However, also considering converting my existing fat bike with a mid mount Bafang 1000 Kw motor. Technically, it isn't legal for the street or bike trails, but where I ride it wouldn't matter and with my 250 lbs or more, I think I want the extra power.

But I also have other uses for the bike, one being quietly sneaking into a deer stand on the farm with as little noise as possible other then walking in.

Last edited by Lastmohecken; 12-09-21 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-09-21, 07:39 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Yeah, I know the Bafang motors that are fantastic. Like it!
Old 12-09-21, 07:42 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

May be e-bikes are the shifting image of transport. Speedy and flexible.
Old 12-13-21, 11:33 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Are you in this list?
Old 12-14-21, 05:19 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Are you in this list?
What list?
Old 12-14-21, 08:32 AM
HookUp

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Will you be the next possible e-bike rider?
Nope

If I wanted an e-bike, I'd get a motorcycle
Old 12-14-21, 12:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by HookUp
Nope

If I wanted an e-bike, I'd get a motorcycle
But an e-bike is pedal powered a motorcycle uses only a motor and throttle no pedaling? Are you saying you dislike bikes or were you confused by what an e-bike is?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-14-21, 01:19 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

I have been riding motorcycles on and off-road for over two decades.
Motorcycles require license, registration, insurance and annual inspection to operate.
When I have to travel long distance (over 100 mile per day), motorcycles are still fun to ride.
But if I'm commuting or just running errands on 2-wheel, ebikes are just much easier to operate & park.
Traffic rules can be optional with an ebike in bumper-to-bumper traffic, one-way streets can be two-way, shortcut through public parks are fair game.
Motorcycles have somewhat different purposes than ebikes,
Old 12-14-21, 05:27 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
VB, take a look at the number of posts; doubt there is knowledge of e-bikes, bikes or motorcycles, maybe tricycles.
Likes For 2old:
Old 12-14-21, 10:38 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
What list?
The next possible e-biker
Old 12-14-21, 10:40 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Cool guy you are!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.