Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Old 04-13-21, 06:09 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
It might I have not tested that clip and I don't have one. It was designed to clip into this part, https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

I already make Blendr mounts, like your question shows, that are replacements for that part and mounts a Varia and another for the FLY6ce.
Likes For WheresWaldo:
Old 04-15-21, 06:15 AM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by F22c_legs
that's what I was getting it. I couldn't find the link or page # for purchase. Can you, please, link them here?
Sorry I misunderstood your question, the link is here, https://shpws.me/SwBb
Old 04-15-21, 06:25 AM
WheresWaldo

Geekage One thing I forgot to add, your time is valuable, even if this is just a hobby. Make sure there is a reasonable markup for your model prints. That doesn't mean you cannot do the cycling community favors, and try to keep the cost low, just make sure you figure out how to compensate yourself.

And one last thing, Shapeways is a service provider, they 3D print stuff, that is about all they do. The other materials that cannot be 3D printed are subcontracted out to other firms. They also provide a marketplace for you, but mostly so that they can advertise their own services. They cannot provide additional hardware with their 3D prints. I do know for a fact that there are many designers on Shapeways that buy their own prints, add whatever they need to add to them then resell those completed items on their own websites, so it is doable, if you want to invest the resources to build multi-component items.
Old 04-16-21, 12:28 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Garmin Varia mount for Trek Domane

My riding partner wants to use a seat bag, but also wants to use his Varia radar unit. He has a 2019 Domane. Problem is, the odd shaped frame where the seatpost is inserted leaves very little seatpost exposed, and he has been unable to locate anything that fits around the frame tube. Suggestions?

He wants to move the current mount lower to clear a seat bag.
Old 04-19-21, 11:49 PM
Geekage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
WheresWaldo, thanks. I agree, keystone markup really isn't going to cut it especially since some of the stuff I've had Shapeways make has been at what I assume is their minimum price.

Some of the stuff I've designed will need additional parts, so I'll probably need my own ecommerce site and stock inventory (or find a distributor- ha, ha, now I'm dreaming. I don't think many people would like to deal with the hassle of buying some parts from me and buying the rest from Shapeways. I figure that's also better for buyers since they then don't have to wait for Shapeways to print it, which can take a while. But of course, there's the whole problem of stocking inventory and predicting sales.

But I get what you're saying- the Shapeways storefront is just a token effort to allow others to sell their designs. It could be better with better search, filtering, etc., but it's probably better to have my own site and link directly to a Shapeways product if selling there.

And of course, Shapeways isn't the only game in town. Though some other places have high minimum orders, at least it's not a problem if I'm planning on larger orders for stocking inventory. And some have a bit faster turn around. Or much faster for a premium. And there's something to be said for not being tied to any one company for parts.

What do you think of the idea of putting my designs up on a 3D model website but also selling the parts? That way, people have options: print the part themselves, send the model out to a place like Shapeways and get it in the color they want, or order it directly from me. Each has its pros and cons- they either have to have (a friend with) a 3D printer and be willing to possibly tweak the design for their printer, or they have to wait for Shapeways, or they pay more (but maybe not that much more because of economies of scale) for something that I have tested and can ship immediately.

Of course, there's the fourth option of buying it from someone who may have completely copied my site- possibly even pretending to be me- and is undercutting me. But that can happen even if I don't publish the design- they'd just make an even worse copy and give me a bad name. Or someone could improve the design and put me out of business.
Old 04-21-21, 07:17 AM
WheresWaldo

A few more thoughts

Geekage I looked at other service providers when I first started, and as flawed as Shapeways is, it was the best option at the time. Now with seven years at Shapeways, I am pretty much tied to them. It is even to the point where several times a day I have to tell people that message me that I am not a Shapeways employee.

With respect to making the models available, there are options. I would totally skip Thingiverse, that place is a mess. Right now I think MyMiniFactory might be the better of the rest, but I can't say for sure. You can put the models up for self-printing, but your concern for copycats is real and likely the first place you will find your models for sale is eBay. What I did in the past was to post early versions of my models in 3D file repositories. Usually it was just serviceable versions, very blocky, maybe missing some refinements, maybe in a single size. An example, I remodeled the Garmin quarter-turn mount to make it what Garmin should have in the first place, on the repositories I used a model of the original quarter-turn instead of my remodeled eighth-turn mount. And, my eighth-turn model has been copied by someone and that version is up on Thingiverse somewhere (no idea if it works as well as my version and I don't care to find out).

If you allow others to print it themselves, please note you have no control over the skill level of the person printing it. I don't think you want to be in that position if you see this becoming more of a business than a hobby.

If we stick with Shapeways for example, they have a few options for printing that they do not offer in their marketplace. MJF PA12 w/glass beads is a much more rigid offering than the normal MJF prints.

One more tip, if you are going to prototype a lot of models, buy yourself a resin printer and become very proficient at using it. Especially with the new more flexible and robust resins, and engineering resins available. That and a bit of tweaking to the printer build volume numbers, you can get precise size specific models printed, and you can print a plate full of prototypes at once. Youtube has a rash of videos showing some impressive results with cheap small MSLA printers like the Anycubic Mono, Elegoo Mars 2 Pro Mono, Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K, among others. Larger format if you need bigger parts might be the Anycubic Mono X, Elegoo Saturn, Epax E10 Mono, Phrozen Mighty 4K. The parts that come off those printers might not suitable for extended outdoor use as they continue to cure in sunlight and tend to yellow or even shrink a bit over time. It does work very well for prototyping without waiting on your service provider to print, ship, repeat. Yes, resin printers are messy, but your return is that you will be able to print parts that look finished and don't require any post work to be usable. The detail you can print with rivals and even supasses the stuff you can get from Shapeways or any of the other print providers. I have totally given up on FDM printing for printing test parts.

The parts thing is real, even screws that are readily available at most home centers and hardware stores as well as online, I know I lose sales from not being able to supply them with the models I offer. I can't tell you how many sales, but I am sure there are some. A lot of people want a complete solution, nothing left to acquire, all in one package.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 04-21-21 at 07:31 AM.
Likes For WheresWaldo:
Old 04-21-21, 07:24 AM
WheresWaldo

Bald Paul does your riding partner still have the reflector bracket that is required to come with your bike and which Trek provides with every bike? If so, likely the model I have of the Madone mount might work, if the reflector mounts the same way as the Madone, it should. I don't have a Trek dealer close and there is no way they have a 2019 Domane left in stock (the pandemic has been very good for Trek since they correctly predicted demand and increased their production, while they could, and almost all their dealers have no stock left). A picture of the reflector mount might help me determine if my Madone mount might fit.
Old 04-21-21, 07:53 AM
WheresWaldo

Geekage One thing, if you decide to go the resin printer route: Skip every printer that uses a color screen, regardless of price or resolution. Screens are consumable items and the color screens just do not last very long. A typical color screen mSLA printer allows about 1% of the UV light to pass through it, a monochrome mSLA printer is about 6%. Not only do you get much shorter print times with a mono screen, it lasts longer too. Typical life of a color screen is 500-1000 screen on time, usually closer to the 500 hours (not the same as print time, but that is another discussion), the mono screen can last for 2000 hours plus.

Also don't spend the money on anything from FormLabs, much too expensive and not measurably better than the rash of mSLA printer that come from China.
Old 04-22-21, 03:18 PM
Geekage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
WheresWaldo Thanks for the insights. I'd been resisting getting a resin printer, mostly because of durability of prints, but that's a great point that it's better for prototyping parts that will later be SLS or MJF. The thing is that if I have to make the decision whether to keep this a hobby or make it a business, well, it'll be the former since I really should spend more time on finding decent paying, full time employment.
Old 04-24-21, 09:32 AM
WheresWaldo

Geekage If you do decide to make it a profession, just note that in my case at the 12 month mark I only totaled $2300 from Shapeways sales, less than $200 a month. Not even enough to pay for the printer and filament I was using at the time. It has taken quite some time to get to the point where I am no longer concerned about every dollar coming from Shapeways. I am in my seventh year there now. Also I had the luxury of being employed full time when I started.
Old 04-24-21, 12:57 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Yeah Shapeways is pretty fast when it comes to this approval.
Today I noticed that all of my products that referenced GoPro had been taken down from my shop.

I've double checked my wording and done a couple of edits, then put everything back up for sale.

Have you had any issues?
Old 04-24-21, 02:56 PM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by JonnyHK
Today I noticed that all of my products that referenced GoPro had been taken down from my shop.

I've double checked my wording and done a couple of edits, then put everything back up for sale.

Have you had any issues?
I haven't checked, but I got most of them fixed already. Charter sent a crew out to bury a cable and the idiots cut mine in the process, it took them two days to fix their issue. I was about to go to Shapeways for something unrelated so I will check that too.
Old 04-24-21, 03:15 PM
WheresWaldo

JonnyHK They only removed the handlebar mounts from my shop, and I don't really care about those as I am phasing them out completely. I think besides that I only had one other that I apparently forgot to rename as GoPro Compatible or GoPro Style.
Old 04-25-21, 12:47 PM
JonnyHK 

JonnyHK They only removed the handlebar mounts from my shop, and I don't really care about those as I am phasing them out completely. I think besides that I only had one other that I apparently forgot to rename as GoPro Compatible or GoPro Style.
I'd renamed everything and altered the references in the text (as well as having the legal text they provided at the bottom).

Hopefully everything gets approved. Not impressed that they'd take everything off without notification (especially after previously approving everything)!
Old 04-25-21, 04:40 PM
WheresWaldo

I'd renamed everything and altered the references in the text (as well as having the legal text they provided at the bottom). Hopefully everything gets approved. Not impressed that they'd take everything off without notification (especially after previously approving everything)!
I don't remember and I no longer have the original email, but I think there was a time limit on when things had to be changed to comply with GoPro lawyers.
Old 04-27-21, 03:42 AM
JonnyHK 

I don't remember and I no longer have the original email, but I think there was a time limit on when things had to be changed to comply with GoPro lawyers.

I checked everything and updated them, but despite receiving the approval notices yesterday I find that today nothing is available for sale again.

I've sent them an email asking for help/clarification on the GoPro issue.
Old 04-27-21, 06:09 AM
WheresWaldo

JonnyHK You are probably on the right track. Other than a few issues where Shapeways Customer Support is happy to pass the blame of everything on the part designer, they have been pretty responsive.
Old 05-01-21, 06:51 PM
WheresWaldo

Shapeways has just informed me that my marketplace shop has been selected for a week long Customer Success promotion starting Sunday May 2nd and going on through Saturday May 8th.

This would be for 10% off all plastic offerings from my Shapeways marketplace shop. Now would be the time to get that special mount you have been holding off on.

Use the code MadBike2021 at checkout.

Please note that during this week long promotion I will not be taking on any custom requests for mounts.

Remember to use the code MadBike2021.

Visit https://www.shapeways.com/shops/revolutionaries
Old 05-05-21, 01:19 PM
JonnyHK 

JonnyHK You are probably on the right track. Other than a few issues where Shapeways Customer Support is happy to pass the blame of everything on the part designer, they have been pretty responsive.
They got back to me pretty quickly. Guy had to manually approve everything. Basically anything that mentioned GoPro was flagged by the system for manual review, but sometimes the system still blocked things. He was going to personally follow up - and all my products are now fine.

I asked if there was any preferred wording that would avoid this and he said no.
Old 05-05-21, 01:21 PM
JonnyHK 

Shapeways has just informed me that my marketplace shop has been selected for a week long Customer Success promotion starting Sunday May 2nd and going on through Saturday May 8th.
Nice work Waldo.

Who'd have thunk that you could top up your retirement fund by fiddling with bike bits!
Old 05-05-21, 02:15 PM
WheresWaldo

Nice work Waldo. Who'd have thunk that you could top up your retirement fund by fiddling with bike bits!
Shapeways works in mysterious ways, I get contacted by some low level VP and they tell me about this promotion, then they tell me that it is totally up to me to promote it. Then when I ask what the success criteria is for the promotion, I get ghosted. They are a weird company.
Old 05-05-21, 02:24 PM
JonnyHK 

Shapeways works in mysterious ways, I get contacted by some low level VP and they tell me about this promotion, then they tell me that it is totally up to me to promote it. Then when I ask what the success criteria is for the promotion, I get ghosted. They are a weird company.
Oh well, even if they are weird I've more than paid for the purchase cost of my 3d printer and the consumables I've used by selling things there.

I think the skills I built getting there have probably earned me more.
Old 05-18-21, 11:54 AM
WheresWaldo

JonnyHK

You will get a kick out of this. To no one's surprise, I never got contacted again about the promotion. I have zero idea if it was successful other than this was the very first time a actually paid for a Facebook Ad. Even FB was able to tell me how many people saw the Ad and how many of those people clicked the link in the 7 days I ran the ad. Cost me $30 for the week long run, I can only guess if it was worth the money.
Likes For WheresWaldo:
Old 06-06-21, 11:20 AM
WheresWaldo

Someone sent me a cut off from a Specialized Venge. I don't ever recall speaking to this person, it came unsolicited. Anyway, I was able to create a mount for the Varia that is size specific to the Venge Vias. It is available here, https://shpws.me/SHMc

I would like to thank him for taking the time to figure out what I needed to get his mount designed.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 07-04-21 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-12-21, 04:50 PM
Davidb67

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve got a Garmin out-front Mount for my Edge 1030, with the GoPro adapter underneath which currently has a 3D printer holder for an Exposure Trace light.
ive just ordered a bullet-cam purely for traffic related capture, and would like a mount the holds both underneath the Garmin mount, close together.

I’ve bought a “T” shape mount on Amazon but it’s weak thus flexible, but in fact the two fittings either end are way too far apart.

ive had a look on shapeways for a ‘Y” shape GoPro Compatible piece figuring my existing mount for the trace light, and similar for the bullet-cam would go into two ends, with the third attaching to the Garmin mount underside. Can’t see anything suitable.

some aluminium double GoPro fitment items, but the have the attachments all in-line which is no good.

My plan would also be to replace the Garmin out front mount with one that bolts directly to the front of the stem plate.

is anyone running a computer with both an action cam AND a light up-front on the same mount?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.