Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Some cyclists and arrogance

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Some cyclists and arrogance

Old 05-17-20, 01:37 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I don't think the percentage of cyclists who are arrogant/elitist is any different from other sports. I think it's related to the competitive nature of sports.
Triathletes and runners are way nicer. Swimmers not so much. I can't speak for others.
Old 05-17-20, 01:40 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Incorrect.

It's more "Minnesota 'Nice'," than "Minnesota Nice." It's a passive-aggressive thing. You're forgiven though, as many Minnesotans don't understand it, even though they've got the act down pat.
Yup. This is what kills me about that and the "southern charm" thing. Give me NY directness.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-17-20, 02:13 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by carminepraha
exactly! had the same thing happen today on my ride. sooooo serious! jeeeez. lighten up. enjoy where you're at!!
I rode 65 miles and climbed 6,000'' yesterday in the Santa Monica Mountains where lots of experienced roadies go. I waive to passing cyclists most, but not all, of the time. I won't necessarily waive on a steep climb if I'm concentrating on my breathing, or on a descent if I'm going fast. I can't say that I came across a single cyclist that came across as snotty or arrogant, and I probably encountered hundreds. I find the vast majority out there are friendly, but like anywhere you go, not everybody wants to socialize.

Last edited by Robert A; 05-17-20 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-17-20, 02:17 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I wave/nod/generally smile at everyone on a bike. Yeah, the lycra-clad, carbon riding athletes rarely return the favor.... I just figure they are "in the zone", and just keep pedaling.
Old 05-17-20, 02:22 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
I wave/nod/generally smile at everyone on a bike. Yeah, the lycra-clad, carbon riding athletes rarely return the favor.... I just figure they are "in the zone", and just keep pedaling.
That's odd, because where I am almost everyone waves. C, Ti, Fe, Al, doesn't matter.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-17-20, 02:40 PM
JustinOldPhart
Junior Samples

Bikes: '74 Eisentraut, '94 Univega Alpina Pro, KLR650, R1200RT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
Old 05-17-20, 02:43 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,152 Times in 587 Posts
Never understood the obsession with 'waving' here on teh Biek Forms, but I long ago solved the problem by affixing this to my bars.

Likes For badger1:
Old 05-17-20, 02:44 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That's odd, because where I am almost everyone waves. C, Ti, Fe, Al, doesn't matter.
Many return my head nod or two finger wave, but those that don't are often filthy casuals.
Old 05-17-20, 03:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Incorrect.

It's more "Minnesota 'Nice'," than "Minnesota Nice." It's a passive-aggressive thing. You're forgiven though, as many Minnesotans don't understand it, even though they've got the act down pat.
Actually I grew up partly in MN, and most of my family is still out there... I know what's what and meant it a bit tongue in cheek.
Never cycled much there though except as a teenager getting to a job, so can't speak to the cyclist culture.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-17-20, 03:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
outburst?? lol. hardly.. nothing happened. every ride i go on, i cross paths with some dude or 2 with this elitist attitude. again, most are not this way
Maybe they are just shy?
Old 05-17-20, 04:37 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
Let’s say I’m on a 67 mile, 6,000’ ride like yesterday. I love riding and it puts me in a great mood. I pass some of these folks going the other way and say How ya doin? I get nothing from some, just serious faces. I feel sorry for them because there does not seem to be any enjoyment there. So pity is my feeling!
When I'm crank'n away I wave at everyone coming the other way. Skate board, roller blade, cyclist, e-bike or anyone else.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 05-17-20, 06:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I find cyclists to be the friendliest, kindest, nicest people you'd ever want to meet, and that goes especially for the few elites I know.. Some people have a problem with that, i.e. that such people exist messes up their worldview. And I say, whatever. Riding with, hanging with, doing anything with cyclists is more fun than a person ought to be able to have.
Old 05-17-20, 08:58 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Cyclists are a sub-set of people and so have the same range of personalities as people in general. If we all accept (or so I hope, anyway) that things like skin color, religion, nationality, etc dont particularly change the essential nature of human beings, do you really think that the type of bicycle one rides makes for a valid stereotype?
What happened that bruised your feelings so much and led to this outburst - did someone not wave?
I've actually found that while most roadies are fairly cool there is a bit more pretentiousness among them then other aspects of the sport. Actually had a conversation with a guy (spouse of a friend) who asked if I like to ride bikes, told him sure, he response was "but do you really ride a bike" not certain what he meant I told him yeah, whatever kind of riding I'm in. "yeah but can you ride a road bike?" My only mental thought was that I only have 2 of those in my dozen+ collection before answering yes. Honestly a cool guy but road is everything. Working in shops roadies could often be the biggest hassle; those who saw me at the group rides on a regular basis were typically chill and easy to help but a good number who didn't know I rode road often seemed like they needed to be judgemental over if a repair would be good enough or if I knew what I was doing. Only other group that seemed to be as freaky over the quality of their repairs were the DHers though they're the group that probably should be and from them I get it. There's also the MUP roadies who really have a complete attitude over anyone who might be in the way or that they have to slow down for or who aren't perfectly on their side; I know there's proper etiquette but don't expect it from a 7yo who's parent is trying to deal with a 5yo with training wheels, it's multi-use for a reason, slow down and go around and move on without a nasty comment.
Road is my favorite aspect of the sport but I think the reputation for snobbery or arrogance isn't completely unearned; though as others have mentioned others can also be over sensative when a wave or a nod isn't returned because you're too busy trying to set a personal best or up your speed to notice and that's a part of what makes cycling fun.

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Yup. This is what kills me about that and the "southern charm" thing. Give me NY directness.
Agreed
Old 05-17-20, 09:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
There's also the MUP roadies who really have a complete attitude over anyone who might be in the way or that they have to slow down for or who aren't perfectly on their side; I know there's proper etiquette but don't expect it from a 7yo who's parent is trying to deal with a 5yo with training wheels, it's multi-use for a reason, slow down and go around and move on without a nasty comment.
MUP Racers are the worst.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-17-20, 09:23 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I've actually found that while most roadies are fairly cool there is a bit more pretentiousness among them then other aspects of the sport. Actually had a conversation with a guy (spouse of a friend) who asked if I like to ride bikes, told him sure, he response was "but do you really ride a bike" not certain what he meant I told him yeah, whatever kind of riding I'm in. "yeah but can you ride a road bike?" My only mental thought was that I only have 2 of those in my dozen+ collection before answering yes. Honestly a cool guy but road is everything. Working in shops roadies could often be the biggest hassle; those who saw me at the group rides on a regular basis were typically chill and easy to help but a good number who didn't know I rode road often seemed like they needed to be judgemental over if a repair would be good enough or if I knew what I was doing. Only other group that seemed to be as freaky over the quality of their repairs were the DHers though they're the group that probably should be and from them I get it. There's also the MUP roadies who really have a complete attitude over anyone who might be in the way or that they have to slow down for or who aren't perfectly on their side; I know there's proper etiquette but don't expect it from a 7yo who's parent is trying to deal with a 5yo with training wheels, it's multi-use for a reason, slow down and go around and move on without a nasty comment.
Road is my favorite aspect of the sport but I think the reputation for snobbery or arrogance isn't completely unearned; though as others have mentioned others can also be over sensative when a wave or a nod isn't returned because you're too busy trying to set a personal best or up your speed to notice and that's a part of what makes cycling fun.
Does cycling have its shares of ******s who think they are Lance? Of course it does. Road cycling is the race-oriented segment and so it attracts its share of wannabes - those who think they are superior to non-racers, the MUP racers, etc. But I challenge you to find any subset of sports which doesnt have a small percentage of people who are not dicks. From personal experience of sports that i have played, I know jujitsu, MMA, hockey, triathlon and squash all have their share. I can also vouch for the fact that golf, tennis and running also have their own share of a-holes. Outside of sports - try hobbies. You'll always have guys who are snobs about gear. And the more gear intensive a sport, the more gear-focused people tend to be.

As far as riding on tarmac goes, road cycling probably requires the greatest commitment to the sport and so also has the people with the most active involvement in other aspects - gear, training, etc. Most hybrid riders I know have a very passing knowledge about their bike - OTOH, most roadies are probably more intimate with their bikes than their wives. And with that commitment comes greater involvement. Eg, if i was taking my Venge to a bike shop I didnt know, I'd probably fuss a little more about the mechanic as well, compared to dropping off my Surly touring bike.

(As an aside - i do not wave when i ride. I'd like to think that i am a pretty easy-going person off the bike, but I am not particularly big on inane small-talk or its equivalent, and waving to strangers falls in that category for me - at most, i will acknowledge another rider if i pass them with thumbs up. But i dont really believe that just because another guy is on a bike, he and i are part of some brotherhood and so need to bond. Arrogance? No. More like indifference.)

No one is denying that cycling doesnt have its share of ******s. What I am challenging is the rather casual assumption that this percentage is higher than in other sports - or among humans in general. Road cycling has the same personality quirks that you get with any sports as you more towards the more competitive edge of the spectrum.

Last edited by guadzilla; 05-17-20 at 09:29 PM.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-17-20, 09:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Guess cuz it can be quite a pricey sport maybe?
Try motorcycling, boating, RVing, classic car collecting, divorce.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-17-20, 09:28 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I think you see it on all levels in different sports/activities. People think whatever they do is the best, the hardest, the most suffering, the most mentally demanding, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. I have a friend who was a wrestler in the Big 8 when the Big 8 was the top collegiate conference.(if it is no longer the top conference) He said he quit wrestling and moved to the school's cycling team because it was a lot less demanding on his body and he could eat anything he wanted. After that, he became a triathlete doing a couple of full IMs per year. Said it was still a lot easier that wrestling. But to hear the average roadie speak, it begins and end with cycling, and nothing else comes close.

Last edited by seypat; 05-17-20 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-17-20, 09:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
(As an aside - i do not wave when i ride. I'd like to think that i am a pretty easy-going person off the bike, but I am not particularly big on inane small-talk or its equivalent, and waving to strangers falls in that category for me - at most, i will acknowledge another rider if i pass them with thumbs up. But i dont really believe that just because another guy is on a bike, he and i are part of some brotherhood and so need to bond. Arrogance? No. More like indifference.)

No one is denying that cycling doesnt have its share of ******s. What I am challenging is the rather casual assumption that this percentage is higher than in other sports - or among humans in general. Road cycling has the same personality quirks that you get with any sports as you more towards the more competitive edge of the spectrum.
Higher then among other sports or the population in general, nope, I'll agree. Just seems that more of them congregate to certain aspects of the sport, that's the only part I was going along with. I am a person who tends to nod by nature but not always and I have no expectation of a reply, I wouldn't call it arrogance or indifference, sometimes there's nothing wrong with just wanting to focus on what you want to be doing.

Originally Posted by big john
Try motorcycling, boating, RVing, classic car collecting, divorce.
Are you listing divorce as a sport or hobby? Either way that would be an interesting outlook on it; and the commentators would have to be from MST3K
Old 05-17-20, 09:40 PM
big john

Originally Posted by seypat
I think you see it on all levels in different sports. People think what ever they do is the best, the hardest, the most suffering, the most mentally demanding, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. I have a friend who was a wrestler in the Big 8 when the Big 8 was the top collegiate conference.(if it is no longer the top conference) He said he quit wrestling and moved to the school's cycling team because it was a lot less demanding on his body and he could eat anything he wanted. After that, he became a triathlete doing a couple of full IMs per year. Said it was still a lot easier that wrestling.
I wrestled in school and it's very intense but it doesn't last very long and you're not miles from home when you're exhausted. I did weight training for 10 hours per week and had a hard time getting enough calories as I got near 250#. If he had to make weight that is a problem heavyweights don't have.
Old 05-17-20, 09:45 PM
big john

Are you listing divorce as a sport or hobby? Either way that would be an interesting outlook on it; and the commentators would have to be from MST3K
I think it was sport for the wife. She had a lot more fun with it than I did. I was just thinking of expensive things I had done.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-17-20, 10:06 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I wrestled in school and it's very intense but it doesn't last very long and you're not miles from home when you're exhausted. I did weight training for 10 hours per week and had a hard time getting enough calories as I got near 250#. If he had to make weight that is a problem heavyweights don't have.
I asked the guy about the level of competition. He said they had 2 meets a week. He said one week he was wrestling the current olympic gold medal holder at his weight division in the first meet. In the 2nd meet, he was wrestling the guy who had just defeated said medal holder! He was 5'7" and said his tri racing weight was 150lbs. I played basketball collegiately. I'm 5'8" and played around 173-175lbs. I asked him what weight division he wrestled in. He said it was the 118lb(I think) division. I'm looking at the guy and can't imagine how he could be that light. He must have been skin and bones and not much else.
Old 05-17-20, 10:10 PM
big john

Originally Posted by seypat
I asked the guy about the level of competition. He said they had 2 meets a week. He said one week he was wrestling the current olympic gold medal holder at his weight division in the first meet. In the 2nd meet, he was wrestling the guy who had just defeated said medal holder! He was 5'7" and said his tri racing weight was 150lbs. I played basketball collegiately. I'm 5'8" and played around 173-175lbs. I asked him what weight division he wrestled in. He said it was the 118lb(I think) division. I'm looking at the guy and can't imagine how he could be that light. He must have been skin and bones and not much else.
It amazes me the weight guys can fight or wrestle at. A friend boxed at middleweight, 160 pounds. Walking around he looked 175, at least.
Old 05-17-20, 10:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
OTOH, most roadies are probably more intimate with their bikes than their wives.
​​​​​​Sig worthy.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-18-20, 04:20 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

(As an aside - i do not wave when i ride.
I’ve got some bad new for you - apparently you’re a narcissist with psychopathic tendencies ........😟
Old 05-18-20, 05:06 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
It's funny, I only look at touring cyclists as serious cyclists. Racers are just hobbyists.
Likes For Trevtassie:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.