Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 01-20-15, 10:25 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pittsburgh has an active facebook page that talks about everything except the status of their track haha.
Old 01-20-15, 10:58 AM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
Pittsburgh has an active facebook page that talks about everything except the status of their track haha.
Yup. I've had posts asking about track deleted as well. It's bizarre.
Old 01-20-15, 03:00 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Hi, all.

Are there any bike geometry websites or apps out there? I want to put in some dimensions and see if the numbers "add up" and also maybe see the resulting output. Any ideas?
Old 01-20-15, 04:19 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by carleton
Hi, all.

Are there any bike geometry websites or apps out there? I want to put in some dimensions and see if the numbers "add up" and also maybe see the resulting output. Any ideas?
To answer my own question, I found www.bikecad.ca | Bicycle Design Software

It's very cool. It's free but requires Java. I feel dirty installing and running java on my machine.

But it's cool. Does what I expect.

Old 01-20-15, 04:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
bikecad looks very promising! They encourage us to upload designs, and I think the video is suggesting that we measure our current (production) bikes to catalog how our bikes are built.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-20-15, 05:00 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by noglider
bikecad looks very promising! They encourage us to upload designs, and I think the video is suggesting that we measure our current (production) bikes to catalog how our bikes are built.
Yeah, I noticed that there was a "publish" option when I saved my CAD drawing on the site. I was wondering what that was about.

Mr. Tiemeyer provides a CAD drawing as part of his deliverable to his clients.

This isn't mine, but here is an example of what I got for my frames. This is the bike he made for a bike show:

I've been using the specs off of my current frame as a baseline then adjusted the seat tube and top tube to what I'd like in a new frame.

Last edited by carleton; 01-20-15 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-20-15, 06:58 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Wow! I can certainly see that rear triangle being steel. That's really interesting, especially as they had a small nosecone on the headtube. That's a lot of metal in that bike. I would be interested in being able to find steel tubing that deep. That would probably be an amazingly stiff bike.
Old 01-20-15, 07:19 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by taras0000
Wow! I can certainly see that rear triangle being steel. That's really interesting, especially as they had a small nosecone on the headtube. That's a lot of metal in that bike. I would be interested in being able to find steel tubing that deep. That would probably be an amazingly stiff bike.
That Tiemeyer is 6061 Aluminum.
Old 01-20-15, 07:29 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
lol. A little bit of a delayed reaction on my post. I was referring to Hill's AIS bike. As for the Tiemeyer, much as I like it, that paint job just doesn't go with a headtube that long.
Old 01-21-15, 11:44 AM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@carleton: You can also check out RattleCAD. OpenSource bike cad software. It takes a bit of getting used to but I've used it in an OSX environment and its been pretty good:

https://rattlecad.sourceforge.net/
Old 01-21-15, 02:58 PM
SBUndefeated201

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate everyone answering my (noob) track questions. How tight do your guys run your clipless pedals? I might be over compensating because I had a close call with SPDs. I run SPD Sls now..I hear they are less likely to release when force is applied. I started with them an minimum and tightened each 10 clicks (don't know if this is an accurate measure). I am only 140lbs so tightening all the way does not allow me to even clip in or out.

Last edited by SBUndefeated201; 01-21-15 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 04:04 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SBUndefeated201
I appreciate everyone answering my (noob) track questions. How tight do your guys run your clipless pedals? I might be over compensating because I had a close call with SPDs. I run SPD Sls now..I hear they are less likely to release when force is applied. I started with them an minimum and tightened each 10 clicks (don't know if this is an accurate measure). I am only 140lbs so tightening all the way does not allow me to even clip in or out.
I run my SPD-SLs as tight as I can release my shoe from the pedal for track use. (For road use I keep them as loose as they go.)
I also spray my pedals with silicone lube once or twice a year.

Last edited by 700wheel; 01-22-15 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 05:16 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 700wheel
Originally Posted by SBUndefeated201
I run my SPDs as tight as I can release my shoe from the pedal for track use. (For road use I keep them as loose as they go.)
+1
Old 01-22-15, 12:36 AM
TurtleRacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
I run my SPDs as tight as I can release my shoe from the pedal for track use. (For road use I keep them as loose as they go.)
I run my SPD SLs at the lowest tension (both road and track). I haven't ever accidentally pulled out of my pedals- and I can't (I've tried really hard on my trainer). But I'm a noob and only 170lbs, so I think I'm not putting down (or pulling up) the power necessary to pull out of my pedals.

Have any of you pulled straight up and out of your pedals (e.g. pulled out while pedalling with good form)?
Old 01-22-15, 07:02 AM
SBUndefeated201

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurtleRacer
I run my SPD SLs at the lowest tension (both road and track). I haven't ever accidentally pulled out of my pedals- and I can't (I've tried really hard on my trainer). But I'm a noob and only 170lbs, so I think I'm not putting down (or pulling up) the power necessary to pull out of my pedals.

Have any of you pulled straight up and out of your pedals (e.g. pulled out while pedalling with good form)?

I've pulled out of SPDs on a standing start
Old 01-22-15, 07:35 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've pulled out of SPDs starting cross races, but I'm not sure how relevant that is. Nobody runs their track pedals lose so they can get out when they're muddy, after all.
Old 01-22-15, 08:33 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by wens
I've pulled out of SPDs starting cross races, but I'm not sure how relevant that is. Nobody runs their track pedals lose so they can get out when they're muddy, after all.
Exactly.

For those who don't know, let's differentiate between SPD and SPD-SL.

This is SPD:

They are made for MTB and CX. They are made for quick entry/exit and shedding mud.

This is SPD-SL:

They are made for Road. Made for bigger platform, power transfer, and foot retention.

Old 01-23-15, 02:27 PM
netromekim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! Longtime lurker but a first time poster. I've taken my cert A & B at the new velodrome in Milton - a spectacular facility - and have become instantly addicted to riding the track. One question I have, specific to etiquette, pertains to the cote d'azur and I'm hoping someone can clarify.
After getting the bike rolling and me clipped in on the apron/safety zone, do I get up to speed on the cote then move up track to the stayers' line to warm up, or should I not dwell on the cote at all? Of course, any movements I make are done only after requisite shoulder checks.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-23-15, 02:40 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is going to vary track to track. For example IVBP only has a cote and no safety zone (its actually grass/mud!).

At Milton, in a drop-in rec session, the cote is to get up to speed. If you are just stretching, being lazy, use the safety zone. The cote is just a transition.

Now riding black vs blue is going to depend on the session. In a faster drop-in like we had last night, the blue is the 'stayer' and the black was for intervals. On a slower session with newer riders, that might be reversed. There will ALWAYS be a track facilitator running the session so ask that person to be clear. It all depends who is there, how busy it is, what people want to do, etc. Organized chaos.

Originally Posted by netromekim
Hey! Longtime lurker but a first time poster. I've taken my cert A & B at the new velodrome in Milton - a spectacular facility - and have become instantly addicted to riding the track. One question I have, specific to etiquette, pertains to the cote d'azur and I'm hoping someone can clarify.
After getting the bike rolling and me clipped in on the apron/safety zone, do I get up to speed on the cote then move up track to the stayers' line to warm up, or should I not dwell on the cote at all? Of course, any movements I make are done only after requisite shoulder checks.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-23-15, 03:06 PM
netromekim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks gtrob! I must have been in the cert B class before your drop in session last night - if you were in at around 9:00.
I'm registered in a structured recreational session so I'm happy to hear they will help us refine our etiquette. We did simultaneous pace lines last night - one group on the black with another on the blue, both with exchanges - so that helped me solidify the black line and blue line differences.
I just want to make sure I understood the cote etiquette properly, as one of the posts in this thread says you can be clipped by guys doing efforts on the black if you're on the cote, so I wanted to understand better. I get it now.
Thanks,
Mike

Originally Posted by gtrob
This is going to vary track to track. For example IVBP only has a cote and no safety zone (its actually grass/mud!).

At Milton, in a drop-in rec session, the cote is to get up to speed. If you are just stretching, being lazy, use the safety zone. The cote is just a transition.

Now riding black vs blue is going to depend on the session. In a faster drop-in like we had last night, the blue is the 'stayer' and the black was for intervals. On a slower session with newer riders, that might be reversed. There will ALWAYS be a track facilitator running the session so ask that person to be clear. It all depends who is there, how busy it is, what people want to do, etc. Organized chaos.
Old 01-23-15, 04:10 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ideally you are aware of someone doing a hard effort like that before you move up to the cote, you can get most of the speed you need from the safety zone. The important thing is coming onto the track safely, but you can only see what you can see, you can't predict what someone is going to do. Roll up, look for an opening, time it so you accelerate down the straight on the cote, come onto the track after the turn, up into a paceline. Easy as pie. And cake.
Old 01-26-15, 01:30 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by nspace
@carleton: You can also check out RattleCAD. OpenSource bike cad software. It takes a bit of getting used to but I've used it in an OSX environment and its been pretty good:

https://rattlecad.sourceforge.net/
@nspace

RattleCAD is AWESOME!

Here's what I want in my next frame:

Attached Images

Last edited by carleton; 01-26-15 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-27-15, 03:03 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Nice. Didn't think your preferred race lengths required fluids whilst racing though...
Old 01-27-15, 06:43 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Dalai
Nice. Didn't think your preferred race lengths required fluids whilst racing though...
Hahaha! I still haven't figured out how to remove those bits from the template
Old 01-27-15, 08:37 AM
globbinick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First post. I have a Wabi that I am starting to race in alleycats etc (stupid light sodacan lighting se version), but I want to start training on the track. Would a fork change from 45mm>29mm offset on a 74-Seat tube 72-head tube frame make the bike better for the track? It seems to me that most bikes are 76-74 to 74-74, are the 2 degrees a large enough factor to change frames? I think the Langster Pro is the same geo for my size.
Wabi Cycles Lightning SE fixie frame specifications

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.