Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

French brand Dynamic: who knows ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-22, 01:43 PM
FFFietsen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Got this bike last week. Only the frame and wheels are original, all other parts are from other bikes or new. Former owner couldn’t find any info about the brand Dynamic and so can’t I.

Would like to know its provenance. The branding on the frame is done with a couple of stickers, so who knows, it may be a diy job by someone or a really small local brand.

Does anyone know this French brand?

Old 05-04-22, 02:46 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
It's a pretty bike, but it doesn't appear to anything of especially high quality. The crimped tube ends welded to the head tube and the seat tube look crude. I'm not knocking the bike -- it looks like a fine rider -- but just saying that it's likely not valuable as anything other than transportation.
Old 05-04-22, 03:00 PM
FFFietsen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your insight. I don’t have any idea of value, nor am I looking for info about what the value would be. Because of the plastic decals (stickers), I’d assume not very much.
I would like to know however where(which place) the brand is from and who made it. The bike itself looks nice to me also and it rides great.
Old 05-04-22, 04:30 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 196 Posts
Dynamic was a ski manufacturer. They were listed as the bike sponsor of the Spidel Wolber team in the early 1980’s. Despite the branding, the bikes were made by Gitane. It could be that yours was as well.
Likes For El Chaba:
Old 05-05-22, 01:29 AM
FFFietsen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks your info! With it I had a search and found this page about wolber spidel which also states Dynamic was by Gitane. Apart from that, I can’t find anything about the brand. Now I know its provenance, thanks!

​​​​​​https://www.rennrad-news.de/forum/th...kreich.162566/

Originally Posted by El Chaba
Dynamic was a ski manufacturer. They were listed as the bike sponsor of the Spidel Wolber team in the early 1980’s. Despite the branding, the bikes were made by Gitane. It could be that yours was as well.
Old 05-05-22, 03:44 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
French Made Bike?? Gitane??? NON!

FFFietsen I take it you are from The Netherlands.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I've never seen a French made bike with that kind of crude arc welded frame - probably TIG or MIG welding. Definitely not something to come out of Gitane... Looks like a bike from the early 80's ? A photo of the drive side showing the derailleurs and so on would help.

There were at least 3 large French bike manufactures that produced a lot of entry level bikes, Manufrance Hirondelle is one that comes to mind.

The "simple" construction is reminiscent of US "gas pipe" department store bikes from the 1960's and 70's. Note the seat stays and chain stays are one piece of bent tubing on each side of the rear triangle.

The reason I'm being so critical is those kinds crude welds on thin tubing are very prone to cracking and breaking because the carbon in the steel migrates to the heat affected zone of the weld resulting in embitterment in the metal around the weld. They can fail without warning!

Also it's hard to tell without a closeup picture but those cranks appear to have a non standard style BB, something like a German made Thun???

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-05-22 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-05-22, 12:41 PM
FFFietsen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, I’m from The Netherlands. No offense taken for raining or my parade and apparently I’m raining on the Gitane parade.

The link in my post about Dynamic and the wolber spidel crew had some details about Dynamic and where and by whom their Dynamic bikes were made. Obviously those were bikes made for professionals and my bike, a mixte, obviously isn’t. So this one could, like you said, come from another manufacturer.

The logo on those bikes from wolber spidel and mine looks the same however and the brand Dynamic is French like others said. I’m far from an expert, but putting a sticker with ‘fabrication francais’ on something without being it fabricated in France would be quite illegal as far as I know.

The crank, don’t know about that. I’m not in the vicinity of the bike at the moment. And as far as posting pictures from parts goes, I don’t think it would help, since only the frame and wheels are original.

I didn’t expect this bike to be high end, rare or of very much value. However, it is a very smooth ride and it looks the part also, for me that is.

Originally Posted by verktyg
FFFietsen I take it you are from The Netherlands.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I've never seen a French made bike with that kind of crude arc welded frame - probably TIG or MIG welding. Definitely not something to come out of Gitane... Looks like a bike from the early 80's ? A photo of the drive side showing the derailleurs and so on would help.

There were at least 3 large French bike manufactures that produced a lot of entry level bikes, Manufrance Hirondelle is one that comes to mind.

The "simple" construction is reminiscent of US "gas pipe" department store bikes from the 1960's and 70's. Note the seat stays and chain stays are one piece of bent tubing on each side of the rear triangle.

The reason I'm being so critical is those kinds crude welds on thin tubing are very prone to cracking and breaking because the carbon in the steel migrates to the heat affected zone of the weld resulting in embitterment in the metal around the weld. They can fail without warning!

Also it's hard to tell without a closeup picture but those cranks appear to have a non standard style BB, something like a German made Thun???

verktyg

Last edited by FFFietsen; 05-05-22 at 12:47 PM.